Forcecasting Vs No-force casting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Carnage-

-Carnage-

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:34 AM

Hey all,

I've been looking into making a go at Ai scripting and have taken a look at various scripts, from the eSeries, the K&Z stuff and something from Horace but also looked at the AI from say, Tactics, the Battles mod and the stuff for the Eclipse.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which manner is best for coding enemy AI as I'm not really interested in party/protagonist AI.

~C~

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:09 PM

that's a policy decision, really. frankly, i can't stand scripts that use force-casting, which is one of the reasons why i like Big Picture: as a general rule, Horred only uses cheese like that to replicate pre-buffing and contingencies.

other people, on the other hand, like force-casting because it can provide a much harder tactical challenge. me, i uninstall anything that relies on force-casting for its tactical sophistication.

Edited by seanas, 01 October 2004 - 12:09 PM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:43 PM

Agreed. The creatures you fight should have the same rules as the PC, unless the creature description says that they're an exception in a certain way.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:09 AM

Whatever. I can kill them anyway.;)

#5 Potencius

Potencius
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:38 AM

The problem with force casting in games like ToB is that it IS partially required for a tactical challenge when players are so insanely powerful. With lower levels or more thoughtful battles, it would be easy not to use force-casting... strategy could take its place. Well, that's assuming the designer isn't lazy.

But anyway... the best enemy AI would just take the obvious smart scripts but also add some specificity to the area its in and the creature's own "style." Battles in the IE could easily be stylistic and allow creative ends if the developers just took that into consideration.
The Glory of Istar - A Dragonlance Total Conversion

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. - Umberto Eco

The truth of #meeting:
KenTeamBG: a/s/l
Deano: 14/f/in ur heart
* KenTeamBG it's getting hot so i remove my jacket
Daxziz: Oooh
* Echon, MaxTeamBG and Hlidskialf all get naked.
* SimDing0 has joined #meeting
SimDing0: Eew.
* SimDing0 has left #meeting
* KenTeamBG sets mode: +b SimDing0

#6 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:14 AM

As Max said, lowering the general party level and adding a bit more wits to the enemy AI will make the game more challenging and entertaining, yet not making it a cakewalk for some and a pile of frustration for others.

Simply reducing the amount of XP you get for killing monsters and completing large quests suffice to make ToB a game for a party for levels 10-20 rather than 20-40, IMHO.

Plus, it will make you *gasp* think what to memorize rather than memorizing heaps of spells and using only half (for perhaps the cheese value).

-Galactygon
Posted Image