8 replies to this topic

#1 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:55 AM

Kill one man and you're a murderer
Kill many men and you're a conquerer
Kill them all and you're a god

This is my account of Soloing BP-BGT-NEJ from the start in humble Candlekeep to the grand, climactic ending in the Throne of Blood, using the Warlock template. Its my purpose to thorougly understand and utilize cleric spells, and not utilize arcane magic at all. And to win the game. That's always important. Although, I'm a little worried about being able to take on all of the Five at once with a single-class cleric character, not to mention the Improved Irenicus battle at the end of SoA. But I suppose we'll get to that eventually eh?

Here is a complete list of all the mods installed for this game. If you know of any more I coudd squeeze in here, especially ones that could help out a single-class cleric character, please let me know.
  • The Big Picture, BP-BGT edition, which of course includes Tortured Souls and The Darkest Day
  • the Neverending Journey (currently only 1, perhaps 2 if they finish before I get there)
  • Ajoc's Minimod
  • Secret of Bone Hill v0.5
  • Freedom's Reign
  • Reign of Virtue
  • KR's Difficult Brown Dragon v1.3
  • Munchmod v2.5
  • PlanarSphereMod (clerics don't benefit but I DO have it installed for other games)
  • Planar Sphere Return mod (same thing here)
  • ItemUpgrade mod for both SoA and ToB
  • Underrepresented Items mod v2.0
  • Valen Mod (since Warlocks can summon vampires as undead minions I'm considering using her as a permanently-summoned vampire if I can't hack the later game. We'll have to see)
  • One Pixel Productions graphical fixes
The Usurper (13,13,17,16,18,3) is a Lawful Evil Human Warlock. Warlocks are said to have turned their spiritual power as a cleric to evil and selfish use, and that is just what the Usurper has done. He is powered in his spellcasting by a fervent, devout belief in himself as a superior spiritual being upon the face of Faerun. He first developed this idea while growing up in Candlekeep, learning the beginnings of the way of the cleric from the local priest of Oghma. While the Usurper begins this saga ignorant of his heritage and without any clear goals but survival, it is certain that as soon as he understands his heritage he will make a supreme effort to gain the Throne of Bhaal by any means necessary. He will even attempt to emulate his brother Sarevok, once he knows of his plans, to bathe the Sword Coast in a sea of blood. If at all possible he will try to kill every single NPC in the game (yes even the children). In the meantime, he usually tries to pose as a Lawful Good cleric of no particular god, until it is convenient to act in his true nature. Like when nobody is looking. Or when its time to split the gold.

This is his story.

Edited by Usurper, 12 September 2004 - 06:06 AM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#2 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:57 AM

Roleplaying Introduction

I always knew I was special.

Isn't it obvious? Ahh, well, perhaps not to you. You can't ever expect too much from the rabble. Nevertheless, I have always been different from other people. I could tell. The things that I'd rather spend my time doing are things normal denizens of Candlekeep do not consider, and the things that excited these stuffy monks I could barely stand. My father Gorion made several vain attempts to instill within me the distasteful and ultimately futile values of his Order. He taught me all about exactly the kind of things I did NOT want to do when I grew up. He tried to teach me magic, he tried to teach me the importance of keeping balance in all things. He tried to teach me to respect pretty much everything and everyone. But I knew... I knew I was destined for higher things.

Although I only had a vague feeling of impending destiny when I was younger, I spent much of my spare time training with the Watchers of the Keep in their staff fighting. Their use of staves and full platemail armor seemed quite effective to me, and I tried to learn it as best as possible. The possibility of death in the air when we practiced was quite exhilarating.

I spent the rest of my spare time listening to the priests in their prayers and orations. I listened intently as priests of one god or another expounded upon the merits of humbling themselves before their gods (and tried to keep from laughing in their faces). I snuck out at night and heard the secret prayers, the muttered invocations. I began to study their ways, and the link between the priests and their gods. It was difficult, and to be honest I feared the wrath of one god or another during my tentative experiments. But after a time, I found ancient scrolls in Candlekeep that aided me, and learned the rules of deities. And, in time, I learned to emulate the power of the priests without having to emulate their horrible abasement to their gods. I had a breakthrough you could say, a few weeks ago. I now believe I have the same power at my disposal as an initate in any religion, and I think that with practice I can easily get stronger.

A messenger just came to me, and told me that Gorion wanted to speak with me. I sense change in the air. Perhaps... perhaps I will get to leave these walls. Perhaps I will finally get to see the world. Perhaps... perhaps I will be able to kill.

Edited by Usurper, 12 September 2004 - 06:08 AM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#3 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:58 AM

**Chapter 2 (Day 1, lvl 1)

(the previous days consist of narrowly escaping with my life on numerous occasions, and consistently killing 1 monster out of a pack and then beating a hasty retreat. I almost gave up on this character template because it was so frustrating, without hardly any valuable spells at such early levels. But I got xp somehow... it just wouldn't make for very interesting reading. Algernon's cloak gave me the hope to go on, really)

Day 16 (lvl 4)

I finally found a journal to write in. Not to mention, the money to buy it. Thus the saga begins.

Its been over two weeks, and I still can scarcely belive it. Gorion is dead. My former home refuses to accept me back. I'm reduced to paying week rates at an Inn in a town I've never seen before. In addition, Gorion is dead.

I'm in Beregost. I stay at the Feldpost Inn. Its cheap, only 1 gold coin per day. I have been supporting myself by going out each day north of the city, and hunting xvarts. Sometimes, gibberlings. Occasionally bandits.

Last week, I met a man named Algernon. He was all by himself, and was quite rude to me. I killed him. Nobody saw. I took his cloak, and have discovered that I can charm people with it. It seems that's all I do these days; a few Prayers of Strength, charm the nearest enemy, and the battle is won. Most of the time.

I charmed an Ogre today, who fought quite well, until he died. Heh. He was carrying some girdles on him when he died. I took them to the smith, and had them identified. One was a girdle of piercing, the other a girdle of sex change. I sold that one.

I hear lots of rumors about things to the southwest, but every time I go there I'm driven away by ogres, or massed skeletons, or too many ghouls. I need to gain power over these undead. All will come in time.

Oh, and there seems to be a bounty out on my head. Several people have already tried to collect. What is going on?

Day 17

There's a temple to the east of Beregost. Fought some dogs near there. You know, I wonder what made that Imoen girl decide to follow me out of Candlekeep? I can't imagine why she would think I'd let her come along. At least she gave me her healing potions, and her wand of magic missile. Although those are all gone now, I would probably be dead if it wasn't for them. Some day, maybe I'll thank her.

Day 18

I ran into a group of hobgoblins, led by one Cattack. They demanded my money or my life. I had a dog with me, so instead of giving in I charmed Cattack, cast Hold Person on half of his cohorts, and the three of us killed first the non-held hobgoblins and then the helpless ones. They didn't stand a chance. I actually healed Cattack a few times. He was a good slave for the next few hours. He died defending me from a pack of wild dogs. I could get used to minions.

I tried to travel south this evening, and met some Ghasts. No matter how hard I tried, I could not turn them. I refuse to believe that there is a flaw in my methods. I only need practice. I am of divine blood! I know this!

I earned enough money today to buy platemail.

Day 19

I travelled to the Larswood northeast of Beregost, looking for new game. Found alot of gibberlings. Too many gibberlings, who drove me away from a blood-stained rock. I must come back some day, and find out what that was all about.

When I got back to Beregost, I stopped by a place that belonged to this dwarf named Kagain. He wanted to hire me to find a lost caravan, and come with me to do it. I said fine. After several hours of searching, however, he gave up and said we could do whatever I wanted to do. What I wanted to do was take his helmet, so he gave it to me. Its gold, I like it. I left him back at his shop.

Day 20

I decided to make a trip up to the Friendly Arm Inn. On the way, I was minding my own business, when a group of about 10 bandits and 2 half-ogres attacked me. Thankfully, Algernon's cloak saved the day, as I was able to charm the half-ogres and then 2 or 3 of the bandits, and they killed each other off. That was a heck of alot of arrows coming my way for the first minute or so, though. Good thing those bandits can't aim. I was able to take the scalps of the dead bandits, which I have rolled up in my pack. Maybe someone will pay me for them.

Those two wierdos are eyeing me again from the corner of the Friendly Arm Inn. They said that they were waiting for me and Gorion, once. How can I know they are telling the truth? Someone attacked me at the steps of this very Inn, and if it weren't for the guards here I would have died. Maybe they are his accomplices? Trust no one. Easier to stay alive that way.

When I went upstairs, some utter fool gave me, of all things, his pantaloons. Golden ones. I took them, alright, and I'm going to pawn them off at the first opportunity. As soon as I can find a buyer...

Apparently, the clearing just north of the Friendly Arm Inn was a home to hobgoblins. Now it is their grave.

Four hours north, I've encountered a farm. Or, I think it is a farm. But before I could get close enough to check, a disgusting green creature erupted out of the ground and attacked me with... something. I'm almost dead now. My hand can't stop shaking. I need rest. Lots of rest.

Day 21

Time for another try at those green monsters. I'm tired of running, tired of being pursued by any thing that has a mind to pursue me. They will know the fury of the Usurper.

Well, not five minutes later I've found Ajantis, a Paladin of Helm of all things. "Halt, be ye friend or foe!" he says. Being... pre-occupied by my newfound crusade, I snap out, "When was the last time someone answered foe, you tinhead. Why don't you tell me who the hell you are?" Ajantis seemed offended, and said, "I have not come across such rude travellers in a long time; off with you." By this time I saw his armor, his shield, and most of all his look of righteous defiance, and I immediately changed my tone. "I apologize for my hasty words, can we start over again?" I asked. He replied, "I am Ajantis, squire paladin to Lord Helm. I have come down from the city of Waterdeep to fight against these brigands that make the roads unsafe to travel. What of you?" I thought for a moment, then told him what he wanted to hear. "I too want to put and end to the bandit raids." Ajantis' self-righteous face lit up, and he eagerly replied, "In that case, why do we not join forces against these contemptible law breakers?" I almost had to laugh, but I only replied, "Sounds good to me, I'm always on the lookout for a good sword arm." And then, he was mine.

I managed to talk him into leading the way as I leaned on my staff, almost seeming like I had a limp. Shortly we came across a rather large hole in the ground, and we went inside it. My suspicions were confirmed when not five steps into the hole, we were attacked by one of those green monsters. Ajantis protected himself from evil, while I began throwing Magic Stones at the creature. The paladin fought well, but I thought he might die there. Then, just as it seemed he must surely fall, he got an exceptional hit on the beast's head, and it fell. Unfortunately, I had an extra Magic Stone and nowhere to throw it, so I threw it at the Paladin. He fell in glorious combat, and isn't that what those types all look for? I'm sure Helm was happy with him.

The monster left a rather heavy shell, but with several prayers of strength I was able to carry it, and I started back south. Perhaps the smith in Beregost could do something with this. I needed some kind of booty for my battle, after all. I had almost died! It could not be for nothing.

Day 22

I finally got back to Beregost, but I was so weary from my journey that I collapsed at the outskirts of the city to rest. I was rudely awakened by a Flaming Fist mercenary, who told me to get a room, of all things! I waited until he left, and then went back to sleep. They will pay, some day, oh yes.

Taerom Fuiruim, the local blacksmith, offered to pay me 500 gold for the shell of the beast, which he called an ankheg. He also calls himself Thunderhammer. Some people. When I declined, he offered to make me a suit of platemail out of it for 4000 gold! I've only got 2945 on me. He said the shell would spoil in ten days, so I'll have to work fast. I stashed the shell in a back room in the Jovial Juggler. Nobody ever goes back there anyways.

Both the smith and the town crier that I passed mentioned a bounty on the head of Bassilus, and I remembered a cleric of Lathander at the temple who said he was southwest of the city. So there is where I need to go.

Day 23

I finally got to the general vicinity of where they said the cleric would be. I was attacked by some half-ogres, who I immediately charmed. Then I was attacked by some skeletons, who I immediately turned. Then I had to chase the half-ogres as they chased the frightened skeletons across half the countryside. Great.

Me and the half-ogres met some more skeletons, and then a pack of gnolls. The gnolls took out two of my half-ogres, but I gained two of their number to replace them.

We met a sorry band of adventurers turned bandits a few minutes later, who demanded my money or, of all surprising things, my life. After some consideration, I opted to kill them instead. The fighter, Teyngan, charged my gnoll/half-ogre bodyguards while the mage, Jemby, cast mirror image. I charmed her right after she finished the spell, and politely asked her to cast magic missle at Teyngan. She obliged, but then was struck in the back by something I did not see. She managed to get off one more magic missile before she died for me. Teyngan managed to work his way through my half-ogres before I downed him with a Magic Stone, and we advanced on Jemby's corpse. Then, we saw what had killed her. A hobgoblin named Zekar had been the third member of the party, and had shot her when she switched sides in the middle of the fight. We bravely avenged her death, first by me casting Hold Person on the stupid hobgoblin, and then allowing my remaining pets to beat him down. I took their money, their scalps, a potion of healing, all the scrolls on Jemby's body, and continued on my way.

Shortly after that, I came upon quite a few gnoll corpses that I did not remember killing. A rather darkish elf approached me and asked for my help in killing the gnolls. Looking around, I saw only the gnolls under my control, but I assumed there could be some others hidden nearby, so I agreed. Then the crazy elf attacked my own gnolls, killing them both in a single hit. When they were dead, he mumbled something unflattering about me not joining in on the fight, and then walked off. Quite uneventful.

Looking through all my accumulated loot, I judged that I had enough to make 4000 gold, so I returned to Beregost without even seeing Bassilus.

Day 25

I stopped by the Jovial Juggler to get the ankheg shell after resting and relaxing at the Feldpost Inn, as usual. I had about 4500 gold pieces, and I was feeling the burning pockets. But when I thought about it, besides the Ankheg platemail, there was really nothing to buy in Beregost. I need to get out of this town. Then a paladin in the Jovial Juggler approached me, congratulating me on my fight with the half-ogres. He gave me 400 gold, a shield, and praised my name in gratitude. Surprised, I almost smiled.

That bandit Thunderhammer says it will take ten days to make my ankheg platemail! What am I going to do until then? Bah. I have about 1300 gold pieces, and I've done nothing but fight for my life for three solid weeks. I'm taking some time off. Then again, I think I could get alot better in battle if I practiced just a little bit more... Alright, fine. I'm going back on the hunt for Bassilus.

Day 27

Bah! I've been running from wolves for two days now. First a Dread Wolf southeast of Beregost, and now two Worgs ambushed me on the trek south from the first wolf. It just seems too difficult to smack one with my staff, and they don't get charmed by my dazzling cloak. Is there no justice in this world?

I found some hobgoblins, and I charmed most of them. Then I found some more, and charmed them too. My new army and I then ran into some ghouls, who immediately attacked my pets. Instead of attacking, I tried intensely to turn the ghouls, to no effect. Then, one of my hobgoblins killed a ghoul, and I finally realized what I had been missing! Using my newfound techniques (lvl 5) I managed to frighten the ghouls into running away. Ha! My goblins and I made short work of them, then.

As soon as I had put down the last ghoul, a strange peasant named Kissiq ran up to me, and then demanded I stay back unless I caught a disease from him. When will the stupidity of the world end, I wonder? Then, he told me of a talking chicken. I almost killed him right there, but the look on his face made me wonder, so instead I asked for details. He said it was to the east, and then ran off in a confused daze.

Swearing that I would hunt him down and kill him if he was wrong, i went to the east. To my complete surprise, a chicken was indeed there, and did indeed talk to me! He explained his... foul situation (ha!), and I made as many jokes as I could, in between bouts of laughter. When he mentioned that he could reward me if he was returned to his normal shape, I agreed to take him with me. I stuck him in my pack, but instead of heading north to where he asked me to go I and my hobgoblins headed south.

There was one area that I had not yet checked in my search for Bassilus, and it was there that he ended up being. I saw him surrounded by quite a few undead, and so I sent my hobgoblins in first.

The fool spoke to me and thought I was his father, so I played along looking for some advantage. It worked fine, until he realized that his father had died. Why he would believe the corpses around him were his now-dead family and not believe I was his father is a mystery unique to his twisted mind, I suppose. For some reason, as soon as he attacked, all the skeletons in the area dropped dead. And here I was, fully prepared to turn them all. My two remaining hobgoblins attacked him professionally, one running forward to take him in melee combat and the other one hanging back to shoot poisoned arrows at him. I threw a few Magic Stones and he fell. I took his things, including his holy symbol, and went north to High Hedge.

I dropped the chicken off at High Hedge, but the wizard there didn't seem to be too happy to see me, and I never got a damn thing. I should have eaten that chicken.

Day 28

I've returned to the temple of Lathander with Bassilus' holy symbol, and I was greeted with 5000 gold coins! I've used 2500 to buy as many healing potions as I can carry, which turns out to be 15. My platemail still isn't done yet, so I think I'll go back to see what all those gibberlings were up to north of town.

Day 30

This time my healing potions let me keep fighting through two groups of gibberlings and a pack of dread wolves without a pause, although I used up the last of the potions doing it. I managed to make some headway into the gibberlings' territory, and i saw a strange tower, but my pack was filled with loot and i decided to return and sell it.

Day 31

Plate STILL not done. Back to the Conquest of the Gibberling Empire.

Day 33

These battles go slowly. I need a better staff. Back to Beregost!

Day 36

I've bought a better staff from Thunderhammer than my silly piece of wood, and he's finally done with my platemail. Now I'm green, but I feel much better protected as well. Lets see how I stand up to those gibberlings now!

I ran into some hobgoblins on the way to Larswood. They couldn't touch me, and when i drew upon my holy might, my staff made much shorter work of them. I think things are looking up.

Day 37

I've got a new strategy now. First, I walk around in the forest under a Sanctuary, until I find new enemies to fight, such as wolves, bears, or gibberlings. Then I retreat until I am out of their sight, and throw a glyph of warding in their general area. They are either seriously injured or dead, and the survivors attack me. I have found that I can always survive a second glyph exploding at my feet, while my enemies rarely can. If that does not kill everyone, my new staff can hurt them pretty well. Sometimes, I don't even get hurt by the glyph at all. If I do get hit, I can simply heal myself and move on.

I had some bear friends and a wolf following me today. Will the wonders of this cloak never cease? We came upon a strange stone building that looked like it was just beginning to be built. A fool named Osmadi yelled at me, accusing me of killing his brethren. I denied it, but he would not be convinced, and so me and my animals had to put him down.

Another man named Corsone seemed to be under attack by several bears, so we helped him kill the bears. He thanked us for the help, and congratulated us for killing Osmadi, who he said was insane. Something about his eyes looked like a killer to me, and under repeated questioning he admitted that he needed Osmadi dead, and attacked me and my animals. He died.

It seems that none can stand against the might of the Usurper. I must... I must... what must I do now?

Day 39

This pointless fighting and wandering was getting me nowhere, so I decided to leave Beregost. There's nothing here for me anyways. I don't know why I stayed there so long. Of course, why should there be anything for a friendless wanderer anywhere, unless he takes it? I'm going to Nashkel.

Day 40

I was stopped by a Flaming Fist mercenary on the way to Nashkel. He accused me of being a bandit, but I was able to talk him out of it. These Flaming Fist mercenaries are really getting on my nerves.

