• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:50 PM

Err, ladies? I think you both take this argument too seriously. But I suppose it is inevitable, since there is nothing more serious than imaginary word and imaginary characters. ;) Still, take it easy. Pretty please?

Yeah, I know the fate of all pacifists...

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#22 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:15 AM

I'm so sorry you think that contradicting you is the same as baiting you - I would guess that is a pretty difficult worldview to labor under.

I do not think that a literary contradiction should be delivered as a comment on my character that is meant as derogatory. And I am not prepared to 'deal' with personal comments made over internet.

It was not meant to be a derogatory comment on your character. I meant exactly what I said, if you think having a contradictory opinion is the same as baiting you, I honestly do feel sorry for you, no insult intended. If you don't - then good for you.

You contradictions to me also do not constitute a debate. It is a known issue that the same plate you'd desribe as blue I'd describe as yellow. There is no  half-way point, so there is no negotiation and exchange of opinion feasible. Therefore I try to avoid conversing with you - unfortunately not successfully this time. I already slapped my wrist for doing it.

Your choice to make, of course, as is every other post you may choose to make. I still maintain that if you post publicly, you have to be prepared for public responses, and not just from people who agree with you.

Granted, the comment about endearing was barbed. Allow me to appologize for it - and I really mean it. The grand question of "Ellesime - Bitch or Not?" may lay in peace from my claws. I am not going to cry over it and I do not want anyone else cry over it. G.A.M.E. Games Actually Mean to Entertain.

On that, at least, I agree with you. Let's just play the mods we like to play, right?

#23 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:23 AM

Heh, there is nothing more entertaining than watching two girls arguing/debating/fighting over something... ooh, the pure malice.. ;) :lol:

But to say something less off-topic:
Dorotea, it would be truly nice if you'd allow the banters of Jon and the PC to continue at least for a while even if one doesn't happens to be nice with him at the start. It would be overly interesting to see more dialogues on the "non-redemptional" part of the mod too - where Jon stays the bastard he was. What do you say, would you add afew dialogues (2-3 would suffice, really, just to add a bit of an atmosphere for those who do not want him to be redeemed).

Many thanks in advance.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#24 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:08 AM

But what do you mean 'correct' ot 'incorrect' answers or the answers being 'enforced' ? Obviously if you are trying to redeem somebody you dont call them soul-stealing bastard in their face, however much they deserve it. I mean... the whole idea of the mod is that you can have 4 different epilogues and if you despise Irenicus or think to use him as a tool only you have plenty of choices. Seriously, do you truly think I should have given PC the opportunity to tell JI *you are a vile abonimation -- piss of and dont trouble me*, and then expect him to change his ways?

I would say that in order to redeem Irenicus it's absolutely essential, at some point, to tell Irenicus off properly and make him realize exactly what he did and became. Sure, if you greet him with, "You soul-sucking abomination," he'll tune you out, insofar as he can tune out someone he's stuck traveling with, but if he'll tune you out whenever you say something he doesn't like, how can he change at all? And if he never recognizes that the Irenicus who shows up in SoA is a monster, why would he ever change? He'd just keep going, feeling, as always, completely confident and justified in his actions.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#25 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:49 AM

Heh, there is nothing more entertaining than watching two girls arguing/debating/fighting over something... ooh, the pure malice.. ;)  :lol:

LOL! Well, at least there is no mud involved, and no tiny bikinis. ;)

But to say something less off-topic:
Dorotea, it would be truly nice if you'd allow the banters of Jon and the PC to continue at least for a while even if one doesn't happens to be nice with him at the start. It would be overly interesting to see more dialogues on the "non-redemptional" part of the mod too - where Jon stays the bastard he was. What do you say, would you add afew dialogues (2-3 would suffice, really, just to add a bit of an atmosphere for those who do not want him to be redeemed).

Many thanks in advance.

Oh, I definitely second that! Once RL finally permits me to actually play the mod, I fully intend to play with both redeemed and non-redeemed Jon. Some more Evil dialogues would certainly be nice, if Dorotea wants to write them.

#26 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:50 AM

LOL! Well, at least there is no mud involved, and no tiny bikinis.

Actually, I have nothing against tiny bikins, but I prefer girls without mud... ;) :rolleyes: :D

I definitely second that! Once RL finally permits me to actually play the mod, I fully intend to play with both redeemed and non-redeemed Jon. Some more Evil dialogues would certainly be nice, if Dorotea wants to write them.

