Photo

Really Odd Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:46 PM

Suppose I was DMing a Campaign. And suppose one of my player's characters slept wiht a dwarven gatekeepr. Now suppose she was impregnated. How do I determine when the kid will be born and what stats and whatnot it will have?

#2 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:51 PM

Going by Aerie, the kid will be born in a couple weeks and be invincible.

#3 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:47 PM

Personally I've ruled that dwarves are infertile with nearly all other races, but that does not mean that you have to do the same.

I haven't seen anywhere that the gestation period for dwarves is much different than for humans, so I would guess than the pregnancy would last 9-10 months. The child would probably have a mixture of dwarven and human features (assuming the mother was human). You compaire half-elves to elves and humans to give you an idea of what abilities would be kept, lost, or altered when creating a human/dwarf crossbreed.

Another thing you shold consider is the size of the half-dwarf fetus, it wil almost certianly be larger than a human and the pregnancy/birth could very well be fatal for the mother, unless the mother is of a larger race.

#4 toughluck

toughluck
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:33 AM

The only rules for mixing dwarf and human races I can think of are Mul of Dark Sun. Larger than humans, much stronger than dwarves, but pregnancy is very often fatal for the female dwarf - to let the baby live, mother has often have to be cut open (caesarean), but in Dark Sun they leave her be (muls are more expensive than any other race), so there is no actual way to determine what has to be done to let her live. In adition, pregnancy lasts for 12 months.
Beyond all that, the child will probably be scorned and cast out - to humans it would prove very dangerous, to dwarves - too large for their abodes.

What will the player do right now? Stay for the twelve months (and/or longer), or will they leave (wham bam thank you ma'am)?

#5 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 04:46 AM

Note: The following is very spoilerish, if you happen to play in a tabletop forgotten realms campaign.

Actually, in the Forgotten Realms setting, half-dwarfs happen a lot more often than they'ed admit. The Dwarven race is suffering from a serious infertility crisis on the female side and some clans have resorted to desperate measures to save the race. As luck would have it, the product of a dwarf-human coupling is only slightly taller than usual for a dwarf, and almost indistinguishable.
The case of a human father, dwarven mother would be far more rare though. I doubt very much that there'd be an apprecable increase in risk to the mother, but fertile dwarven female are rare and guarded jealously.

From Dwarves Deep, FR11: The offspring of a human and dwarf is always dwarven enough to pass for a true dwarf (although it may be a foot taller than other dwarves). Any offspring it has with a dwarven mate will be fully dwarven. The taking of human mates is "the secret salvation of the race" referred to by some dwarven elders.
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#6 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:45 AM

Thats interesting. I actually have dwarves deep, but as I am not really fond of the realms, I haven't got around to reading it.

I am quite familar with muls, as I have played and DMed campaigns based on Athas. It's quite alien compaired to many other campaigns and I don't really like the idea of the mul route for dwaven half breeds out side of Dark Sun.

I usually rule that dwarves are not able to produce offspring with any mortal races besides the various dwarf subraces (though I exclude derro, they usually aren't considered to really be related to dwarves). Offical campaign material does take precident though, if it's not my own campaign world of course.

#7 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

You seem to have misinterpreted my question. My player was a human female who slept with a dwarven gatekeeper. I'm kind of surprised that there is no half-dwarf race.

#8 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:07 PM

Two have been listed. Muls (sterile dwarf/human hybrids) from Athas (wich would not fit in well with and Half-Dwarves from Toril (wich are basically slightly taller dwarves).

If you want a half-dwarf look up the two possibilities that have already been listed or make it up yourself.

Half-breed races are generally used sparingly (with the exception of some of the goblinoid races and half-elves) for good reason. It is highly implausible to assume that all races are cross fertile. Even if they are pregnacy should be very hard to achive in first place, the pregnancy may be haszadous, and the offspring will likely be sterile.