Dialogue.. and the next step?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

Hi guys, i am most certainly the least skilled modder you will ever encounter. I don't even deserve that title.

Basically i'm an author, i've written books for friends and family and am currently speaking with a couple people about getting published. Part of what i like doing as a writter is using the dialogue creator i found on these forums to create dialogue trees for people to play through. I've always wondered if it were possible to impliment these dialogues into some form of isometric engine? what i'm talking about is a few avartars standing around in a room looking not-unlike any of the infinity engine games. Does such a thing exsist? is it even possible to re-create to isometric style, let alone impliment the dialogues into it? All i am planning on doing is creating a few interludes and conversations, no real action, so it's not like i need good graphics or anything, just something a little more involved that a window of text

Any help would be appreciated, though i suspect my fluffly-headed dreams will be promptly trooden on by the boot of reality

#2 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:22 AM

Eh? If I read correctly, of course it is posible. That's what these forums are for. Modding a certain isometric (if i'm using the word correctly) game. ;)

I suggest going to Weidu.org and reading the readme and tutorial. If you don't understand some of it, look at it for awhile, if you still don't get it, come here and ask questions.

There are also good tutorials in the tutorial forum.

Be advised, Weidu requires immense patience. Trust me. I know (i'm a newbie modder), but eventually you'll catch on. It is actually quite simple.

EDIT: Although, I think I misread your post...all you were asking was how to make characters stand in a room and talk...right?

Edited by Blitz, 21 November 2004 - 09:23 AM.

#3 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:55 AM

Yes, all i really want is to create a room (looked at from an isometric camera angle) put a few avartars in it, and assign multiple choice dialogue to them. I downloaded a program which allows me to build dialogue from this website using 'nodes' and 'children', it would be especially helpful if i could impliment these files into a program which allows me to create said room. The dialogue files i am talking about end in .dlg

To put it another way, is there any way to basically create my own version of one of the infinity engine games? BGII, IWD2, PS:T Etc. Obviously i would not intend to create a whole game, just a small room as i have said, but i would want it to be of a similar nature to convos in those games.

Thankyou for your patience

#4 -adam-

-adam-

Posted 21 November 2004 - 10:58 AM

In addition, i checked the URL you posted. I understood what i was reading, which was a list of mods - to my understanding, a mod is a way of altering the content of a game, what i was thinking of was a program which allowed me to create my own, i saw nothing of that nature there - am i just a moron, did i miss it?

Thanks once again

#5 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:12 PM

The file he was pointing you to is Weidu.exe. That's an installer (essentially) for putting things into the game. You don't actually use that program to write your dialog though. That you'll be writing up in a text file. The weidu readme will explain how, and there are a few tutorials floating around that'll help you get started.

#6 neriana

neriana
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:56 PM

Besides asking for help and reading the WeiDU tutorials, you should also familiarize yourself with the code of other mods. The one-day NPC Ghareth is ideal for this purpose, IMO. http://www.pocketpla...d=113&Itemid=84

#7 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:43 AM

Ok, thanks alot guys.

I have downloaded WeiDU, and am also in the process of reading a few tutorials i found. I am slightly worried, however, at something somebody said about having to write my dialogue in .txt format? How would i ever impliment 'nodes', 'children' and 'strings' into a .txt file?

Am i to believe that WeiDU is just a way of putting .txt files into an infinity engine?

#8 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:47 AM

Ok, i have read the basic tutorial for WeiDU, and have come to understand how to create dialogue files ETC. (I was thinking i would be able to create dialogue with the TEAMBG dlg creator then copy and paste but apparently not.. that's a few hours of my life i'd like back)

The tutorial i read was by Ghreyfain titled "A beginner's guide to NPC creation with WeiDU" and was just about finished with creating his "Vondothejust" character, when he suddenly told me to 'create a file called vondothejust.tp2' does anybody know what a .tp2 file is and how i create one?

#9 neriana

neriana
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

Ok, i have read the basic tutorial for WeiDU, and have come to understand how to create dialogue files ETC. (I was thinking i would be able to create dialogue with the TEAMBG dlg creator then copy and paste but apparently not.. that's a few hours of my life i'd like back)

The tutorial i read was by Ghreyfain titled "A beginner's guide to NPC creation with WeiDU" and was just about finished with creating his "Vondothejust" character, when he suddenly told me to 'create a file called vondothejust.tp2' does anybody know what a .tp2 file is and how i create one?

View Post

It's a text file saved with the extension .tp2 instead of .txt.

Posting questions on the forum where the tutorial is hosted is always a good idea, by the way :).

#10 Judas

Judas
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:11 AM

View Post

It's a text file saved with the extension .tp2 instead of .txt.

Posting questions on the forum where the tutorial is hosted is always a good idea, by the way :).

View Post

Cheers :D

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:03 AM

i just tried to save a .txt file as a .tp2... it becomes unrecogniseable by the text editor.. i take it this is not intentional?

#12 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:07 AM

You can use "Open with..." and then use your text-editor again. It'll look the same.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#13 Judas

Judas
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:27 AM

You can use "Open with..." and then use your text-editor again. It'll look the same.

View Post

thanks i did that, much appreciated... while i'm at it: does anybody know of a way to make use of the TeamBG dialogue editor? It lets me make .dlg files directly, i was wondering how easy it would be for me to impliment these into my NPCS

EDIT: had the methaphorical shit metaphorically kicked out of me by a few more experienced modders than i, i no longer need help with this issue

Edited by Judas, 24 November 2004 - 09:52 AM.