Photo

BG1 Areas disappearing from map in BG2.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kharan5876

kharan5876
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:49 PM

It is intentional to have all the BG1 areas go away once you start playing BG2? I think they should stay.
-BGT is a long game, looking back at all those places gives a sense of accomplishment.
-BG1Mods like Dsotsc, Ntotsc, and Bonehill stay on the map which looks kind of odd to have a couple clumps of areas surrounding a big empty space. If the bg1 areas get removed from the map it makes sense that these would also.
-For some reason in my game Ulcaster ruins is still there and when I click on it the game tries to load an area and causes a CTD.

This is BGT beta4 still.

Tweaks and Personal Thoughts:
I think it would be awesome if BG2 and 2 were really one game as in you could go back to BG1 areas and the bg2 chapters just continued to count up after Sarevok. All the npcs would have to be removed from the original bg1 and ported over to BG2 in some fashion. There could even be a mod made later that adds some new quests to the old BG1 locations if you return after playing bg2.

Edited by kharan5876, 24 December 2005 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

Yes, it is intentional. It really is just to ensure that they cannot be accessed.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 kharan5876

kharan5876
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

They cant just be made unassessable? Like the way Bonehill does?

I think that would give it a more professional feel and make it meld better when there are BG1 mods installed that add map areas.

Edited by kharan5876, 24 December 2005 - 08:56 PM.

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

They cant just be made unassessable? Like the way Bonehill does?

I think that would give it a more professional feel and make it meld better when there are BG1 mods installed that add map areas.

I'll see if it works, and if it does, I'll leave the areas there. :)

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

This seems fine. The BG1 areas are unreachable from all BG2 areas, so I won't make them disappear anymore.

--------------
Retired Modder

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

I too like the idea of leaving the areas, but you will get a bunch of people asking why they can't access them any more. :P

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 25 December 2005 - 06:15 PM

Who knows? Maybe someone will get frustrated at that create a mod to take you back there for some reason... :wacko:

Now that I'm on-line at home I really should register... :whistling:

(Wanders off to register.)

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

Well, Vlad's NeJ2 revisits Ulcaster and Ulcaster Ruins, so that has already been done somewhat.

--------------
Retired Modder

#9 sadun

sadun
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

Tweaks and Personal Thoughts:
I think it would be awesome if BG2 and 2 were really one game as in you could go back to BG1 areas and the bg2 chapters just continued to count up after Sarevok. All the npcs would have to be removed from the original bg1 and ported over to BG2 in some fashion. There could even be a mod made later that adds some new quests to the old BG1 locations if you return after playing bg2.

Yup i think the same otherwise what is the purpose of bgt if you dont combine the plots. I mean play bg1+totsc+bg1mods after finishing export your character and play bg2+tob+bg2mods importing your character. Isn't it the same? :whistling:

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:44 AM

Yup i think the same otherwise what is the purpose of bgt if you dont combine the plots. I mean play bg1+totsc+bg1mods after finishing export your character and play bg2+tob+bg2mods importing your character. Isn't it the same? :whistling:

Kind of, but all the NPCs in your party at the end of BG1 get imported straight into BG2, something that you can't get happening if you export from BG1 then import into BG2. For revisiting areas, it would simply be a boring world and will need to be filled, but someone needs to be up to handling all that, and that won't be me. With the chapters thing that kharan mentioned, that is an engine limitation and cannot be done, i.e. the chapter must be reset to 1.

Edited by Ascension64, 28 December 2005 - 03:47 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#11 sadun

sadun
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:37 AM

For revisiting areas, it would simply be a boring world and will need to be filled, but someone needs to be up to handling all that, and that won't be me.

Let the areas revisitable. Make the door open so someone can get in and filling. :P

Edited by sadun, 28 December 2005 - 05:24 AM.

#12 kharan5876

kharan5876
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:41 AM

Kind of, but all the NPCs in your party at the end of BG1 get imported straight into BG2

I think that is one of the most important things that differentiates BGT from Tutu, and it has some bugs at the moment, like the 2 Jahieras.

Also, if you were to go back to the BG1 areas wouldn't the chapter variable reseting cause some problems? Really tho you wouldn't need to add any new content to BG1. Just being able to go back would be cool, it makes the whole BG world feel more massive.

Edited by kharan5876, 28 December 2005 - 11:44 AM.