Siren

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:16 PM

Her amulet seems interesting. And aye, a costum Siren-only kit sounds like the best option, if none of the existing Bard classes fit her. And I agree she should be LE. ^^

#22 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:26 PM

Yeah... I think I might do a custom class, but as of now I think I'll leave her as a true class bard merely for simplicities sake.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#23 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:35 PM

I've no idea why, but when I think of her costum kit....the title "Corsair" comes to my mind.... :blink:

#24 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

Don't give her a custom kit or class, and don't give the character much power at all. Makes for a better MOD if you ask me :)

Rather keep the focus on good story and dialogues (and quests!).

崇高滑稽
·

#25 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 01:02 AM

Of course the dialogue and story are very important to an NPC Mod, but sometimes a costum kit can add depth and character to an NPC. ^^ not to mention the gameplay, if it's not overpowered. But aye, 'tis best to focus on the story and dialogue for now. Fun extras can always be added later, maybe even as an optional component. ^^

#26 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 02:43 AM

Yes. I think I'll concentrate more on banters and story for now. Banter samples anyone? ^^

Cernd ? 2nd banter

Siren: Cernd? I envy you?

Cernd: What makes you say that, Siren?

Siren: A life on the edge, Cernd. To be governed by the moon and her cycles? I find it most wondrous that a celestial body could be moved to influence the life of a tiny, insignificant being, be it only for a night.

Cernd: Well? thank you. That *really* boosted my confidence. Tiny and insignificant? great.

Siren: Compared to me you are? It angers me that YOU should be so touched when all celestial beings choose to ignore me. I deserve power. You squander it.

Cernd: That is foolish, Siren. My? ability to shift can be a boon at times, but it can also be harmful to those around me.

Siren: Those around me get harmed anyway? what does it matter if I cause that harm?

Cernd: I fin ?

Siren: It was rhetorical, fool! I wish to talk no more. Leave me.

Edwin ? 3rd banter

Siren: Edwin, was one of your parents a particularly scrawny half-orc by any chance?

Edwin: Whaat? No. Don?t be ridiculous. How could a loathsome half-orc ever produce a child so well groomed, and perfectly proportioned, and generally alluring? ehh, what was the question? ah yes, my parentage. No! Who could you even entertain such a ludicrous imagining. Surely it is beyond even you!

Siren: Well, I have ?encountered? a fair number of half-orcs in my time? and something in your bearing reminds me of them?

Edwin: Ahh yes, that would be my muscular form, my indomitable determination and my overwhelming-

Siren: Odour? Yes. Although I was thinking more along the lines of a kind of suppressed?

Edwin: Genius? Yes, I was never allowed to fully flower as a child, I-

Siren: No, a sort of suppressed? femininity, and an insatiable want for-

Edwin: For beautiful women? Well? hehe? what can I say. They also seem to have an appetite for m-

Siren: And insatiable want for sympathy and a friendly ear. I am done now. Leave me be.
Nalia

Siren: Nalia, you horrid little child, I could swear you want me dead. Last battle you seemed to purposefully drive me into a corner. You really need to learn to fight properly.

Nalia: Oh? Siren? I?m s-sorry. If-if you could teach me some things then? I think I would enjoy that.

Siren: Me? Teach you? Oh, what an amusing thought that is. I can just see us. The simpering little wishes-to-be-rebel, and me trying to hammer a few simple battle tactics through that thick skull she flaunts so. No, can?t see it happening. Why this waifish tone, girl?

Nalia: Well? It?s just? you?ve been adventuring for so long, and I think there must be some good in you somewhere! I-I would be lying if I said I didn?t admire you just slightly? for-for all of you been through? to have the strength to live.

Siren: Interesting. Little miss De?Arnise admires me. Tell me, girl, just how old are you?

Nalia: I?m 17 years old? that makes me... ehh? (She bites her lips, and begins to count on her fingers.)

Siren: 5 years younger then me, girl! Don?t they teach you basic Arithmetic in these poncy noble schools these days?

Nalia: Yes! I mean? of course they do. It?s just? hard. Living on the road. It?s difficult to get used to.

Siren: Your utter naivete is something I shall have to get rid of if your combat training is to work, girl.

Nalia: Oh! Oh! So? you will teach me! Thank you!

Korgan (If on party): Ach! Har! This should be funny! Ye know it is a lost cause, don?t ye, Siren?

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#27 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:35 AM

Cernd: Well? thank you. That *really* boosted my confidence. Tiny and insignificant? great.

Whoooo....that's the worst mood I've ever seen Cernd in :P
Great banters, Hishi! *thumbs up*

#28 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 12:19 PM

My thanks, Moongaze ;).

