Photo

Cernd, Et All

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Sleeta

Sleeta
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:14 PM

Has anyone out there tried/thought of a Cernd Romance? Yeah, while I'm not incredibly taken with the guy myself, he IS one of the few Bioware NPCs who makes an effort to get to know you. And you, in turn, get to repay him by turning against him through virtue of a forced skewed opinion in the game when his quest pops up, and heralding him towards a very unsatisfying ending in ToB.

Working on Phenalope as I am, I'm really not in any position to take on any new projects. (Although I am THE original "I HAVE FIFTEEN PROJECTS GOING AT ONCE THAT SHALL NEVER SEE COMPLETION" girl, which I am deliberately avoiding to finish Phenalope) Still, this is something I'd like to see come about. Even if not a romance, just a bit of extra interaction, something that could maybe ensure he has a destiny that's a little more cheerful and a lot less prone to making you hear angsty emo music in your head whenever you think about it.

The same can be said of all the other NPCs. I know there's a Viconia and an Imoen relationship mod in the works, which I'm eagerly awaiting, and I'd love to see the same crop up on some of the other NPCs. The one that leaps immediately to mind, aside from Cernd, was Minsc, who had virtually no interactivity at all, and really deserved some.

In Minsc's case, think of it this way; he's just lost Dynaheir (even though he asks Aerie to become his witch, there's gotta be some emotional stuff left untouched there), and his biography frelling TELLS you he's becoming more dependant on Boo, likely because of it. Minsc's a sweet, kind guy who's probably extremely lonely at heart (and would be even more so if you just abandoned him in Athkatla to make room for someone else, you heartless person, you), and he really deserves to have someone being an actual friend to him. Hey, the PC isn't the only one who's had some hard times, so why can't we be his friend and sympathetic ear too? Minsc isn't nearly as stupid as he seems, just childike, and he's prone to some great insights, but . . . you know the song. "Everybody needs somebody, sometimes . . . "

I'll say the same of Jaheira, too. She's a stronger person than Minsc, emotionally and mentally, so she wouldn't need the same coddling, but why can't we exchange a kind word with her now and then? She mothers (nags) us enough, and the most we get (if we're female, mind) is telling her there's no shame in her sorrow when she wakes up from a nightmare.

There's so much that can be done with these NPCs that HASN'T been. Of course, it's clearly a time and commitment thing, and not everybody wants the same thing. But adding more interaction (bless you, Edwin Romance Mod and Laufey and Dorotea! Bless you!), even if just on a friendly level, is something I'd personally like to see.

Anybody else interested?

As an aside, I . . . read about that Minsc romance mod that was floating around and isn't going to see completion and is basically up for grabs. Is it STILL up for grabs? Is there STILL interest? Because, y'know, I thought maybe, when Phenalope was done, if people thought it was okay, I might . . . *trails off, muttering*
"It's always somethin' . . . 'Phenalope, check for traps.' 'Phenalope, open this here lock and get us the treasures.' 'Phenalope, my destiny's too hard, gimmie an ale and sing me a jaunty tune . . . ' "
Phenalope - When you just need a hug or a hamstring cut. A Baldur's Gate 2 NPC Friendship Mod. Because not everyone wants to get into your heroic britches.

"I was like a poor sinner who'd just found out he'd got to heaven after all."
~ Preacher

#2 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:40 PM

I wish I could mod (working at learning it slowly, couple of secret projects under my belt, but shh), because I would sooooo voulenteer to help with this. Who know, this paired with the Totemic Cernd mod could make him alot more "pickable". Bioware went to work putting in banters and such for him, but they made him somewhat weak and unappealing IMHO. A romance, might be enough to spark interest in him. I am all for this, and would help as much as I could with this as well.

As for the Minsc romance, where was this, and has anyone taken it over? My wife would LOVE this mod, and I guess if no one is taking over it, maybe I could try to do this with her help (with permission from the original writes naturally).

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#3 Sleeta

Sleeta
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:39 AM

I wish I could mod (working at learning it slowly, couple of secret projects under my belt, but shh), because I would sooooo voulenteer to help with this. Who know, this paired with the Totemic Cernd mod could make him alot more "pickable". Bioware went to work putting in banters and such for him, but they made him somewhat weak and unappealing IMHO. A romance, might be enough to spark interest in him. I am all for this, and would help as much as I could with this as well.

As for the Minsc romance, where was this, and has anyone taken it over? My wife would LOVE this mod, and I guess if no one is taking over it, maybe I could try to do this with her help (with permission from the original writes naturally).

View Post

The thread that I read was here: http://www.shsforums...?showtopic=7858 As for the mod itself, I have to agree with your wife, I'd love to see this finished (although, oddly enough, I'd never even though of Minsc as a prospect until I read that). Under the "Frequently Occuring Ideas" thread, it says there's a fairly developed Minsc romance mod looking for someone to take it over, and to contact Rastor to take it over if you're interested. I'm just not sure if it's still available. If you're not going to take a crack at it, I certainly wouldn't mind trying. :)
"It's always somethin' . . . 'Phenalope, check for traps.' 'Phenalope, open this here lock and get us the treasures.' 'Phenalope, my destiny's too hard, gimmie an ale and sing me a jaunty tune . . . ' "
Phenalope - When you just need a hug or a hamstring cut. A Baldur's Gate 2 NPC Friendship Mod. Because not everyone wants to get into your heroic britches.