Edited by Usurper, 12 September 2004 - 06:09 AM.

#4 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:59 AM

**Chapter 3 (lvl 5, 41 days)

Day 41

I arrived in Nashkel at night, only to be attacked by 5 Amnish soldiers without even so much as a word! (rep of 3, d'oh!) They disrupted my first attempt at casting a sanctuary, but I was able to get my second one up before I died. It was close. They immediately left, heading south, so I tailed them to see where they were going. I became quite angry when I realized that they were simply patrolling the main road in town. Do they simply attack all travellers on sight? How are they better than the hobgoblins I fought through to get to this stinking town?

I slipped into the Inn, prepared to sleep the night away, and hoping they would be gone by morning. I should have known what would happen next, but I suppose I was distracted by escaping one near-death experience. A woman approached me named Neira, a priest by the look of her, and seemed quite happy to see me 'stroll in here, bold as day'. Even then, I didn't guess what she wanted with me, until she started talking about her reward. Inwardly groaning, I began casting a spell. Neira began casting the same spell at almost the same moment, and our mirrored motions and chants almost made me lose my concentration. Thankfully, I finished a half a moment before she did, and she was Held. After that, it was simply staff work. It always seems to be staff work. I need to get a better staff. Neira had a pretty fancy Helm of Infravision on her, which I was able to recognize. I put it on, putting my once-favorite golden helm in my backpack.

With her dead on the Inn floor, I asked the innkeeper for a room. He didn't seem to mind the mess, and I got a good deal.

Day 42

I dreamed last night. I saw the day that Gorion and I left Candlekeep, over and over. I saw Gorion die many times. The figure in armor that killed him seemed to become more powerful, and more striking, every time that I viewed the scene. I *MUST* have power like that. I will not be caught unprepared and end up dead on the side of the road like Gorion. No matter what, I will survive, I will excel, I will dominate. I have to. Any other path is unthinkable. Now, where does one find such power as that figure has?

This morning I cloaked myself in my own sanctuary and strolled out of the Inn, looking for those guards. They were still there, and still seemed like they would attack me on sight if they noticed me. I pondered what to do. Although I was quite angry at them, Amn, and the rest of the multiverse, I thought it unwise to begin a personal war with a nation. Perhaps when I became as powerful as that figure in my dream, yes, but not now. I decided to see if the nearest temple could help an innocent, good, and yet misunderstood cleric.

Apparently the temple was able to help an innocent, good, and yet misunderstood cleric with 5000 gold, because that's how much it cost me to clear my reputation with everyone except those guards who had already been told to kill me. Thinking of the dispensation I had already been given by the cleric, I wondered if I could get away with killing those guards. I decided to simply slip around, past, and by them as much as I could. A minor inconvenience, but one that can be remedied.

When I went back outside, the mayor noticed me and invited me to investigate what's been going wrong with the Naskhel mines. I suppose I don't have anything better to do all day besides dodge bow-toting guards, so I agreed.

But first, I wanted to explore the rest of the town. I darted across the road when no guards were present, and then explored west. On a bridge over a small stream, I met a wizard named Edwin who wanted to hire me for a job. I agreed, and he told me that we should head west to a gnoll stronghold, so that's where we're heading. Maybe by the time I get back those Amnish soldiers will no longer feel like shooting me every time I walk by.

Oh. I've discovered that I can suck some of the life out of people. I don't know when it started, but I never remembered being able to do it before. Must be my divine essence asserting itself. Edwin calls it "Larloch's Minor Drain", whatever that means, and seems to cast that spell repeatedly throughout the day. I can only do it once, but much faster. I think he's jealous.

Day 43

We camped out in the middle of nowheresville. I can't wait to get this job over with. I can hardly stand this Edwin character. Maybe after he pays me I'll find some way to kill him. Yes... kill him. It seems death is the answer to so many problems these days. Heh. Too bad its not the answer to all of them. Hrm...

We encountered a winter wolf, and I remember the shopkeeper at Naskhel saying he'd like a winter wolf pelt. We killed it with no trouble. And, this bastard Edwin seems to be able to simply summon monsters to fight for him, saving me the trouble of wandering all over the place looking for ones to flash my cloak at.

Day 44

We're at the gnoll stronghold. I've decided to try out animating the dead to help us. It seemed to make Bassilus pretty scary to most of Beregost. And Edwin claims he can cast a haste spell to make them even more deadly. It sounds good. Too bad I can barely stand to be at the same campfire with this freak.

So far we've met more Xvarts, and two Ogrillions who tried to hold the bridge against us. We've killed them all. My skeletons are surprisingly effective. I simply let them handle all the fighting. Edwin seems pre-occupied, and lets them fight as well. Its snowing.

Apparently the cliffs around here are part of a xvart metropolis. They're all over, in every cave. We've been able to leave the skeletons outside and lure the xvarts to come attack us outside, so the skeletons can do their work. They are exceedingly good at it. I am beginning to be fond of them. Only once did they fail us, when we were deep in a cave and met a carrion crawler. Edwin was able to summon in a worg, however, so we were once again safe. Maybe I should have been a mage...

I believe the Xvarts are all dead now. We are xavrtidoom.

Day 45

We rested up after our ordeal. Nothing makes you more tired than watching the silent dead destroy the annoying living for hours on end. Now, time to storm the gnoll keep. With fresh skeletons, this should not be a problem.

Edwin has become useful, somewhat. He has been able to carry the treasure that I cannot, and he's got quite alot of it too. The fool will probably want to keep what he's carrying, and then I'll get to kill him. Yes... kill him.

We have finally found this Dynaheir. She asked if I was here to save her, which obviously we were not. However, she was helpless and not quite the evil witch Edwin made her out to be. Before I could decide what to do next, Edwin began to shout out to me that I should kill her now. I had finally had enough of his mouth, and so I said "I trust neither of you. Perhaps I should let you settle your own differnces!" Edwin readily agreed, and attacked the witch on his own. I watched the battle in the pit intently, but I was disappointed to see Edwin gain the upper hand. Having him die by his own quarry would be poetic revenge, in my mind. Oh well. I've taken him back into my party so we can get out of this stinking hellhole as fast as possible. We'll discuss payment when we get back to Nashkell.

Day 47

These blasted guards still haven't forgotten about me! That's it, I'm going to kill every single one of them. But first, the loot, and Edwin's payment.

Edwin has *decided* that a year of his company is sufficient payment for escorting him out into the hairy armpit of nowhere. I told him I'd much rather have coin instead, and he gave me his portion of the treasure that we took. His portion! As if I could not have gotten it myself! I was ready to kill him then and there, but I suppose he realized that, as he disappeared and I cannot find him. Now I'm alone with these blasted guards.

Well, sneaking around the back of all the buildings is going to get old fast, but at least I am able to sell all my items to the shopkeeper. Some gauntlets that we found were gauntlets of dexterity! I'm going to be impossible to hurt now! (-4AC) Now, to get the pile of jewels that Edwin left.

I finished selling all our loot, and I'm rich again. Now, I'm hiding in the alley between the Inn and the general store, waiting for a guard to come by. I'll ambush one, and then go confess my sins to the priest. That should keep me cool with the populace.

It worked! I kept my skeletons out of eyesight, and cast sanctuary. then I went out on the road to watch the guards go by, in single file. I cast Hold Person on the last one, and then my skeletons and I rushed out and bludgeoned him to death. Now, all i have to do is make a bit of a donation, and then try this all again.

Day 48i

Ha! Its done! Nashkel is now devoid of those pesky amnish guards who sought my death. In the end, I have ended up with a reputation that won't get me any free drinks at bars, but won't get me killed on sight either (4). I must find out who keeps reporting my activities. They will not get away with it forever.

Now, time to investigate the Nashkel fair.

Day 49

Funnel cakes are good. Mad wizards are annoying.

I entered into a tent on the fairgrounds, and a wizard ordered me to stay back or he'll kill the witch. What witch, I thought for a moment. Then I saw some random woman standing in the corner of the tent. I told the man, "Don't tell me what to do. Step aside before you get hurt." But apparently, he wasn't bluffing. He spoke a word, and the woman died, then he attacked me. My drain ability interrupted his first spell, and then I ducked outside the tent. He followed, and ran right into my skeleton guardians that followed me throughout the fair. We all beat on him, and interrupted his second spell. His third spell, an acid arrow, hit me in the right shoulder, and hurt. Alot. But by the time it stopped burning, he was dead. I felt my competence and ability grow (lvl 6). What is it with these mad wizards? I got alot of goods off both of their corpses.

Day 52

I lost interest in the fair, and so I wandered up and down the road from the friendly arm inn to nashkel for a bit, killing bandits and taking their scalps. On my stop by the friendly arm, i found a ring of wizardry in a tree stump! I was able to sell it for nine thousand freakin gold pieces. I'm rich! The greedy bastards-that-be have made sure that my reputation is quite good after calculated donations to the temple of Helm. I've also bought a better sling, an amulet of protection, and a quiverfull of excellent sling bullets. Now to kill the demons in the mines, and revel in the even greater riches I shall possess. I actually feel a cackle coming on!

Day 53

I've been exploring the area around the nashkel mines. For what reason, I do not know. But I met a strange, emaciated man named Prism. He promised his last worldly possessions in exchange for guarding him while he finished his work. I didn't mind, and it sounded like there would be some action, so I agreed. A bounty hunter (oh, how I hate bounty hunters. They are coming at me from everywhere!) showed up, demanding Prism do... something. I didn't care, I just appreciated the opportunity to take down another pesky bounty hunter. My skeletons chittered in delight, the wondrous things! He had what looks like a nice sword. Prism ignored the fight, doing whatever it was he did to the sculpture, then politely died, leaving me with a few gold and two emeralds. Very strange, all around.

