Photo

Collecting the dead?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sovran

Sovran
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:27 AM

Yet another question about death, if I may: in the cities of Faerūn, does e.g. the church of Kelemvor see to collecting those who have died in the streets, and to the burial of those who cannot be identified? Or is the gruesome task assigned to civil servants / whatever is the local policy? (In particular, I?m wondering who this would be in the city of Baldur?s Gate.)

On a related note, would the Kelemvorites (or whoever) keep some sort of record of the unidentified ones (cf. the Dustmen in Sigil?)

#2 Torack

Torack
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:40 AM

We-ell according to Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, Kelemvor isn't worhipped in Baldur's Gate. At least, not en masse. So, IMHO the point is moot with regards to the city of Baldur's Gate.

With regards to the unnamed deaths in the streets, according to the the 3rd Edition Faiths and Pantheons, clergy of Kelemvor "settle the affairs of the dead." and they "consider all undead abominations".

As such, my interpretation would be that they indeed clean the streets of the deceased.

#3 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:11 AM

The clergy of Jergal record the names of those who have died. He's now only a demigod in the service of Kelemvor, so is probably to be found working alongside him a lot.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#4 Sovran

Sovran
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:30 PM

All right. So, if neither Kelemvor nor Jergal is a very prominent figure in Baldur's Gate, I guess I'll be safe with "whatever is the local policy". (Although I imagine that the undertakers, whoever they are, would be likely to pay homage to Kelemvor and/or Jergal, anyway?)

Thank you! :)

#5 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:37 PM

I don't recall anything in BG city that'd be for the dead, hmm... Though at a guess, yeh, I'd assume the clergy of Kelemvor or Jergal (or maybe even Myrkul, though he's dead) are there in the background.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"