BP s_and_h Patch v4 released

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 02:18 AM

version 4 of the Big Picture s_and_h Patch is now available. It is currently available from my site, and will become available from the usual mirrors as they get copies.

New for Version 4:
  • corrected the .tp2 bug that prevented the Sureblade Fixes from installing.
  • removed the Redemption compatibility fix, as it was causing the patch to fail for many users. Redemption users will have to check manually that the file BODHIND.2DA is in their override folder before installing Redemption.
  • replaced my non-functional Simyaz fix with the working one from the 3.13 patch.
  • tweaked the Lasaonar Fix so that he should now attack all four drow in the Tavern Duel.
Version 4 will happily install over previous versions; none of the fixes will require a new game to be started, and unless you've already seen the Simyaz and Lasaonar problems, you wn't even need to use a previous save.

if part of a fresh install, this patch should be installed immeidately after the main BP (or BP-BGT, BP-NEJ or BP-BGT-NEJ) install has been completed, and before any other mods are installed.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#2 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:13 PM

Sneaky bastard, I didn't even see this one coming. :P

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

do we install the s and h patch after the bp-bgt-nej patch313?

#4 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 08:51 PM

Yes.

#5 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:18 AM

Everything in this patch still refers to v3. Its a little disconcerting.

#6 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:40 PM

View Post

I noticed this too, probably the text was not changed. However, I know the v4 patch has been updated because the Rolf's Sureblade bug did not appear upon installation, as was the case with v3.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#7 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 02:10 AM

always good to know that you can track the versions of the patch by the evolution of my errors :ermm: and here was me pleased that i'd remembered to send out a version with an empty backup folder....

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#8 beefstu

beefstu
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

View Post

OK so excuse my ignorance, but as everything still refers to v3, how do I know if I'm installing v4 or not?

#9 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:48 PM

Take it on faith. :P

#10 Rattledagger

Rattledagger
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 10:41 AM

Any reason for always getting:
"Installing [NEJ-specific fixes]

No NEJ installed. NEJ fixes not needed."

This on a new bp-bgt-nej auto-install, removed weidu.log before installing setup-bp-bgt-nej_patch313 and trying to install this s&h-patch4...

#11 Sara Blackhand

Sara Blackhand
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:02 AM

Any reason for always getting:
"Installing [NEJ-specific fixes]

No NEJ installed. NEJ fixes not needed."

This on a new bp-bgt-nej auto-install, removed weidu.log before installing setup-bp-bgt-nej_patch313 and trying to install this s&h-patch4...

View Post

The autoinstaller "biffes" the override, and it seems that the BP s_and_h Patch v4

cant find the file it uses when it checks to see if nej is installed

from the tp2 file

BEGIN @5 //NEJ-specific fixes
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~Override/ehhroth.bcs~ // NEJ Installed at some point.
OR FILE_EXISTS ~ehhroth.bcs~
THEN BEGIN
PRINT @6 //NEJ is installed. Patching proceeding.

Extracting the ehhroth.bcs file to the override before aplying the patch worked for me , but i would like to have a confirmation from Hlid or Seanes

#12 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:07 AM

It's a weidu glitch. We're not sure why it happens as it's not supposed to work that way.

#13 Rattledagger

Rattledagger
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 12:27 PM

Hmm, throws ehhroth.bcs into the override-folder, actually backed-up override before biffed ;) and selected to re-install the NEJ-fixes...

Result, Hrotghar have totally screwed-up text, and the text added to journal after talking to him is screwed-up...

Also tried using the full 15883-files override-folder and accompanying chitin.key & dialog.tlk from before the auto-installer biffed the files, and same result...

So looks like it's actually better the so-called nej-fixes isn't being installed...

#14 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 04:02 PM

With version 3, I was able to get the NeJ patches to work by installing the NeJFix.exe (version 1.4) after the BGT-BP-3.13 patch. With version 4 of the S&H patch it didn't work. I'll have to look into it later but for now, I'm not sure what is the best way to fix NeJ other than to manually copy over the files from the patch.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#15 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 05:06 PM

are you saying that v4 doesn't install but v3 does? they're both checking for ehhroth.bcs - i was planning on changing the ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS to be Bag02NeJ.itm instead of ehhroth.bcs, but never got around to it - there's no reason (well, no good reason, anyway), why v4 should fail where v3 doesn't.

for experimental purposes, try this version of the s_and_h patch .tp2: it checks for Bag02NeJ.itm, so if it installs where the v4 doesn't, we know what the v5 will check for....

Attached Files

#16 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 07:28 PM

are you saying that v4 doesn't install but v3 does? they're both checking for ehhroth.bcs - i was planning on changing the ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS to be Bag02NeJ.itm instead of ehhroth.bcs, but never got around to it - there's no reason (well, no good reason, anyway), why v4 should fail where v3 doesn't.

for experimental purposes, try this version of the s_and_h patch .tp2: it checks for Bag02NeJ.itm, so if it installs where the v4 doesn't, we know what the v5 will check for....

View Post

The above works fine. I always edit the .tp2 file changing the check for ehhroth.bcs to Bag02NeJ.itm before installing the s_and_h patch.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#17 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:46 AM

are you saying that v4 doesn't install but v3 does?

Yes, but I don't know why. I see that they both look for the same file and the NeJ patch from Vlad doesn't extract the searched for file into the override anyway. But for some reason, I always had a successful install of the NeJ's part of S&H if I added Vlad's patch first. Maybe Weidu was just having a good day (I have had my share of bad days for Weidu). Whatever the reason, it worked before and now it doesn't. Not a big deal for me since I haven't gotten out of the BG1 world in over a year now so I haven't played that far into the game.

I'll be building out some test installs later this week, so I can test out any changes to the patches at that time if you would like.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#18 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this question. And my apologies if it has been asked a thousand times before.

Problem is: Montaron (and with him Xzar) are leaving my party without reason and as soon as I ask them to join again they will immediately leave again...

As I understand it this is most likely caused by BG1NPCBGT and those characters not having a 'default' dialog, but the V4 patch was supposed to fix this problem.

I just came back to BGII and started a new game with most of the mods installed (bp-bgt-nej-ctb-bg1npcbgt-dsotc-sobh..., install looks good, except for the ctb-xp-bug) and want to give it a complete run-through from start to end. So right now I am very early in the game (just visited high hedge and now I am west of it).

Any hints will be greatly appreciated :wub:

Regards,

Yacomo

#19 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:56 PM

There is a longstanding bug with leaving and joining dialogues for all joinable NPCs in the BGI portion of the game. Currently there is no fix yet because it requires a hell of a lot of work, but it is under the to-do list of fixes. For now, are you able to Ctrl-Q them?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#20 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can ctrl-q them, but Montarons 'leaving party' dialog will pop up immediately. If I ask him to stay, the dialog keeps popping up endlessly and if I allow him to leave, then ask him to rejoin, the whole procedure just starts over again.

What exactly does 'a lot of work to fix' mean? I am absolutely new to BGII modding, but I have quite some experience with Java-Programming (I do it for a living) - so for instance if lots of text files need to be modified in a complex but automatable (does this word exist) manner I might be able to offer some assistance.

Regards,

Yacomo