Siren does get on the nerves of several party members, Cernd, Valygar and Jaheira especially. Her and Viconia form a fairly trusting friendship, Nalia and Siren both love and hate each other, and her and Edwin are constantly trying to out-do each other, although there are no serious problems. ^^

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#29 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:16 PM

I don't think the banters are fitting that much, unless Nalia == Aerie in your mod :P

Also, Edwin always mutters under his breath.

Very important thing to note: It is a very bad idea to have her win every banter there is.

崇高滑稽
·

#30 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:28 AM

The idea with the Nalia thing is that at first, nalia is a bit in awe of her, but she steadily grows more confident around her, until it leads to one banter where Nalia has a sort of angry outburst at Siren. That banter she doesn't win. Haer'Dalis outsmarts her a few times, Vicnoia and her don't banter so much as discuss philosophies, and her and Jan just tell stories. Keldorn wins most his banters with her. So does Anomen, who, despite their differences, unserstands her quite well. Her and Korgan start off friendly, but they begin to loathe each other by their final banter.The thing about Siren is that if she doesn't like the way a conversation is going, she ends it abruptly. The conversation with Cernd, however, is continued in the next banter. ;) Also with a CHA of 18, she is pretty persuasive.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#31 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:11 PM

I can see that Edwin dialogue working, but not any of the other ones.

Nalia == Aerie in your mod

You read Aerie's dialogue? She does not act like that.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#32 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:15 PM

Do you have any suggestions for improving the dialogue? :( So far, every one seems to be saying that the dialogues don't work, but not really giving me a reason.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#33 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:30 PM

Edwins not sure
Nalia's She has high inteelligence so she wouldn't be stupid
Cernd Don't know
I never play Eddie or Cernd

#34 -dragonlord-

-dragonlord-

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:30 PM

that was me

#35 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:44 AM

Stats don't necessarily account for anyhting. Look at Eddie. He has 18 int, but he acts pretty stupid constantly. I've given my reasons for Nalia's banter.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#36 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:33 PM

Oh, Edwin isn't acting stupid :P

Do you have any suggestions for improving the dialogue?  :(  So far, every one seems to be saying that the dialogues don't work, but not really giving me a reason.

I think (hope) I've given my reasons clear enough - the banters just don't seem in-character sometimes.

Just keep working on it, and I'm sure it'll turn out great (it is a pretty good character concept ^_^ ), and I can only offer it again: If you need anything (portraits/paperdoll graphics/items/whatever), you know where to find me :)

崇高滑稽
·

#37 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:40 AM

Hmm, for banters... Now, it's all good that she ends the conversations abruptly... BUT - it's noncompelling for others. Edwin, for sure, should "win" at LEAST half banters, and if Siren tries the abrupt end thingie, Edwin would "kick her while down" a few times. Korgan could be rather mean, bringing in her past and stuff. and with an attitude like that, I can see her and Keldorn coming to blows in no time.

Actually, her and Keldorn fighting would be interesting with Viconia in the party - the drow, obviously bearing no great love for the old paladin, would join the fight on Siren's side.
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#38 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 11:21 AM

Yes, I have got a banter which ends with them fighting... but I will add Viconia in. :)

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#39 Sleeta

Sleeta
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:33 PM

I'd definitely be interested in this. Personally, I'd like to see a Jester, as that could definitely be interesting to have in the group -- even if her wit occasionally came into the "saying the wrong thing at the worst possible time category", as occasionally happens in real life ;) -- but then again, it's all about how you envision the character. I also like how you've got the other party members chipping in on her banters if they happen to be about; makes for a more unified feel to the group.

I'd have to agree with Ismail at least in the case of having her "lose" a few arguments now and again. CHA of 18 or no, everybody trips over their own tongue now and again, and yes, I think Edwin and especially Viconia would love to take her down a notch or two if given the opportunity.

If it actually comes to Siren getting into a full-blown fight with one of the NPCs, maybe you could add in a few options for the PC to at least try to smooth some things over before anyone ends up going hostile. Even if it didn't always succeed, I'd feel like a bit of a jerk for not trying to keep Siren or Edwin or anyone else from tearing someone's head off.
"It's always somethin' . . . 'Phenalope, check for traps.' 'Phenalope, open this here lock and get us the treasures.' 'Phenalope, my destiny's too hard, gimmie an ale and sing me a jaunty tune . . . ' "
Phenalope - When you just need a hug or a hamstring cut. A Baldur's Gate 2 NPC Friendship Mod. Because not everyone wants to get into your heroic britches.

"I was like a poor sinner who'd just found out he'd got to heaven after all."
~ Preacher

#40 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:47 PM

You should also be able to influence in just the other way, and have them end up literally fighting :)

崇高滑稽
·