• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#1 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

1. Overview of SMM Package & Documentation

The Standard MegaMod (SMM) Auto-Installation for BG1+ToSC & BG2+ToB is an auto-installation program that helps you install a "mega-modification" of quests/items/scripts extended by the die-hard modding community built around the Baldur's Gate Trilogy series using the Bioware Infinity Engine. Note: "Standard" should be interpreted as common/usual (not minimal, full, custom install)

There are two ways to install the SMM package (refer to full documentation):

Method A - Complete Automation (recommended)
  • Download SMM AutoInstaller + SMM MOD_SOURCE - section 1 in full documentation
  • Auto-download the mods required - section 2 in full documentation
  • Auto-installation procedures - section 4 in full documentation
  • Support for SMM installed games - section 3 in full documentation
  • Download SMM walkthrough - section 1 in full documentation
Method B - Manual Installation (if you have some good reason)
  • Download mods using Mod Links (convenience) - section 1 in full documentation
  • Read SMM Manual Installation Guide - section 1 in full documentation
  • Support for SMM installed games - section 3 in full documentation
  • Download SMM walkthrough - section 1 in full documentation
The full documentation is now available at SMM Auto-Installation for Baldur Gate Fans (Please read beforehand).
This post will now only be the support thread for the SMM Installation. Hopefully, this will help lost souls out there looking just to have some fun in BG again. PS: I tried to include everyone who has helped out in the credits section in the full documentation. Please let me know if I accidentally left your name out.

2. Auto-Installer Bug Reporting

Please report bugs / difficulties in using the installer. Its a great pity there's a large treasure trove mods, but so many non-modders cant play it. Considering features for the next fuss-free autoinstaller release (trying to collect more bugs before releasing), meanwhile going to get into my game again. School has started :( -

Considering features for next release
  • "Apply Settings" to update winrar & bg1 paths to config XML file
  • Suppress zip extraction for selected mods
  • Real-time update of url links in SMM-Config.xml
  • Installation Timer
  • Auto-uninstall BG1 (Issue a prompt before uninstall or zip-up/uninstall) - by Nazar
Identified Bug/Issue List
  • "Download Issue: Wrong mod names in BG2\MOD_SOURCE directory".

[Crowlord said] that the program was expecting those mods to have _'s instead of -'s. All I had to do was change those mods filenames from, for example, AjocsMinimodWeidu-v16 to AjocsMinimodWeidu_v16.

Reason was because the file names on the mirrors changed since the date when the auto-installer was released.
    Solution~ You can rename them manually, or just run this batch file (CLICK HERE) in BG2\MOD_SOURCE directory. Thanks to Crowlord & Sadun.
  • "Unable to manually download ruad-v20.exe". For some reason, the file acts up with some internet browsers, and loads up on the browser instead of initiating a download.
    Solution~

[Rabbi said] to circumvented this by going to http://www.fridgecom...moonfruit/mods/ and right-click save-as ruadv20.exe into the folder.

using Mozilla Firefox or Opera Browser. Thanks to Sadun, Rabbi & Valiad for reporting.

• "Minor Error: Cannot BG1 & Winrar install paths". For some of you, the toolbox will prompt you that it cannot find the proper directories even if they are in fact correct. This is because the toolbox does a quick check that the paths are valid including a BGMain.exe file in your BG1 directory. For some reason, you may not have this file. (Ascension64 adds: Someone needs to confirm, but I believe BGMain.exe doesn't exist on a BG:The Original Saga installation, and only on a 5+1CD BG:TotSC installation)
    Solution~ Create a blank text file and rename it as BGMain.exe in your BG1 directory to by-pass the check before performing the installation (see image below). Thanks to Nazar, Sadun & Jakar for reporting this.
    Posted Image
3. Generic XML Builder for custom mega-mods
For newbies, please ignore this customised demo as its not worth your time figuring out what it does
Yes, I have been saying a thousand times that I won't be customising the package, and I won't. The components in the SMM package will remain the same. But, thanks to Sadun & Azazello feedback, now there's a configurable XML builder that can work with the auto-installer for customised Mega-Mods. See http://moddy.forbesn...k.com/index.php to find out more. Features include (as at 28.12.07):
  • Note: Only for demo purposes, mod listing is not complete.
  • Language selection
  • Mega-mod templating
  • Has the ability to resolve mod-conflicts / mod-requirements - (just that someone has to input those values, which I'm not going to do)
  • Generates a installation xml file + export listing.
  • Since it uses the GUI MM toolbox, it enjoys file protection, simple recovery procedures, as well as controls process threads for fast computers.
===========================================================================

4. SMM Package Downloads

SMM v1.21 Configuration (11 Jan 2008):
AUTO: SMM AutoInstaller v0.10a (26 Dec 07) Attached File  MegaMoshi_v0.10a.rar   698.28K   14976 downloads AUTO: SMM MOD_SOURCE (27 Dec 07) Attached File  MOD_SOURCE121.txt   3.1K   2548 downloads MANUAL: SMM Manual Guide v1.21 (23 Dec 07) Attached File  StandardMegaMod_v1.21.txt   68.2K   3158 downloads MANUAL: SMM Mod Links (viewable) (27 Dec 07) Attached File  ModLinks121.html   21.66K   1793 downloads SMM Walkthrough v0.3 (11 Jan 08) Attached File  BG_Standard_v0.3.txt   278.15K   6101 downloadsIMPORTANT: For manual installations, please note that the links in the Installation Guide 1.21 is outdated. Use ModLinks121.html instead.

