Better Transition for BP-BGT-NeJ

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:24 AM

New release of SBT. Hopefully, this really fixes the Imoen bug which Dennis has reported still doesn't work. Readme:

I do need some testers for this, so if you could please help if you can that would be great. All you need is a savegame just before you finish TotSC.

NOTE: If you intend to keep this installed, do not install DSotSC over this, because errors will occur.

UPDATE: Readme and Link removed, New version below.

Edited by Ascension64, 14 January 2005 - 08:03 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#22 Dennis

Dennis
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:52 AM

Hello Ascension64;

Well, I downloaded, installed, and tested the SBT05 a few moments ago. I tried running through the transition in several slightly different configurations. It worked every time in that Imoen always came to let me out. A few things in the process seem a bit buggy, but I have no idea as to what is causing these events.

First, Jaheira is not in her cage. Opening the cage still triggers her dialogue prompt, but she is not actually inside of it. She is just to the right (from the perspective in which the scene is viewed). Not a serious bug, but it does seem a little odd.

Second, Minsc has something weird with his dialogue with my main character looping. We never quite get around to his joining up with my character. When he talks to my protaganist. If I talk to him with Imoen, he then joins up. Not a serious bug, but confusing. Once he joins he has three exclamations in rapid succession. Then he settles down.

Third, when I tried to do the transition with Viconia and Edwin in my party they disappeared with no dialogue when I went into the duchal palace. They did not show up in Chateau Irenicus. I don't mind that (I fully intended to kick them out before meeting Belt), but before when I went to see Belt with them they showed up in cages. So, I don't know what is supposed to happen, but the behaviour of the old transition (which was broken in that you couldn't keep on playing) is different from the new transition (which really does seem to work in the crucial respect that you can go on playing).

EDIT: Fourth, Imoen has the "magical weapon equipped" problem (easy enough to work around when you know what is happening), AND Imoen's Belt appears to be missing.

Thanks very much for the patch. It seems like a dramatic improvement in transitioning to me.

Dennis

PS: I think it might be nice if someone were to add a messenger in Ulgoth's Beard asking the character to go see Belt again, just so people who haven't read the forums would have an idea as to how to proceed. Not your department I know, I just mention it (the first time I played BGT I spent a fair while before deciding to visit Belt again).

Edited by Dennis, 14 January 2005 - 11:54 AM.

#23 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:03 PM

All party equipment is destroyed in the transition from Baldur's Gate to Shadows of Amn without compromising item checking

Hey, how 'bout pantaloons?!! :w00t:

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
----------------------------------------------
BP Animations Scheme

#24 Dennis

Dennis
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:29 PM

Hello King Diamond;

I meant all equipment upon the characters is destroyed. Certain items, if present on the characters, do get preserved and are found in the safe. These include the Golden Pantaloons, the Helm of Sarevok, and the Ring of Koveras.

Dennis

PS: Not sure it belongs here, because I am not sure it is an issue relating to the transition, but I'll mention it here and then start a seperate thread. I just got out of Chateau Irenicus and went to pick up Viconia. The Viconia I picked up is not the one I left behind in BG1 a very short time ago (the one I left behind had a couple of bonus stat points courtesy of Exnem potions; these stat points are now missing).

#25 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:02 PM

First, Jaheira is not in her cage.  Opening the cage still triggers her dialogue prompt, but she is not actually inside of it.  She is just to the right (from the perspective in which the scene is viewed).  Not a serious bug, but it does seem a little odd.

Very weird. I know the way in which all the NPCs face might be wrong at the moment, because I'm not very familiar with the 0-15 facing parameters in the script, but I'll endeavour to fix that soon. With Jaheira out of the cage, is she physically out of the cage, or is she a little misplaced? Are you able to post a cropped screenshot just this problem?

