Photo

Working! A few questions....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:25 PM

Found this guide on the site: http://arcanummagika.us/NWN/start.html and followed it step by step. (THANKS by the way to Tiggerlicker...great guide!).

Downloaded all required files fresh as of today.

Test server has NWN installed at C:\NeverwinterNights\...etc. I have used this as a player and to host regular modules I built using the out of the box NWN tools.

I installed all the stuff from the install guide above at C:\NWNServer.

Worked like a charm. Logged in (same machine....) with a couple different gamespy accounts, created a handful of characters, walked around a bunch. Things work, no crashes, but I see some weirdness and wanted to report what I see in case its important and/or to find solutions if there are problems that will surface later.

1. Saw this in the logs:
[Mon Mar 07 20:21:04] NWNx_FFSpeech.dll NOT LOADED !!

I did a search for that phrase here, and found an older post referring to possibly having the wrong rev of the module. The one I downloaded today was: "Horred_the_Plague1109193720000NordockCEPPRC_Plagued_Version_5.rar"

Should I care about this error?

2. [Mon Mar 07 20:35:26] SCRIPT >: <file:open 'LETOTEST' <qq:C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN/servervault/DrinBrannon/shangjora.bic>><FirstName> <LastName><file:close 'LETOTEST'>
[Mon Mar 07 20:35:26] SCRIPT <: <!--Line 1, pos 1: Failed to open file C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\servervault\DrinBrannon\shangjora.bic: The specified file could not be
.................[Mon Mar 07 20:38:20] Mindflayer Biologist Died

Shouldnt the path its trying to open from be C:\NWNServer\servervault\...etc since that's really where the *.bic files are? Did I miss a step or screw up something? Also who is the Mindflayer Biologist and why did he die??? ;)

3. Noticed this msg from the server with all the characters I create, when I log into the starting area:

Destination invalide!
Initialisation completed

(yes the non-standard spellings of the above words are exactly how they appear).

Any insights? Thanks, so far this has been less painful than I anticipated and the world seems to rock from the time I spent exploring (so far).

./Dingo

#2 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

Good to see my guide worked for someone :D

I too got the "NWNx_FFSpeech.dll NOT LOADED !!" error but from what I can tell it isn't used and isn't going to cause you any grief.

The LETO issue is being discussed here:
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=14233

The "Destination invalide! Initialisation completed" is something I've noticed too...looked to me like it was coming from the ff_on_cl_enter.nss script...doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay from what I can tell so for now I've just ignored it.

#3 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:18 PM

Good to see my guide worked for someone :D

I too got the "NWNx_FFSpeech.dll NOT LOADED !!" error but from what I can tell it isn't used and isn't going to cause you any grief.

The LETO issue is being discussed here:
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=14233

The "Destination invalide! Initialisation completed"  is something I've noticed too...looked to me like it was coming from the ff_on_cl_enter.nss script...doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay from what I can tell so for now I've just ignored it.

View Post

OK I just bopped over to that post...and, I'm probably ignorant, but this doesnt seem to be the same issue I am seeing...unless I am just not technically adept enough with this stuff to see that it is...the error msgs dont match.

Should I play around with the code as mentioned in the post or just ignore the problem? Like I said in my original post, I didnt see any bad behavior in the short time I had things running...

'Course, I have no clue what LETO is or why I need (or dont) need it :)

THANKS AGAIN!!

#4 -Guest_Leutian_*-

-Guest_Leutian_*-

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:33 PM

The "Destination invalide! Initialisation completed"  is something I've noticed too...looked to me like it was coming from the ff_on_cl_enter.nss script...doesn't seem to have any impact on gameplay from what I can tell so for now I've just ignored it.

this is more than likely a subrace issue unless horreds completely removed SEI subraces, as it may be looking for a starting destination after you leave the gateway etc for whatever race you are choosing and it may not exist in the SEI scripts yet and thats why it is showing as invalid... anyway its not major issue if it is this unless the its a subrace that has faction differences from the common PC faction for surfacers usually.

#5 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:37 PM

this is more than likely a subrace issue unless horreds completely removed SEI subraces, as it may be looking for a starting destination after you leave the gateway etc for whatever race you are choosing and it may not exist in the SEI scripts yet and thats why it is showing as invalid... anyway its not major issue if it is this unless the its a subrace that has faction differences from the common PC faction for surfacers usually.

View Post

Those msgs appear upon first entering the server (the starting area) with a brand new character, regardless of race BEFORE I even talk to the newbie shopkeeper. I made a couple humans, a halfling, a few elves, a drow and a dwarf. The dwarf and halfling ported to different starting areas that appeared to be correct for their race, all other characters ported to the main city (sorry, forget which one it is...the one w/the gold dragon in the ctr of town).

FYI...

#6 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:33 PM

1. Saw this in the logs:
[Mon Mar 07 20:21:04] NWNx_FFSpeech.dll NOT LOADED !!

View Post

Hi Dingo,

One solution to the NWNX_FFSpeech.dll problem is here in this thread...
http://www.shsforums...pic=14063&st=20

Hope that helps.
udoh :)

#7 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:35 AM

Udoh, that thread seems to be a huge one with all kinds of problems and solutions discussed...are you referring to your post there saying that you disabled a 1394 device and it all of a sudden started working?

Isn't that firewire? I do see a 1394 "net device" in my network connections, but ... I have an external fw disk so I am hesitant to just disable that.