Day 58

Spent some time finding a good buyer for the emeralds, killing some bandits, selling their equipment. You know, the usual. Now, I'm finally back at the Nashkel mines, and I got permission to enter from this Emerson fellow. He says I've got a day. If he wants to come in and get me after a day, he can. It sounds like kobolds in the mines. We'll have to see.

Yep, its kobolds alright. I've summoned 5 skeletons, the maximum amount I've been able to control, and they have formed a perfect wedge to escort me into the mines. Their fearsome, glowing eyes will spot any kobolds, and their mechanical, relentless maces will beat them into little bloody smears. We shall prevail!

Day 59

We are prevailing. Rapidly. The lower levels of the dungeon are indeed extremely infested with kobolds, but they are no match for my skeletons. Perhaps I should have come here earlier... but then again, I did not have these skeletons until recently.

I encountered a natural walkway over a deep, glowing chasm, and when I walked over it I triggered some infernal traps. They hurt me greatly, but I was able to heal myself. I should become more prepared for traps.

Day 61

Traps, traps, and traps again! Using the spell Find Traps I can tell where they are, but knowing where they are only gives you an absolute certainty that you will trip them, and it will hurt. I've spent an entire day in front of this passageway, disarming traps the hard way. Bah!

Making it past the traps, I've found a very large dome-like structure in the middle of an underground lake. It was guarded by kobold commandos, and it looks decidedly ominous. I think I'm going to need to rest before going in.

Alright, after resting, I put on a sanctuary and walked in. There's an elf named Xan in there, and a cleric named Mulahey. Theres also some kobolds. There's actually an empty third room that I can use to summon my skeletons. Let me do that now.

Mulahey seemed to think that "Tazok" sent me. He also seemed to be in charge of the kobolds, commanding them to come to his aid. I have no idea who Tazok is, but Mulahey admitted to tainting all the iron ore in the mine. Papers found in a chest of his confirm a larger conspiracy. He also had some cool-looking boots and a ring that I need to get identified.

There was a moonblade in the chest as well, and I took it, although I was unable to wield it. When I went into the next room, the elf Xan thanked me for rescuing him, took the moonblade, and left. Rather rude of him, I would think.

#5 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:00 AM

**Chapter 4 (lvl 6, 62 days)

Day 62

The ring was a ring of Holiness, granting me an extra spell each level from 1st to 4th. Even though I can only cast level 3 spells at the moment, I can feel my power growing. The mayor of Nashkel also gave me 900gp in reward for solving the mystery of the mines, and apparently everyone thinks more highly of me now.

Everyone, that is, except Nimbul, who met me outside the door of the local inn. Apparently someone had hired him to take me out, but this time it was a personal contract, instead of a general announcement it had been in the past. And, the contract was from Tazok, of all people! The same people who are plotting against the iron in the sword coast region want me dead! Well, it looks like I'm going to save the region by saving my own skin.

Nimbul looked like a fighter/mage, but I wasn't able to appreciate his full skills because he succumbed to my spell Hold Person, and was subsequently beaten to death by a very mean person with a very heavy stick whose name I cannot presently recall.

There's a man named Tranzig at the Feldpost Inn who was supposed to be Mulahey's contact for something. I can't rightly recall, as I sold the parchment. But I think I'll go pay him a visit. Me and my chittering friends, that is... But first, rest.

Day 63

I had another dream, this one set in the mines. There was a bone dagger, and Mulahey's spirit. I didn't understand much of it, but apparently one of the voices in my dream wanted me to learn something. If only it told me what it wanted to teach me... and yet, perhaps it has. I can cast a Heal Minor Wounds spell now just by thinking about it, instead of actually having to cast the spell, just like my Larloch's Minor Drain. I suppose I'll never run out of sources of health now. But enough of this, off to Beregost to meet my victim.

That wasn't a long trip. I stopped by the Jovial Juggler to rest a bit, as I had summoned all my skeletons to deal with a hobgoblin ambush. An officer Vai from the accursed flaming fist mercenaries tried to speak to me, and I tried to brush her off, but she wouldn't be brushed. She told me she was offering 50 gold for every bandit scalp that I brought to her. We ended our conversation barely civil, and I sincerely hoped she would attack me in front of witnesses so I could have an excuse to kill her. It didn't work out that way, however.

Disappointed, I made my way to the Feldpost Inn where I had so recently made a month-long home. It seems a violation of my personal space to have an enemy who contracted out for my life living in the very building I had so recently called home. It made me angry, again, and I began calling out to the dead even as I ascended the staircase to the upper floor.

I looked through the rooms, and saw what could only be Tranzig standing in the same room that Algernon had once occupied. Not even speaking to him, I cast a sanctuary over myself and ordered the skeletons following me to attack him. He cast mage armor, and then an acid arrow, and then he died. I got a very interesting letter from his corpse, speaking of Tazok's men in either Larswood or Peldvale. Smiling to myself, I knew where my storm of vengenace would next take me. I'll rest, go to the smith to have this wand and ring identified, and then be on my way

Elminster, the great mage, stopped me on the road along the way to Thunderhammer's! He said that I would greatly influence the Sword Coast, and wanted to determine my motives. I didn't tell him anything, except to say that my motives were none of his concern. He seemed to think I was 'straddling the moralitiy fence'. Then, when I already knew where to hunt for my enemies, he told me that they were in the northeast. A simple name of the correct wooded area would have been acceptable, I think. Bah.

Thunderhammer had no idea what these things were, so I suppose i have to go visit the temple of lathander again. That cleric there really gets on my nerves.

Ha! The wand is a wand of magic missile with 31 chargesp! I think I'll keep this little guy.

Day 64

There was a portion of the Larswood that I had never been to before, so I headed there with my skeleton guard. We mowed through two different packs of gibberlings, and my skeletons seemed to be just fine. Then, we were ambushed by bandits. They had a good strategy, at least I think it was a strategy, for their archers were all spaced out making it difficult for me to Hold more than one at a time. I held as many as I could, however, and my skeletons made short work of the rest. The leader tried to give us the usual schtick, but we just killed him. Then, we killed the rest. A surprise attack of two dread wolves made me lose two of my skeletons, but we dealt with them too. Me and my minions of the dead can kill anyone!

There are bandits everywhere in these woods. I can hardly go 200 feet without tripping over them. I killed a 6 bandit group today, by myself, without the need of my skeleton minions. I Held some of them, and then beat the rest to death with my staff.

By now I've gone everywhere in the Larswood, and there's nothing here but bandit ambushes. Time to head north.

Day 66

Apparently the Peldvale is infested with spiders. Well, bandits and spiders. After killing a few groups of spiders, I ran into yet another bandit ambush led by a man named Raiken. He tried to get me to surrender, and of course I refused. The battle with his bandits seriously injured me, however, as my skeletons could not contain them all at once. Raiken himself had a magical warhammer that he managed to hit me with repeatedly. I was somehow able to get away and keep away until my skeletons were done with what they were doing, and could come and beat on Raiken. Once they get the smell of blood in their gaping sinuses, it seems very difficult to control what exactly they attack. No matter, they are still exceedingly good at what they do.

Day 67

I was ambushed by some Black Talon Elite mercenaries, complete with magical arrows. They immediately took down two of my skeletons, and would have taken down more if I had not been able to Hold two of their number. Thankfully I was able to replace the lost skeletons. This happened several more times during the course of the night.

Some dark elf ran up to me and demanded that I help her, or she would die. However, I refused to help her, and she called me a 'traitorous surfacer' and attcked. She had the same powers as I did, and called forth skeletons to fight for her. Mine were already called, however, and overwhelmed her defenses. She fell quickly.

After that, we kept searching the wood, and came upon a pack of these accursed gibberlings. My skeletons killed them quickly, and when it was done I realized something I had never known before (lvl 7). I realized I was able to cast 3 new level 4 spells. Here are the spells I have chosen to use; Level 1: 3 Cure Light Wounds, 3 Sanctuaries; Level 2: 2 Bull's Strengths, 2 Hold Persons, 1 Draw Upon Holy Might, 1 Silence; Level 3: 4 copies of Animate Dead; Level 4: 1 Protection from Evil 10' Radius, and 2 Static Charges. I hope it will be enough for my vengeance. It MUST be.

Also, I've run out of sling bullets. I should go get some more, soon.

I met some bears who clawed apart all but one of my skeletons before they died. Its time to rest.

Day 68

In Beregost. Re-equipped, empty of loot, have 16000 gold to my name. I've come up with a plan. I need to spend this cash, and apparently the city of Baldur's Gate is the only place I can buy good equipment. Especially a good staff. So, I'm going to take care of this little bandit problem, kill Tazok, have my revenge, and let the Flaming Fist mercenaries go back home. Then, hopefully, I will be able to get into Baldur's Gate, spend my gold, and gain more power than I ever before imagined!

Also, I keep meeting people who talk about the Firewine Bridge as a place of adventure. I'll have to check that out sometime, too. But for now, back to the woods. I think i know where the bandit camp is now. Time to test my theory.

Day 70

It was the early morning. Fully rested and focused, I cast a Sanctuary in order to scout out the camp. The fools never saw me, not once! I saw plenty of bandits, and some hobgoblins who always referred to themselves as the Chill. Everyone was strategically spaced out, so it would be difficult to use my Holds to my advantage. But I cared not. I raised up my customary 5 skeletons, and cast Protection from Evil on us all. I gave myself two doses of Bull's Strength, and we advanced.

Death came to the bandit camp that day. I hope that the bandits saw their victims in the glowing eyes of the dead that came for them. Surely that would bring them just a bit more terror before their deaths. We cleared out the hobgoblins and bandits near the small hovels while only losing 2 of the dead, and then I paused to check on the remaining skeletons. Some were injured, and so I healed their fractures. Then I raised one skeleton more to replace one of the ones that was shattered, and we continued on.