Second, Minsc has something weird with his dialogue with my main character looping.  We never quite get around to his joining up with my character.  When he talks to my protaganist.  If I talk to him with Imoen, he then joins up.  Not a serious bug, but confusing.  Once he joins he has three exclamations in rapid succession.  Then he settles down.

Do you have BG1NPCBGT installed? If so, I'll check compatibility with that. This does not seem to happen to me. Is the Minsc the one you had from BGI?

UPDATE: Not BG1NPCBGT. Can you detail this problem for me? I'll look into when I am back from vacation.

Third, when I tried to do the transition with Viconia and Edwin in my party they disappeared with no dialogue when I went into the duchal palace.  They did not show up in Chateau Irenicus.  I don't mind that (I fully intended to kick them out before meeting Belt), but before when I went to see Belt with them they showed up in cages.

No one except your protagonist should appear in cages unless you are playing a multiplayer game (I hope not!!). You will not take any joinable NPC into Chateau Irenicus (or you should not anyway). Can you describe what really happened with Viconia and Edwin? Did they just walk away?

Fourth, Imoen has the "magical weapon equipped" problem (easy enough to work around when you know what is happening), AND Imoen's Belt appears to be missing.

I get the Imoen Belt problem too, but shouldn't be there. Weird because Imoen's Belt gets equipped in the magical weapon slot?!?! I'll look into it. <_<

I think it might be nice if someone were to add a messenger in Ulgoth's Beard asking the character to go see Belt again, just so people who haven't read the forums would have an idea as to how to proceed.  Not your department I know, I just mention it (the first time I played BGT I spent a fair while before deciding to visit Belt again).

I might be able to do it, but I don't want to overwrite too many files in the override, that is why I am trying to avoid modifying too many files. I already took a gamble changing all the leaving dialogues, and thank heavens they worked!

UPDATE: On Imoen's Belt, this is what I found in IESDP

After testing I believe the Equip action is broken the above script does not work, I have also tried about 4 other scripts with no effect. I will test some more on this and post results if anyone else has more info please post.

UPDATE ON THE ACTION EQUIPITEM : It does work for weapons, you just need to have them in the quickslot to be equipped.

Does Imoen get her belt in the normal transition when she gets imported from BGI?

UPDATE2: Imoen should not get her belt when she gets imported from BGI in the normal transition. I have now fixed this error, and will come in release 06, out shortly. EquipItem only works for weapons. Since Imoen does not have any equipment except the belt anyway, I have given her a new script (which I put into the RACE script) that uses the function FillSlot(SLOT_BELT) to equip her belt. Then the script deactivates itself and removes it self from Imoen's RACE script, thus clearning itself up. Nifty? Hope it works for you as well. An alternative it to change AR0602.BCS the manual way.. If you know how to edit .BCS files, then replace the following line:

ActionOverride("Imoen2",EquipItem("imoenhp1")) // Imoen's Belt

with this one:

ActionOverride("Imoen2",FillSlot(SLOT_BELT))

That should fix the problem forever. If seanas gets back to me, I'll see if I can get this little tidbit into S&H patch 5.

Edited by Ascension64, 14 January 2005 - 08:23 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#26 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

I noticed that the original BP-BGT-NeJ has forgot to make Branwen leave. Does she make an appearance in BG2?

--------------
Retired Modder

#27 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

No

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#28 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

New version of SBT. Fixes Imoen belt bug and correctly sets the facing of imported NPCs. Link and readme removed, new version on page 2.

Edited by Ascension64, 25 January 2005 - 06:02 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#29 Dennis

Dennis
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:12 PM

Ascension64;

Well, it seems like in the time between your making post 25 and post 27 that you figured out / solved a number of things that you had asked about.

Jaheira is outside of her cage entirely. I would give you a screenshot, but it occurs to me that I don't know how to attach one to a post. However, Jaheira is clearly outside of her cage. I think maybe you have resolved this issue since you have made an adjustment to the facing of imported NPCs.

