Laedon does Refinements 1.x

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:42 AM

You could make it so that you can't cast IA while wearing the Vecna, i believe... Not sure if the fact you can't change your armour while fighting makes this a good idea. You can always claim that there are "strange fluctuactions" in your magic aura, that makes IA fizzle.

If you mean Aura Cleansing instead of IA, it's indeed possible.
Worth debating.
Opinions?

I support the idea.

View Post

So do I. I never liked the fact that you can cast an unlimited number of spells with Aura Cleansing if you wear Robe of Vecna (and not only average spells, but also very powerful ones, like Finger of Death, Mordekainen Sword, Abi Dalzim or Incendiary Cloud).

#42 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:51 AM

OTOH... if someone casts AC, then simply equips the robe during a "pause" (e.g. reverses the two things), we have the very same problem... although one can say this is even more "intentional cheese" than using thes etwo bonuses together.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#43 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:07 AM

You cannot equip the robe while combat counter is greater than 0 (AKA if there are phisical attacks going on) OR there are enemies on-screen, so why is that a problem?
OK, Unless you do that to fool Firkraag or similar, but you can make it so that the robe will both make AC fizzle AND remove the effects of AC. How about that?

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#44 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:48 PM

Issue that really needs further debating.
If this ends in forcing a sorc to simply avoid the robe, then we did something wrong anyway.

@tb, why do you define yourself 2nd coder and writer, you did truly terrific pieces of code for Refinements already. :thumb:
Speaking about that, having a better WeiDU by now, we could include the formerly experimental Dynamic Weapon Proficiencies component directly in the first one, uhm?

Edited by Littiz, 12 December 2004 - 12:57 PM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#45 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

Issue that really needs further debating.
If this ends in forcing a sorc to simply avoid the robe, then we did something wrong anyway.

View Post

Probably something like starting this mess over, taking away IA & adding AC + those Spellcasting Speed Increases...
Still, it's possible to code AC so that a sorc wearing vecna fizzles AC without losing it (avoids scripts) or so that the speeding bonuses of Vecna are stopped during the AC (needs scripts though)

@tb, why do you define yourself 2nd coder and writer, you did truly terrific pieces of code for Refinements already. :thumb:
Speaking about that, having a better WeiDU by now, we could include the formerly experimental Dynamic Weapon Proficiencies component directly in the first one, uhm?

View Post

You know, I wrote 2000 lines out of 30000, I think :P ... And I worked on very few stuff up to now.
the DWP has never had any problems since I told you about those, on all of my 3 computers and with my monthly-or-less game rebuild :)

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#46 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:41 AM

I have a suggestion : what about making the Robe of Vecna totally unusable for sorcerers and adding 2 additional picks for Improved Spellcasting Speed to compensate ?

#47 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:59 AM

I have a suggestion : what about making the Robe of Vecna totally unusable for sorcerers

That's quite a suggestion, since sorcs can almost always use the same robes as mages...

#48 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:02 AM

You could always add a drawback to the Robe of Vecna, such as a Miscast chance (10% maybe). Apply it as an EFF using opcode #283 and it should bypass opcode immunity so it'll even affect sorcerors with Casting by Intent (or whatever it's called).

#49 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:01 AM

The best solution would be to modifiy the robe, so that it applies different bonuses for sorcerers and for mages. Sorcerers would get all the bonuses from this robe except the spellcasting speed increase (and perhaps an additional bonus, if needed), while mages would get all the benefits, including the SSI, as usual.

Is this implementable?
Posted Image

#50 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:13 PM

The best solution would be to modifiy the robe, so that it applies different bonuses for sorcerers and for mages. Sorcerers would get all the bonuses from this robe except the spellcasting speed increase (and perhaps an additional bonus, if needed), while mages would get all the benefits, including the SSI, as usual.

Is this implementable?

View Post

It seems like so at first glance, but sadly I cannot check if it does work until I get BG2 back.

#51 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:43 PM

This is an unbelievable amount of concernation over ONE game item. Is nobody out there willing to use a little self-restraint if the uber-speed offends their sensibilities?

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#52 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:54 PM

We at Refinements are masochists who want to impose our idea of game balance on others. If you want to police yourself, please go download valen and then SK the cheese out of her
;) ;) :D :P

Edited by the bigg, 16 December 2004 - 03:54 PM.

#53 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hardly loving cheese. The fact is that the robe of Vecna is a standard game item that doesn't become too unbalancing UNTIL refinements is installed. To me that points the finger of cheesey goodness at the mod. :fish:

#54 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:05 AM

A fair point Hlid, but since this is the REFINEMENTS forum, I guess it is understandable why we try to avoid nerfing OUR additions if possible... :P
Posted Image

#55 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:58 AM

A fair point Hlid, but since this is the REFINEMENTS forum, I guess it is understandable why we try to avoid nerfing OUR additions if possible... :P

View Post

And so Hlid's point was turned to dust... :devil:

#56 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

*Considers renaming the forum to "Fish" in order to resurrect his point.* :shifty:

#57 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:00 AM

BTW, TG, Littiz, Bigg, I placed a poll in BG forums about "if Robe of Vecna is overpowered". You should keep an eye on it.

#58 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:37 AM

Already voted.
Posted Image

#59 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:46 AM

Already voted.

View Post

I pointed to that thread, because I think you should take the results into consideration. You know we had some debates here about Robe of Vecna and sorcerers. :P

#60 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

The point is that Robe of Vecna gets extremely powerful only when used by a Sorcerer (with 3 points in Spellcasting Speed Increase).
Otherwise it is merely too easy to get and too early in the game.
Posted Image