Praise

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:46 PM

**SPOILERS BELOW**

I just finished the Shadows Over Soubar portion of The Big Picture, and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed with SOS. I realize it has received its fair share of criticism, but I think this is because people don't appreciate the full scope of the mod. The mod is logical, thought-provoking, and (dare I say it) akin to what an RPG should be! The mod is not some brainless hack and slash mini-game. Although, hack and slash is fun when the mood is right. :)

How the PC rises through the ranks of the Soubar Militia is realistic. Training the Triel visitors in the Soubar Militia may seem tedious, but I think it is pragmatic. Clicking on each militia member and assigning them a task may seem frustrating, but that is what a captain would have to do! Not the clicking part, but delegating tasks. I actually felt like I was the captain! Imagination is a glorious thing.

The only downside to the mod, IMO, was the voice acting. None of the voice actors had any passion or spunk, but I can't fault CBisson for that. As a creator, when it comes to someone volunteering their voice, you take what you can get. I know CtB is better in this aspect. ;)

Overall, I say job well done, CB! You brought Baldur's Gate 2 back to its roots: roleplaying. That is why I purchased BG2 in the first place, to roleplay and have fun, and that is exactly what I received from Shadows Over Soubar.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#2 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:13 PM

I loved this mod, but Charlote has buggered dialog (she, for some reason, has the default multiplayer join/leave/hello there dialogs after she joins the party), and I found it impossible to complete the river quest.

With a little balancing and some bugfixes, this mod *could've* been ULTIMATE.

CtB is much better, but has a few niggling problems as well (*cough* XP-bug *cough*), but CBisson's mods are large, and compared to TDD, have few bugs.

*raises glass of apple cider

Here's to CBisson!