BGII:SOA Familiar Mod

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

A mage has the Summon Familar innate, and can use it once/day. After the Familiar has been summoned, it stays as long as it is unsummoned, killed, or the mage rests. Either way, it can be summoned the next day without any problems. The mage won't lose any hitpoints or anything else if the familiar dies, but it cannot be re-summoned until rest.
The familiar gains new levels as the mage levels up, but their progression in HP and anything else is much slower/weaker compared to that of their masters.

View Post

Acutally, in NWN, the familiar stays if you rest, that way you get to keep your innate ability, so if it dies that day, you can resummon it.
You also take some damage (1d6?) if it dies...

I have no idea how its like in actual D&D...
"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#22 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

In D&D, the familiar improves with levels in a similar way to NWN. Though it doesn't gain actual levels, it gets some abilities (e.g. being able to deliver touch spells for you) and gets bonuses to natural armour and INT. Their HP equal half of the character's.

If it dies you cannot get another one for a year and a day, and you lose XP.

EDIT: These are the 3E rules; I don't know the official 2E ones.

Edited by Andyr, 24 March 2005 - 03:43 PM.

"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#23 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

2nd edition says that if the familiar dies, the wizard must immediately roll against system shock, and die if they fail. Even if they survive the check they still lose 1 point of constitution permanantly.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#24 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:27 AM

2nd edition says that if the familiar dies, the wizard must immediately roll against system shock, and die if they fail.

Thats nonsense, if you ask me. Why should a great archmage die because of the loss of his familar? If it would be the opposite, I'd say it's ok.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#25 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:50 AM

Because the familiar and master are bonded.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#26 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

Why does the wizard get bonus hitpoints when they have a familiar? Because they are bonded and share part of their lifeforce. Thus, it makes sense that when the bond is broken there would be some sort of backlash through it

Edited by Caedwyr, 26 March 2005 - 09:45 AM.

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#27 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:30 AM

Andyr and Caedwyr are correct.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#28 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

Absolutely wonderful! My mod stolen :( I had quite a bit of work laid out on this, and now people are stealing it left and right. Oh well. You can check this forum here for the thread. It's titled something about familiar mods...

:( :( :(

dammit. my mod. my pride and joy.

#29 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:55 PM

Absolutely wonderful! My mod stolen :( I had quite a bit of work laid out on this, and now people are stealing it left and right. Oh well. You can check this forum here for the thread. It's titled something about familiar mods...

:( :( :(

View Post

Bah! There's been dozens of familiar mods started, and even a few completed. Yet still people clamor for them. They are hardly new ideas. Yet I doubt you'd be snubbed if you finished yours and released it. Keep plugging away. :thumb:

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#30 Aegnor

Aegnor
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:30 AM

Should I guess that the "guest" was Awake? :shifty:
If you actually are working on a fam-mod you should keep at it..
As history shows, 99% of these mods... dies under mysterious circumstances...
It is almost as if some higher power don't want it to be made... :devil:

#31 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:59 AM

But what about your fame?
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#32 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:37 PM

But what about your fame?

View Post

Meh, fame shmame. I can do without.

Doesn't matter. All of the files that I put onto a disk so I could save them when I reformatted my HD(because I stupidly uninstalled the graphic card drivers and didn't realize that was the problem) became corrupted.

Aegnor, yes, this is Awake.

I may eventually try to start up again, but I lack in the persistence and endurance to take these constant beatings to my modding efforts.

No matter, I've got a TC to work on, and this will just remove one of the many side projects that I was working on so that I can get back to that.

Aegnor, feel free to "steal" from my thread any ideas that looked interesting. And good luck! :thumb:

#33 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

Why does the wizard get bonus hitpoints when they have a familiar? Because they are bonded and share part of their lifeforce. Thus, it makes sense that when the bond is broken there would be some sort of backlash through

It is acceptable that "SOME SORT" of backlash happens, but killing the wizard..??? :blink:
Come on, it is just hillarious that a 20th level Battle Mage dies simply because his newly summoned familiar (since this rule applies for all familiars, no matter how long it serves it's master) gets squashed...
Posted Image

#34 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:26 AM

To add on to what has been said here, Dragon Magazine introduced a series of 2nd Edition spells a wizard can cast on his familiar to improve it. They must be cast in order, but all have a permanent duration.

Familiar Enhancer I (2nd level): INT raised to 1d3+4, receives an innate ability from table 1 (which includes Protection from Evil once per day and Unseen Servant once per day).

Familiar Enhancer II (3rd level): INT raised to 1d3+7, receives an innate ability from either tables 1 or 2 (the latter includes Blur twice per day and Detect Invisibility once per day).

Familiar Enhancer III (4th level): INT raised to 1d2+10, receives an innate ability from either tables 1 or 2

Familiar Enhancer IV (5th level): receives an innate ability from either tables 1, 2, or 3 (the latter includes Invisibility once per day and Mirror Image once per day).

Familiar Enhancer V (6th level): receives either two innate abilities from either tables 1 2, or one innate ability from either tables 3 or 4 (the latter includes Charm Animals once per day and Polymorph Self (to human or demi-human form) once per day).

Familiar Enhancer VI (7th level): receives either two innate abilities from table 2, or one innate ability from eithe tables 3, 4, or 5 (the latter includes Improved Invisibility once per day day and Hold Animal once per day).

Familiar Enhancer VII (8th level): receives one innate from either tables 3, 4, or 5.

Familiar Enhancer VIII (9th level): receives either two innate abilities from table 3, or one innate ability from either tables 4 or 5.

Due to the limitations of the Infinity Engine, it'd probably be easiest if such effects were simply automatically applied to the familiar when the caster reached certain levels, rather than being actual castable spells. There could obviously be a Familiar Enhancer type HLA as well.

Also, whereas in pnp the innate abilities are gained randomly rather than chosen by the caster, if this were adapted to BG2 I'd suggest the modder select which ones to grant, as it would both be easier and allow for better balancing.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 07 April 2005 - 05:36 AM.

#35 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

Due to the limitations of the Infinity Engine, it'd probably be easiest if such effects were simply automatically applied to the familiar when the caster reached certain levels, rather than being actual castable spells.

Yes, I agree.

There could obviously be a Familiar Enhancer type HLA as well.

Indeed - I thought about this for v2 of Refinements, but I wanted it to be "in line" with all the other familiar-modifications in progress.
Posted Image