We advanced towards the east of the camp, but each time we found a bandit, there seemed to be two or three more covering his position with bows. For each one we killed, a skeleton died. I hung back, helping my skeletons as best I could with my sling, but I eventually saw my last minion fall to a hail of arrows from the east. I retreated into the morning mists, and vowed to come back as soon as I could. The undead are the best minions to use for suicide missions, after all. On the way out, I ducked into the hovels that I passed, and unleashed my Holds and Static Charges on any enemies that I found. I cornered one bandit, named Knott, and force him to tell me where to find Tazok. It's the big tent to the northeast. When questioned about the tent, he said there were no traps, and then slipped out the door and ran away. Ducking into a nearby cave to investigate it, I accidently encountered a group of gnoll veterans and slashers, who chased me out of the cave. I put a bit of distance in between them and me, cast a Sanctuary, and then simply walked away.

I came back that night, the glowing eyes of the skeletons standing out in the darkness. I used a sanctaury to scout around, and saw what looked to be another bandit leader named Taugosz Khosann covered by three bandit archers. So, I returned to where my skeletons were waiting, and then cast a Static Charge on this Taugosz. He rushed me, my skeletons rushed him, and when the battle was over I was down to 1 skeleton. He had a nice looking shield, and a warhammer, both of which I needed to get identified the next time I stopped by a smith. He also had a potion of firebreath and a potion of fortitude. I drank the potion of fortitude immediately.

Healing my veteran minion, I attempted to use a Sanctuary to direct it in sneak attacks on bandits in the area. Unfortunately, the first bandit it attacked managed to kill it, so in retaliation I used the potion of firebreath on him. He died instantly, but I was down to zero skeletons. I used my last remaining sanctuary to find a suitable target for my last Static Charge, and then faded into the night.

Day 72

I waited until nightfall, sometime after midnight. I decided to try Marthammor's Thunderbolts this attack, to see if I could take out multiple targets more quickly.

I cast a sanctuary and got into a position where I saw two of the bandits. I raised up my hands and shot a thunderbolt out of each one, streaking towards my two targets. It only injured them both, so I quickly cast a Hold Person on the nearest one, and did things the old fashioned way. Then, I found a third bandit, and we had a ranged-weapon duel. Even though he could shoot two arrows for every one of my bullets, I killed him in the end. It seemed that the entire camp was clear of bandits at this time, and there was nobody to interfere with my final vengeance against Tazok. Beginning to grin, I cast another Sanctuary and ducked into the Very Big Tent to see what was going on.

There seemed to be a very, very large throne, and 5 people arguing together in a smallish room, with nowhere for me to hide as I summoned my skeletons. It seems I will have to bait them into following me outside. I prepared for battle, and then went back.

When I went back in, the occupants of the tent first tried to question me, so I tried to bluff. They didn't believe anything that I said, however, so they attacked. I ducked back out of the tent and the fighter and the gnoll followed me out, where they were slaughtered by the dead. When I went back inside, only the mage and a hobgoblin were left hostile to me, so I began a prayer I had not yet used. I spent a few moments in preparation, and then thundered "SILENCE!" in the general direction of the mage. Stunned, he tried to cast a spell, and realized that he was, indeed, silent. So were the others in the tent, but they did not seem to want to speak much. Without any spells to cast, I attacked the now-puny mage and beat him to death myself. Why should my skeletons get all the fun? That left the hobgoblin near the throne, so I pulled out a potion bottle in my pack that I had recently found; a potion of fiery burning. I threw it past the hobgoblin and ducked. The resulting explosion almost hurt the single person who was not attacking me, but narrowly missed her. The hobgoblin looked to be almost dead, so I threw a sling bullet at him, and he fell.

The battle seemed to be altogether too easy, but I did not find Tazok anywhere! Where did the bastard go? What does he look like? I had better find some answers, and soon. The prisoner has some for me, I think. As soon as he can speak again, that is... heh.

Ender Sai was the prisoner's name. He told me that he thinks Tazok may be in the Cloakwood, wherever that is. He also think that Tazok is taking orders from the Black Throne, whatever THAT is. If the Black Throne ordered my death, I'll graciously expand my vengeance to include them as well, but if only Tazok wanted me dead, then I suppose I can get back to the simple business of accumulating power after he dies.

Aha! A chest (trapped with a lighting bolt too, damnitall) has given me names. Davaeron has told Tazok to kill me. Davaeron has passed on these orders from Sarevok. Tazok, Davaeron, Sarevok. These people must die.

#6 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:02 AM

**Chapter 5 (lvl 7, 72 days)

(It seems that once I got the ability to Animate Dead, the chapters began to fly by. Compared to my absolutely grueling first chapter experience, at least. Things are much better going with an AC of -5 and 52 hit points. There's still quite a few areas down south I have not touched, and I am already almost level 8, the level I would have started BG2 at if I had created a new character. Who can say how powerful the Usurper will be by the end of the Tales of the Sword Coast? And who can say how annoying small spaced areas with many map-transition doors will be if I have to keep relying on minions?)

Day 74

I'm back in Beregost. I had another strange dream, involving a bone dagger, a statue of myself, and a mocking voice. And when I awoke, I had a knowledge of how to remove poisons. I have so many questions, and so few explanations. What's worse, my plan to end the bandit menace and therefore gain entrance into Baldur's Gate has proved to be a bit more difficult than I originally thought, what with Tazok running deep into the Cloakwood and all. I hardly know the countryside that I've so recently become a part of. I think I'll take some time off from my divine vengeance and go trekking for a while. Besides, I have the feeling that Tazok isn't going anywhere.

Day 77

I've been wandering the hills west of Nashkel, simply learning the terrain. I've fought a number of unusual creatures, among them some tasloi and a few vampiric wolves. I met an old hermit who told me, among other things, that my coin was on its edge. That sounds ominous, although there is no way to tell if he was just off his gourd, or if he was a prophet in truth.

Then, I ran across a dead caravan and an Officer Brage, who seemed most definitely off his gourd, a few arrows short of a quiver, a few items short of a quest, if you know what I mean. I managed to take him with me to the temple of Helm, and in their gratitude for his return they gave me a thousand gold pieces. That brought me up to 27,000 gold pieces, and nothing to spend it on. I'm beginning to think that this area I live in is back-woods podunk hicksville. I need to get out of here.

Day 78

Today was a very good day.

I was exploring the countryside, generally hunting and scavenging, when I stumbled upon what could only be an archeological dig site. The apparent leader of the dig hired me on as a bodyguard, since they had a problem with petty theft and missing persons. I agreed, hoping perhaps to see some action. I summoned my skeletons, and set them about the place to guard its workers.

While I was guarding, I was approached by the dig leader's 'partner', although if I ever had a partner like this I would label him 'mortal enemy' I think. He offered me 900 gold to go along with this guarding gig until the dig team had finished with the excavations, and then to kill everyone and take the magical artifact that he was absolutely convinced they would find and bring it back to him! Intrigued by the double-cross, and wondering how it would all turn out, I agreed to his plan.

When the diggers finally breached the inner sanctum of the dig site, the old archaeologist took me with him into the cave. I was trailing somewhat behind everyone else, and heard some strange conversations from the diggers up ahead. Apparently the air was not to their liking. It was so far from their liking that they apparently decided to murder me in order to make things better. As if it would. As if they could. I beat down all the pathetic diggers rather quickly, using spells of Command to make them fall down as if asleep and then mashing them to a pulp. The old archaeologist himself was rather apologetic about the whole thing, and seemed to think I had earned my payment as a bodyguard. I accepted his payment, and then killed him too. Looking over my handiwork in the bowels of this dig site, I smiled. Then I was able to quickly locate the artifact and pick it up.

No sooner had I picked up the artifact than I heard the beginnings of a battle back outside the cave's entrance. My skeletons had begun to fight something, and judging by the sharp crack of bones that I heard, it was a strong opponent indeed. I sped back out of the cave to give my pretties protection and backup, and ran out into the daylight just in time to see the first skeleton fall. Its opponent called itself a Doomsayer. It was hard to focus on, as it seemed a blur of many... versions of itself. However, all the versions in the blur had the same fiery sword, and they all shouted the same incomprehensible gibberish. I tried to make sense of what the Doomsayer was saying, but all I ever got was something about eternity and death. I fought beside my minions, but one by one they fell to the creature's fiery sword, while failing to hit the correct version of his many blurred forms.

Even though I called more ane more of the dead to replace the ones who fell, and cast a Defensive Harmony over the entire group, all of the skeletons were eventually destroyed. It was down to the Doomsayer and myself. I tried to hit it with my staff a few times, but its fiery sword bit through my magical defenses and my armor too quickly for comfort. I took to feinting and dodging, letting the Doomsayer try to follow me around the clearing. It seemed slow, stupid, and I used every trick I could to keep its fiery sword away from me, as I pelted it with magic missiles from my wand. 9 magic misiles later, I hit the Doomsayer with a mortal blow to the face, and my wand broke.

The only surviving member of the archaeological expedition seemed to magically appear after the fight was over, and paid me in exchange for the strange idol. All in all, I felt as though I had learned quite a lot (5000 xp for 1 fight!), gained a respectable amount of gold, and generally helped further my own cause. It was a good day.

Day 79

I thought I had found a xvart metropolis before, but this new one beats the old cave area hands down. They even have little huts! It would be more cute if they didn't attack me on sight, then have the gall to complain when I kill them. They even tried to call their village guardian, a cave bear, to help them. I put it to sleep a few times and the dead took it, as they take all mine enemies.

Day 86

Still wandering around the wilderness, killing random monsters. I've realized how to use my staff much more effectively (lvl 8, staff at high mastery level now) and i can memorize a few extra prayers each day. I was attacked by some skeletons today, and attempted to turn them. Instead of running away from my awesome presence, they fell immediately under my control! What other evidence do I need for my own divinity?