As far as the Minsc dialogues go, I do have BG1NPCBGT installed, but you seem to have ruled that out as a cause. Minsc's dialogue is broken up into multiple sequences, rather than occuring as a single interaction. Minsc repeats certain phrases in these parts; for example, "the bars, they bend ..." occurs at the end of the first sequence, and at the beginning of the second sequence. In conversation with the main character conversation with Minsc ends before the final line preceding joining. If I have Imoen talk to him the final line occurs and he joins.

EDIT: Just ran a test. The whole dialogue with Minsc runs the way it is supposed to if I have Imoen be the first one to talk with him. The problem seems to be something to do with the main character.

Viconia and Edwin walk away the moment I enter the Duchal palace and disappear. They certainly do not show up in cages (though they did before I installed SBT).

I guess you solved the Imoen's belt problem (I'll test out your solution later tonight).

Thanks for the work you are putting in on this. My appreciation of all modders is high, and your work is getting you put into that category even if you haven't yet done a really big mod.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis, 14 January 2005 - 10:18 PM.

#30 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:40 AM

Jaheira is outside of her cage entirely.  I would give you a screenshot, but it occurs to me that I don't know how to attach one to a post.  However, Jaheira is clearly outside of her cage.  I think maybe you have resolved this issue since you have made an adjustment to the facing of imported NPCs. 

Don't worry about this. Found the cause. Typo - if Jaheira is not imported and your protagonist is greater than level 11, then this line triggers:

CreateCreature("Jaheir12",[3989.2676],6) // Jaheira (3989)

The coordinates are typo-ed and should be this line (as per the other conditions)

CreateCreature("Jaheir12",[3898.2676],6) // Jaheira (3898)

This causes Jaheira to appear outside here cage. A BGT bug only and easily fixable.

As far as the Minsc dialogues go, I do have BG1NPCBGT installed, but you seem to have ruled that out as a cause.  Minsc's dialogue is broken up into multiple sequences, rather than occuring as a single interaction.  Minsc repeats certain phrases in these parts; for example, "the bars, they bend ..." occurs at the end of the first sequence, and at the beginning of the second sequence.  In conversation with the main character conversation with Minsc ends before the final line preceding joining.  If I have Imoen talk to him the final line occurs and he joins. 

EDIT: Just ran a test.  The whole dialogue with Minsc runs the way it is supposed to if I have Imoen be the first one to talk with him.  The problem seems to be something to do with the main character.

I need a little community help for this one, from people who know much about scripting. This is a BGT bug that involves Minsc's dialogue file MINSCA.DLG. After the first couple of lines there is a state that can have two responses depending on the following trigger:

IfValidForPartyDialog("Imoen2")

When this returns true, Imoen's dialogue fails to start breaking up Minsc's dialogue. When it returns false (meaning that the opposit function !IfValidForPartyDialog("Imoen2") returns true), Minsc's dialogue has no problems. This only happens when Imoen is imported into BG2 from BG1. I really am stumped on this one. Anyone has ideas?

Viconia and Edwin walk away the moment I enter the Duchal palace and disappear.  They certainly do not show up in cages (though they did before I installed SBT). 

Good. This is what is supposed to happen. If they show up in their cages, this can have dire consequences when you finally find Viconia and Edwin in Shadows of Amn.

Edited by Ascension64, 15 January 2005 - 07:45 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#31 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:44 AM

I need a little community help for this one, from people who know much about scripting. This is a BGT bug that involves Minsc's dialogue file MINSCA.DLG. After the first couple of lines there is a state that can have two responses depending on the following trigger:

IfValidForPartyDialog("Imoen2")

When this returns true, Imoen's dialogue fails to start breaking up Minsc's dialogue. When it returns false (meaning that the opposit function !IfValidForPartyDialog("Imoen2") returns true), Minsc's dialogue has no problems. This only happens when Imoen is imported into BG2 from BG1. I really am stumped on this one. Anyone has ideas?

if it's returning false correctly but not true, then either Immy isn't Imoen2 - although i notice from an earlier reply that you seem to have Immy = Imoen2 - or IfValidForPartyDialog is not working properly here.

i know that IsValidForPartyDialog is broken - possibly yr having similar problems (line of site stupidity, for example) with IfValid...

try using a different trigger - InParty("Imoen2") and/or Detect("Imoen2") - instead and see if it works.