Exactly my thoughts.
Posted Image

#27 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:52 AM

This is without doubt one of the most interesting and fascinating BG mods I have ever played. Well done! :thumb:

However, in my opinion, the whole concept of redeeming Irenicus is impossible. If there is a character in BG who truly deserves to die and suffer in the worst of Hells after his death, then it is Joneleth Irenicus. While redeeming him, I felt like I was trying to redeem Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot - my point is there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and Jon crossed them all with flags flying. Nothing can justify his actions, and he can only blame one person for his situation - himself.

I was playing an extremely good and noble character, so I did my best to save Irenicus. However, If I ever create a PC in BG who resembles my own character, then Irenicus can stay rotting in Hell.

Anyway, thanks for creating an interesting mod that gave me something to think (and play, of course!) for a while.

#28 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:54 AM

How much easier it is to sit and wait for someone to say your own thoughts... here is another one for me:

However, in my opinion, the whole concept of redeeming Irenicus is impossible. If there is a character in BG who truly deserves to die and suffer in the worst of Hells after his death, then it is Joneleth Irenicus. While redeeming him, I felt like I was trying to redeem Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot - my point is there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and Jon crossed them all with flags flying. Nothing can justify his actions, and he can only blame one person for his situation - himself

No need for a long comment or anything - I agree with every sentence.
Posted Image

#29 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:09 AM

It seems a mod like "All-purpose-Jon-Irenicus" is in demand... :-))))
I already can see the advertisment:
NEW ALL-PURPOSE-IRENICUS !
EVIL Irenicus !
Good Irenicus !
Redeemed Irenicus !
Romanced Irenicus !
Ellesime and Irenicus !
<insert name here> Irenicus !

:-)))))))))) (can't help myself)...

It's great people see it in so many different ways.

#30 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:18 AM

You can have MUCH room for all these (I know some of them sound strange) by allowing the player greater freedom in dialogues. That is why I advised to add more "Evil" dialogue options, and definitely don't break the line when someone answers him less politely... ;)
Posted Image

#31 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:00 AM

How about if the PC reprimands or insults Irenicus, he actually counters back with an explanation of why he did what he did, and the PC can then change his/her mind?

#32 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:34 AM

However, in my opinion, the whole concept of redeeming Irenicus is impossible. If there is a character in BG who truly deserves to die and suffer in the worst of Hells after his death, then it is Joneleth Irenicus. While redeeming him, I felt like I was trying to redeem Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot - my point is there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and Jon crossed them all with flags flying. Nothing can justify his actions, and he can only blame one person for his situation - himself.

I was playing an extremely good and noble character, so I did my best to save Irenicus. However, If I ever create a PC in BG who resembles my own character, then Irenicus can stay rotting in Hell.

You know it is funny how different minds work... I must be weird or something is terribly wrong with me but... my first reaction upon seeing the SoA ending was WHAT?!! And THAT was it? No feeling of the job well done, no triumph, only feeling of extreme wretchedness for finishing off a person who was basically ripped of his soul and thrown out to rot for gods only know how long to 'repent' and ask forgiveness - and who instead did his best to take revenge.

See, I might be wrong again... and it is indeed very noble and just to rip off your lover's soul as an act of punishment and a way to enforce obedience. But I simply cringe at the very thought of it.

I am not sure... but I imagine I would have done the same, were I put in similar circumstances as he. In fact the best way IMHO to make a person commit worse and worse acts is to punish them after each one and mentor them -- you deserve it, you should recognize how bad was a deed and repent and seek forgiveness.

Maybe it works in some cases... in most cases it does not.

I would agree with you on the matter of Irenicus being un-redeemable... if not for these 2 little facts: he admits that he 'tried' to remember the feeling of love and could not (Unleash the denial here and try to prove to me that he is lying - he can feel but does not want to and the lack of soul is a minor detail insignificant on the grand scheme of things); he calls himself wretched and admits that what he is doing is wrong and is a terribly painful thing. (Unleash the rightful anger here and prove that he never admits anything of a kind and that his diaries are a sham and when he tells you 'mercifully quick' and Imoen 'suffered' he is doing it to gloat not to semi-apologize -- but we have already bee through this discussion and I obviously have a different view).

On the side note -- I was replaying Torment for the last week or so and it struck me that Nameless One in fact had commited as bad atrocities and JI in his past... and yet we commiserate with him while JI is compared with Hitler etc etc... I think the reason is the view that these 2 different games force us to take as players.

PC suffers JI crimes 'directly'. It is near impossible to forgive someone who torture YOU 'precious' personally (and your little sister). (Domi -- here is your spot to jump on me again and claim that you really care more for that nameless elf #xxx than for you PC -- yup I know you are noble)

Nameless One is your alter ego... and you are put into his shoes and forced to relieve HIS life... therefore you are forced to believe he can change and be redeemed.

I am still glad that at least by playing

extremely good and noble charcater

it was possible to some to roleplay the 'good' path.

So, to end my rant what I tried to do in LR was to work redemption from a different angle -- make it come from inside rather than enforce it. Ie Irenicus experience double shock in the LR -- first that of the shared emotions, and it is up to PC what to send through that link that you two share. And second when arriving to Elysium -- which is a Plane that has a gate opened to Arvandor, and seeing the demon change and accept the concept of 'evil is suffering'.

I say if I did not convince the majority of players that Evil is indeed Suffering and that forgiveness less painful and more gratifying that the sweetest of revenges -- so be it. At least I tried.

PS

To be continued on other aspects of this discussion later. Chuckle. I do have to attend to my work sometimes.

Edited by dorotea, 09 September 2004 - 06:39 AM.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#33 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:41 AM

See, I might be wrong again... and it is indeed very noble and just to rip off your lover's soul as an act of punishment and a way to enforce obedience. But I simply cringe at the very thought of it.

I am not sure... but I imagine I would have done the same, were I put in similar circumstances as he. In fact the best way IMHO to make a person commit worse and worse acts is to punish them after each one and mentor them -- you deserve it, you should recognize how bad was a deed and repent and seek forgiveness.

Dorotea, you forgot that he was not punished without reason. After all, he was guilty.

#34 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:43 AM

No I did not. The fact that you are punished with a reason does not usually play into your mind right after you are punished IHMO. You need time to contemplate and realise WHY you were punished. And I cannot see how you can have moral doubts and feel remorse without a soul...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#35 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:46 AM

No I did not. The fact that you are punished with a reason does not usually play into your mind right after you are punished IHMO. You need time to contemplate and realise WHY you were punished. And I cannot see how you can have moral doubts and feel remorse without a soul...

OK, let's execute Irenicus. :D His head shall roll under the axe...

#36 -dorotea-

-dorotea-

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:19 AM

Actually, I kind of agree that execution (if the True Death can be granted with no burning in Hell) is the best solution... But well, vengeful souls out there can argue that every second of your enemy burning is a balm on your spirit and great consolation to victims. I disagree, since somehow I believe that inflicting torture on a torturer only turns you into his mirror image, but who am I to argue the 'eye for eye' postulate, eh? Once again -- you can rolepaly LR the way you see fit, I tried my best to give at least one path to redemption that felt a bit more genuine than 4 conversations and Bingo! a CG personality is born...

I still feel more evil dialogs are a good idea btw. I will work on it in the future.

#37 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:46 AM

PC suffers JI crimes 'directly'. It is near impossible to forgive someone who torture YOU 'precious' personally (and your little sister).

Absolutely true. Irenicus did so horrible things to the PC and Imoen that I find it almost impossible to believe anyone could even consider forgiving him. I don't know, maybe there are such noble people somewhere - but I do know I'm not one of them.

So yes, Irenicus in the LR does give the player some interesting roleplaying opportunities. And I agree that there should be more evil dialogues, too.

Like I said in my post earlier, this is a fascinating mod. I think it's always a good sign when a mod leads to so much debate! ;)

PS. When playing PS:T I always thought the main character gets what he deserves, his crimes being so great (though the nature of some of these crimes remains vague). Maybe I'm one of those 'eye for an eye' people...Hammurabi knew what he was doing! :P

#38 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:40 AM

How much easier it is to sit and wait for someone to say your own thoughts... here is another one for me:

However, in my opinion, the whole concept of redeeming Irenicus is impossible. If there is a character in BG who truly deserves to die and suffer in the worst of Hells after his death, then it is Joneleth Irenicus. While redeeming him, I felt like I was trying to redeem Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot - my point is there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and Jon crossed them all with flags flying. Nothing can justify his actions, and he can only blame one person for his situation - himself

No need for a long comment or anything - I agree with every sentence.

SSP time - This notion formed the basis of my Keldorn banter!

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#39 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

I am not sure... but I imagine I would have done the same, were I put in similar circumstances as he.

The same?

I think you're not paying nearly enough attention to what happened before Joneleth lost his soul. He was willing to endanger the Tree of Life, to risk killing all elves everywhere, for the sake of his own power. Even in the unmodded game, Ellesime admits it was a terrible mistake that created Irenicus, but Joneleth was already a monster before Irenicus was born. His choices made him one, nothing else.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#40 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:45 PM

Hey -- I am eeevil witch, have you seen my title ? ;) I suck Trees of Life for breakfast...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes