Tehana: NPC for SOA/TOB

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

Posted Image

Meet Tehana. This is the intro for her, with charname's expected response. There will be other possible responses, of course, but for brevity I left those out.

Please tell me what you think of the dialogue.

---------------------------------

?You!?

?I would have words with you. I am Tehana, a wonderer who seeks your help and in return can help you. Do not turn from me before you hear my words for I can help you more than you can imagine.?

Charname: ?All right. What is it you want??

?I want a lot, but currently my wish is for you to help me find an artifact that is being held here within Amn.?

Charname: ?I see. And what do I get in return? Are you offering mere gold or something more??

A soft smile finds Tehana?s beautiful lips, and her eyes glimmer.

?The tithe I offer is something more: something much, much more. Before, however, you here my proposal you should know the tapestry draping behind it.

?In my land, some time ago, my family and I were visited by a woman named Melissan. Her mission has been to protect Bhaalspawn, like you. Don?t ask me how I know what you are; it isn?t that hard to tell for someone with eyes.

?She offered me a task in the city of Saradush so that I might aide her in her quest to help others of your kind. A great number of your blood has she brought there for protection from the rising paranoia of the public. Such is what she had explained to me and my family.

?My?husband,? as she speaks of him her face now turns a crimson red. ?Thought it best that I go there?for?for the reward she offered. At the time?? she exhales, pausing for a brief moment to wipe away a tear. ?I concurred. But I learned the truth behind everything.

?There are prophecies, Bhaalspawn, hidden prophecies of which few know that reveal who the next Lord of Murder truly is. These prophecies?they were revealed to me by an elder, an ancient who ignorantly invited me, the devil, to share his home so that I might have a roof over my head and food to eat. He did this freely; without requiring anything in return. I doubt you are of the same giving fold, which is why I?m willing to offer you something priceless.

?Only time will unravel the mystery regarding whether you are intelligent enough to accept.

?The prophecies the Elder showed me spoke of only one who bears the birthmark; ?tis a symbol of the powerful divinity that courses through their veins. I won?t?I can?t tell you that symbol, or who wears it. Nor can I speak the man?s name who gave his life up for me. Best to leave it that Gromnir saw to it that the Elder would never show the prophecies nor escape Saradush when I failed upon my promise to deliver him the parchment.

?Gromnir, the bastard was mad as a hatter, and is a fellow Bhaalspawn. He?he burned the elder when the elder would not give up his prophecies, burned him and all that the ancient possessed. I barely escaped with my life, and now I head home, home to care for my child, and to slay the man I?ve loved for many years. The artifact, the weapon you will help me obtain is like fire to the ice that has solidified within his cold heart.?

Charname: ?I see. You?ve a way with words, Tehana. May I ask what this weapon is you seek??

?Of course, you might, and I might reply it is the sword of Torm; that which fell Bane during the Time of Troubles. ?Tis a powerful sword, Bhaalspawn, and for this killing I?ll need a VERY powerful sword. I?ll need one whose blade is keen, one whose blade has been dipped in magic and wrought by the hand of a god..

?Prick your ears, Gorion?s Ward, for once you hear my proposal my words shall fall upon this matter no more. There will be no responses that pass my lips to queries regarding my husband or our offspring.

?I will help you for as long as you help me possess the artifact I seek. I am of no small ability, I assure you.

?Once that artifact is under the tight grip of my clenched hand, I will head to my home nestled in the arms of the Dragon Coast. I will leave you to your toils?toils through which I hope you succeed because the prophecies spoke of you, as well. You see, by the time the path you?ve chosen leads you to Saradush, you will be the last chance to stop the oncoming slaughter that is brewing there.

?In return for your troubles of aiding me, for this will be no easy task, I will offer you something that no other can. I will offer you what the prophecies spoke of you and Imoen. That information could later save both of your lives if not your immortal souls.

?But make no mistake, Bhaalspawn. Whatever shall transpire between us, should we become friends, should we become lovers and fall steadfast in love, I will be leaving come the time for me to do so.?

Edited by baneofbhaal, 11 March 2005 - 10:17 PM.

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:33 PM

Too dry.

Try "Alright, I'm listening"

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:44 PM

Too dry.

View Post

I think the Charname response is ok--there will be a variety of possibilities, won't there?

Tehana--that's a huge infodump she gives there.

Most people don't talk for quite that long without pause & it seems odd for her to bring up the possiblity of love so soon (We know that is often a mod possibility, why would Charname?).

Also, the screen at the bottom of the game is pretty small; I can't speak for everyone, but I find that much text annoying in that context.

Looks like an interesting character & quest though & TOB, especially, needs more of these!

Edited by Bookwyrme, 11 March 2005 - 11:45 PM.

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#4 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

Too dry.

View Post

Thanks for the tip.

#5 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

I think the Charname response is ok--there will be a variety of possibilities, won't there?

Tehana--that's a huge infodump she gives there.

Most people don't talk for quite that long without pause & it seems odd for her to bring up the possiblity of love so soon (We know that is often a mod possibility, why would Charname?).

Also, the screen at the bottom of the game is pretty small; I can't speak for everyone, but I find that much text annoying in that context.

Looks like an interesting character & quest though & TOB, especially,  needs more of these!

View Post

Very good point. I'll take your advice, and break the conversation apart so that all this is revealed a little at a time with more interjection from the charname.

#6 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:47 AM

It should be 'wanderer' in the opening line.

Also, where's that portrait from? It looks a bit like one of the NWN ones.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#7 Postosuchus

Postosuchus
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:00 AM

It should be 'wanderer' in the opening line.

Also, where's that portrait from? It looks a bit like one of the NWN ones.

View Post

The portrait is that of Sharwyn, the henchman bard in the original NWN.

#8 Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

View Post

Andyr knew who's portrait is that, he wanted to insinuete to baneofbhal he should change it.

#9 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:27 PM

View Post

Andyr knew who's portrait is that, he wanted to insinuete to baneofbhal he should change it.

View Post

Which I plan on doing once I get or make a custom portrait. I just provided that one because that is what I would like the custom to be modeled after, and I wished to provide a visual with the dialoge.

#10 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:38 AM

View Post

View Post

I didn't know it was Sharwyn's, I just thought I recognised it from somewhere. ;)

If it is an existing game NPC's then changing it would probably be a good plan though, else people may confuse the characters.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#11 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:23 PM

Looks good so far.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#12 baneofbhaal

baneofbhaal
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:34 PM

Looks good so far.

View Post

It could use some editing, and Hendryk from gibberlings3 gave me an awesome suggestion with a little better twist. It basically involves Jon Irenicus, that Tehana was his source of information for his knowledge of the Bhaal children, who they were, who the charname is more specifically, and he later cheated Tehana out of her end of the bargain. I thought it was an awesome suggestion seeing as how it was never explained how Irenicus knew so much.

His idea will enable me to hold off on the background information, and supply it in a series of conversations while still also providing a hook that will grab the PC's attention.

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this board and those on other boards for all their comments, both negative and positive. They've been a great help, and I look forward to more of them re what I've already posted and what I will post. Hopefully I can return the fruitful favors.