Photo

Baldur's Gate III: The Bane of Bhaal

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:10 PM

I'm tired of waiting for BG III, so I thought maybe it's time to introduce an idea I have for it. It will be a 2 part mod. The first part will be an NPC for SOA/TOB that will introduce hints of what's to follow after TOB ends. Once TOB ends there will be a total conversion game that finally concludes the story of the Bhaal saga that actually began in the Time of Troubles. Its roots run much deeper than Candlekeep and Gorion's Ward.

The idea I have is entitled: Baldur's Gate III: The Bane of Bhaal. After the end of TOB, you'll create a new character who is thrown into a battle for Faerun that is being waged between Cyric, Kelemvor and Bane and potentially Gorion's Ward, the first PC.

The second part will be of the second PC and their experiences and quests that partially reveal who they are and why they are involved.

In the third part of the story, when characters are advanced enough:

The first PC can be picked up as a NPC to join in an effort to unravel the remaining mystery of the second PC and what role the second PC plays in the developing war between Cyric, Bane and Kelemvor if the first PC chose mortality.

The good and dark path can be a collaborative effort between the second PC and the first PC and up to four other NPCs or the second PC can go it alone with normal NPCs. Regardless if the first PC chose mortality or not, if they are of evil alignment you can pretty much expect you'll be betrayed as the intention of the first PC will be to either acquire more power and/or be in contention to become the true dark god. Hence, there will come a time the second PC will have to battle the first if the second PC's intent is to become a dark god or if the first PC was evil.

Personally, I always thought it would be interesting to take on whatever character I'd spent all that time building up. What might be even better is to have your party from the Bane of Bhaal take on the party you'd used in SOA/TOB.

Without giving away too much, there will be mystery as to who your character is, what role they play in the developing war, and what can eventually become of them. There will be new NPCs, new areas, new villages, cities, and new mysteries to explore.

The main story takes place in West Gate and the surrounding areas of the Dragon Coast.

All of this would, of course, require a lot of work, and I would need help...a lot of help. If you think this is a valid idea, and you've had experience in creating mods for SOA/TOB, I'd appreciate your help. I need help with everything, as this is too large of a project for one person.

At the very least, if you've read this post, let me know what you think of the idea. Granted, I haven't told a lot of it because I don't want to give away too much, but if you like what you've read let me know. Even if you don't like it, let me know why. Feedback is important.

Edited by baneofbhaal, 09 March 2005 - 05:31 PM.

#2 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:23 PM

I'm tired of waiting for BG III, so I thought maybe it's time to introduce an idea I have for it. It will be a 2 part mod. The first part will be an NPC for SOA/TOB that will introduce hints of what's to follow after TOB ends. Once TOB ends there will be a total conversion game that finally concludes the story of the Bhaal saga that actually began in the Time of Troubles. Its roots run much deeper than Candlekeep and Gorion's Ward.

The idea I have is entitled: Baldur's Gate III: The Bane of Bhaal. After the end of TOB, you'll create a new character who is thrown into a battle for Faerun that is being waged between Gorion's Ward (TOB will have to be edited so mortality is not an option), Cyric and Bane. Depending on the path taken the main character will have to eventually face first the minions of the three and then all three...hence, this one will take you from a 1st level character all the way through to becoming a god of gods...if you can make it.

I always thought it would be interesting to take on whatever character I'd spent all that time building up. What might be even better is to have your party from the Bane of Bhaal take on the party you'd used in SOA/TOB.

Without giving away too much, there will be mystery as to who your character is, what role they play in the developing war, and what can eventually become of them. There will be new NPCs, new areas, new villages, cities, and new mysteries to explore.

The main story takes place in West Gate and the surrounding areas of the Dragon Coast.

All of this would, of course, require a lot of work, and I would need help...a lot of help. If you think this is a valid idea, and you've had experience in creating mods for SOA/TOB, I'd appreciate your help. I need help with everything, as this is too large of a project for one person.

At the very least, if you've read this post, let me know what you think of the idea. Granted, I haven't told a lot of it because I don't want to give away too much, but if you like what you've read let me know. Even if you don't like it, let me know why. Feedback is important.

View Post

Its...big.
Really really big.
As in massive.
And would take ages. Lots and lots of ages. A TC is just gonna take the hugest amount of work. What ure proposing is just wow....
If u actually got enough experienced modders involved then maybe it would work. But i think tbh this is tooo big...
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#3 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:42 PM

Its...big.
Really really big.
As in massive.
And would take ages. Lots and lots of ages. A TC is just gonna take the hugest amount of work. What ure proposing is just wow....
If u actually got enough experienced modders involved then maybe it would work. But i think tbh this is tooo big...

View Post

It would be no small effort, that's true. But if development can get going concurrently...i.e., a few people working on the areas, a few people working on the characters, a few people working on the scripting, etc...it won't take too many ages.

#4 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:51 PM

It 'could' be done certainly. But what if I'd like my new PC to support the old one against Cyric and/or Bane? Seems like an awful lot of work just to set up an uber pit fight.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#5 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:02 PM

It 'could' be done certainly.  But what if I'd like my new PC to support the old one against Cyric and/or Bane?  Seems like an awful lot of work just to set up an uber pit fight.

View Post

This not just to set up an uber pit fight. The purpose behind this is to create an entirely new BG gaming experience based upon the Bhaal storyline but with a story and life of its own rather than create yet another NPC who adds a few new experiences to a storyline that's played over and over. The storyline, by the way, isn't complete. It started with the fall of Bhaal and Bane in the time of troubles. Cyric now holds most of the portfolios of evil with Bane re-acquiring some and the Bhaalspawn now holding some. The ultimate goal of all three is to become the one true god of murder, mayhem, etc. This storyline will address that, along with introducing a fourth faction (you, the main character) that could hold the key to becoming just that or destroying that.

#6 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

It 'could' be done certainly.  But what if I'd like my new PC to support the old one against Cyric and/or Bane?  Seems like an awful lot of work just to set up an uber pit fight.

View Post

This not just to set up an uber pit fight. The purpose behind this is to create an entirely new BG gaming experience based upon the Bhaal storyline but with a story and life of its own rather than create yet another NPC who adds a few new experiences to a storyline that's played over and over. The storyline, by the way, isn't complete. It started with the fall of Bhaal and Bane in the time of troubles. Cyric now holds most of the portfolios of evil with Bane re-acquiring some and the Bhaalspawn now holding some. The ultimate goal of all three is to become the one true god of murder, mayhem, etc. This storyline will address that, along with introducing a fourth faction (you, the main character) that could hold the key to becoming just that or destroying that.

View Post

Sorry, I knew I should've spelled my RP objection out better.

My point is that the, say, paladin PC whom I have played through BG1 and 2 would emphatically not have "the ultimate goal...to become the one true god of murder, mayhem, etc." And, although his fate is not spelled out at the end of ToB, it is very clearly implied that, whatever it is, it won't be just following in Bhaal's footprints. And it seems to me that your idea for BGIII would negate any effective choice between Good and Evil for the first PC. Whatever class/alignment/path was chosen, he/she will accomplish nothing except to create one more opponent for the "real" PC in BGIII.

Now there could easily be twists that might reconcile that. Cyric, for instance, may set the original PC/god up to be worshipped by a cult of assassins as the "son of Bhaal" thereby negating any chance for a good PC to gain a more congenial following. And the original PC/god, still Good but effectively helpless to change things right away, could be right ticked about the situation but would need the second PC to straighten things out. But that would call for cooperation between the old and new PCs which, apparently, you wouldn't allow. And it would make nonsense of the idea of any meaningful RP choice for either of them.

Edited by Hendryk, 09 March 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Ready. Fire. Aim.

#7 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:16 PM

Unfortunately, pretty much everyone who's both interested in and capable of modding is already doing so...

#8 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

What about Kelemvor? He's taken the portfolio of Death from Cyric now... :)

And yeh, as NiGHTMARE said it's an interesting idea but I don't think you'll be too successful finding help.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#9 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

Sorry, I knew I should've spelled my RP objection out better. 

My point is that the, say, paladin PC whom I have played through BG1 and 2 would emphatically not have "the ultimate goal...to become the one true god of murder, mayhem, etc."  And, although his fate is not spelled out at the end of ToB, it is very clearly implied that, whatever it is, it won't be just following in Bhaal's footprints.  And it seems to me that your idea for BGIII would negate any effective choice between Good and Evil for the first PC.  Whatever class/alignment/path was chosen, he/she will accomplish nothing except to create one more opponent for the "real" PC in BGIII. 

Now there could easily be twists that might reconcile that.  Cyric, for instance, may set the original PC/god up to be worshipped by a cult of assassins as the "son of Bhaal" thereby negating any chance for a good PC to gain a more congenial following.  And the original PC/god, still Good but effectively helpless to change things right away, could be right ticked about the situation but would need the second PC to straighten things out.  But that would call for cooperation between the old and new PCs which, apparently, you wouldn't allow.  And it would make nonsense of the idea of any meaningful RP choice for either of them.

View Post

Actually, that's a very good idea...calling for cooperation between the two depending upon the choices of the first PC and second PC. I like that.

#10 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:57 PM

One thing that should be noted is this: nothing is set in stone. I put this idea out there to get input/feedback from people, and to garner help in completing a new BG gaming experience with the idea of a new PC. I won't think of things others might, like what has been placed on here already; what are valid and very good ideas.

Think of this as an effective means of getting a storyline hammered out that will satisfy most. It won't all, nothing ever does, but if we can get something that is satisfying for most, it's well worth the effort I think.

#11 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:14 PM

I would love to see/p;lay this mod, but I think it is a bit much. A TON of work will need to be done and in the end, you will wind up doing almost all of it on your own. You should try a minor subquest first. That will give you a good feel for how complex modding is. If you do a mini-one and enjoy all the work, then I say go for it.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#12 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

I would love to see/p;lay this mod, but I think it is a bit much. A TON of work will need to be done and in the end, you will wind up doing almost all of it on your own. You should try a minor subquest first. That will give you a good feel for how complex modding is. If you do a mini-one and enjoy all the work, then I say go for it.

View Post

I'm in the process of doing the 1st part. I'm perfectly aware how much work this is, but if I can get several people involved the tasks of each will be lessened, and less time will be required to complete it. Hopefully I can get enough modders excited about the idea of doing something grand rather than something small like what's already out there. God knows, enough people are clamoring for something new from the BG realm. If the companies that be can but won't do it, why not the users if the capability to do it is?

#13 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:15 AM

Hopefully I can get enough modders excited about the idea of doing something grand rather than something small like what's already out there. 

View Post

Something small Like TDD, SoS, TS, CtB?? And how long will it take them to finnish 'Return to Windspear Mod'? I think they have been at it for over 2 years! How long will it take to finnish 'Lands of Intrigue"? Both mods I am very much looking forward to playing!

How many mods have you made? I think you should first finnish 1 small mod and get it published before strarting such a big one! Have you looked at ' Region of Terror (Drizzt Mod)', they can't even get it to install and work on another computer (well one guy did but)!

I love to play mods and would rather see 10 small mods working, than wait what 4 or 5 years to see this one! It sound like you have some very good Ideas, just think small and get a mod out in the next 30 or 60 days. Then you will see what it will take to make your big mod. Can't you wait that long to start your mod?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#14 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:34 AM

Just a thought. You seem to have a pretty developed idea of the rationale and story for the second PC. So why not make a post-ToB mod with the "second" PC in fact turning up as an NPC; an ally or enemy as per the original PC's choices? You'd lose the pleasure of confronting your original PC, of course, but you'd get your main story told without all the padding needing to work the second PC up to a reasonable level. This would also save on new areas (although you could certainly do some, set in Tethyr or unexpolored bits of Amn) since the original PC has roots on the Sword Coast and so might logically (whether mortal or ascended) decide to return there for at least some of the action.

And for people who think that re-used areas suck on principle: please note that re-used areas would be the same ones that you've already visited in BG1 or SoA. No one's asking you to pretend that an old area is a new place. And if the previous area suits the story as well or better than a new one could do, what's wrong with that?
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#15 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:46 AM

I'm in the process of doing the 1st part.  I'm perfectly aware how much work this is, but if I can get several people involved the tasks of each will be lessened, and less time will be required to complete it.  Hopefully I can get enough modders excited about the idea of doing something grand rather than something small like what's already out there.  God knows, enough people are clamoring for something new from the BG realm.  If the companies that be can but won't do it, why not the users if the capability to do it is?

