IWD1 final battle (spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

I was just wondering what other people thought of this... I found it pretty easy (Belhifet and a pair of Cornugons), though I had gone through HoW and TotL beforehand so that may help explain things... A couple of levels probably makes a lot of difference. ;)

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on the final battle? In particular, how do you think it could be improved?

I was thinking perhaps adding a few more Baatezu (and some more creatures on lower levels of the tower) may help.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#2 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:56 PM

I was just wondering what other people thought of this... I found it pretty easy (Belhifet and a pair of Cornugons), though I had gone through HoW and TotL beforehand so that may help explain things... A couple of levels probably makes a lot of difference. ;)

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on the final battle? In particular, how do you think it could be improved?

I was thinking perhaps adding a few more Baatezu (and some more creatures on lower levels of the tower) may help.

View Post

I'm confused. :huh:

Are you talking about the general end of IWDI, or the actual final battle with Belhifet and the 2 iron golems? (the cornugons threw me off)
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#3 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:18 AM

Indeed Andy, there are no Cornougons in the IWD final battle - there is Belhifet/Poquelin and his 2 Iron Golems. :huh:
Uhm, and I'd heavily suggest to play IWD in the following order to get the best experience and most balanced difficulty:
IWD main scenario ---> HoW ---> TotL.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#4 neriana

neriana
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:21 AM

I found it very difficult, but I didn't have either of the expansions (need to get those some day). All but two of my characters ended up very dead when I finally won it. So, if you do change it, perhaps the mod should check for character levels before generating more/nastier monsters.

Edited by neriana, 17 January 2005 - 12:23 AM.

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

No, I think the current setup is more than enough for the IWD final battle - if you reach there as expected (before playing HoW or TotL), you'll have a pretty hard time beating Belhifet, especially if you try to win the battle with every party member alive and breathing :) . Not to mention the fact that there aren't too many +3 weapons out there in IWD1 before that final battle... :devil:
Posted Image

#6 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:58 AM

Yeh, I probably meant Iron Golems. Had Cornugons on the brain.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#7 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:28 PM

I agree with T.G.

By the end of the battle, all my party members are dead except 1. (usually a dwarf)

I have to run around the whole time while I sneak in, try and slice him, then run away again. It's a grueling process.
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

#8 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:35 PM

No, I think the current setup is more than enough for the IWD final battle - if you reach there as expected (before playing HoW or TotL), you'll have a pretty hard time beating Belhifet, especially if you try to win the battle with every party member alive and breathing :) . Not to mention the fact that there aren't too many +3 weapons out there in IWD1 before that final battle... :devil:

View Post

I thought it was rather easy. I just buffed myself, ran in got hit with a disple, then drank 5 or 6 potions and cast a few more buffs then pounded Belhifet into the ground. I had heart of winter installed, but I didn't play through any of it before I killed Belhifet. I almost always solo games if possible, so my character (fighter/mage/cleric) was reasonably high level.

I've tried it without the expansion installed at all that makes it very hard solo, as a multi-classed char will top out around level 11.

I think it could be improved simply by making a "smarter" (not lamer) script for Behlifet and moving the battle outside where he could have some mobility.

#9 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:08 PM

I checked my game, and...

There were Iron Golems and Cornugons. The file was in the Override, too. So I am guessing that HoW or TotL or something modifies the finale?

#10 raptor

raptor
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 01:27 PM

Check what difficulty you run on. on easy -> medium you get iron golems and badass thingy. and on hard + very hard (or something) youalso get the 2 cornugons.

been a while since i played it so please excuse if i messed up something, but it should be dependent upon the difficulty level as you enter the place.

Also, a buddy in army completed last fight on normal once by casting *1* Chromatic Orb, killing the big bad wolf.

that got to have been the luckiest shot ever in history.

#11 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:30 AM

I thought it was rather easy. I just buffed myself, ran in got hit with a disple, then drank 5 or 6 potions and cast a few more buffs then pounded Belhifet into the ground. I had heart of winter installed, but I didn't play through any of it before I killed Belhifet. I almost always solo games if possible, so my character (fighter/mage/cleric) was reasonably high level.

Thats what I emntioned earlier - if you face him on high(er) levels, he is quite beatable. Yet, if you have a low level party, he can be a considerable threat with all of his immunities, resistances and spells. ;)
Posted Image

#12 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:43 AM

What did people think about the pre-final battle (when he is still Poquelin and summons animals)?

I thought it was easy, but I am not sure how I'd go about making it tougher.

#13 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:10 PM

Way too easy for me. Maybe adding some Poquelin disciples would help?

Edited by discharger12, 29 January 2005 - 12:11 PM.

#14 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

What would they be, though?

I don't think they'd be Ilmaterites, because when clearing the room before you free them from his illusions and control.

I don't think they'd be Baatezu because at that point you don't know what he is.

I think Undead would be more likely, but on the other hand that doesn't gel with the animals he sends against you.

#15 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:42 AM

Maybe give him some Iron Golems in his Poquelin-state battle, and then have Baatezu coming through the portal during the final battle.

Edited by SimDing0, 30 January 2005 - 03:16 AM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:33 AM

Sounds reasonable. What about adding some spirit animals? They are tougher etc. etc.

#17 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:20 AM

Sim: The portal gets sealed in the final battle, but I'd thought that a pair more Cornugons and some Lemures (if the anims are there) could maybe come through.

As for the Poquelin battle, yeh, Iron Golems could work.

#18 discharger12

discharger12

• 759 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:35 AM

Sounds reasonable. What about adding some spirit animals? They are tougher etc. etc.

View Post

Bleh... I had enough trouble with that stupid polar bear on that stupid zombie island. And that was AFTER the whole poquelin/belhifet battle.

My disciples idea was really for TRUE worshippers/students of poquelin. Ones that needed no mind tricking.

#19 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

Baatezu abilities are very similar to various wizard and priest spells. Poquelin could just be assumed to be pretending to cast spells while using an innate ability.

Assuming he is some kind of pit fiend or Baatezu noble, he could have pritty potent gating abilities, so bringing in cornugons for the last battle would be plausible.

#20 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:21 AM

Giving him casual gating abilities kinda destroys the signifiance of having the portal closed though.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods