• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:14 AM

So, who is Chrysta? Read on for a brief intro to an NPC that I hope will offer something different to the mod NPC scene, and hopefully will be up the the same standard of quality as most of the other excellent efforts already out there (jeez you guys have all set the bar high while I have been away! Posted Image )

Introduction: Chrysta is a new, romanceable NPC who will hopefully introduce something fresh and new to the mod NPC scene. Although designed as a new NPC to romance, the main focus of the mod is to see how people react to an individual whose development and fate is quite literally in the hands of the PC - and not just as a Child of Bhaal. Chrysta starts knowing little of herself and her past, and it is up to the PC to help and guide (or hinder and corrupt) her on her journey of self discovery. Helping Chrysta to become all she can be will be a path open to the PC whether or not she is being romanced.

Appearance: At first appearance, Chrysta has the form and shape of a rather small, young female Elf. Completely hairless to the point of being totally bald, her skin is a pale green in colour and almost scaly in appearance - rather like the surface of a leaf. Check out the pic below (which is the one I use for my avatar) for a rough indication of how I imagine she might look (a version of this might end up as her portrait after suitable "Baldurisation", but that is for future discussion and debate):

Posted Image

The above portrayed was kindly produced by Muse of the Sol Ek Sa group.

Background: When first met outside Irenicus's dungeon as another apparent escapee from the wreckage of the dungeon, it soon becomes apparent that she is one of Jon Irenicus's "clone" attempts, and although Elven blood clearly runs in her veins she is clearly not a pure blood member of any species on Faerun. No one knows anything more about her to begin with... least of all Chrysta. Her thieving abilities and innate ability to cast certain druidic spells hint at elements of her background before Irenicus took her and altered her, and her prowess at skills normally restricted to the assassin sub-class hints that some of that background may be very dark indeed. Her memory of her time in Irenicus's hands is patchy at best - all she claims to know is that she witnessed some of his experiments on <CHARNAME>, and as a result she sees him/her as her best chance of finding more about herself. Of her time before she fell into the hands of the evil fallen mage, she claims to remember nothing...

Game Implementation: I know that due to hard coding restrictions a straight Druid/Thief multiclass combo isn?t possible. Therefore, Chrysta will be a hopefully innovative combination of an Assassin-kit thief and Druid. I plan on doing this by having her as an assassin who gains certain druidic spells (with the PC having a limited choice as to which she gains) and abilities (e.g. shapechange) as special abilities on level-up. She will have certain innate abilities and restrictions as a unique creature (e.g. susceptibility to fire and other disabilities to offset her being an assassin with druid spells - I hate overpowered NPCs who make the game too easy), and will have the avatar and paperdoll of a greenskinned, bald Elf woman.

Proposed Starting Stats: STR 12, CON 8, DEX 17, INT 11, WIS 14, CHA 15
Alignment: True Neutral
Race: Elf(-ish)
Class: Assassin (Thief) with innate Druidic Special Abilities

In terms of dialogue and scripting, I want Chrysta?s development and ultimate fate to be a direct result of the intervention of the player ? she comes across as a somewhat troubled and fragile individual, but whether this is a true reflection of how her personality was scarred as a direct result of Irenicus's tampering, or a clever ruse to ilicit sympathy from <CHARNAME>, will only become apparent as the game progresses.

As stated above, I do intend to make Chrysta a ?Romanceable? NPC for male PCs of any race (she is susceptible to influence, after all), and also give her lots of dialogue and banter. She will also have her own set of subquests ? many of which will be involved with discovering who she is and where she came from.

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 04 May 2012 - 03:57 PM.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:43 AM

If she is a clone created by Irenicus, why does she have such a high wisdom ? :huh:

#3 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 03:55 AM

If she is a clone created by Irenicus, why does she have such a high wisdom ?  :huh:

View Post

Good question... one of the components of Wisdom is intuition. While Chrysta does not have a "worldly wisdom" gained by experience, she still has a very strong subconscious intuition as a result of who/what she was before Irenicus got his hands on her.

(WARNING: The rest of this answer might be considered slightly spoilery)

She is technically a "clone" in terms of having been created and warped to her current form by Irenicus's experiments, but she was not in fact grown from scratch like the other clones...

Basically, the untapped spirit that lies hidden beneath her clone facade more than makes up for what she lacks in knowledge and experience. Irenicus may have created her in the form she is when she meets <CHARNAME>, but a key question remains concerning who or what he created her from?... ;)

There are other factors, but none that I could share without spoiling some juicy details :D

(end of spoilery bit)

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 18 March 2005 - 04:02 AM.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#4 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:05 AM

Looks like a female Gandhi taking a dip in the Ganges.

#5 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:36 AM

Looks like a female Gandhi taking a dip in the Ganges.

View Post

hehe... nice description. :w00t:

#6 Blekfis

Blekfis
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

Do you have a bigger portrait of her?

#7 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:38 AM

Do you have a bigger portrait of her?

View Post

I used to... on my old PC. I also lost the link to it when the old Chrysta forum disappeared. :(

I have made a request on the "Sol Ek Sa" forum to see if anyone has a bigger version of the portrait or knows of a link to it, but if anyone reading this can help out that would be great. :thumb:

I haven't decided on that as the final portrait anyway - but it is the one that best fits my image of Chrysta at the moment (at least until someone comes along with a better suggestion).

Edit: I managed to boost the size of the image a little without it getting too pixelated, if that helps. Still need a copy/link to the original one, though.

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 18 March 2005 - 07:43 AM.

#8 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:51 AM

If you're still searching for a portrait, I'd recommend one that fits the BG style better than your current avatar. :)

You might want to delve through the various official and fan-made NWN portraits and see if there is anything suitable for a base there, as lots of them are a similar style.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#9 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:31 AM

This will most definitely be a cool mod.

(P.S. Yes! Now I'm on forgottenwars as well! beware my rubber ducky!)

#10 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:53 AM

This will most definitely be a cool mod.

(P.S. Yes! Now I'm on forgottenwars as well! beware my rubber ducky!)

View Post

The only good rubber ducky is a dead rubber ducky... :angry:

Posted Image

Awww... sowwy! :hug:

#11 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

hmph. Y'know, that's not very nice...
ah, one cannot stay mad for long. It's bad for the duck (don't ask why...).

#12 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:50 AM

hmph. Y'know, that's not very nice...
ah, one cannot stay mad for long. It's bad for the duck (don't ask why...).

View Post

You don't have the monopoly on evil-looking rubber duckies, ya know :devil:

Posted Image

#13 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

eep! this is the sort of attitude that made me change to stating random facts about the Leaning Tower of Pisa! I think people like to mess with other peoples' minds...

YES! something that REALLY cracked me up, from neomonsterisland.com (pardon me if anyone thinks it's promoting drugs or anything like that):
Posted Image

Edited by Togashi Renshi, 25 March 2005 - 09:32 PM.

#14 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

In terms of dialogue and scripting, I want Chrysta’s development and ultimate fate to be a direct result of the intervention of the player – she comes across as a somewhat troubled and fragile individual, but whether this is a true reflection of how her personality was scarred as a direct result of Irenicus's tampering, or a clever ruse to ilicit sympathy from <CHARNAME>, will only become apparent as the game progresses.

Sir K, that remins me a little bit of the Pygmalion myth...

#15 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

So does that mean you can imagine Chrysta as "Your Fair Lady?" :^^:

#16 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:02 AM

So does that mean you can imagine Chrysta as "Your Fair Lady?" :^^:

View Post

Well, the position is taken. I bet you know by who... :P

#17 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:34 AM

Well, the position is taken. I bet you know by who...  :P

Yup, although I am surprised that you don't mind your "thing" for Aunt Delcia De'Arnise being made public knowledge, Feanor. :w00t:

#18 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

Well, the position is taken. I bet you know by who...  :P

Yup, although I am surprised that you don't mind your "thing" for Aunt Delcia De'Arnise being made public knowledge, Feanor. :w00t:

View Post

Feanor tosses Sir K into the lion pit and enjoys the view. :devil:

#19 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:42 AM

She is technically a "clone" in terms of having been created and warped to her current form by Irenicus's experiments,

Did Irenicus give her steroids ? :D

#20 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:46 AM

Did Irenicus give her steroids ?  :D

No... he is such a pain in the ass he gave her haemorrhoids instead. :devil: