weapon idea

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -idea-

-idea-

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

for all the people that think dual wielding katanas out there,, i just want to enlighten you about the fact that its much cooler to fight with the katana in one hand and its sheathe in one hand...
so.. my idea is to make sword and sheath set for dual weilders(maybe imbibed with the soul of a warrior and his lover or somthing to that affect)

if u wanna be uber that is... i prefer the classical 2 hand grip.. but anyway...

this is another lazy bastard saying "this is a good idea" and being to lazy to make it himself..
the ironic thing is that i, through suggesting this have jinxed anyone from thinking its a novel concept...

so i just ruined a good idea... well i guess there are worse ways to spend time.. :(

#2 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:02 PM

i like it. perhaps i, or anyone else who wants to make this, could make the katana sheath crushing damage...??
Black Wyrm Forums host of the World Transition Project, Beastial Animations, and much more!

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

Like dealing with terrorists by giving them explosives. -NotMrT

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

#3 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

for all the people that think dual wielding katanas out there,, i just want to enlighten you about the fact that its much cooler to fight with the katana in one hand and its sheathe in one hand...
so.. my idea is to make sword and sheath set for dual weilders(maybe imbibed with the soul of a warrior and his lover or somthing to that affect)

if u wanna be uber that is... i prefer the classical 2 hand grip.. but anyway...

this is another lazy bastard saying "this is a good idea" and being to lazy to make it himself..
the ironic thing is that i, through suggesting this have jinxed anyone from thinking its a novel concept...

so i just ruined a good idea... well i guess there are worse ways to spend time.. :(

I'm about to rant, don't take it personally..

What in the heck is all this with people ging on about kitanas.. apparently nobody knows a thing about the weapon. If you're weilding a kitana as a weapon you could in theory use the sheath as a secondary weapon, however it's not intended to take a hit.

There's a good chance of damaging the sheath while using it in combat. not all all affective. The katana was often used wile fighting with a weapon in the off-hand. This predates the actual florentine fighting style which wasn't perfected until the introduction of the rapier and main gaughe(sp).

As for the Katana, traditionally it was NOT the only weapon. it would be accompanied by the other two asian blades of which the Katana was part of the set.

Katana (32 inch balde, Wakkashashi (22 inch blade), and Tanto (12 inch blade). the measurement's I'm not possitive of. depending on circumstances any of the tree would be used in unison. most often Wakashashi and Tanto.

If you want to make a weapon set with a Katana, why not do it with a tanto and wakashahi?
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#4 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:11 PM

i should have expected the weapon major to have something to say about this. Personally, i haven't really studied weapons enough. I used to know a little more, and this is good information. Thanks Chevar for blessing us with your neverending knowledge
Black Wyrm Forums host of the World Transition Project, Beastial Animations, and much more!

#5 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

You have better control using the Katana with 2 hands anyways. The longest weapons I use paired are quite a bit shorter than a katana.

Still, it is a decent idea. The only real problem is that a sheath is hollow and not normally designed to take a hit. Still, if we're talking about magical items all realism goes out the window anyways, so why not? ;)

#6 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:04 PM

You have better control using the Katana with 2 hands anyways.  The longest weapons I use paired are quite a bit shorter than a katana.

Still, it is a decent idea.  The only real problem is that a sheath is hollow and not normally designed to take a hit.  Still, if we're talking about magical items all realism goes out the window anyways, so why not? ;)

The Katana's technically a hand and a half weapon like broadswords and bastardswords.. they can be used one handed or two handed.

The real problem with weilding Katana and another weapon is the length. You've hit the nail right on the head on this one Stonewolf.

Fighting with two weapons is a bit like boxing, brawling, or martial arts. You block with one hand (sword) while swinging with the other.. Smaller weapon lengths are much easier to deal with when managing a pair of weapons.

When you're using two swords, sword and dagger, wakasashi and tanto, rapier or main gauch(sp), one weapon is essentially being used as a shield at all times. You can alternate which weapon is offencive and which is defensive. However one is for attacks, the other is to block. game rules can be argued here, but roleplaying games aren't big on introducing reality - when was the last time you did a shieldbash in a RPG game?

A shieldbash is essentially a maneuver in which the shield is used as a weapon to both push away an opponent, and throw them off balance (can do a bit of damage too.)

I have fought with sword and sheath, as well as fighting florentine. A shieldbash is much more effective than slapping someone with a sheath.. in ad&d terms a sheath would do no more than 1d3 damage, and that's if it were modified to hurt more. fighting in such a manner, it would be better to treat the magic sheath as a shield. if you attach with the sheath you'd be passing up the higher damaging attack of the katana.

It may look cool in the movies, but fighting with the sheath is ALMOST a complete waste of energy.. the only point to doing it at all is to piss off your opponent and make them look like a complete idiot. (bloch with the sword, dopeslap with the sheath.. it's a good way to make your opponent look like a fool, and mock them. It can anger them enough that they may make a critical misteak, but otherwise there's not point.

(Okay, so maybe I'm as much a purist as a realist)

Edited by Chevar, 26 September 2004 - 06:06 PM.

"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#7 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:10 PM

it would be possible, i think, to give a sword the animation of a shield, and give an AC bonus, and damage the opponent with it. I think that would be really cool. yeah...

#8 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:40 PM

Heh, if you can block with your sword and strike with your sheath, it doesn't sound like you need them to be making a critical error. It sounds more like humiliating your opponent--not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

#9 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:13 PM

how about a kit dedicated to humiliating the opponent to catch them off guard, even doin moves that make no sense for a chance of confusion.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:28 PM

isn't that the Pit Fighter? or something like that? I would do this, but i seem to be trying to do every project.

#11 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

forgot to log in again

#12 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:35 PM

Heh, if you can block with your sword and strike with your sheath, it doesn't sound like you need them to be making a critical error. It sounds more like humiliating your opponent--not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Unfortunately in games, enraged opponents tend to fight better..

Sheath-slap effects;

opponent gets -1 to hit modifier (cumulative max -5)
opponent get +1 damage modifier (cumulative max +5)
normal hit damage inflicted 1.
critical hit damage 1. 10% chance of stunning opponent for 1 round.

---------------

Hey Awake.. don't take this as ANOTHER project or I will slap you with a sheath. I have 5.

Project Forum

#13 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:41 PM

YES SIR!! I HAVE ENOUGH SIR!! :P

I was actually looking at it and thinking about it though... must....resist....can't.....do...more....work...noooooooo