Photo

BGII:SOA Familiar Mod

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Azurath

Azurath
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:21 PM

I have noticed that in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, your familiar does not improve as your character does.  Instead it remains the same mediocre little pesk, following you around while waiting to die and cost you a valuable point of constitution.  I have tried the various familiars, and have found that, while they will work acceptably in the VERY early stages of the game, later on they are merely a hindrance and burden, constantly needing healing, while adding almost nothing to the party.  I was wondering if perhaps someone might care to look into this, and work on a mod to improve familiars and have them improve along with the character, perhaps including some changes based on wizard specialization/multiclass.  This would be greatly appreciated, as I feel that it is an area that was rather neglected and could have been greatly improved upon.  I would prefer something that works either with or without the Throne of Bhaal expansion, as not everyone (ie, me) has the expansion.  If such a mod already exists, please tell me where I can find it.

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:21 PM

You should look here for a mod that might or might not be dead.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:28 AM

That's the familiar flirt/chat/banter pack at Ashford City. I don't know if it actually *improves* the familiar's powers....

#4 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

True, but they might work with someone to add it to their mod as a optional componate. If they are still working on it. -_-

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5 -Aegnor-

-Aegnor-

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:51 AM

I have noticed that in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, your familiar does not improve as your character does.  Instead it remains the same mediocre little pesk, following you around while waiting to die and cost you a valuable point of constitution.  I have tried the various familiars, and have found that, while they will work acceptably in the VERY early stages of the game, later on they are merely a hindrance and burden, constantly needing healing, while adding almost nothing to the party.  I was wondering if perhaps someone might care to look into this, and work on a mod to improve familiars and have them improve along with the character, perhaps including some changes based on wizard specialization/multiclass.  This would be greatly appreciated, as I feel that it is an area that was rather neglected and could have been greatly improved upon.  I would prefer something that works either with or without the Throne of Bhaal expansion, as not everyone (ie, me) has the expansion.  If such a mod already exists, please tell me where I can find it.

View Post

It's already being done.. :D by me..
Already made a leveling-up script.. where your familiars gain powers each time you level up.. It's general leveling-up for now.. will make specific soon...
Haveing them leveling up based on wizard specialization/multiclass was a new take on it, we'll see what I will do with it...

Other features:
- The choice of familiar is now selected by PC, still based on alignment.
- Adds new familiars. (Rat, Bat, Wolf, Baby Wyvern, Spider, Squirrel)
- Restricts familiars to mages and mage multiclasses (UAI won't work) :P
- Removes the dialog option to put your familiar in your pack.
- No con loss or hp bonus... :P
- When not in combat you will have no control over the familiar.

Being done:
- Tweaking of the new familiars
- adds banthers/interjects and quests

#6 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:30 AM

I have noticed that in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, your familiar does not improve as your character does.  Instead it remains the same mediocre little pesk, following you around while waiting to die and cost you a valuable point of constitution.  I have tried the various familiars, and have found that, while they will work acceptably in the VERY early stages of the game, later on they are merely a hindrance and burden, constantly needing healing, while adding almost nothing to the party.  I was wondering if perhaps someone might care to look into this, and work on a mod to improve familiars and have them improve along with the character, perhaps including some changes based on wizard specialization/multiclass.  This would be greatly appreciated, as I feel that it is an area that was rather neglected and could have been greatly improved upon.  I would prefer something that works either with or without the Throne of Bhaal expansion, as not everyone (ie, me) has the expansion.  If such a mod already exists, please tell me where I can find it.

View Post

It's already being done.. :D by me..
Already made a leveling-up script.. where your familiars gain powers each time you level up.. It's general leveling-up for now.. will make specific soon...
Haveing them leveling up based on wizard specialization/multiclass was a new take on it, we'll see what I will do with it...

Other features:
- The choice of familiar is now selected by PC, still based on alignment.
- Adds new familiars. (Rat, Bat, Wolf, Baby Wyvern, Spider, Squirrel)
- Restricts familiars to mages and mage multiclasses (UAI won't work) :P
- No con loss or hp bonus... :P
- When not in combat you will have no control over the familiar.