~ Preacher

#4 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:18 PM

If you're not going to take a crack at it, I certainly wouldn't mind trying.  :)

I know next to nothing about modding and coding, so if I did it, add about another year (at least) to the project. I am in the process of learning (as well as a full time job) but that will take time. If you are willing to take over it (and get permission) you not only have my blessing, but If you want, me and my lady could help with some of the writing for it.

#5 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:38 PM

Why is there a need to make all NPC's romancable?

Cernd by both admision, character and by action is hardly marrying/romance material.

His interests, let alone his heart clearly lies elsewhere.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#6 Sleeta

Sleeta
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

Cernd by both admision,  character and by action is hardly marrying/romance material.

His interests, let alone his heart clearly lies elsewhere.

View Post

Actually, I didn't say romanceable for all. Or, if I did, I didn't intend to. :blush: I was simply wondering why there isn't a mod out there for more development for NPCs, a sort of Chat Pack like the Flirt Pack. Cernd was just the example that sprung immediately to mind because of how dissatisfied I was with the way they handed his character.

I just think it's weird that you're travelling with these people who you literally go through hell and back with and most of them have barely two words to say to you. Romance is one way of providing some depth, although clearly it isn't for everyone, or feasible. I'm just one of those "MORE INTERACTION! MORE DEPTH!" people in regards to RPGs, so maybe romance is too limiting a word.

I agree Cernd isn't at the top of the pole for realistic romance options, but there are others I would have thought would have fallen into the same category (Valygar being one of them.).

As for Minsc, well . . . I just think the guy deserves SOMETHING. Major, I'd definitely love to share the workload for the mod . . . especially if it's still up for grabs. Because, good grief, would that one be a doozy to write convincingly. :)

~ Preacher

#7 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

Well if you get permission to do it, lemme know when and where to help.

#8 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:06 PM

A Cernd friendship mod might be worth instigating then.

Has more possibilities I believe.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:29 AM

Perhaps they would like RL style?
Anyways, I say that Cernd friendship mod would be better than a romance one, because more ppl would perhaps play it then.

#10 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:43 AM

Cernd was always one of my favorite NPCs, and I long pondered about doing his romance. The fact that he is not marriage material does not mean that he is not a romance material. I think he is refreshingly realistic among the male NPC's with their accursed past, fiendish heritage, magical hamsters and turnips.

Speaking of turnips a Jan's romance while asking for a very good writer could be fun :)

And yes, I am all for making every NPC romanceable under a certain set of conditions.

#11 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:12 PM

And yes, I am all for making every NPC romanceable under a certain set of conditions.

Yay for Domi!

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:22 AM

Well, it's RL style to have romance for every NPC. Options are always good. At some point there will propably be a romance for every BioWare NPC. At least I think so.

#13 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:37 AM

Well, it's RL style to have romance for every NPC. Options are always good. At some point there will propably be a romance for every BioWare NPC. At least I think so.

View Post

*nods* I think you're right about that.
Personally I think that a Cernd relationship is a good idea, as well as a Minsc relatinship, and when we're busy anyway, why not a Korgan relationship as well.
Oh, and before I'm misunderstood (which happens too often I'm afraid :rolleyes: ), a "relationship" isn't the same as a "romance". :)

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:51 AM

Personally I think that a Cernd relationship is a good idea, as well as a Minsc relatinship, and when we're busy anyway, why not a Korgan relationship as well.
Oh, and before I'm misunderstood (which happens too often I'm afraid), a "relationship" isn't the same as a "romance".

Huh, you got me scared there... Korgy romance ;) :P !

Edited by Archmage Silver, 16 November 2004 - 06:53 AM.

#15 Atlasia

Atlasia

I am Inari

• 344 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:55 AM

Korgy romance ;)  :P !

I can see it now. Korgan'll cut the PC down to little bits for even looking at another man... :D :D :D

Edited by Atlasia, 16 November 2004 - 06:58 AM.

Love is a fallacy.
The only thing worse than a hopeless romantic is a hopeful one.
My BG2 Custom Portraits
Posted Image

#16 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:04 AM

Korgy romance ;)  :P !

I can see it now. Korgan'll cut the PC down to little bits for even looking at another man... :D :D :D

View Post

Or maybe he'll cut down that other man if he looks at the PC..... :P

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:24 AM

...or perhaps he just goes berserk and kills everyone :rolleyes: ...

#18 Atlasia

Atlasia

I am Inari

• 344 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:34 AM

View Post

Hmm...is it just me or is the idea of a Korgan romance seemingly more fun now? Oh, if I could but actually code I'd do it myself (along with a womanizing female fighter/thief).
Love is a fallacy.
The only thing worse than a hopeless romantic is a hopeful one.
My BG2 Custom Portraits
Posted Image

#19 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:49 PM

View Post

Hmm...is it just me or is the idea of a Korgan romance seemingly more fun now? Oh, if I could but actually code I'd do it myself (along with a womanizing female fighter/thief).

View Post

'Tis not you. It *does* seem more fun now that it's actually being discussed. Most people would shudder at the thought and leave it be.

#20 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:49 AM

Enjoyable to talk to with stories to tell. check
potentially violent jealosy with other romance options. check
tramatic past to talk about in lovetalks (look at mazy banters). check
provides lacking races with a romance. check
potential encounter. check
attraction to another npc that'l make the pc jealous. check.
double-entandras involcing axe. check.
completely unique feel from other romances. Double check.

Korgan's perfect for a romance. he should have been the defualt instead of anomen.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock