loot system

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

Unfortunately that inventory system works only with pnp, not pc games.

#22 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

I think a more realistic inventory system would solve these problems. There is a real reason people dont carry around 4 or 5 sets of leather armour - its too heavy! limiting characters to a realistic inventory would force players to choose what to take with them. Gems would become useful for transporting large values without any bulk and characters would loot for gold and jewelry, not plate armour and two handed swords!

The_Swordalizer

View Post

Amen to that!
I think that a realistic inventory would force players to buy a carriage :) .

#23 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

That would certainly make the game a lot more challenging and realistic, but it gets back to the realism vs game debate... A lot of people wouldnt like it because it is much more fun to run out to some dungeon, kill everything and come back with a horse, 5 sets of full plate mail and 16 or so magic weapons stuffed into your pocket than it is to crawl back with a bag full of about 100g worth of gems.
Personally though, I think your suggestion would be a really cool addition.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#24 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:28 AM

I think the game could also be improved by making the magic weapons a bit more... magical! Magic items should be rare and valued treasures, not just "another +4 sword of dragonslaying, ho hum." By reducing the amount of magic items and limiting the treasure a character can carry you would get back to the "heroic fantasy" roots and away from the "inventory micromanagement and packrat" mentality that seems to infect modern RPG's.

Having certain items flagged as "bulky", with a character only allowed to carry one bulky item at a time (not including what he is equipped with) would cut down on the hoarding. I think some hoarding is fun, but when you spend more time managing your inventory than actually questing I think somethings wrong :)

Games like Half Life and Deus Ex are showing that the hallmarks of RPG's (character development, a strong story and realistic gameworld) can be applied without the typical trappings of AD&D style hit points and levels. Maybe a move away from inventory management would be a good thing.

The_Swordalizer

#25 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:32 AM

Well, to pick a nit, Deus Ex allowed you to carry a rocket launcher, flamethrower, sniper and bulletproof vest all at the same time, which isn't entirely realistic. But that's off topic. Anyhow, I agree that magical weapons should be rare and monsters should drop common weapons or crude weapons unless otherwise specified. Then there should be the different quality weapons, providing attack & damage bonuses, with different materials and qualities it would be more interesting. And perhaps the possibility for spellcasters to enchant a weapon, though it would take rare components for the spell.

#26 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

Well, to pick a nit, Deus Ex allowed you to carry a rocket launcher, flamethrower, sniper and bulletproof vest all at the same time, which isn't entirely realistic. But that's off topic. Anyhow, I agree that magical weapons should be rare and monsters should drop common weapons or crude weapons unless otherwise specified. Then there should be the different quality weapons, providing attack & damage bonuses, with different materials and qualities it would be more interesting. And perhaps the possibility for spellcasters to enchant a weapon, though it would take rare components for the spell.

View Post

Magical weapons WERE rare in BG1, its just in BG2/ToB when every other monster or guard carried a +4 ubersword of death.

And how is that different from any other FPS game?
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#27 Vita Muerte

Vita Muerte

BG2 Addict

• 80 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

I prefer a random looting system. Item randomness is one of the few things I liked about NWN.

I don't mind acquiring a magical weapon here and there, but I dislike being overpowered... it takes away challenge and makes the game rather boring. If I happen to pick up a lot of juiced up items, I keep one or two and sell the rest.

As far as making the inventory more realistic, I think it defeats the purpose of role-playing. That's what the bags of holding and such are for. After all this is a fantasy setting. ;)

#28 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:22 AM

One has to have a Bag of Holding to use it.
I think that it would be cool if there were more non-magical special weapons.
For example mastercrafted, poisoned, serrated, light, heavy etc.

#29 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:48 AM

Mastercrafted and others were used in Temple of Elemental Evil, it was fun to experiment with them and I'm sure it would work in DA too. Any RPG for that matter.

#30 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:20 AM

View Post

Magical weapons WERE rare in BG1, its just in BG2/ToB when every other monster or guard carried a +4 ubersword of death.

And how is that different from any other FPS game?

View Post

That's because the enemies in BG2 were uberpowerful as well. After all, the hoard of a dragon is bound to include some very powerful items, isn't it ? :D

#31 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

Having "special" weapons would only work if magical items were rare, otherwise you end up with the "there are 50 options but everyone only takes the same 1" problem. If all the weapons aren't roughly equal, or the powerful ones very difficult to acquire, everyone ends up picking the best one.

The_Swordalizer

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:34 AM

Ah, but let's assume that magical weapons are rare, and then there would be different grades of quality, and weight, ie. mastercrafted light mace & heavy mace. The mastercrafter would have decent dmg output and +1 attack bonus, heavy mace would do greater dmg, without the +1 bonus. Not all would take the same weap now.

#33 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:13 AM

Even if magical weapons wouldn't be rare, special weapons could be enchanted too.

Edited by Delight, 09 July 2005 - 03:14 AM.

#34 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:21 AM

But the rare ingredients would restrict mass use of enchant spells.

#35 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:06 AM

I like random determination of equipment/drops, except for special cases. Still, it should be setup to produce plausible results. Anything show on a character should be in it's invnetory as well.

As for invnetory, I think bulk points plus weigth would make it realistic/plausible enough. It's a major pain to carry around 20 pounds of foam peanuts (high bulk), or a bar of gold (high weight).