Photo

Documentation Project for Horred's Nordock

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

If anyone wants to join me in taking on the task of documenting this massive world Horred has given us, I'd be up for it.  Seems like a pretty daunting task to do alone though, and I am thinking at first it might just be a basic DM guide.

ie, a listing of areas, how they are knitted together via transitions, who the key NPCs and merchants are, quests, any special/hidden areas, etc.

4 people splitting up the documentation of the world into 125-150 areas each could probably bang out their individual notations in a couple weeks using a combo of poking around in the Toolset and the DM client.  I would obviously be one of those people putting my hand up to do that.  

Compiling into readable format might take a bit longer but I'll put my hand up for that as well.

I wouldnt attempt to *technically* document this, but I think a fairly usable DM guide is very doable.

Any takers PM me.

./Dingo

#2 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:49 AM

If anyone wants to join me in taking on the task of documenting this massive world Horred has given us, I'd be up for it.  Seems like a pretty daunting task to do alone though, and I am thinking at first it might just be a basic DM guide.

ie, a listing of areas, how they are knitted together via transitions, who the key NPCs and merchants are, quests, any special/hidden areas, etc.

4 people splitting up the documentation of the world into 125-150 areas each could probably bang out their individual notations in a couple weeks using a combo of poking around in the Toolset and the DM client.  I would obviously be one of those people putting my hand up to do that. 

Compiling into readable format might take a bit longer but I'll put my hand up for that as well.

I wouldnt attempt to *technically* document this, but I think a fairly usable DM guide is very doable.

Any takers PM me.

./Dingo

View Post

Wow. Zero responses!?! Oh well. :ermm:

How does everyone who hosts this world become familiar enough to DM it? Do you just create characters and explore as a player would, or use the DM Client or ..... ? :blink:

#3 muaddib

muaddib
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

Alittle of both....mostly i just play it to try to get an understanding of how it plays, then i use dm client and toolset to try and figure it out more....the shodow guild has me stummped right now....what the hell is this and is the DM supposed to give key to certain people or is it found?

Also with what time i have left, and my wife will allow :) i can try to help document this stuff as well.

Edited by muaddib, 22 March 2005 - 10:09 AM.

#4 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

Hi Dingo,

Sorry for not being to help. I just don't have the time, I learn by playing. I don't use a DM client very much in this MOD so far, only to fix a few little niggles.

udoh
:)

#5 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

I learn a module by looking at it in the toolset and the DM client at the same time (run NWN in a windowed mode).  That way I can see the world in the game and examine things closer in the toolset (and make changes if I need to) while I know where I'm at.

I'd help in documenting things but right now I've got my hands full with redocumenting the installation :)

After that I think I'll tackle a mapping session to see if I can get all of the areas into Visio and see if I can show the links between them in some fashion.

Edited by Tiggerlicker, 22 March 2005 - 11:39 AM.

#6 GrapeApe

GrapeApe
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

I learn a module by looking at it in the toolset and the DM client at the same time (run NWN in a windowed mode).  That way I can see the world in the game and examine things closer in the toolset (and make changes if I need to) while I know where I'm at.

I'd help in documenting things but right now I've got my hands full with redocumenting the installation :)

After that I think I'll tackle a mapping session to see if I can get all of the areas into Visio and see if I can show the links between them in some fashion.

View Post

There is a utility that creates PNG type images out of all the maps in a module. Might speed your process up if you find and use it first. Sorry, can't remember what it's called, found it googling.

We found andoffered links to our players to some dated info from Richterm's Nordock: http://nwn.brytesun....wtopic.php?t=12

Note the last post by Shindar with links to maps and info on Nordock zones.

GrapeApe

Edited by GrapeApe, 22 March 2005 - 01:48 PM.

#7 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:53 PM

There is a utility that creates PNG type images out of all the maps in a module.  Might speed your process up if you find and use it first.  Sorry, can't remember what it's called, found it googling.

View Post

I did an export a few minutes ago...used Souricette's NWN Tool 2.0.1 (http://nwvault.ign.c...790202000.shtml) to do a minimap export...works great to dump the minimaps out as BMP files (then I used ACDSee to batch convert the BMP to JPGs) and it gives a TXT file with the area names and what they show up in the game as:

ancientgraveyard: Kabu - Ancient Graveyard
anthillbearcave: Sands of Solaria - Cave of Ursa
anthillsidecave: Sands of Solaria - Construction Zone
area001: Benzor Tradeskills Workshop Level 2
area002: Trommel Mine Entrance
area003: South Brosna
area004: Miner's Rest

Now I just have to drop them all into Visio and go through each area to see where things lead :)

#8 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

Alittle of both....mostly i just play it to try to get an understanding of how it plays, then i use dm client and toolset to try and figure it out more....the shodow guild has me stummped right now....what the hell is this and is the DM supposed to give key to certain people or is it found?

Also with what time i have left, and my wife will allow :) i can try to help document this stuff as well.

View Post

SPOILERS

You complete the quest for the thief in West Benzor Slums (only a thief can do this--anyone else going in there will be attacked). You are given of membership. The Bard in theSalty Dog will recognize a fellow guild member with the ring, and gives you the key to the Guildhall.

Hey, don't ask me---I found it like this in Nordock's. I suppose it could be redone to work a little better. Afterall, your guild master could be toasted by the first paladin who stumbles along and manages to survive the traps.

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

There is a utility that creates PNG type images out of all the maps in a module.  Might speed your process up if you find and use it first.  Sorry, can't remember what it's called, found it googling.

View Post

I did an export a few minutes ago...used Souricette's NWN Tool 2.0.1 (http://nwvault.ign.c...790202000.shtml) to do a minimap export...works great to dump the minimaps out as BMP files (then I used ACDSee to batch convert the BMP to JPGs) and it gives a TXT file with the area names and what they show up in the game as:

Now I just have to drop them all into Visio and go through each area to see where things lead :)

View Post

Nice....got my osx box chugging away at this now...

THANKS

#10 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:40 PM

View Post

View Post

Nice....got my osx box chugging away at this now...

THANKS

View Post

^^^ that was me, duh.
:whistling: