Photo

BGT - BP - CtB possible workaround?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

I had an idea, anyone have any idea whether it's likely to work or not? I might just go ahead and try it, since I'll be reinstalling shortly anyhow....

My last character was a F/M/T I generated in CtB, played through the intro, exported and stripped down to 1/1/1, and then played through BP-BGT-SoBH (stopping on arrival in CI, in anticipation of NeJ2). I'd planned to manually add the variables generated in the tutorial, so the game would know that was already done.

My thought is this--when I played BP-BGT through before, I noticed major changes in the map once leaving Chateau Irenicus (i.e. all the BG1 areas had been stripped out). The main issue with CtB compatibility is the map. What if, after arriving in CI you installed CtB, and replaced your savegame's worldmap with the BP-CtB version? Is it possible this would work, or is it just a disaster waiting to happen?

#2 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:52 PM

It would partially work. You'd also have to remove the conflicting areas from your savegame. (To be honest, removing all but the AR0602 ones from your savegame would greatly speed things up during play and make for a better install.)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#3 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 05:55 PM

Er...

If I understand you correctly, I should open up Baldur.sav in NI, and delete everything but AR0602? OK, I'll give it a shot....

Edited by bpfan, 02 October 2004 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:11 PM

Make a backup copy of your save, of course. ;)

#5 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:26 PM

Well, THAT didn't work too well.

When I went to install CtB, it found SoS installed, but not BP. I presume the install program is looking for something that is modified by the presence of BGT.

So, ixnay on that idea. Looks like it's either necessary to do a reinstall minus BGT (and THAT's not going to happen in the short term, given recent developments), or I'm not going to see CtB content until compatibility issues are resolved.

#6 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:36 PM

Well, THAT didn't work too well.

When I went to install CtB, it found SoS installed, but not BP. I presume the install program is looking for something that is modified by the presence of BGT.

No, it doesn't look for a BGT file. The process I described to you should work with BP-BGT already installed. (I'll have a chance later to check my laptop and see what file triggers the BP version of CtB.)

#7 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:13 PM

Ah, here it is. Extract the BPITEM10.2da to your override directory. That's what the CtB install looks for. When BP-BGT is installed, everything gets biffed, and the file isn't found. If you can't/don't want to extract that file to your override, then create a new .txt doc, rename it to BPITEM10.2da, then install CtB. Once that's done, delete the file or it will overwrite the original in the .bif.

#8 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a BPITEM10.2da file in my override directory. I did the whole autoinstall thing, so I'm not sure where it comes from, probably patch 3.13 (mods installed on top of autoinstall BP-BGT-NeJ are The Grey Clan, Bone Hill, approved Ease-of-Use components, some G3 tweaks, the Rogue Rebalancing mod, and Rastor's item pack).

Oh, and regardless of the failure to recognize BP, CtB won't install. It gets about 11 files in, then can't append to TOOLTIP.2da because there are 83 lines and apparently CtB thinks there should be only 77.

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:17 AM

Check the TP2 about the Tooltip.2da file. Usually the process is to append text to the file unless that text is already there. I discovered a weird bug on the DSotSC build. I was adding the new NPCs to the interdia.2da but it wouldn't work because Jetlaya was already there! Seems her name is already in this file for a BGT-BP game (as are the NeJ people, even though I didn't have it installed).

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#10 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a BPITEM10.2da file in my override directory. I did the whole autoinstall thing, so I'm not sure where it comes from, probably patch 3.13 (mods installed on top of autoinstall BP-BGT-NeJ are The Grey Clan, Bone Hill, approved Ease-of-Use components, some G3 tweaks, the Rogue Rebalancing mod, and Rastor's item pack).

Oh, and regardless of the failure to recognize BP, CtB won't install. It gets about 11 files in, then can't append to TOOLTIP.2da because there are 83 lines and apparently CtB thinks there should be only 77.

Hey all, I'm baaaack! NWN was fun for awhile, but it got old. Anyway, I somehow managed to completely fubar my dialog.tlk file. (I know, here we go again, Mark screwing up a file, Damn, what a suprise! :lol: ) So I rebuilt, haven't done it in a while, so things didn't go very well. I'm getting the same error on CTB that bpfan is reporting. From the Debug file . . .

"Appending game text column-wise ...
[./override/TOOLTIP.2DA] loaded, 9895 bytes
Cannot append column-wise because there are 83 lines in TOOLTIP.2DA but I was only given 77 things to append"

Happy Trails . . .

Mark
"What rough beast, Its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

W.B. Yeats

May the sun be always in the eyes of your enemies,
and may your feet always find the correct path.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#11 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:46 PM

Hey mark been a while good to see that you came back from the dark side
sent you a pm
Live Free Or Die

#12 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:54 PM

Hey mark been a while good to see that you came back from the dark side
sent you a pm

Thanks. It's good to be back. Now all's I need to do is figure out what the hell I did to my rebuild. Picked up some pointers on another post. Looks like I'm going to do some careful tinkering and rebuild again over the next night or so. Bardez has released a new patch for BGT. Should I install it and if so, when in the sequence?

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#13 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

His 114 patch is not compatible with BGT-BP! I don't know if Hlid or anyone else has even looked at it yet. So if you are doing a BGT-BP build (with SoBH, BG1NPC, and DSotSC of course), just use the 3.13 patch and the new S&H patch before adding any mods.

Classic Adventures

#14 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:32 PM

His 114 patch is not compatible with BGT-BP! I don't know if Hlid or anyone else has even looked at it yet. So if you are doing a BGT-BP build (with SoBH, BG1NPC, and DSotSC of course), just use the 3.13 patch and the new S&H patch before adding any mods.

That's good to know. Gotta ask these things. The only thing I could figure out to do with the damned thing was to use the files to overwrite the bgt3 folder before running the BP autoinstaller. I reinstalled W/O CTB and everything went off without error messages. I haven't decided whether I'm going to try and install CTB or not. I have noticed on new peculiarity. The second time I come to The Friendly Arms, there's a new NPC there with some seriously fubared dialog. Any ideas as to who this new npc is and what he's supposed to say?

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#15 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:47 PM

An NPC? What mods do you have installed? DSotSC will put Jetlaya there, but if you think she is a guy, you have bigger problems!

Classic Adventures

#16 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 05:47 PM

An NPC? What mods do you have installed? DSotSC will put Jetlaya there, but if you think she is a guy, you have bigger problems!

Damned good question. I'll have to do an inventory.

FR-ROV, Item Upgrade, the approved Ease of Use items, Ajoc's, Munch Mod, MDX,
BP-Series, Refinements, the new Exnem, Bone Hill, TGC.

You know what? That's a lot of stuff, but most of it should be compatible. I'm not certain about Refinements and TGC, though.

It's not Jetlaya, and it's definitely a guy. The damned fool starts off by going on about the Nashkel mines having been cleared. (I haven't been there yet.) His last couple of lines seem to come from the Viconia encounter. He only seems to appear once. Wasn't there, last time into the Arms.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#17 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:19 PM

mark! what parts of refinements? because *most* parts of refinements (including the sword angel, the HLAs, swashImoen and the worldmap fix) are completely incompatible with a BP-BGT-anything install and *will* break it. with any luck, if you uninstall it, you might be able to save yr install. good luck....

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||