Day 88

A flaming fist mercenary tried to stop me today, asking me to identify myself. I looked at my skeletons, then back at him, and plainly told him we were a marauding band of tarrasques. He didn't think that was funny, and I didn't like his lack of humor, and so I killed him.

Day 89

I was exploring the area where I had exited the Nashkel mines today, when I encountered a group of three women who immediately attacked me. I tried to cast sanctuary, but one of the women threw a knife at me, and disrupted my spell. I tried to cast Hold Person, but the woman in the back hit me with her spell first. I blacked out. When I came to, I was backed into the wall of a canyon that I didn't recognize, felt almost dead and exceptionally weak, and two of the three women were trying to cut my throat. Thankfully I was still on my feet, so I quickly sucked some health from one of the women and dodged left, fumbling for my healing potions. I drank as I ran, and the two women were in hot pursuit. Then to make things worse, I stumbled into a rather large pack of war dogs. I kept going. Then, to make things even worse, some idiot mage saw me running by and started blathering to me about some stupid experiment involving jellies. I suppose he didn't like my curt answer, so he seemed to order his jellies to attack me!

Well, after a while I had worn my pursuers down to just one of the girls who had originally attacked me, and so I stopped and began to call skeletons. My first skeleton was able to kill the girl, so I called the rest of them, who immediately attacked the jellies who came. I lost a skeleton to each of the two jellies, but then they were dead.

On the way back along my trail, I left a static charge on the stupid, stupid mage and ordered my skeletons to keep going. We encountered the dogs just as I heard the strangled death cry of the mage. Serves him right. We worked our way through the straggling pack of dogs, and Ogrillion that I had not noticed before, and the second of the three women. Then, I returned to deal with the woman who had blacked me out to begin with.

There were two of them! Two women, dressed as clerics, attacked my skeletons. One of them started talking to me, demanding my name. I just told her to shut up and cast a Hold on her, which worked! The remaining cleric cast a glyph of warding on my skeletons, who of course were immune to its necromantic damage, and both clerics fell to mass amounts of bludgeoning damage. I get the feeling that these women were looking to ambush me here and have been waiting a very, very long time.

Day 90

Back in Nashkel. Have 46000 to my name. I believe I know these southlands as well, or better, than someone who has lived here for all their long life. I think its time to move north, to the area around Beregost.

Day 95

I've found the ruins of the Ulcaster School, complete with a ghostly Ulcaster. However, my pack is pretty full of loot, so I'm going to have to stop by Beregost and then come back.

Day 97

Alright, back at the Ulcaster School. Time to enter that stairway that I saw right over... there. There's a lot of undead here that I'd rather not fight, so I just cast a sanctuary and went to the stairway.

I've run into some jellies so far. They don't seem to be able to hurt me, but its hard for me to hurt them as well. I had to call on the Fist of Gond to hurt the Mustard Jelly much.

This is an interesting series of twisting corridors and small rooms. I can't imagine what it was used for in the school. I hope it wasn't classrooms. The remaining area of the maze (for a maze is what it must be, perhaps to test students) seems to be infested with wolves of all types. Oh, and apparently fireball traps. One fireball trap went off in the middle of me and my skeletons, just as some dire wolves were closing in. It took out all but 1 of my skeletons and left me almost dead, so I made a strategic retreat around the corner. I'll rest up and try this again.

Well, that was fun. I suppose. A vampiric wolf stalked me and my dead in the deepest reaches of the catacombs, and I gained alot of potions and a strange wand. Time to head to the store again!

Day 99

I was walking along, exploring the countryside east of Beregost, when I came upon another... wait for it... bounty hunter! He actually had the gall to say he was different from all the other bounty hunters that I killed. I simply told my walking dead to attack him. Protected from Evil, enveloped in a Defensive Harmony, the skeletons charged into battle. The bounty hunter's name was Molkar, he was a fighter, and he had another fighter with him, along with a cleric and a mage. The cleric tried to cast Hold Person on my skeletons which were immune, while the mage cast Horror on my skeletons, who were immune to that spell as well.

I cast Static Charge on the cleric, and then cast Hold Person on Molkar. Thankfully, both spells worked, and Molkar and his diminuitive friend were Held and viciously beaten on by my skeletons. The cleric kept getting interrupted in his spellcasting by electrical shocks, and became a nonfactor. That left me against the mage.

I cast my second Hold Person on the mage, and at the same time Molkar was killed by my skeletons who moved on to the dwarf. The Hold stuck on the mage, who by this time was Mirror Imaged, and so I attacked with my staff. The cleric managed to get off a quick Entangle (I suppose that made him a druid then, eh?) which instantly enveloped all three of the enemy, and some of my skeletons. They were able to keep beating on their target, however, and so we worked through the rest of the rabble. When the tangling vines cleared, I was richer by 3 pieces of magical equipment, and poorer by 1 skeleton dead. And the fool dared to say he was different!

Day 101

I stopped by the High Hedge and sold quite a few items. I also bought a few exploding potions, some strength potions, and both a wand of sleep and a wand of fear, which I can use. I think I'll head on over to the Firewine bridge now, to see what's going on over there.

Day 102

I'm finally at the Firewine Bridge. So many people have mentioned this place in my wanderings I'm actually rather excited to be here. They all prophecied in turn that I would meet my doom, my destiny, and much treasure here. I think I can actually see the aura of mystery and possibility around the immediate area. Its time to dig in!

Day 105

I've explored alot of the area around the Firewine Bridge, and killed some random monsters. I just met this crazy mage named Carsa. You know, it seems all the mages that I meet are crazy. Maybe its best that I didn't become one. Anyways, this Carsa was holding a jar and kept trying not to say 'the name'. She also refused to give up the jar. In the course of our... conversation, she became so agitated that she said the name, Kahrk, and of course this Kahrk came. Turns out he was a crazy *ogre* mage, and he killed the crazy human mage. Seeing that he wasn't going to simply mind his own business, I gulped down one of the few potions that I had saved when I found them: a potion of magic blocking.

Kahrk apparently didn't see me drinking the potion or didn't know what it was, so he cast two lightning bolts and an acid arrow at me with no effect. While he was doing that, I placed a nice, big static charge upon him, and then began to summon the undead to surround him. By the time I had my customary 5 skeletons attacking him, he had run out of spells. Thankfully, he had also run out of mirror images. He attacked my skeletons with some sort of sword that he had, and managed to smash them to bits, one by one. When he had killed the last one, he turned to me, but I was ready for him. I hit him with my staff, square between the eyes, and he couldn't do anything to block it. He went down and stayed down.

I also met some guy who claimed he was the best swordsman in the sword coast, so I invited him to prove it. He was much greater than all of my skeletons, and I could not keep his sword from me by simply using my staff. So, while um... dodging around a few cacti I managed to drink a potion of fire resistance. Then while I continued to dodge (gracefully, I might add) around several rock formations, I threw exploding potions at my own feet, which would catch him in the resulting fireball. It hurt me quite alot, but in the end it killed him! He had some gauntlets of weapon specialization, so I decided to put them on and see if they helped.

Day 107

Well that was rather anti-climactic. Just an ogre mage, lots of kobold commandos, and plenty of winding, twisting passageways with traps at the dead ends. Did I miss the adventure part?

Day 109

Ha! The fools! I am a killing machine!

I was exploring east of Beregost today, when I came across a band of four adventurers. They were Lindin and Baerin, fighters, Peter a druid, and Kirian a mage. Kirian started calling out to me when she saw me, asking me if I was an adventurer. When I answered yes, she began haraunging me about my lack of style and fashion sense, and declared that I must have just slapped on my equipment yesterday. She proclaimed her and her fellow adventurers were superior in every way to me and my 'backwoods ways' as she called them. I didn't like the way she looked at me, and I didn't like the things she said about me, so I decided to reveal to her and her cronies the divinity within me.

I only had one skeleton and a ghoul following me this day, so I sent them after the fighter Lindin, who was coming our way. At the same time, I cast Hold Person at Lindin. The druid stayed in the back casting spells, all at my skeleton, who seemed to be immune to them all. The mage cast mirror image, and the other fighter Baerin started shooting arrows at my skeleton.

The Hold Person stuck on Lindin, and he was frozen. My skeleton and my ghoul attacked him, but were shortly cut down by arrows from Baerin and the two kobold commandos that the mage Kirian had successfully summoned. I cast Hold Person at the tight group of the remaining adventurers, and got both Baerin and Kirian, while the druid remained mobile.

I was out of minions by this time, and so I did what I could. I cast Fist of Gond and set about beating the living crap out of the held fighter, Lindin. Surpisingly, he was down in two quick hits. The druid Peter who was still free cast Entangle right at me, but it did not immediately entangle me so I moved to attack him, my huge enchanted fist almost dragging on the ground. Unfortunately, as I almost got within striking distance of the druid the vines entangled me and I was held. For some reason there was a cave bear near me, although I did not see where it came from. It could have simply wandered by or the druid could have summoned it at some point. At any rate, it began bashing on me while I was entangled, so I defended myself.

One round later I managed to get unentangled without killing the cave bear, even though he had hurt me severely, so I carried my fist of gond with me and attacked Peter. He was also down in two successive hits, and so I began to work on the mage's mirror images. The bear and the kobolds were just too much, however, and I had to do something about them. I was able to charm the bear with Algernon's cloak. I set him to attack the kobolds when they blinked out of existence, so the bear and I worked our way through the mirror images of the mage and killed her too.

I win! I'm the best ever! Fear my fist of gond!

There have been plenty of basilisks around here, but they do nothing to my undead. The undead are so convenient, so obedient, and have so many immunities and resistances its a wonder that not everyone is a necromancer or cleric.

