6 replies to this topic

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

Just checking: I use

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bg1start.2da~ THEN BEGIN

to determine whether a player has BGT installed. Am I doing the right thing? That is, is this file still present in the latest version of BGT?

(Yes, I am downloading BGT at the moment to check this out, but it's going to be another two hours, or so the system says, so.)

I got a report for one of my mods, so I thought I'd check. Because if everything is correct, then apparently the game set Chapter var to 8 after completing Cloakwood and starting DSotSC, which is undestandable, given the DSotSC part, but still... illogical?

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

Just checking: I use

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bg1start.2da~ THEN BEGIN

to determine whether a player has BGT installed. Am I doing the right thing? That is, is this file still present in the latest version of BGT?

Yep, you can do that. The file won't change.

I got a report for one of my mods, so I thought I'd check. Because if everything is correct, then apparently the game set Chapter var to 8 after completing Cloakwood and starting DSotSC, which is undestandable, given the DSotSC part, but still... illogical?

That is most likely DSotSC doing that. It's been a while since I've played it (a very old version), but I do remember forcing a wonky chapter change.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

Kulyok: Maybe adding an area check (if you haven't already, but the report sounded like it happened somewhere else, not in the city)?

#4 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

That is most likely DSotSC doing that. It's been a while since I've played it (a very old version), but I do remember forcing a wonky chapter change.

Okay, thank you very much.

Kulyok: Maybe adding an area check (if you haven't already, but the report sounded like it happened somewhere else, not in the city)?

That would be a cool idea, but: the player returns from Cloakwood, and goes to DSotSC. _Then_ he returns and proceeds with Chapter 5, and goes to Baldur's Gate. Chapter variable=8, area=city, Xan talks about the player's brother. It's inevitable, I'm afraid.

So I'll do what I must (makes a grave face) and say it out loud: wonky chapter changes suck.

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

I meant check for Baldur's Gate city area. Or does DSotSC also play in BG city?

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:30 PM

The player will go to Baldur's Gate city in what is essentially a chapter 5 - still too early for "He is your brother, Luke" conversation.

#7 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

Ah, pity... (I know that you can figure this out by yourself, just wanted to participate in the discussion.)