Photo

BiG help for a small team

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hohoho, we have something special for you!

That's the slogan under which the BiG World Project has been released for quite some time now. With great success, one might add. As the name suggests we aim to include as many mods as possible into one single installation. As you may know, the BG modding community has been and still is very active so there is always much work to do.

All the websites/feeds have to be checked for news and updates, potential changes must be examined and if necessary content has to be checked for errors.

And all the changes have to be into the link list, the BWP PDF documentation, the modding forums and of course all the fix-, text-, install- and setup packs.

Often we have to edit our fixes or make new ones or new conflicts or dependencies occur in all the possible constellations. And all that stuff has to be tested too.

To make things short: you get a relatively small download but there is a hell of a lot of work behind the whole thing!

Conclusion
We can't catch up with it. At least not as we want to. There are too many bug reports to solve and updates to be included and stuff. Just too much work, especially right before a new release. Stressful times are these.

We need you!
You are tired of waiting for the new version? You know answers to questions players might have? You want to give something back to the community?

Then we'd love to welcome you to our team!

We should be able to provide (almost) everyone with something to do. :lol:

We're in dire need of testers. At best people with some WeiDu, Near Infinity (and so on) skills and one who who know a few mods and can provide us with (last minute) tests of mods and fixes prior to a release.

We're in dire need of people who can fix known or self found bugs.

The "reward" for you would be more current stuff to play with.

Since the people around here are a great help, I think the support of the megamod is in good hands here. But if someone is willing to help to provide information or solve problems on their own or take in bug reports and pass them on, we won't turn them down. In the best case, the modders should be informed of the bugs and/or bug fixes too of course. We currently only have one guy to do fixes for the BWP so he needs as few errors left as possible.

We need people directly for the BWP manual or for proofreading. (Obviously nobody proofread this text which is an indicator of how desperate we really are! Cheers to wedge who translated this for me. :D )

As started with the mod-updates-thread, we need people who check the websites/feeds, gather all the news and coordinate the work or can provide us with new impulses and concepts for the whole project.

On the long run we also need translators and people with language skills, respectively. I may remind you that there are French, Italian, Polish, Russian and other common translations in the current mods since English knowledge is not the issue here. Currently, we could need some help for a French translation of the BWS, since one guy started that.

Your Opinion counts
We'd really appreciate it, if people would take the trouble on themselves to write their opinions and criticism down - which means into this forum.

A thread with opinions about mods would be nice too. Do you think a mod is not balanced right to be recommended? Are fights to hard or simply misplaced? Or is a whole mod misplaced and simply doesn't belong in the game? There is a start of that in one thread, but I'd like the idea of having one with some recommendations and no-gos for noobs with some text. We have such a thread in the German forum and it's a great help.

Of course your general opinions and ideas are appreciated as well.

I hope that one or two of you hear the call to accomplish a better (BiG) World and are willing to spend a little of your precious free time with this project. You - and we all together - can improve this project. And therefore lighten up somebodies day with your work.

Thanks for reading!
While I take a nap, your post would be appreciated. :)

Edited by dabus, 03 November 2009 - 10:39 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#2 Graoumf

Graoumf
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Currently, we could need some help for a French translation of the BWS, since one guy started that.

There's a team behind him, and so you can count on us to do it until the end. ;)

I'm going to make a mega install in a few days (actually it starts), without BWP unfortunately, but with these mods:

1) Complete install of BG1 + ToSC (with the patch "TOSC international patch v1.3.5512")
2) Complete install of BG2 + ToB (with the patch "Throne of Bhaal European Patch version 26498")
3) BG2 Fixpack v8
4) TS-BP v6.10
5) BGT-WeiDU v1.08 (31 oct)
6) BG1 NPC Project v18
7) Secret of BoneHill v2.40 (with the patch v245)
8 ) The Lure of Sirine's Call v8
9) The Grey Clan v1.8
10) The Vault_BGT v7.1
11) BG1 UB v9
12) Big Picture-WeiDU v179d
13) BGT-Tweaks v9
14) BG Spawn v1.04
15) BGT NPC Sounds v3
16) Worldmap v7.1 (with the "Original travel times and area visibility" component)
17) DEF-JAM v6

I based this install on an Erebusant's one, almost a year ago. The aims are:
- to test all these mods, so I will report any bugs I'll find, with saves joined like I did for Check the Bodies (I must know when modders need to have saves: just before ? Before entering to the area?...) - I can use NI, but I don't know DLTCEP.
- to test french translations, particularly on the NPC Project and SoBH (in progress) and the Worldmap (done)
- to realise an analysis of SoBH, in game and with .d files (very useful for our translators, and even some foreigners)
- to make some french walkthrough (particularly for The Vault, SoBH, The Grey Clan)

For the moment, I'm in the 6th point. This install is only for BG1. I will see if I purchase in BG2, with others mods.
I'm not a modder, and I have many things to do for the french translators' team 'les d'Oghmatiques', so I can only help like this.

Edited by Graoumf, 03 November 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#3 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Well I love the BiG World Project, so I would love to help out as time allows. As it currently stands, I think I can handle checking for mod updates(I do not have enough time to check for bug reports though). I'll just need to know where you want me to check, what information you'll want, and who I should send it to.

I believe I have previously stated that I would be willing to proofread the english manual, and the offer still stands. Howeve I can't make any promises on when I'll be available to do that because I have law school eating up most of my time. -_-

#4 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

Oh my, I didn't see this thread earlier :P

Well, I'd like to chip in time to time (whenever time allows :P). I know a bit of NearInfinity-fu, and can sometimes proofread stuff in my spare time too :D

And reporting fixable bugs for the BWP Fixpack is also something that I can do ;)

Ah well, ya can count me in as the "Jack-of-all-trades-Master-of-none" kinda guy :P

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#5 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

@Graoumf: I think you already have been in contact with Leomar.
@Ranadiel: Leomar is starting to coordinate stuff and you may hear from him soon.
@Lol: We already had you on our list. And we'll bother you in the future. :D
THINK! - It's not illegal.