From time to time, somebody will come along and say "well yeh, it's a lot of work, but if I can get a lot of interest then it won't be so bad". Unfortunately, over however many years, we've yet to see anything substantial come of any of this.

And how long will it take them to finnish  'Return to Windspear Mod'?

...however, I don't believe RtW is really a benchmark for the amount of time it takes to make a mod. :)
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#16 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:23 AM

Something small Like TDD, SoS, TS, CtB??  And how long will it take them to finnish  'Return to Windspear Mod'?  I think they have been at it for over 2 years!  How long will it take to finnish 'Lands of Intrigue"?  Both mods I am very much looking forward to playing!

How many mods have you made?  I think you should first finnish 1 small mod and get it published before strarting such a big one!  Have you looked at ' Region of Terror (Drizzt Mod)', they can't even get it to install and work on another computer (well one guy did but)!

I love to play mods and would rather see 10 small mods working, than wait what 4 or 5 years to see this one!  It sound like you have some very good Ideas, just think small and get a mod out in the next 30 or 60 days.  Then you will see what it will take to make your big mod.  Can't you wait that long to start your mod?

View Post

I've already started the smaller mod, and will have it done in the next 60 days. It's the first NPC for this story. I've done enough to know what I'm getting into. Though it won't get me through everything, my background as a software engineer tends to help.

#17 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:26 AM

Just a thought.  You seem to have a pretty developed idea of the rationale and story for the second PC.  So why not make a post-ToB mod with the "second" PC in fact turning up as an NPC; an ally or enemy as per the original PC's choices?  You'd lose the pleasure of confronting your original PC, of course, but you'd get your main story told without all the padding needing to work the second PC up to a reasonable level.  This would also save on new areas (although you could certainly do some, set in Tethyr or unexpolored bits of Amn) since the original PC has roots on the Sword Coast and so might logically (whether mortal or ascended) decide to return there for at least some of the action.

And for people who think that re-used areas suck on principle:  please note that re-used areas would be the same ones that you've already visited in BG1 or SoA.  No one's asking you to pretend that an old area is a new place.  And if the previous area suits the story as well or better than a new one could do, what's wrong with that?

View Post

That's not a bad thought, except using the second PC as a NPC and continuing with the first is not a new BG experience, just another mod for the first PC, and it wouldn't seem as personal to the player...discovering who a NPC is rather than who it is they've created.

The thought about no new areas is intriguing but I doubt it would work. There are certain characters and groups of characters in West Gate and other areas along the Dragon Coast on which this story depends.

#18 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:30 AM

From time to time, somebody will come along and say "well yeh, it's a lot of work, but if I can get a lot of interest then it won't be so bad". Unfortunately, over however many years, we've yet to see anything substantial come of any of this.

And how long will it take them to finnish  'Return to Windspear Mod'?

...however, I don't believe RtW is really a benchmark for the amount of time it takes to make a mod. :)

View Post

I know, and that sucks. Some of the larger mods that were supposed to be completed and weren't would have been great if they had been finished. I'm not, however, depending on the idea of others helping out to do this. I want help so it doesn't take as long, but even if I never get one person aiding me, I'm still doing it. I don't know about the passion or drive of others; I know only my own, and I never quit on anything, not even sometimes when I should.

Edited by baneofbhaal, 10 March 2005 - 06:34 AM.

#19 Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

I'm still doing it. I don't know about the passion or drive of others; I know only my own, and I never quit on anything, not even sometimes when I should.

View Post

He sounds promising.

However the mod's gonna take far to much time to make.
Thouse 3 parts, are they going to be relised like a series of 3 mods? That  would be a good idea because seeing the first part finnish will give you the strenght to go on.

#20 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:53 AM

He sounds promising.

However the mod's gonna take far to much time to make.
Thouse 3 parts, are they going to be relised like a series of 3 mods? That  would be a good idea because seeing the first part finnish will give you the strenght to go on.

View Post

The first release will be the NPC for SOA/TOB once I have the entire storyline completed, and a solid foundation from which to work and build. I'm anticipating the NPC release in 2 months.

After that:

Part I - A New Beginning
Part II - As Yet Untitled
Part III - The Gods War