Edited by seanas, 15 January 2005 - 08:45 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#32 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:09 PM

if it's returning false correctly but not true, then either Immy isn't Imoen2 - although i notice from an earlier reply that you seem to have Immy = Imoen2 - or IfValidForPartyDialog is not working properly here.

i know that IsValidForPartyDialog is broken - possibly yr having similar problems (line of site stupidity, for example) with IfValid...

I should clarify this for everyone. The dialogue works perfectly when Imoen is not imported from BG1. This means that there is no problem in MINSCA.DLG in referencing IMOENJ.DLG. There must be nothing wrong with these two because there are no problems. However, if Imoen IS imported from BG1 there is a problem. I think IfValidForPartyDialog works fine because changing the next dialog state in that particular response block to a state block contained in Minsc's own dialogue works correctly. Therefore, the imported Imoen must be the problem. It is not her script name because it is Imoen2.

try using a different trigger - InParty("Imoen2") and/or Detect("Imoen2") - instead and see if it works.

I don't have time to test till I am back from vacation, but theoretically, from the reasoning above, it should not remedy the problem.

--------------
Retired Modder

#33 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

A condition look for a particular person is looking for the "Death Variable" or "Death Name" of that CRE file. Once that condition is met, usually a dialog jumps to the next linked dialog. That dialog should have a dialog line that matches the true conditions looked for. Unless the first dialog is requesting a certain statement label in the other dialog.

So it is possible that Minsc's dialog points to a label in Imoen's dialog that isn't valid or doesn't meet the right conditions. I haven't gotten this far in my mod cleanups so I will see if I can setup the right conditions to transition early and see what the problem is.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#34 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

I haven't found a cause for the Minsc broken dialogue bug as of yet, but I can say it is an intermittent error.

Currently, the fix is as follows: if you get the bug, reload the autosave at the start of Irenicus' Dungeon, then REST. Then talk to Minsc again. Weird, but fixes it.

--------------
Retired Modder

#35 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:20 PM

Okay, I just took a quick look through the AR0602 script and there is nothing wrong with Imoen. The Imoen2.CRE actor is created to the area, it gets the new portraits, items are stripped from her and all the dialogs and scripts needed before joining are added to her.

Once she joins, her script swaps her dialog to IMOENJ which she then uses throughout the dungeon and NeJ. Therefore Minsc's dialog is pointing to the right dialog for her. Also, his dialog points to label 7 "Minsc, that is horrible!..." in her dialog. So that is correct.

The only thing that could be wrong at this point is the IfValidForDialog() which is a command I have found to be very flakey.

I use it in several places in Fabio's dialogs (in the BoneHill mod) and I had to go back and add a default dialog at the bottom of each set of IfValid blocks because they sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. The issue came up in the tavern that Fabio is in. The pillars in the room seem to trigger the condition as if the NPC can't see the person you want. The only way I get it to work everytime is to have that person go up and start the dialog with the NPC. If they are more than a few feet away, it is possible that the IfValid (IsValid has the same problem) won't work.

Just for kicks, change the condition to InParty() and see if that ways works. Then you just need to add a condition to make sure she is awake and not dead so the dialog makes since. IsValid is supposed to be a combination of checks to do the same thing.

Classic Adventures

#36 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

I have found a good fix! I'm still not sure of the problem and will require a bit of testing. Because in PDIALOG.2DA the join DLG is IMOEN2J, Imoen relies on IMOEN.BCS, in particular the block below, to set her dialogue to IMOENJ. I believe that the SetDialog() function can, but not always (since it is an intermittent bug), break interjections until a StartDialog() command is established. Thus, as a fix, I have currently modified the block below, to include the StartDialog() command. No dialogue actually starts because no conditions are met in IMOENJ, so there are no side effects so to speak.

IF
	Global("JonnyDialogSetImoen","GLOBAL",0)
	InParty(Myself)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("JonnyDialogSetImoen","GLOBAL",1)
  SetGlobalTimer("ImoenXPCheck","LOCALS",FOUR_ROUNDS)
  SetDialog("ImoenJ")
END

This is my modified block.
IF
	Global("JonnyDialogSetImoen","GLOBAL",0)
	InParty(Myself)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("JonnyDialogSetImoen","GLOBAL",1)
  SetGlobalTimer("ImoenXPCheck","LOCALS",FOUR_ROUNDS)
  SetDialog("ImoenJ")
  StartDialog("IMOENJ",Player1)
END

EDIT: Sorry, typo-ed the first block.

Edited by Ascension64, 15 January 2005 - 07:15 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#37 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

Okay, I'll bite. What is the difference? They look the same to me. Also, I have discovered the the 2DA file is not necessary. I built all of Fabio's dialogs and tested them before I even got to adding his line in the PDIALOG.2DA file. I suspect this is used for default settings if the NPC doesn't already have the proper dialogs set. For example, an NPC leaving the group but not setting the dialog to NameP.

As for StartDialog(), that command tries to run a dialog at that point in time. So it will run through Imoen's dialog looking for something valid to use. Once you finish that script block, it won't run again. By the way, if there is nothing there, this can trigger the "stutter bug" when repeated. Therefore, it should have no effect on your problem with Minsc and Imoen.

Classic Adventures

#38 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

As for StartDialog(), that command tries to run a dialog at that point in time.  So it will run through Imoen's dialog looking for something valid to use.  Once you finish that script block, it won't run again.  By the way, if there is nothing there, this can trigger the "stutter bug" when repeated.  Therefore, it should have no effect on your problem with Minsc and Imoen.

That's why it only runs once due to the global being set. It shouldn't have any effect, but it does fix it. How?

--------------
Retired Modder

#39 Milandir

Milandir
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:29 AM

Even though Ascension64 is on his - probably well-deserved - vacation at the moment, I see no reason why I should wait 'till he gets back to post this.

Made the transition, every party member leaves on his or her own will, my lead character goes to Belt by himself.
When SoA starts, everything goes perfectly, save for two issues:

- The NPC sound sets are the same from BG1, and, thusly, VERY annoying (especially Imoen's :) )

- Perhaps on a larger note, I can't save nor sleep. Tried ctrl-y-ing the npc's and reviving them (ctrl-r), but this has no effect, save for the parting of Imoen.

Any help would be most welcome :thumb:

Edit: When ctrl-y-ing my way through the dungeon (I know, :( :crying: ), I found that entering (and therefore, leaving) a party-required area resolves this problem.
However, since I could not save before entering the area, it saved over my first autosave... Am about to make the transition anew :)

Edit no. 2: When tinkering a bit with my party composition before making the transition again, I removed Khalid from my party (not much of a vindicator, if you ask me), and replaced him with Kivan. Kivan doesn't leave my party until I enter Belt's, oddly enough.

Howver, when starting BGII, I can sleep and save at will! Huzzah...

Edited by Milandir, 16 January 2005 - 05:56 AM.

#40 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:03 AM

Kivan is one of the NPCs that isn't supposed to leave until you get ready for the transition. Not sure what changes Ascension made but in the regular BGT, he is one of the people to leave when you talk to Belt for the last time. Normally, he moves to the Umar Hills region.

Imoen, if she was in the transition, will go through a change in the dungeon. That change will give her the new sounds and new portrait. If she isn't in the transition, she is supposed to just be the normal Imoen that is already in that area.

Classic Adventures