Conquest

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:52 AM

I was thinking about an After the End sort of mod. If you decide to become a god, you have to do something first for.. hm.. Ao. Ao won't let you become a god unless you do one more thing for him- Conquer Baldur's Gate. To me, seeing all the things modders can acomplish now, this seems a bit easy. Even so, a bit of work would need to be done.. and well, what do you guys think? I'm not sure if this sounds interesting.. and of course things need to be added.

Edited by discharger12, 26 November 2004 - 07:54 AM.

Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#2 -Carnage-

-Carnage-

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:56 AM

Sounds a bit silly actually. Ao has almost no interest in human affairs and I see no reason why there has to be any sort of further proving of one's self to him.

And how much of this are you able to accomplish yourself?

#3 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:15 PM

Sounds a bit silly actually.  Ao has almost no interest in human affairs and I see no reason why there has to be any sort of further proving of one's  self to him.

And how much of this are you able to accomplish yourself?

View Post

You mean as in me making the mod? I could do the script and stuff.. but really it's only an idea.

Hence "Mod Ideas"
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

#4 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:32 PM

Why would he want to see that? You've already take non dragons and Demi-Gods, far more powerfu ltha the deniziens of Baldur's Gate. Not to mention Ao's non-interference type attitude. Ao has nothign to gain, beign more powerfu lthan the gods themselves, so what is the point?

#5 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:02 AM

Why would he want to see that?  You've already take non dragons and Demi-Gods, far more powerfu ltha the deniziens of Baldur's Gate.  Not to mention Ao's non-interference type attitude.  Ao has nothign to gain, beign more powerfu lthan the gods themselves, so what is the point?

View Post

Fine, then what do you suggest?

#6 Sleeta

Sleeta
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:30 AM

I don't know about "having to conquer something before you become a God", but what if it was something else staying next to the theme of returning to Baldur's Gate? I haven't played the first game, mind, so I'll be vague when I say, what if you have someone from the first game, a close friend from or near Baldur's Gate, who petitions you for help shortly after you ascend to Godhood? Say, he or she has moved to Baldur's Gate or some such thing, and the city is under siege by the followers of cyric/bandits/planars/anything else more logical and they're petitioning you to intervene on their behalf? Maybe because you haven't been a God for very long, you're still feeling out your new powers, and thus you're forced to take an earthly avatar to aid? Peaceable solutions for those following good, violence for evil, ect, all the standard choices. Maybe a new NPC or two, a cleric in your order or some such thing, I don't know. Either way, a plot loosely connected to something like that would be an excuse to return to Baldur's Gate and quell the trouble there if you're a good deity, or indeed "conquer" it if you were evil. I'm thinking it could be primarily hack and slash, although there'd be a possibility for a definite balance of roleplay and the stuff, for those of you who like a little talk and choice with your massive high-level battles.

. . . I dunno, folks, I got nuthin'. My boyfriend's the tabletop gamer in the relationship -- has been for fifteen years -- I just got into Neverwinter Nights for him, so my Forgotten Realms knowledge is . . . lacking. Sorry if any or all of that suggestion was completely impossible/silly. :)
"It's always somethin' . . . 'Phenalope, check for traps.' 'Phenalope, open this here lock and get us the treasures.' 'Phenalope, my destiny's too hard, gimmie an ale and sing me a jaunty tune . . . ' "
Phenalope - When you just need a hug or a hamstring cut. A Baldur's Gate 2 NPC Friendship Mod. Because not everyone wants to get into your heroic britches.

"I was like a poor sinner who'd just found out he'd got to heaven after all."
~ Preacher

#7 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:50 PM

I don't know about "having to conquer something before you become a God", but what if it was something else staying next to the theme of returning to Baldur's Gate?  I haven't played the first game, mind, so I'll be vague when I say, what if you have someone from the first game, a close friend from or near Baldur's Gate, who petitions you for help shortly after you ascend to Godhood?  Say, he or she has moved to Baldur's Gate or some such thing, and the city is under siege by the followers of cyric/bandits/planars/anything else more logical and they're petitioning you to intervene on their behalf?  Maybe because you haven't been a God for very long, you're still feeling out your new powers, and thus you're forced to take an earthly avatar to aid?  Peaceable solutions for those following good, violence for evil, ect, all the standard choices.  Maybe a new NPC or two, a cleric in your order or some such thing, I don't know.  Either way, a plot loosely connected to something like that would be an excuse to return to Baldur's Gate and quell the trouble there if you're a good deity, or indeed "conquer" it if you were evil.  I'm thinking it could be primarily hack and slash, although there'd be a possibility for a definite balance of roleplay and the stuff, for those of you who like a little talk and choice with your massive high-level battles.

. . . I dunno, folks, I got nuthin'.  My boyfriend's the tabletop gamer in the relationship -- has been for fifteen years -- I just got into Neverwinter Nights for him, so my Forgotten Realms knowledge is . . . lacking.  Sorry if any or all of that suggestion was completely impossible/silly.  :)

View Post

No, no, no. That's a great idea! Anyone else agree?

#8 -Guest_Necrontyr_*-

-Guest_Necrontyr_*-

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:06 AM

Well, as a demigod (which is all you'd be if you ascended) you'd be limited to a single weak (at least compared to the other gods) avatar. There's also a possibility you'd be dwelling on the Prime Material Plane anyway.

#9 toughluck

toughluck
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

A 'weak' avatar? I would be led to believe that it would be at the very least level 50 (which is possible to attain during the course of the game, perhaps a few times), otherwise what's the point of ascension?

#10 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:33 PM

level 50 is not possibly obtainable in an unmoded game. Also i'm not sure that you'd start as a demigod, you absorb all of bhaal's essance, and he was intermediate.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#11 -Carnage-

-Carnage-

Posted 01 December 2004 - 09:48 PM

Benefits of being a long time lurker made me remember this: -

http://www.shsforums...hp?showforum=44

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:42 PM

I agree with the others; this mod concept sounds a bit contrived. Still, I love the idea of an aftermath mod, so...
What may be interesting, if anyone would like an astonishingly huge, long-term project, is a sort of grand finale involving either the PC or a pregenerated crusading priest/paladin of his/her newly formed church at war, through several new areas, with the followers of Cyric and various mercenary groups. The crazy bastard would probably carry a grudge toward the PC even if it remains a mortal, and this silly plot would even allow for the non-lovetalk afterstories to be left in (lovers could perhaps have a brief cutscene at the very beginning of the mod in which they are murdered by Cyric's assassins) and new NPCs to be added (converts from Cyric, mercenaries looking for better pay, people trapped in the warzone, etc.). Of course, this damn thing would have to be gigantic, including unique dialogue options throughout depending on which path you took in Throne of Bhaal. It would, in fact, probably have to be about the size of that entire expansion, come to think of it. But hey, if you're an incredibly compotent masochistic programmer with too much free time, you may make a lot of fans much more pleased with the modification possibilities of the series.

#13 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:02 PM

But hey, if you're an incredibly compotent masochistic programmer with too much free time, you may make a lot of fans much more pleased with the modification possibilities of the series.

View Post

I think almost everyone here wants an AoE mod. It's just a shame what happened to the actual in-the making mod.

And I have to disagree Necron, I really don't think you'd start out as a demi-god.
If you remember, Cyric was a bit afraid of you in that Pocket Plane test, and you'd have to be pretty strong to make him feel threatened. No demi-god could do that. (unless some prophecy said otherwise)

#14 -Guest_Necrontyr_*-

-Guest_Necrontyr_*-

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:59 AM

Cyric is generally outraged at the way Ao has banned him from simply smiting the Bhaalspawn and is a little concerned about the threat they *may* cause in future.

An ascended Bhaalspawn would be nothing but a demigod due to a few factors.

1. You are an unknown. Only a few knowledgable people in a few countries of Faerun actually know your name. To the rest you're just another dangerous Bhaalspawn.

2. You have very few worshippers and thus, in post-ToT Faerun, very little divine power. Gods like Bane who returned had a pre-existing worshipper base to draw on (from both Xvim and Banite diehards). Bhaal's church was incorperated into Cyric's to a much greater degree than Bane's and the diehard Bhaalites would think of you as nothing more than a thief of the great Lord Murder's rightful place. Even more so if you were good.

3. You have no portfolio. Kelemvor holds Death, while Cyric holds Murder. Both are doing a good job of their duties so Ao isn't likely to hand a portfolio over to you.

4. Even if you insist on having Death or Murder, no two powers of the same pantheon can have the same portfolio unless one is a demigod.

#15 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 04:04 PM

1. You could always take the name of bhaal to gain his followers or make it seem like something he passed on.
2. Thats just the power you have in the realms, you should have similar power to what bhaal had in the abyss, so you would be harder to kill than a demigod.
3. I thought the plot implied you would steal death. I thought murder wasn't an aspect in 2e/when bhaal was around.
4. see 3
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#16 -Wolvorine-

-Wolvorine-

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:09 PM

So why not a plot where you have to aquire yourself a few portfolios for your new divine rank? You'd have to take them, or bargain for them, from other gods. You know, there might be some gods from the pantheons of other races who could grant you something that the human gods might not, even, although that's just one of those "this could be interesting..." ideas.

You got to ascend to godhood in ToB... the next step is to aquire what you need to fulfill your position, right? Just because you've got the divine ranks and a demiplane doesn't mean you've got all you need to BE a god. Get yourself a 'Divine Mentor' to teach you the ropes, some interplay with other gods (to make allies and enemies), maybe get some REALLY minor portfolios as gifts from those who take you under their wing (which would, of course, be based on your alignment).. etc.

And no, I'm not a modder, so I won't be Doing It Myself. Just throwing ideas into the thread. :)