Further questions and some requests!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bursk

Bursk
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

The g3 thread is here - http://forums.gibber...wtopic=6045&hl=

I thought it would be best to post my other questions in the correct place.

Firstly, can I check that it's okay to make the changes bigg mentioned and reinstall the mod during an existing (albeit a couple of hours in) game. I don't have to completely uninstall the previous, un-altered v3.02 first, do I?

I'd like to also remove the mage HLAs from the mod. Could you please tell me which files to remove? I was wondering if a future version of Refs could include an 'ask about each one' option for each HLA category. This would help increase compatibility with other mods, I imagine, as well as allow people to exclude the changes they don't like.

Regarding Ranger Endurance HLA, is there any way to remove the 25% bonus to movement rate but keep the other benefits? Also, can I remove the movement rate increase of 1 point that the Fighter/Thief Combat Reflexes HLA gives?

Although it's not Refs-specific, is it possible to remove the movement bonuses that monks and barbarians get in the stock game? If so, will the monk Greater Evasion HLA still give the +2 movement rate increase? I'd like it if it did, since this movement rate increase only lasts for 5 rounds. It's the permanent (or long-lasting) increases that I dislike. Do any of the stock game HLAs permanently increase movement rate?

If you have Divine Remix and its Bowslinger kit installed before Refs, could you make it so that instead of the default Ranger HLAs (which is what I believe it gets now) it gets the special Refs Archer HLAs?

A couple of possible bugs (although I do have lots of other mods installed):

If I cast the Paladin HLA Shield of Law then Circle of Law, the effects from both stack. If I cast Circle of Law then Shield of Law, the effects don't stack.

Does Ranger HLA Improved Ambidexterity work properly? I'm still getting '-2 off-hand' instead of 0. Could another mod be interfering?

Sorry for taking up so much of your time. :whistling:

#2 Bursk

Bursk
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:41 AM

I removed the cleric, druid and multiclass .2da files bigg listed in the G3 thread, reinstalled the mod and found that everything works fine, even with a game that's already in progess.

Regarding the repeating visual effects that come with the paladin Holy Aura HLA, I opened tg#hol1.spl in Near Infinity, removed the two 'Play 3D Effect' entries, but also removed the 'Character color 1' entry and the 'Display portrait icon' entry. If I left the 'Character color 1' entry intact then my char would still glow blue every 6 seconds, and 'Display portrait icon' meant that an icon kept appearing and disappearing on the small portrait down the right-hand side.

Removing all four entries gives no visual clues that the HLA is working, so perhaps someone could confirm for me that the four entries I removed were purely visual effects, and that the HLA will still work the same as before.

#3 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

The g3 thread is here - http://forums.gibber...wtopic=6045&hl=

I thought it would be best to post my other questions in the correct place.

Firstly, can I check that it's okay to make the changes bigg mentioned and reinstall the mod during an existing (albeit a couple of hours in) game. I don't have to completely uninstall the previous, un-altered v3.02 first, do I?

I'd like to also remove the mage HLAs from the mod. Could you please tell me which files to remove? I was wondering if a future version of Refs could include an 'ask about each one' option for each HLA category. This would help increase compatibility with other mods, I imagine, as well as allow people to exclude the changes they don't like.

The 'ask class-per-class' thing would be a total waste of time while installing, and I don't feel like coding it. To remove the HLAs from class X, simply remove all 2da files from Refinements/Hlab/X/copy, where X is the name of the class, and perhaps remove also those from Refinements/Hlab/Multiclass/copy, matching the class (they are of the form LUxx0.2da or LUxxx.2da, where xx or xxx is the acronim of a multiclass combo, for example FT0 for Fighter/Thief.

Regarding Ranger Endurance HLA, is there any way to remove the 25% bonus to movement rate but keep the other benefits? Also, can I remove the movement rate increase of 1 point that the Fighter/Thief Combat Reflexes HLA gives?

Again, edit the relevant spells. If you're unsure about which one to edit, you could have to do a bit of juggling between the tra and the tp2, and, if you're unlucky, maybe open another spell (in some cases, the original spell has to cast a secondary spell or somesuch).

Although it's not Refs-specific, is it possible to remove the movement bonuses that monks and barbarians get in the stock game? If so, will the monk Greater Evasion HLA still give the +2 movement rate increase? I'd like it if it did, since this movement rate increase only lasts for 5 rounds. It's the permanent (or long-lasting) increases that I dislike. Do any of the stock game HLAs permanently increase movement rate?

Well, you can write a very cheap tp2 to scan all existing spells and items and remove all effects of type 'Movement Speed Change'. If deleting the effect is too much offset-juggling for you, you can cheat and put zeros in the probability fields :whistling:

If you have Divine Remix and its Bowslinger kit installed before Refs, could you make it so that instead of the default Ranger HLAs (which is what I believe it gets now) it gets the special Refs Archer HLAs?