Being done:
- Tweaking of the new familiars
- adds banthers/interjects and quests

View Post

Have u actually released this yet, or is there an alpha/beta version available?
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#7 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:09 AM

Nice! :D And when it's released, will it be a WeiDU mod? I hope so. ^_^

#8 -Aegnor-

-Aegnor-

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:35 AM

Hmmm... Not released yet...
I'm in school now... so I can't release an alpha yet...
And I got no internet connection at home...

I'll see if I can make it ready for an alpha release tomorrow.. <_<
ToB is required, but I will see what I can do about that in time aswell.. :devil:
(and yes it's weidu packaged :hug: )

#9 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:39 AM

Just became a member... :thumbsup:

#10 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:55 PM

Mwahaha..
Looks like it won't be released today.. can't attatch .zip files. :angry:
And the mod is in such an early state that it would discourage people from using it if they played it , to buggy and to few features done.. :^^:

But don't despair, work is being done..

#11 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

- No con loss or hp bonus...

Why? These were one of the useful and more interesting effects of the unmodded version. Removing these would reduce the effectiveness of theese familiars. Especially if you don't make them summonable at will (like in NWN), since they would definitely perish in a tougher battle.

Also, keeping them (both the older and new ones) balanced is essential here - while they level up, they must remain considerably weaker than any character of their level. A few special innates/spells here and there, and moderate THAC0/HP progression is more than enough.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#12 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:58 AM

Why? These were one of the useful and more interesting effects of the unmodded version. Removing these would reduce the effectiveness of theese familiars. Especially if you don't make them summonable at will (like in NWN), since they would definitely perish in a tougher battle.

Also, keeping them (both the older and new ones) balanced is essential here - while they level up, they must remain considerably weaker than any character of their level. A few special innates/spells here and there, and moderate THAC0/HP progression is more than enough.

View Post

The familiar can be told to stay in a place. This makes you able to keep him out of harms way, for the bigger battles. Ask him to wait outside the room or area.

This is not final, if the penalty and the bonus is gone, this evens out according to me.

#13 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:40 AM

The familiar can be told to stay in a place. This makes you able to keep him out of harms way, for the bigger battles. Ask him to wait outside the room or area.

This is not final, if the penalty and the bonus is gone, this evens out according to me.

Neither of these really answer the question: why?
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#14 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:29 AM

Neither of these really answer the question: why?

View Post

- The con/hp thing is hardcoded, so in the system i use, for selection of familiars+new ones. And I don't think it was a nessesary part to actually manually code it..
- not in pack thing... um... because I say so?

#15 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:53 AM

- not in pack thing... um... because I say so?

This tells everything then. ;)
Posted Image

#16 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:39 AM

Was wondering about your previous post..

Especially if you don't make them summonable at will (like in NWN), since they would definitely perish in a tougher battle.

I never played NWN, how do they deal with this summoning familiar at will..
Does this mean they treat it like a Monster Summoning spell only it's the same monster each time..?

#17 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:32 AM

Well, I've been planning to do familiar enhancements for D0Tweak for some time now. I don't think I'll stop just yet. :)
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#18 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:45 AM

Well, I've been planning to do familiar enhancements for D0Tweak for some time now. I don't think I'll stop just yet. :)

View Post

I hope so.. there is always the possibility this mod dosen't fall through..
(looking at the "familiar modding" history, this mod is certaintly doomed.. :blink: )
+ you have about 50x my modding XP.. :blush: (in not more)

#19 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:44 AM

I'm told by supposedly reliable sources that there is also yet another Familiar mod in progress.

Visit the IESDP

#20 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

I'm told by supposedly reliable sources that there is also yet another Familiar mod in progress.

Ok, Familiars will definitely rule the modding business sometime.

I never played NWN, how do they deal with this summoning familiar at will..

A mage has the Summon Familar innate, and can use it once/day. After the Familiar has been summoned, it stays as long as it is unsummoned, killed, or the mage rests. Either way, it can be summoned the next day without any problems. The mage won't lose any hitpoints or anything else if the familiar dies, but it cannot be re-summoned until rest.
The familiar gains new levels as the mage levels up, but their progression in HP and anything else is much slower/weaker compared to that of their masters.
Posted Image