• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

If anyone is still hiding in here.... :P . I've gotten the two letters from Selence Hillstar's room in the Copper Coronet and travelled to Umar. Nothing happened. I checked Hlidskialf's walkthrough link to see what is supposed happen and discovered that arriving in Umar should trigger a cutscene or two. Can anyone shed any light on why it's not happening?

-Y-

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:06 PM

there have been a few reports of this in the BP forums, such as this - i have no idea why it happens, but it seems that AR4299 is either corrupted or absent. neither of the upload links in the thread i linked to work any more, so i'll upload the files here: this should solve the problem.

the file is listed as a .txt, but it's really a .zip: rename the extension after you've downloaded and unpack as normal into yr override folder.

Attached Files

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Seanas - it didn't work but it may have been part of the problem. I eventually ran it down to part of the the AR1100.bcs script never running. Here's the relevant code first:

IF
	PartyHasItem("CBLTCNT1") // Letter of Introduction
	PartyHasItem("CBLTCNT2") // Broken-Sealed Letter
//	!PartyHasItemIdentified("CBLTCNT2") // Broken-Sealed Letter
	Global("CbPlayerCanGoToSoubar","GLOBAL",0)
	Global("CbMayorAndRolfCutscene","AR1100",0)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("CbMayorAndRolfCutscene","AR1100",1)
  CreateCreatureOffScreen("CBUHCUT1",0) // No such index
END

Note the line I've commented out. The problem seems to be that the moment you pick up the second letter, it becomes identified even if you don't open it. Move your cursor over the top of the unopened letter and wait for the tooltip; it says "Broken-sealed letter" but investigating the cbltcnt2.itm file shows that the general (unidentified) text says "Sealed letter". Commenting out the identification line allows the cutscenes to start running.

I even tried picking up both letters and heading straight for Umar without looking at or reading either one; the script still failed to run. Yes, I do have the soubar_101 patch installed! - so I have no idea why this should be happening.

-Y-

#4 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

Damn! I never noticed I wasn't logged in.

-Y-

#5 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:22 PM

ha! i didn't even *think* you'd identified the letter! yes, the quest stops if you identify it: always safest to give it to a dumb fighter, rather than a clever bard to mind, just in case...

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#6 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:19 PM

ha! i didn't even *think* you'd identified the letter! yes, the quest stops if you identify it: always safest to give it to a dumb fighter, rather than a clever bard to mind, just in case...

View Post

Ah - b*ll*cks! :D :D I know what's done the damage: the G3Tweaks mod 'Identify Everything' option. Worth remembering that, I guess.....

-Y-

#7 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:47 PM

Hmm, sounds like you just found another mod that isn't compatible with BP! Anyway we could slide in a little script fix to allow for a "broken" sealed letter? I'm sure when CB built this, he never thought someone would come along with a mod that identified everything.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#8 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:07 AM

What about the idea of modifying the identified_description text to say that the scroll is now worthless because you opened it? Or that no one will want this scroll now that it has been opened?

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#9 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

It wouldn't have any effect because the script specifically looks for the letter not being identified (!PartyHasItemIdentified<object>).

However, I did create a patch as promised.

@Seanas

I posted your cutscene fix here too.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 30 December 2004 - 01:06 PM.

#10 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

It wouldn't have any effect because the script specifically looks for the letter not being identified (!PartyHasItemIdentified<object>).

However, I did create a patch as promised.

@Seanas

I posted your cutscene fix here too.

-Y-

#11 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

I am playing SoS for the first time and also had this problem. However, I fixed it by taking the letters out of the scroll case I had put them in. So, if you want to trigger the cutscene, don't put the letters in a scroll case...