SMM v1.25 Configuration (04 Feb 2008):
AUTO: SMM AutoInstaller v0.11a (04 Feb 08) Attached File  MegaMoshi_v0.11a.zip   804.38K   1339 downloads AUTO: SMM MOD_SOURCE1.25 (04 Feb 08) Attached File  MOD_SOURCE1.25.txt   5.03K   1200 downloads IMPORTANT: Recommend using v1.21 above as far as you can, as the bug report/patches were made using a v1.21 game installation. Otherwise, you can still try the game patch files for v1.25 as they may still work. Do backup before applying the patches.
Config v1.25 is updated to the following mod versions:
  • Weidu-2.04.exe
  • BG2_Fixpack-v6.exe
  • BG2_Tweaks-v6.exe
  • BGT105b_Install.rar
  • BGTTweak_v7.rar
  • BPv177a.rar
  • D0Tweak_v20.exe
  • DEFJAM_v6.exe
  • Oversight-v12.exe
  • Ribalds Genie V2.7.exe
  • RR_V382.EXE
  • scsII-v4.exe
  • scs-v8.exe
  • SirinesCall_v72_BGT.rar
5. Game Play Bugs & Reporting

Game Patch Files (for v1.21):
Also, the patch files below are for priority bugs which cannot be resolved through the simple use of CLUAConsole commands. Simply copy them to your override directory (backup the old files beforehand). For the full list of bugs/issues & solutions, refer to Appendix A in the SMM walkthrough (Note: items listed as RCT are from the recent list of issues): ** following issues have been identified recently Older releases below (ignore if unsure)

Attached Files

Edited by bigmoshi, 08 February 2008 - 01:19 PM.

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Infinity Explorer v0.85 (Some fixes for v0.75/v0.80) @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#2 CrowLord

CrowLord
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

bigmoshi

have you played though this install and if so, how buggy is it?

thanks for ur efforts though, there are lots of newbies who would be put off modding by the difficulty of some of the stuff, and this is exactly the kind of thing we need to keep people coming

#3 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Still playing through it. However, it should probably be stable since it varies from Erebusant's installation only slightly. Hopefully, we can catch more bugs and fry them if more ppl just stick to a single installation order.

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#4 BloodCloak

BloodCloak
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Nice guide, you did give numbers 45.1 and 45.2 the same link though

#5 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:17 AM

Thanks BloodCloak, I credited the updated link to you. In addition, section 4.2 of the v1.1 guide documents some minor bugs I have encountered and their respective solutions as of today. Will continue as I play along.

Edited by bigmoshi, 13 December 2007 - 04:20 AM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#6 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

Updated bugs reports & includes walkthrough for locations played to date

Edited by bigmoshi, 16 December 2007 - 09:41 AM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#7 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

Good job on this, bigmoshi.

#8 -Kestutis-

-Kestutis-

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

Hello i need help with this instalation i installed evrything correctly but missed these things to do:

(i-4) Before installing 20_scs-v7,
Open setup-scs.tp2, then go to Line 5098.
Find "EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar3499.bcs~ ~SCSBGT\misc\laureladd.baf~"
and change it to "EXTEND_BOTTOM ~ar3499.bcs~ ~SCS\misc\laureladd.baf~"

(i-5) Before installing 45.1_BPv177,
Open both Spell.IDS in <script compiler> and <override> directories:
For both files, find "2226 COM_STEAM", then insert a line after
that "2227 COM_CATS_GRACE" in that line using the same format.

Is there any way to correct my mistake withouth reinstaling evrything from start?

Thanks for the answer.

#9 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:46 AM

To Salk: Thanks :)

To Kestutis:

I think it should only affect the 3 files below:

(a) Backup AR3499.ARE + ar3499.bcs + SPELL.IDS in your override directory.

(b) Then use replace the ones in your override directory with these ones in files.zip that I have attached.

Otherwise, I think it may be better to just reinstall everything. Good luck.

Attached Files

Edited by bigmoshi, 17 December 2007 - 06:47 AM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#10 -Kestutis-

-Kestutis-

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:50 AM

Thank you verry much!!!

#11 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

Updated new walkthrough areas including SoBH & DSOTSC.

