Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

^ The Draconomicon

#22 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:19 PM

Ah, I'll have to borrow thta one from a buddy of mine. :)

#23 zyrana

zyrana
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

Would Skeletal, Vampiric, and Zombie Dragons count?

There is a skeletal dragon in the Pool of Radiance book.

#24 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:46 AM

The platinum dragon (as far as I know, which isn't much for dragons) is the Avatar of Paladine in the Dragonlance world
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#25 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:45 AM

The platinum dragon (as far as I know, which isn't much for dragons) is the Avatar of Paladine in the Dragonlance world

And is also the avatar of Bahamut in the realms...

#26 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:44 AM

As i said I don't know much... now the Planes in general I do and Sigil I do but dragons? nogo
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#27 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:50 AM

Well, depending on who you ask, Bahamut and Paladine are the same being... :)

#28 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:53 AM

Well, depending on who you ask, Bahamut and Paladine are the same being... :)

I used to believe the Paldine is Bahamut thing once, but after the job that WOTC did with the FR cosmology, and the 3rd ed Dragonlance cosmology rehash I'm not so sure of it now.

#29 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:31 AM

What is the main difference between Dracoliches and Skeletal Dragons for example? The latter is only a mindless undead like a normal skeleton?
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#30 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:46 AM

What is the main difference between Dracoliches and Skeletal Dragons for example? The latter is only a mindless undead like a normal skeleton?

Thats right, the skeletal dragon is just an animated dragon skeleton, the dracolich is a completely different story.

Altho you cant really tell the difference until you've either:

a) had your butt kicked by the dracolich
B) butchered the skel dragon and thought 'wow, that was easy'

I think every smart dracolich should have a skeletal dragon kicking around his lair so that heroic parties of adventurers can waste all their buffs on a nothing.

;)

#31 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:47 AM

I used to believe the Paldine is Bahamut thing once, but after the job that WOTC did with the FR cosmology, and the 3rd ed Dragonlance cosmology rehash I'm not so sure of it now.

This is the first I've heard about the Dragonlance cosmology being changed as well :). But anyway, Bahamut is worshipped in Greyhawk as well as FR, so we can ignore the FR cosmology change. In fact, I don't think any 3E FR sourcebooks even mention Bahamut, so he may have been removed from the FR patheon (Tiamat's still there though).

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:15 AM

Interesting... I guess I wasn't really thinking the more exotic dragons, but its good to get them known too. Now, would it be too much trouble to tell me from what worlds the dragons I didn't list are from?

Lots more:

Amethyst Dragon
Emerald Dragon
Sapphire Dragon
Topaz Dragon
Platinum Dragon
Cerulean Dragon
Redhawk Dragon
Steel Dragon
Shadow Dragon
Crimson Dragon

I had Shadow Dragon :lol: !

#33 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:22 AM

Amethyst, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz, Steel and Shadow are all found on Aber-Toril (Forgotten Realms region) among other places. The Red Hawk Dragon is from Mystara, as is the Crimson Dragon. The Platinum dragon is an avatar of the lesser dragon deity Bahamut (or Paladine, depending on what you believe). It looks like the Cerulean Dragon is a typo, the actual one is Cerilian which can be found in the Birthright setting, but according to the Monster Manual it can also be found in any other location if the DM desires (as can all of them).

A further note, the gem dragons are the 3rd common branch found in the realms. Chromatic and Metallic are the other two. Gem dragons are typically neutral, while chromatic are typically evil and metallic are typically good.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#34 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:28 AM

Clear, but someone tell me this: are the evil dragons the only ones who turn into dracoliches?

#35 -dragonlord-

-dragonlord-

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:36 AM

yes :( my good dragon wanted to turn into a lich to protect others better

#36 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:18 AM

Very few dragons know the process of becoming a dracolich (IIRC it's far more complicated than a human becoming a lich, which itself is no easy matter), so most of the time they couldn't become one even if they wanted to.

In the Forgotten Realms, the Cult of the Dragon fully understand the process, but they only go for chromatic dragons.

#37 Xander77

Xander77

Freak Boy

• 436 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

In the Forgotten Realms, the Cult of the Dragon fully understand the process, but they only go for chromatic dragons.

Practical concerns, rather then ideological ones - a good dragon is much more likely to toast them when they make the offer.
Мы должны как раз дать эту хромающую страну к русским. Они awesome! Идет Nader! Кустик и Kerry имеют придурковатые weasels в их кальсонах!

#38 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:17 AM

They wouldn't want a good dragon to become a dracolich in the first place, since good dragons aren't exactly likely to support the idea of a world where dragons treat other beings as edible slaves.

#39 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:07 PM

The Cult helps chromatic dragons turn into dracoliches, but it has always been a bit unclear to me what are their motives. Btw can dracoliches fly like living dragons if they use magic?

#40 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:24 PM

I'd imagine so. Normal dragons would have to have some innate magic that allows them to fly, since their wings would have to be the size of several football fields to generate enough lift. Dracoliches probably have the same thing.