Flaws?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:26 PM

Some help ahem ahem would be appreciated...

Easy but unearned rethoric, Dorotea.

As we all agree, those flaws are not removable if you intend to keep that animation.
So, other than suggesting the solution I'd take myself, how am I supposed to help? -_-

About sounds, I was just suggesting a non-chaotic use of the existing ones, but it's a secondary matter.

Edited by Littiz, 01 October 2004 - 04:37 AM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#42 -dorotea-

-dorotea-

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:34 AM

It was not rethoric -- I actually hoped you will jump right in and help draw all these missing animations with Irenicus holdinga staff! :vbat:

But seriously -- what do you mean by not-matching voice lines and text?

For example Imoen can say "I will give you a fight!" before starting her banter with Irenicus and he will answer something like "Hello little one." Even though their actual banter contains different lines -- I used this trick deliberately to add a 'feeling' of genuine intonation for both characters, as I obviously dont have voice actors for these npcs. I think it is better than having completely mute banters.

If you don't like this method -- sorry, I suppose I can issue a special edition with no sounds at all. No kidding. I can edit the dialogs and have a special installation package like this.

#43 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:01 AM

Actually in the vanilla BGII, characters often spoke a canned line that had nothing to do with their actual dialogue. Take for example Minsc's "Sword" shout in his first dialogue after leaving Chateau Irenicus. It doesn't match his text dialogue at all, but is used to let the player know his intonation and emotion behind the words. Some players may think it doesn't fit, but it is there in the original game, so LR isn't doing anything new here.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#44 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:20 AM

As far as I see the only real problem would be the staves animation, as sling or dagger is not that visible... Hmm. Maybe there is a way to make Jon a special kit that forbids him use of staves? Goes way to balance him btw...

the paper doll you posted a page back looks very good. the mask needs a bit more work to fit in. not seeing items equiped and not having the proper animation is way better as using stupid standard elf animation. wow, he is named ji but looks like the stupid commoner next door. no way.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#45 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

Alright! I shall work on the Mask bam and the Robes of Irenicus bam then.

Here is the Final-final Irenicus paperdoll bam after some more tweaking today.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I tried to work with the mask item... but the item is too small to produce anything decent... All I could do was sharper, smiling face -- but it is smaller, and I am not sure this new mask is any better. Jon on other hand had his arm shadow fixed.

Edited by dorotea, 01 October 2004 - 07:40 PM.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#46 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:32 AM

Sorry, if it's the wrong thread, but I couldn't find the separate bug thread. I've encountered the bug in LR version 1.4 (probably it's in 1.4.1 as well):
After I talked to Rielev the first time("tell me when you're ready to summon Jon etc"), I've told him I don't want to proceed with this. He left.
I went to Gronmir's tower solo and then the cutscene was frosen after Mel was taken away. Probably it was time for Jon's reply, but I didn't have him with me ! I had to reload and uninstall the mod, which is a pity, I'm quite used to it where it is.

P.S. Thank you for the great mod.

#47 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:42 AM

Thanks for reporting this -- blast it, she was supposed to check for InParty("irenicus") and I tested the scene without Jonny I swear... Need to check again I guess. See, Ascension introduces some glitches as well if you have improved Gro. I better re-work this sequence, sigh... Tried to save on Globals here as they heavy the game down quite a lot...

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#48 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:44 AM

Btw -- do you have a save just before entering ? It will be great if you can email me the save at ladydorotea@hotmail.com.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#49 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:04 PM

I shall work on the Mask bam and the Robes of Irenicus bam then

Don't forget the other item-bams! They should be made fitting into the game by recoloring them (E.g. removing the colors from the decription bams).
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#50 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:43 PM

S-K is working on these! Check the Workrom -- it is a blast to see these new pictures.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#51 Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:34 AM

I must say I rather like the paperdoll you created. :thumb:

But, would it be acceptable to you, to add an option (somewhere, tugged away) to use a generic paperdoll for those who'd prefer that? :mellow:

#52 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:16 PM

Actually its mentioned earlier in this thread, that Dorotea would have liked to use a generic doll, but for some strange technical reason it wasn't possible to implement this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#53 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:24 PM

Yes, sorry for being late to answer on this one. Basically the character animation is hard-wired with the paperdoll. The only way to give a character a regular paperdoll would be to change his animation to generic elven wizard.

I suppose it can be done as an 'on request' feature. Same as I have original portrait restore, so it can be 'give Irenicus elven animation and paperdoll' component. Yes this is doable. Infact if there is enough votes for this feature I will include it with next release.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#54 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:35 PM

Not that I know any thing about how to do this but couldn't you gust make 8 different heads of john and paste them on a human/half orc fighter/or something and paste the heads on the hundred or so animated images

tedious yes but could it work?
Live Free Or Die

#55 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:34 AM

Well, you can edit the paperdoll animations and achieve this, but than we would have to use the in-game animation of a human or a half orc as well (I mean the appearance of the character in-game, not the picture on the inventory screen.)

The game is coded so that the animation is linked with paperdoll -- ie if you pick 'Jon Irenicus' animation for the cre, its paperdoll file has to be 'nireinv.bam'.

I am not sure if re-naming the generic paperdoll bam will work. I tried with some or another and it did not. Too bad TeamBG is gone -- I got all my info about this feature from their graphics editing forum!

By any means feel free to experiment though. If you can manage to give Irenicuses animation a different paperdoll it would be something to boast about!

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#56 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:53 AM

Yes this is doable. Infact if there is enough votes for this feature I will include it with next release.

I personally would ask it only if it was followed by a few (I figure) implied story changes and dialogs..

Otherwise I'd rather hope to see one day additional weapon animation for the current avatar... :)
One is free to hope, isn't he? :rolleyes:

Ever forward, my darling wind...