MAJOR head scratch here wondering what in the world the presence of a firewire device would have to do with anything...

Feeling rather dim .... :online2long:

#8 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:00 AM

:excl:
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#9 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:23 AM

SimDing0,

What am I missing? That link you posted doesnt seem to have anything to do with my issues (yes its all about ME) ;)

./Dingo

#10 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:43 AM

...link?

#11 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:51 AM

...link?

View Post

Yes, sorry I guess that's your sig. There was no other message except the exclamation point, so I figured you were pointing me at a link...?

#12 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

Oh, no. But when dingos collide, strange things happen.

#13 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:23 AM

I can only imagine.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#14 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:40 AM

View Post

:lol:

Didnt even notice that was part of your name too...he he

#15 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

View Post

:lol:

Didnt even notice that was part of your name too...he he

View Post

Alrighty--see what happens when I wake up late? I'm posts behind.... :P

Destination invalide---this is a msg from Fast French's mod. It only happens the first time. The gme is looking for were to place you at (it remembers your location). Since you don't have one yet, it's an "invalide" entry (remember, Fast 'French'--he's not speaking English as a first language here).

The 1394 device, for me, was my Lucent Win Modem (56k, dialup). I deleted it from my network conections on control panel (since I use ADSL), and didn't get the message any more. Still don't know what the darn thing (speech) does....

The Marine (Mind Flayer, hehe) Biologist: you know, I'm still wondering about him. He just popped up recently, in downtown Benzor. Doesn't seem to last long, or ause anybody grief. I'll track him down soon enough.

LETO--this is used to allow for the PRC races and classes when you start. You can start off as a Rakshasa, a Mind Flayer, a LizardMan, a hobgoblin, you name it! You'll need this proggie in your game folder, and the nwnx_leto.dll plugin as well. Links are in the guide. LETO is a .bic (character) file editor--not just a Thin Lizzy song anymore. Are you even seeing the convo when you first log in? If you don't have both of the above, properly installed---my guess is no.

All in all, there are 10 different starting zones. Ten 'player factions' for these zones. Not every faction gets along very nicely. Mind Flayers and Elves, for example. Of course, they are miles apart, so without a lot of effort on the PC's part they will never meet. Look in the readme, at the crude chart, for a bit more specifics on this.

*Duck and hides from colliding Ding0's * :P

#16 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

When you ask "are you even seeing the convo when you first log in?" I have to say no, since I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about ;)

Seriously, it looks like a regular NWN clientside experience. Create new character, choose skills, give the char a look and a name and go into the mod.

The LETO the guide I used suggested was at http://nwvault.ign.c...705483880.shtml but in reading that pages comments, I see someone else saying that the "official" LETO version is at: http://nwvault.ign.c...132033931.shtml

Which should we be using?

THANKS!!
./Dingo

#17 Leutian Kane

Leutian Kane
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:02 PM

View Post

Those msgs appear upon first entering the server (the starting area) with a brand new character, regardless of race BEFORE I even talk to the newbie shopkeeper. I made a couple humans, a halfling, a few elves, a drow and a dwarf. The dwarf and halfling ported to different starting areas that appeared to be correct for their race, all other characters ported to the main city (sorry, forget which one it is...the one w/the gold dragon in the ctr of town).

FYI...

View Post

and as i said , unless horred has changed or gotten rid of the SEI scripts for subraces, this sounds like a subrace issue as subraces are initialized on mod load , and unless horred has changed this , drow are supposed to start in the underdark , not benzor , anyway without actually opening up and looking at his mod i couldnt tell you exactly what it is, but in my experience with the nordock mod i run, this is usually a subrace issue.

#18 GrapeApe

GrapeApe
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

Wow leutian, you really are irritatingly redundant.

Do you really need to post your comment 2-3 times per comment? Maybe you like to see your name and spew in lights?

You are reposting information you posted previously in the thread, and you quote it in your new post as well... :w00t: :w00t:

#19 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:20 PM

IT...IS...ALLLLIIIIIVVVE!!! (cue rain machine and lightning!)

Here's what I did...

I went in and uninstalled mysql, and removed everything from C:\NWServer.

I then repeated the process with my target directory as my default install directory (C:\Neverwinter Nights\NWN).

Also, I used the readme file from within the Module to go and re-download all the pieces, as some of the ones referenced in the readme were different versions from the ones referenced in Tiggerlickers' guide (at http://arcanummagika.us/NWN/start.html).

The only thing that biffed me was the readme says to go get mysql 4.1, which I did but when it started asking me all kinds of goofy questions after the install (some wizard auto configurator) I went back to mysql 4.0.23 as in Tiggerlicker's guide.

After I plugged in all the pieces as per the readme, I went back to Tigger's guide and followed the "how to configure" instructions for editing .ini files and whatnot.

Everything is working!

Thanks for the help guys...

./Dingo

#20 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

Wow leutian, you really are irritatingly redundant.

Do you really need to post your comment 2-3 times per comment?  Maybe you like to see your name and spew in lights?

You are reposting information you posted previously in the thread, and you quote it in your new post as well...    :w00t:  :w00t:

View Post

Nice to see I'm not the only one getting irritated by this. Especially when he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about (in this case, at the least), and has done absolutely NO research on the subject.

Glad to hear you got it working, dingosatemybaby. Play on, and enjoy.

Edited by horred the plague, 08 March 2005 - 06:21 PM.