• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 08:48 PM

Greetings all!

I'm a new poster at this forum, though I've been active at the Attic fanfiction forum for a long while. It is with great pleasure that I present you with a brief description of the upcoming Edwin Romance Mod, written by me and programmed by Dorotea, Lord E and Ophidia of the Attic. Like so many others I bemoaned the lack of alternative male NPC:s to romance, and Edwin has always been my favorite, so it was a very natural choice. :D

Brief summary of features:

Romance is available for all races, the lady will have to be Int 14 or more.
It extendes all the way through ToB.

Three brand new epilogues, PC as mortal, PC as goddess, and a non romance one. Also a new epilogue for Viconia, whom I think had a far too sad ending.

Lovely female pic of Edwina, and a brief romantic Edwina interaction for the male PC.

Voice acting for Edwin and certain other characters. (Dorotea does Edwin's mother beautifully. )

Optional alignment switch for Edwin, giving you two romances in one, much as for Viconia.

Lots of jealous banter with poor Anomen! :)

And a Romance to Shake the Realms. :) It is completely written already, and programming is well underway. I hope you will enjoy playing it as much as I did writing it. In the meantime, should you wish to check out an example of my writing, I'll insert a shameless plug for my own stories at the Attic at: The Attic where I am currently writing an extended version of the generic Edwin romance. :)

#2 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 01 January 2003 - 09:57 PM

Are you planning to revoice all of Edwin's dialogue? (my recommendation, rather than clashing, unless you've got one hell of a ringer.)

Also, are you going to link people to the Edwin prose on the Attic? Or make them dig if they want spoilers?

Also... a suggestion from what I remember from my readthrough months ago: your PC replies seem to be writing to a _very_ specific PC type. If that hasn't been expanded since then, you might go through and consider expanding reply options to cater to a wider range of personalities.

#3 Ophidia

Ophidia
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:14 AM

Are you planning to revoice all of Edwin's dialogue? (my recommendation, rather than clashing, unless you've got one hell of a ringer.)

Also, are you going to link people to the Edwin prose on the Attic? Or make them dig if they want spoilers?

Also... a suggestion from what I remember from my readthrough months ago: your PC replies seem to be writing to a _very_ specific PC type. If that hasn't been expanded since then, you might go through and consider expanding reply options to cater to a wider range of personalities.

Hello folks! I'm Ophidia, in charge of peripherals (graphics, sounds and music) for the mod.

How can I put this? Yes, we have 'one hell of a ringer' as you put it :). He's currently doing his voice acting recording, so we're keeping the current Edwin wavs, and adding our own, plus voice acting for Elvira and Dekaras, two other characters from the mod.
Ophidia Snaketongue,

Gasping Concubine and Mistress of Sound and Light (i.e. mod peripherals designer).

"If a tree falls in the forest, I'll kill the bastard what done it!" - Jaheira

"If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody care?" - Viconia

#4 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:00 AM

Yes, we will. And yes, we do. :)

If many people request spoilers, we might put up a link.

There are different options available. Good, evil, naughty, nice. And hopefully none of them bland or boring.

#5 Eocine

Eocine

Jinx

• 128 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 06:55 AM

The romance MUST leave room for Edwin to carry on his whoring, I cannot stress this strongly enough.
Every action has an equal and opposite inaction

I always find the "Great Outdoors" chaotic and Dirty. It needs a shaping will to slap the beasts into proper order.
Edwin BG2

I'm not a martyr, I'm not a prophet and I won't preach to you but here's a caution....

#6 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:02 AM

If people want to dig through the Old Attic, I suggest they get the Old Attic Database as it makes finding things a whole lot easier. It's just an Excel file with Author's name, date, thread title, and link to the archive. So if you know what author you're looking for you can find all the places s/he started a thread.

http://www.gamejag.c...ticDatabase.zip

#7 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:04 AM

The romance MUST leave room for Edwin to carry on his whoring, I cannot stress this strongly enough.

Eh? Why is that so important?

#8 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 08:40 AM

Sorry, no. I don't presume to speak for everybody of course, but personally I wouldn't want to romance anybody who fooled around with other ladies, and I couldn't write a realistic romance if he did that.

#9 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:21 AM

Sorry, no. I don't presume to speak for everybody of course, but personally I wouldn't want to romance anybody who fooled around with other ladies, and I couldn't write a realistic romance if he did that.

Mmmmph. I told myself last night I wasn't gonna do this. That lasted about 12 hours.

...if you don't... is it really Edwin? Which, incidentally, has been the thought plaguing me ever since I browsed through the prose on the Attic those months ago.

#10 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:34 AM

Mmmmph. I told myself last night I wasn't gonna do this. That lasted about 12 hours.

...if you don't... is it really Edwin? Which, incidentally, has been the thought plaguing me ever since I browsed through the prose on the Attic those months ago.

I believe so, yes. After all, none of the other romance protagonists remain static as they are when the game commences. They all change and develop in some way, some of them rather drastically, like Viconia's alignment change. People change, both in real life and in stories, and to me it makes perfect sense that Edwin would do so as well. Of course, every player will have to judge for him/herself whether they find this gradual process realistic or not. Not to worry though - I'm not about to turn him into Anomen 2. :P

#11 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:49 AM

Not to worry though - I'm not about to turn him into Anomen 2.   :P

Nooooo... that wasn't what I was saying...

(breaks other vow)

...but I'll put it this way: You've got a LOT of selling to do to convince me to buy "my diva." As a f'rinstance.

#12 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:37 AM

Yes, we will. And yes, we do. :)

Incidentally, Ophidia says he's not revoicing the existing stuff, you say he is. Who's right? :)

#13 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:43 AM

Not to worry though - I'm not about to turn him into Anomen 2.   :P

Nooooo... that wasn't what I was saying...

(breaks other vow)

...but I'll put it this way: You've got a LOT of selling to do to convince me to buy "my diva." As a f'rinstance.

That *would* take a great deal - but hopefully I'll be able to make you one of the number of readers who enjoyed 'my deva'. Or not. But remember, we are talking a very gradual process here.

Of course, there are no guarantees for anything. What you believe is plausible all depends on how you see the NPC:s to begin with, and we all see them differently. I'll be happy if the majority of the people who play the mod enjoy it, but I'm hardly vain enough to assume that everybody will share my views 100%. For instance, I don't doubt that many people consider the very idea of wanting to romance Edwin utterly ludicrous. Many things are in the eye of the beholder (And I don't mean Spec)

:)

It may also ease your mind that Dave Gaider posted replies on a couple of occasions, and seemed both to enjoy the storyline and think Edwin was well within character, and that was both before and after the romance had progressed to the deeper stage. So I don't think you need worry too much, there's a very real possibility that you may enjoy it. :)

#14 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:45 AM

Yes, we will. And yes, we do.  :)

Incidentally, Ophidia says he's not revoicing the existing stuff, you say he is. Who's right? :)

Sorry, I phrased myself badly perhaps. He's not revoicing the existing stuff, he's doing voice acting for the romance dialogues I've written. My fault. :)

#15 Homunculus

Homunculus
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:04 PM

I disagree with what JC wrote.

#16 Saru

Saru
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:20 PM

:huh:

Which part of what JC said? And why?

#17 Nyx

Nyx
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:34 PM

Just dropping in to say "Hi!" and "Great luck!" to the group of you. :)

(I'm just not even going to go there on the Edwin personality discussion. ;))

-Nyx
Parallel Journeys - Spy on Nyx the Writer.

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
-Vladimir Nabokov-

#18 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 08:31 PM

Just dropping in to say "Hi!" and "Great luck!" to the group of you. :)  

(I'm just not even going to go there on the Edwin personality discussion. ;))

Thank you very much! :)

When it comes to Edwin's personality - well, I have my opinion on what he's like, other people may have theirs, and if they strongly disagree with me there's not much to be done about that. Enough people like my version enough that I feel pretty much confident with it, and you can never count on pleasing everybody 100% anyway.

#19 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 09:04 PM

Well, I hope that means you agree with me in that Edwin is capable of real romance, and I hope you will like the mod when it's done. :)

#20 Ophidia

Ophidia
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 01:11 AM

I have to say that as a long-time Edwin fan, I think Laufey's representation of him is right on the nail. I read the romance ages ago, and liked it so much that I just had to offer to help! That's how I got involved in this mod.

As for Eddie continuing whoring, how much evidence is there for that in the game, really? Two references, if I am right: Gracie in the Sea's Bounty, and his comments if you pick him up in Throne of Bhaal ("And to think I had the wench bargained down to three gold for the night! Bah!"). There is plenty of other evidence that he chases anything in a skirt, I don't deny it, but considering how prone he is to exaggeration, how much of his supposed success rate do you actually believe? :D

I don't think any romance that is supposed to tug at the heart strings and have any depth to it could allow for him to be off every night getting God knows what diseases with God knows who! <_<
Ophidia Snaketongue,

Gasping Concubine and Mistress of Sound and Light (i.e. mod peripherals designer).

"If a tree falls in the forest, I'll kill the bastard what done it!" - Jaheira

"If a tree falls in the forest, does anybody care?" - Viconia