Yes, we can catch specific kits from other mods; however, catching a kit is currently a complex 400-some lines boring and bug-prone procedure (not for setting the 2da table, but for performing the usual Use Scrolls adjustments).

A couple of possible bugs (although I do have lots of other mods installed):

If I cast the Paladin HLA Shield of Law then Circle of Law, the effects from both stack. If I cast Circle of Law then Shield of Law, the effects don't stack.

:unsure:

Does Ranger HLA Improved Ambidexterity work properly? I'm still getting '-2 off-hand' instead of 0. Could another mod be interfering?

:wacko:

really, I don't have a test game handy and I hate running test games for small inconsistencies like these. For the IA thing, perhaps there's an hardcoded conflict somewhere.

I removed the cleric, druid and multiclass .2da files bigg listed in the G3 thread, reinstalled the mod and found that everything works fine, even with a game that's already in progess.

Regarding the repeating visual effects that come with the paladin Holy Aura HLA, I opened tg#hol1.spl in Near Infinity, removed the two 'Play 3D Effect' entries, but also removed the 'Character color 1' entry and the 'Display portrait icon' entry. If I left the 'Character color 1' entry intact then my char would still glow blue every 6 seconds, and 'Display portrait icon' meant that an icon kept appearing and disappearing on the small portrait down the right-hand side.

Removing all four entries gives no visual clues that the HLA is working, so perhaps someone could confirm for me that the four entries I removed were purely visual effects, and that the HLA will still work the same as before.

Hey, give me some credit here, I should be able to tell visual effects from non-visuals :whistling:

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#4 Bursk

Bursk
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:26 AM

I'm unsure as to why the 'ask class-per-class' thing would be a total waste of time, but I'll take your word for it.

I've been playing around a little bit with NI (I'd never used it before) and feel confident enough that I can alter the HLAs appropriately. Same goes for which .2da files to delete. Thanks for confirming what to do. If you're not used to any sort of editing or modding, it can all seem a bit daunting.

I take it that you're not planning to implement Bowslinger HLAs any time soon. Which is fair enough. Doesn't hurt to ask, though, does it.

Regarding Improved Ambidexterity, just to clarify, I'm getting Main Hand THAC0: 0 and Off Hand THAC0: -2 on the character Record screen, both before and after I've picked Improved Ambidexterity as a HLA. Maybe it does work, but doesn't alter the description on the Record screen.

Finally, I'm sure you can tell visual effects from non-visual effects, but that's not what I was suggesting. I removed the visual entries you mentioned, but I also removed two other entries, neither of which you said to remove. That's why I though I'd ask someone who knows visual from non-visual, and is used to editing and modding, if I'd done it correctly (see the 'daunting' bit above).

Thanks again for your help. It's off to watch the F.A. Cup final for me! :cheers:

#5 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:00 AM

I'm unsure as to why the 'ask class-per-class' thing would be a total waste of time, but I'll take your word for it.

Because for most users it'd default to a lot of repetitive press Y, enter, press Y, enter, and (more importantly) users would costantly bugger me to remove it.

Regarding Improved Ambidexterity, just to clarify, I'm getting Main Hand THAC0: 0 and Off Hand THAC0: -2 on the character Record screen, both before and after I've picked Improved Ambidexterity as a HLA. Maybe it does work, but doesn't alter the description on the Record screen.

Yes, I guessed it the first time :D
Dunno what's up, but, as I said, I don't have a test game ready, so... :crying:

Finally, I'm sure you can tell visual effects from non-visual effects, but that's not what I was suggesting. I removed the visual entries you mentioned, but I also removed two other entries, neither of which you said to remove. That's why I though I'd ask someone who knows visual from non-visual, and is used to editing and modding, if I'd done it correctly (see the 'daunting' bit above).

Oh, right -_-

Effects usually do what they're described to do in either NI or the IESDP (http://iesdp.gibberl...odes/bg2tob.htm), take note of the effect number in NI (EG Armor Class Modifier (0)) and search for #0 in IESDP. if the two things agree (which they do in your case), then most likely they are right :whistling:
(note: IEEP and DLTCEP use files derived from the IESDP, so coincidence of description isn't proof of anything :lol: )

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#6 Bursk

Bursk
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thanks again for the info.

Regarding installing the HLAs, I was thinking more along the lines of having three install options:

1. Install all
2. Ask about each one
3. Install none

I've done some more testing and found that Improved Ambidexterity does work correctly, even though the character record screen still says (provided you have three stars in Two Weapon Style) Main Hand THAC0: 0, Off Hand THAC0: -2. After choosing the HLA, you'll notice that your Off Hand THAC0 is now the same as your Main Hand THAC0.

So it's just the description that's wrong. The main thing is that the HLA works as advertised.