Day 117

I've seen a strange tower off to the west near the coast. I've travelled there, and now I can see it just over the trees. I have been able to glean absolutely no information about this tower. I must see what I can see.

Oh. Its nothing but an abandoned lighthouse. And there was a little boy trapped inside, whose mother begged me to save him. I did. Yay me. Blast this bloody coast, and its bloody inept citizens. I'm no hero!

There are Sirines on the coast, which attack me without reason. I've learned much while fighting them (lvl 9!) I can cast a level 5 spell now, and I've finally figured out how to mimic the touch of a ghoul. It seems I am destined to have all of my enemies frozen stiff in front of me. I'm going to memorize Flame Strike.

There was also a cave near here, and I went in and explored it. I eventually found some treasure, including a book called a Manual of Bodily Health. After reading it I feel... stronger, somehow (CON 18!). My divinity must be asserting itself yet again!

Day 120

I've finally made it to the Cloakwood. There's giant spiders and tasloi, but not much else. I've prepared some delay poison and free action spells just in case.

Well, maybe something else. There was a stream, and a small bridge over it. I met an elf named Coran there, who clued me into a reward for the death of a wyvern seen in this area. I agreed to let him journey with me until we get this reward he is talking about. Unfortunately, Coran died a few minutes later of Ettercap poisoning. I'm currently pondering whether or not I should resurrect him. Anyways, time to find this wyvern!

Day 128

To tell the truth, I was getting tired of the constant, repetitive raids of xvarts, tasloi, dogs, gnolls... all of the enemies that I have faced since I first was kicked out of candlekeep. I had been secretly hoping for more difficult opponents, and I got my secret wish two days ago. I stepped further into the Cloakwood and was immediately assaulted by giant spiders, who seemed a match for my skeleton warriors. Then after i defeated them, I had barely walked two or three meters when I was assaulted by an ettercap herd. They proved to be more than a match for my skeletons, and so I had to invoke my fist of gond and pound them. While I was finishing up my fist of gond attack on the ettercaps, even more spiders showed up, and I lost my last skeleton as I beat down the last spider. Then, after I had beaten all my opponents and thought all threats were passed, I walked on a hidden trap and was instantly held by sticky webbing for over a minute.

I have the feeling that the Cloakwood is going to be tough. I've gone to stay in the Friendly Arm Inn for a few days to recuperate.

Day 129

On my way to the Friendly Arm Inn I met a strange wanderer by the name of Arkvisti ( new mod I installed). He claimed to be a wandering peddler, and so I decided to check out his wares. I was surprised to actually find that he had a quality set of splint mail! He told me that it had cold resistance and it would even make me move faster, so I bought it from him for a hefty sum. I also bought an ammo belt from him and some Potions of Major Healing. With my Bag of Holding, Gem Bag, Potion Bag, Scroll Case, and Ammo Belt I will be able to carry quite a few items from now on, without taxing my strength too much. In addition, I am now no longer equipped with Ankheg Platemail, and no longer smell like Ankheg. Thunderhammer told me there would be no smell, but there is. I can tell, now.

Day 130

I decided to stop by the High Hedge once more and speak to the mage there. He had an item that I had not noticed before, a delightfully grisly contraption called The Claw of Kazgaroth. It seems to suck some of my blood out of my own arm when I wear it on my hand, but it gives me quite a few bonuses in return. I feel much more protected with it on my hand. Yes, much more protected. Mustn't let the Claw be injured, no, no... mustn't. It feeds from me and yet it gives so much in return. I am a shimmering shape now. The claw, it protects. The Claw, it defends.

I've stopped by the Temple of Lathander and noticed a mage named Pelltar there that I've never seen before. He's offered me a job. I think of the Cloakwood, and Tazok, and this corpse of Coran that I keep lugging around with me. Then I think of the spiders, tons and tons of annoying spiders. I think I'll take the job. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up something along the way to help me against spider-kin.

This town is named Restenford, and it seems similar in size and style to Beregost. There's talk of banditry here, of course. That is what Pelltar hired me to look into. He didn't hire me to look into all the houses, but that's what I'm doing now. The weak always leave their valuables out in plain sight. They are fitting offerings for the Usurper.

Hrm.. there seems to be a guard named Welcar patrolling the road near the warehouses. I wonder if I will have to kill him.

Hrm... there's guards in the warehouses too. What is so valuable in this town that needs so much guarding? I will have to find out.

Ach! Who rigs their barrels with exploding arrow traps? That not only hurt me, it killed the guard next to me. These people must have an intense dislike for thieves. At least I got some magical leather armor for my trouble. I wonder what it does...

I must say my equipment is looking better and better. Here's an inventory of my equipment. On my head, a Helm of Infravision that I got from an unfortunate bounty hunter. I'm wearing Gauntlets of Dexterity on my hands, in addition to one Ring of Holiness. On my other hand, of course, is the Claw of Kazgaroth. I am wearing Frozen plain armours, a splint mail, from the wandering merchant, and draped over that is Algernon's Cloak. On my feet are Boots of Grounding, and I am wielding a very good Quarterstaff (+1) and a very good Sling (also +1), though they don't tell any stories about them in the taverns. I have a Bag of Holding, Potion Bag, Gem Bag, Scroll Case, and Ammo Belt, making my pack nice and tidy. I am currently not wearing anything on my neck.

I've gone into the Tavern of the West Wind in order to get information. Apparently there are talks of some undead and also talks of dopplegangers? What are dopplegangers, I wonder.

I drunk... big drnk. I slep. Even gods sleep. big gods lik me. i big!!!

Day 131

I'm taking a stroll around the town at midnight. I called upon my divine strength in order to rip open the wooden chest of a commoner here, and he had the gall to call the Guard. I simply declared myself under sanctuary and they did nothing to me. Do they really think to apprehend the Usurper? They must be mad!

I found the guard barracks. It was full of sleeping guards, and the foot lockers of said sleeping guards. One guard was awake, so I Commanded him to sleep. He fell to the floor, and I set about trying to open the lockers around me. The stubborn guard refused to stay down, and I kept having to Command him again, and again. Finally, fed up with his stubbornness, I let him chase me outside to a secluded location without anyone around, and I called down my divine wrath upon him in a colum of flame. He is nothing but a charred pile of ash now. He should have stayed down.

I've found the magic shop as well, and quite an impressive array of magical scrolls are here, including some priest scrolls. They had a Cloak of Displacement on sale and Boots of Avoidance, and so I bought them both. I think that with the blur given to me by the Claw, and the blur given to me by the Cloak, and the prescience given to me by the Boots of Avoidance, no archer will ever be able to hit me again! (+13AC cumulative bonus vs missile weapons) I also picked up a couple of Free Action scrolls and a couple of Cure Poison scrolls, for help in the future against spiders. I also picked up a set of Identification Glasses. Lastly, I stocked up my potion bag with haste potions in case I need to do some quick staff work. This took the last of my money, so I need to earn more. This Pelltar needs to pay me well, or there will be a reckoning. Oh, yes.

I'm moving on to Castle Restenford. I need to figure out what's going on around here so I can get my payment.

I'm rooting around in the castle grounds. Wary of the traps here, I have drunk a potion of magic blocking to keep me safe as I spring them. (in a previous save I forced opene a chest and got IMPRISONED. Yowch!) I've found some type of large shield and an excellently balanced longsword (+2!). It almost makes me wish I could use long swords...

There are so many guards in this town. In all seriousness it is starting to bother me. What manner of power must they defend against so strongly? I see no sign of war or carnage, and yet there is a guard always within sight.

I've spoken with the Baron, the Baroness and the Captain of the Guard, and none of them were any help at all. Do they expect me to just fix all their problems without even knowing what their problems are? I just know "bandit raids" and "cows disappearing". Do I look like I care about cows and bandits? Agh. The things I do for money. I'm going exploring. There's a road that leads north, its as good a start as any.

Well, imagine that. I called my skeletons and enchanted them in my usual manner, and we began patrolling. We immediately found a bandit backed up by an Orc, and mowed through them without trouble. There were some other wildlife such as bears and wolves in the vicinity, but nothing else. Apparently there are paths to the east and west. I will choose east. But first, I will sleep.

Day 132

Apparently there are orcs to the east. And, Krellus. He gave us a few lines of choice dialog that he no doubt spent months thinking up for just such an occasion, as he looks pretty stupid. The orcs that follow him are much more stupid, however. They tried to attack me with ranged weapons! My skeletons mobbed Krellus, and he was down quickly. Then my skeletons split up to attack the bow-wielding orcs on their own, and they were soon down. during this time I felt an excruciating pain in my back, as I was backstabbed by a thief, Gorharg, who I did not see to begin with. I tried to cast Hold Person on him but he drank a potion of Invisibility and my spell was lost. My skeletons and I simply waited around for him to appear again, and when he failed to backstab me during his second attempt we mobbed him and crushed his body beneath our weapons. These bandits were very well equipped. Krellus had a girdle of Hill Giant Strength on him (STR 19) ! Now I can carry more weight than a normal Warrior, and it will be much more easy to rip open locked things.

I wandered north a for a little while, and found a cave in the side of the cliff. I went in alone to explore and was ambushed by two orc archers. I used my sling and they tried to hit my mulitplied forms. I made short work of them with my sling, and they failed to injure me once. After I was done, I noticed some wagons sitting in the cave, and realized that the missing caravans had ended up here, with the orcs.

I kept scouting out the area and found a small cabin guarded by one orc to the northeast. In one of the chests there were some gems and some good equipment, again, that I couldn't use. I returned to my minions, patiently waiting outside for me, and began the Hunt again.

I've grown quite attached to these cold, calculating undead servants. I wish they could be with me at all times, in all seasons. The Undead are a symbol of my power, a symbol of my authority. The undead should always be with me, just as my power is always with me.

