Levels in DA

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:03 AM

Would you prefer a high-level (as in IWD2, BG2:TOB and NWN with expansions) campaign or a low-level one, as in BG1 or ToEE ? Give reasons and also define what would you mean by high-level.

I would prefer a high level (your characters can go above level 15) because a low-level one would drastically limit your tactical options. I did not enjoy too much the spellcasters in BG1 because they had a thin range of spells.

#2 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:04 PM

I prefer mid-high levels (~15-20) because it just makes things like spellcasting and theiving more fun. Of course it will depend on how they decide to deal with levelling etc...
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#3 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:02 PM

I'd like the range of possibilities available in BG2, but without the over-powered-ness of everything.
So, BG1 but with more choice for everything.

Visit the IESDP

#4 Sovran

Sovran
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

Being epic-level has the unfortunate effect of shrinking other epic creatures. The challenge and danger just don't feel the same as when you were still seriously fighting for survival -- when something lurking in the shadows might very well be a threat to your survival.

A broad range of possibilities, and low enough levels for the perils to remain perilous, yes please. Demon hearts for breakfast, no thanks. (And despite the name of the game, I hope there'll be no dragonslaying before dinnertime.)

#5 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:07 AM

godlike power is the way to go. nothings is better as the feeling of becoming so much more than a human. :D
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#6 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:58 AM

godlike power is the way to go. nothings is better as the feeling of becoming so much more than a human. :D

View Post

Not quite sure if you're joking here :huh: ?ToB is perhaps the best example of this, but I don't think that roleplaying as a god or similarly powerful character is much fun. For a start, there is little chance of death, so there's not much fear of death. Just about any quest you get is beneath you, or if not, melodramatic.

In BG2, most fun is had before you hit level 20. After that, you are too powerful and you begin to munch everything. So the equivalent of level 25 would be a good cap, I think. Having overpowered characters is fun up to a point, but makes the game rather less interesting.

#7 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:03 AM

View Post

I think we have a lover of the level 50 pack. :D :P

#8 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:35 PM

wrooong. dont think in terms of d&d. this is not! d&d. godlike means you can kill a town but what stops the killing rabbit of burning hell to hit you in your face? godlike does not mean there arent any enemies who can stop you. :D its all about the implementation. ;)

what do you like more? lvl 1 to lvl 5 slight difference or lvl 1 to lvl 5 big difference?
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#9 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:40 PM

Thats a good point Schatten, I think I prefer a small difference between levels. More levelling is good because it is always cool to level up, and it allows for more full customisation of the character, but also going from a wimp with 10 health to a champion fighter with 150 in a short period of time is silly.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#10 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:50 AM

View Post

Not quite sure if you're joking here :huh: ?ToB is perhaps the best example of this, but I don't think that roleplaying as a god or similarly powerful character is much fun. For a start, there is little chance of death, so there's not much fear of death. Just about any quest you get is beneath you, or if not, melodramatic.

In BG2, most fun is had before you hit level 20. After that, you are too powerful and you begin to munch everything. So the equivalent of level 25 would be a good cap, I think. Having overpowered characters is fun up to a point, but makes the game rather less interesting.

View Post

We want to be half-gods and kill titans, astral dragons and avatars of gods ! :w00t:

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:01 AM

Start low, the mid and THEN uber godz l3v3lz! Yep.

#12 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:17 AM

I don't think the player should ever be able to reach "uber godz l3v3lz" - logically you should then be able to dominate the entire world, or in your battles with dragons or the avatars of gods, lay waste to it. That would be difficult to implement at best.

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:29 AM

Heh heh, I can see what ya mean. But in DA the main char will have more influence on others than, say, in Icewind Dale.

#14 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:42 PM

Heh heh, I can see what ya mean.  But in DA the main char will have more influence on others than, say, in Icewind Dale.

View Post

Yes, I certainly hope so. The higher the level, the higher the influence, and therefore the harder to implement, and the less believable.

#15 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:59 PM

Well perhaps something along the lines of a true reputation system, whereby people will actually say 'OMGOSH ITS <CHARNAME> <HE/SHE> SAVED THE PRINCESS' or 'OMGOSH THEY ASSASSINATED THE PRINCESS' (depending on roughly what youve done.) That would make those epic adventures all the more epic.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#16 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:05 PM

Well perhaps something along the lines of a true reputation system, whereby people will actually say 'OMGOSH ITS <CHARNAME> <HE/SHE> SAVED THE PRINCESS' or 'OMGOSH THEY ASSASSINATED THE PRINCESS' (depending on  roughly what youve done.) That would make those epic adventures all the more epic.

View Post

Yes, having commoners, and important characters, react to your reputation is a must ;)!

#17 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:36 AM

I don't think the player should ever be able to reach "uber godz l3v3lz" - logically you should then be able to dominate the entire world, or in your battles with dragons or the avatars of gods, lay waste to it. That would be difficult to implement at best.

View Post

Well, I'm subjective, because (at least when I play a game the second time) I like high-levels. But, if we talk about logic, the PC should stop leveling up around level 20, because there should be a limit which no adventurer, no matter how experienced he is, should be able to surpass. I mean, no human would ever be able, no matter how harder he trains himself, to lift 2000 pounds or run with 100 miles per hour.

#18 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:40 AM

Level 50 pack, anyone :rolleyes: ?

Quite right, a sensible cap should be in place that keeps the game fun (splurgy death) as well as challenging :).

#19 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:27 AM

you must at least lvl up every hour. and, please, stop swirling with level caps around. you cannot know what a power gap is between the levels in da. ;) you mean level 20 in power in a d&d game? yes, thats quite godly and i can life with that. :D

#20 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:36 AM

I'd hate to lose levelling up :closedeyes: .