Edited by bigmoshi, 22 December 2007 - 12:02 AM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#12 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

Updates: added in a configurable auto-installer. Try not to tweak the xml file too much, unless you know what components to install. Thanks.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#13 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Updates: added auto-download & summary sections. Plus, reformatted the entire post to improve readability.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#14 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

Well looks great....idea is good for newbies.....however....lol.....I have DL all the required stuff for Auto install/figured out that it did not like names of certain mods (i.e. 2.[1]2 type names) fix that and now the paths for BG1 and winRAR are not being accepted? grrrrrr :o I have tried copy/past into setings to no avail....please hellllllppppppp

Regards Nazar

ps....looking like manual setup would be easier

#15 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi Nazar :D I'll try to help you as best I can. If you want, just PM me i'll pass you my msn.

.. Auto install/figured out that it did not like names of certain mods (i.e. 2.[1]2 type names) fix that ...

I dont quite get this " (i.e. 2.[1]2 type names)", but I sense that the missing mods kicked in?
Or you meant you changed the names in the BG2\MOD_SOURCE directory?

Just to confirm, here's how your BG2, MOD_SOURCE & SMM-Patch directory should look like:
Posted Image

.. paths for BG1 and winRAR are not being accepted ...

You have to edit your BG1/winrar paths. There's a settings tab when you open MegaMoshi.exe just make sure that that you input the path to BG1 directory & winrar to the executable. ie.
BG1 - E:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate
Winrar - C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe

And you have to click on "Apply Settings" after that in case you missed it.

Edited by bigmoshi, 26 December 2007 - 03:58 PM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#16 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

What an amazing work to unify these mods! Congratulations.

I won't be able to run your program (I'm a linux user), but I appreciate any kind of step to ease the use of mods.

Thanks!

#17 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:07 AM

What an amazing work to unify these mods! Congratulations.

I won't be able to run your program (I'm a linux user), but I appreciate any kind of step to ease the use of mods.

Thanks!

Thanks Psykotik! Trying to give a helping hand to whoever needs it, at the same time giving myself some excuse to play BG :P

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#18 sadun

sadun
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:39 AM

Hi Nazar :D I'll try to help you as best I can. If you want, just PM me i'll pass you my msn.

.. Auto install/figured out that it did not like names of certain mods (i.e. 2.[1]2 type names) fix that ...

I dont quite get this " (i.e. 2.[1]2 type names)", but I sense that the missing mods kicked in?
Or you meant you changed the names in the BG2\MOD_SOURCE directory?

Just to confirm, here's how your BG2, MOD_SOURCE & SMM-Patch directory should look like:
Posted Image

.. paths for BG1 and winRAR are not being accepted ...

You have to edit your BG1/winrar paths. There's a settings tab when you open MegaMoshi.exe just make sure that that you input the path to BG1 directory & winrar to the executable. ie.
BG1 - E:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate
Winrar - C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe

And you have to click on "Apply Settings" after that in case you missed it.

Bigmoshi thx for the great work. Let me write my findings.

1- Nazar is right. Apply button doesnt work. I had to edit SMM-CONFIG.xml file manually and put new path.
2- Ruad link not working again had to edit xml file and remove it. Can anyone upload ruadv20 to public pls.
3- Some mod name incorrectly written dont remember which ones but some mods has '-' instead '_' or vice versa. Had to rename mod packages.

Besides this points all gone well installed but couldnt play yet.

Thx...

#19 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:51 AM

1- Nazar is right. Apply button doesnt work. I had to edit SMM-CONFIG.xml file manually and put new path.
2- Ruad link not working again had to edit xml file and remove it. Can anyone upload ruadv20 to public pls.
3- Some mod name incorrectly written dont remember which ones but some mods has '-' instead '_' or vice versa. Had to rename mod packages.

Besides this points all gone well installed but couldnt play yet.
Thx...

Hi Sadun!

Thanks for the feedback.

1. The apply button works doesn't save into XML but it will work during installation (ie. if you applied settings just before clicking on installation). The reason, cos I needed to make sure that the Xml structure works before coding the writing part of the XML feature. It very tedious, but if I have time, I'll do it for the next release. See my first post on the features.

2. ruadv20 was always a problem for me with IE & opera. Two ways to download it. Mozilla Firefox works well for some reason. The other way is thru automation using the MOD_SOURCE.txt file with Freedownload manager I recommended in my write up.

3. Ok sure I'll check on this part. Any clue whether its one them mods at the top of the list or bottom? "Had to rename mod packages" - about how many?

Edited by bigmoshi, 28 December 2007 - 06:52 AM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#20 sadun

sadun
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:32 AM

3. Ok sure I'll check on this part. Any clue whether its one them mods at the top of the list or bottom? "Had to rename mod packages" - about how many?

2 or 3 i think.

Another thing some sub component still needs user feed back for example bg2_tweaks sabre romance cheats component.

By the way can you pls implement choosing mods and components like kovarex did. This way it will be more flexible.

Thanks for the great work...