I found a signpost denoting this area as Bald Hill. Looking around, I realied this hill has few trees on it, and the name fits quite well. There's nothing else here, however. I seem to have killed everything moving in the immediate area. Time to go south to Restenford and tell what I have seen.

Going south has brought me to a part of Restenford that I have not yet seen. so THIS is where all the cows have disappeared from! Hrm... perhaps there is something for me here. I must explore.

I came upon some half-elf who called himself Sir Billybob. He was standing next to some orc corpses, and we made small-talk about killing orcs. He asked me to find out what happened to the caravans that were coming from the north, and I told him what I had seen. Then he seemed to imply that Elminster and he worked together closely and that they were all very "interested" in me. Sounds pretty shady to me. They are all meddlers. My divine essence needs to meddling to aid it, and will definitely tolerate no meddling to hinder it. And I don't care how old anyone claims to be!

I was able to slip into Sir BillyBob's house, and read a scroll of magic protection in caution before I began to root through his assorted furniture. The chest near his bed contained a good-looking shield, and some trap went off. Thankfully it was absorbed by the magical shield that surrounded me.

Just Southwest of Sir Billybob's rather large farm I met an elf named Amos, who said if I wanted to speak to his father just to go up "those stairs". All I saw was a gaping black hole in the side of a cliff, and I didn't even know who his father was, but when you're looking for a profit you have to take advantage of all opportunities. So I went in.

Turns out it was a good idea. The stairs led to a nice hilltop cabin-and-shrine setup that I could definitely appreciate. The grand view lords over the rest of this small town. Almax is Amos' father, and he was the first person to actually be helpful in this place. He explained to me the lay of the land around Restenford, and actually pointed me in the direction of Bone Hill, and what sounds like an old haunted fort in that area. He also asked me to check on some of his druid friends near there in Reddy Forest, which seems fine to me. Druids generally have items that I can use. I sold off my loot to him and in return got a tidy 16,000 gold. Time to go back to town!

I found an Amulet of Protection at the Smithy, and bought it. It will give me something to wear on my neck, at least. I also went to the magic shop and stocked up on scrolls of protection from the Undead, Magic, and some Champion's Strength scrolls. Hrm... I saw a very large bridge to the northwest, I wonder where that leads.

Restenford is bigger than I thought, although not much bigger. There is another section to this town across the river that I didn't even notice before. Its got a large wall that protects the down, although I noticed that someone dug a tunnel under one of the wall sections. Shortly after I noticed that I ran into a gnoll. Still under the Protection from Magic scroll that I used earlier, I could do nothing except attack with my staff. Of course, that was more than enough to kill him in 3 hits.

I met a priest named Yalta here, the "spiritual advisor" to the Baroness. He explained to me about the recent Gnoll raids, and I agreed to look into them. After all, that's what I was hired to do. Apparently they are coming from the northwest.

But before I do that I want to explore up on the top of this hill. Perhaps there is even more to this little town!

Ahh, I've found a temple! Temples are always great places for me to hang out. Usually the priests think I am one of them and it is easy to slip in and out and grab all the items I can. This temple had a few expensive-looking scrolls and even a nice warhammer, all fitting sacrifices to the Lord Usurper. As I always do, I cast Sanctuary upon myself and took everything I desired to.

Before I begin the Conquest of the Gnoll Lands I should prepare my spells and rest up. Oh, and look into the rat problem near the abandoned guard house. How hard can rats be?

Ooh, I found a basement in the Tavern of the West Wind, and it held some good loot. Let me see if I can sell this stuff to its owner!

Day 133

Time to destroy these rats in the name of profit. Some day I'll probably be able to find a way to just coerce people into giving me what I want, but for now I must still fufill their quests first.

I've made it down to the abandoned guardhouse, and had the worst time trying to kill a rat. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to hit the little guy with my staff. Finally I gave up trying, and summoned the nearby dead to do it for me. Three skeletons answered my single call, and I let them take care of everything while I explored. Sadly enough they won't be able to follow me down this trapdoor that I found. Oh well.

Aha! I should not have worried. I was greeted by the chitterings of two animated skeletons as soon as I made it into the underground cave. I quickly used my power to turn them, and was about to bless them and protect them from evil when a ghoul jumped out of the shadows at them. I sat back and watched the ensuing fight, but my merriment proved to put me in danger. I didn't bother to help my skeletons, simply preferring to make sure I maintained control over them. Even though the skeletons were immune to the ghoul's fear ability and its freezing touch, they both eventually fell to its claws. Then, before I could react, the ghoul launched its fear attack at me and I blacked out (feared). I'm not quite sure what happened next (ran around like an idiot) but when I regained my senses I quickly took the ghoul under my control as well.

There were two chests in this room, both trapped. My healing potions helped me survive. There also seems to be a maze in the rocks to the south. In exploring it I've found a few poisoned daggers and some more undead who are now under my thrall.

In turning a corner I found what looks to be a kitchen, and at the same time I was mobbed by rats. My ghouls quite literally ripped them apart. I turned another corner and went down a tunnel and now I've found quite alot of magical weapons and armor. Also, some expensive-looking scrolls as well.

I reached the end of the caves, and so I had my ghouls turn on each other. All went well until it was time to dispose of the last ghoul. I invoked my Fist of Gond and began to pound him, but before I could finish him off he blinded me. I'm now stuck in a cave full of nothing and I'm blind. I hope I can remember the way back...

Well, that was uneventful. After a good night's rest my sight has returned. Time to go back to town and see if there's a reward for rat-killing.

Well, I told Zahrdahl the bait dealer that I killed all the rats I could find and he seemed relieved. He told me to tell him if I did anything else, and that it would be good gossip. But when I mentioned this to the innkeeper, he seemed surprised and said that Zahrdahl couldn't walk very far with his bum leg and hardly ever talked to anyone on account of his stinkiness. Seems strange to me but I don't know what to do about it. Perhaps I could feed him lies and see what he does with them...

Day 134

I've rested up and stopped by Lazarius's store again, picking up some Cure Critical Wounds scrolls and a few others. Time to go after these Gnolls!

Its early morning on the way to Tri-top and all I've found are a few worgs and wolves, who have all fallen to the pounding from my Fist of Gond.

I spoke too soon. I stumbled across a cave with the bodies of what looks like adventurers strewn around its mouth. There was quite a large family of wolves in the cave and they didn't seem to much care about the Glyph of Warding that I threw at them, so I've gone outside and cast Sanctuary on myself in order to gain the time to summon the dead.

Bah, there was no treasure in the wolf cave after all the wolves were dead. I'd hardly expect to be able to use anything that wolves enjoyed keeping around, but one could hope!

It is a dark and stormy night. And while the thunder rolled, and the rains washed away my tracks, I and my dead stumbled into a gnoll encampment. I imagined myself the embodiment of the Gnoll's worst fears as my dead beat them down two by two, and I healed the skeletons when they were weak. Was I the fulfillment of some Gnoll prophecy? Did they speak of their coming doom by my hand around the campfires at night, weeks before I arrived? Did they scare their children into behaving by threatening that I would get them? One can only hope, but I will never know, for now the are nothing but corpses rotting in the rain. The Usurper has come, and all is undone. As dawn approached I entered a cave, and met the final chieftain backed up by an ogre. I simply lured them out to meet my waiting dead and they were killed. The Ogre had an amulet and a club that I need to get identified.

When I went back into the cave, a Gnoll Veteran ambushed me from the shadows, but I laid a static charge upon him and he was dead before he could leave the cave. I went back and emptied the chest of loot, and I'll take it back to the store to get identified. My Glasses of Identification are spent.

Well that was a tidy 8000 gold, although I wasn't able to wear the Shield Amulet due to other magical equipment. I think that next I should head towards Bone Hill, there seems to be undead near there that people are whispering about. I'll also have to check on those druids in the Reddy forest...

I've easily found that the Reddy Forest is north of the former Gnoll camp, and found Martin the ranger. After asking him why he plays with rocks, I finally told him about Almax's message. He seemed rather eager to speak to me and send a message to Almax, so here I go again. There had better be something good in this or there will be a reckoning. Another reckoning.

I explored the rest of Reddy forest, and came upon a stranger by the name of Volcifar. He looked like a thief, but he was carrying a sling. I stopped to talk to him and he seemed to have a rather distasteful attitude towards Adventurers and adventuring in general. I eyed his sling, wondering what it was, and then I decided to find out. I cast Static Charge upon him and in two discharges he was dead without harming me at all. I was in luck! The sling is the Sling of Seeking (+2) and I realize that I can use it in a very strong, powerful way. Now that I have the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength I will most likely be able to do alot of damage in a very short time with this sling. I have *got* to try it out!

I found a gibberling and threw a good bullet (+1) at him. He died instantly (14 damage!) and I didn't even do anything special. I am going to really like this sling, I think.

I met a girl named Locinda who had just finished killing some wolves with what looked like a crossbow. She complained about her life and then asked for a healing potion as if I was some sugar-daddy. I told her it would be 50 gold, and she said she didn't have that kind of money, so of course I told her to get lost. She told me to burn in Hell. I would have chased after her but she eluded me.

Went back to town to deliver Martin's message and sold Volcifar's equipment. NOW perhaps I can journey to Bone Hill undisturbed. But first let me stop by Martin and tell him another message.

Finally things are paying off! Martin gave me a Cloak of Elvenkind in gratitude! I don't want to use it but I think it will bring a good price in the shop, eh?

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

Marvelous! Simply marvelous!

#8 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:51 AM

hey, maybe i should try this again... but I deleted the rather large install off my HD months ago.

Where should I go to get the latest and greatest versions of everything and set this all up again?

Edited by Usurper, 16 June 2005 - 06:52 AM.

#9 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

if you got yodas patience or are a SPS account holder you can try the wizards mirror, link can be found in the sticky here.