• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

In recon mission...shush!!

• 429 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

Hello,
I started my BP-BGT-NeJ-DSotSC-SotBH a while ago and already made it to Baldur's Gate but now it seems that I may have several areas missing. Earlier in my game I discovered that I can't access the forest map which is the second to North from Gnoll stronghold (ctd without loading or warning messages). And now there's two areas (Western and North Eastern parts) in Baldur's Gate which cause the same thing. I can't go or CLUA there. Also, in central part of BG I get a message right after day/night movie : "Assertion failed in Infinity. CPP at line number 1866. Programmer says: tile set AR7700N not found." So there's deffinately some files missing. The question is: how's that possible? I made full installs of both games and expansions and followed Shadowtech's instructions step by step. I didn't get any error messages during the installation. There's lots of parse warnings/empty actions in dialogues of setup-BP-BGT.debug, but those couldn't affect areas, right? What should I do?

Seeing day/night movie in BG made me realize what else was missing: the movies. I never saw any; IIRC there should be one for entering Friendly Arm and flushing the Nashkel mines for example. Missing movies didn't seem to cause any harm though...

Also, another weird thing: my Immy is completely silent (no voice- I get her lines as text instead). Minsc has his battle cry and comments about party reputation but otherwise it's the same thing as with Immy. Having no voice can be annoying in battles; I have to keep on eye of Minsc and Immy constantly because I can't hear if they're hurt... :( Other party members' voicing seems to be alright.

So, I can just hope that there's some solution to these problems, another than reinstalling. I'd rather have one of those Fear Factor menus than go through that again... :wacko:

For the last but not least, my weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // Component Name
~SETUP-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.TP2~ #0 #0 // BP-BGT-NEJ, Patch 313
~SETUP-DSOTSC.TP2~ #0 #0 // DSotSC v1.5 Mod
~SETUP-DSOTSC.TP2~ #0 #1 // Now for the decompression of area .tis files.
~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bone Hill Mod v1.8 (Requires BGT-BP)
~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ #0 #1 // Now for the decompression of area .tis files.
~SETUP-BONEHILLV19.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bone Hill Mod Patch v1.9 (Requires BGT-BP)
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Install BP s_&_h Patch version 6
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #2 // NEJ-specific fixes
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #3 // Sureblade Nerf: Downgrades Rolf's sword to something more manageable
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #1 // BP Nerfs: Based upon Hlidskialf's Nerf scripts, this component reduces the difficulty of some of the more troublesome creatures.
~SETUP-BPSERIES.TP2~ #0 #0 // BPSeries v1.0.2
~SETUP BP-BGT WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Revised worldmap for the Baldur's Gate - Big Picture compatibility mod including coloured Baldur's Gate map icons

Edited by minnamaarit, 24 March 2005 - 10:13 AM.

*Frak Ferrari. Frak Porsche. Give me Nimbus 2000. Or a levitate spell.*

Posted Image
Mwhahaha!! I has Boo! And since I has Boo, I has Minsc too! Beware, evil buttocks! >:D

#2 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

If the movies are missing, here is what happened:

You told BG1 to do a full install (however it is a trick - it doesn't work).
You have to actually do a custom install and select all items (some genius at BioWare didn't think this is the same as a full install).

Now for the good news. You will have to reinstall everything!

Actually you do, but backup your saved games because you should still be able to use them in your rebuild. That is the good part.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#3 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:24 AM

If the movies are missing, here is what happened:

You told BG1 to do a full install (however it is a trick - it doesn't work).
You have to actually do a custom install and select all items (some genius at BioWare didn't think this is the same as a full install).

Now for the good news.  You will have to reinstall everything!

Actually you do, but backup your saved games because you should still be able to use them in your rebuild.  That is the good part.

View Post

Actually I did the custom install as told, selected everything but I can't figure out fow it's possible that I'm still missing something. Hmmm...somehow I saw those "good news" coming. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Mwhahaha!! I has Boo! And since I has Boo, I has Minsc too! Beware, evil buttocks! >:D

#4 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

Wow, remembered something: when I installed BG1, the installer said I had too little free space for installation (which was not true, I had over 20 gigs free). Installed anyway as told in Bioware forums. The installation began and the program asked the cd1 for the last time already somewhere at 70% and started the movie. So, I actually didn't ever saw installation progress reaching full 100%. Is it possible that the installer didn't install everything, after all? I didn't get any error messages/warnings during the process, though.

Posted Image

#5 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:33 AM

If the installer choked on disk space, could it have stepped back a few screens and removed all your checkmarks for installed items? Don't know what it does during an error. Without the movies, you definitely don't have a "full" install.

Also, after you install BG1, you need to run it once and build a character (this sets up some info in the Baldur.INI file that the BGT installer looks for). You don't have to save the character or anything, just run through the creation process so the game does what it needs to do. BGT will have problems if you did not do this process (need to do this also with SOA).

Classic Adventures

#6 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

If the installer choked on disk space, could it have stepped back a few screens and removed all your checkmarks for installed items?  Don't know what it does during an error.  Without the movies, you definitely don't have a "full" install.

Yeah, I was running out of disk space so there simply was no room for everything. Did a full uninstall-reinstall session taday and everything seems to be in order now; I have movies, can access those areas mentioned above and Immy+Minsc aren't mute anymore. Yay!! :P There's one prob tho: my worldmap got crazy, it has spell descriptions on it. Any way to fix this? I installed BP-BGT-NeJ+patches and all mods exactly the same order I had them.

Posted Image

#7 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:11 PM

Hmm, I suspect it is because you are using a map from a saved game? You install is no longer "exactly" the same since you did a full install this time. All I can think of is that the string references have changed from your saved game to your new game. It shouldn't be critical if you are almost finished with the BGT part of the game, but I suspect this will carry onto the SOA part of the map as well.

You could use NI to open your saved game and edit WORLDMAP.WMP which is the file that tells your saved game what locations you have been to so far. Go to each map location you want to fix and update the Name and Tooltip field for each one. I use the Find command to track down the correct strref numbers for each one. This is a painful process but better than restarting a game.

You can also start a new game and see if the areas are still messed up. If they are, something isn't right. If they are fine, it is definitely your saved map.

Classic Adventures

#8 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:23 AM

Hmm, I suspect it is because you are using a map from a saved game?  You install is no longer "exactly" the same since you did a full install this time.  All I can think of is that the string references have changed from your saved game to your new game.  It shouldn't be critical if you are almost finished with the BGT part of the game, but I suspect this will carry onto the SOA part of the map as well.

You could use NI to open your saved game and edit WORLDMAP.WMP which is the file that tells your saved game what locations you have been to so far.  Go to each map location you want to fix and update the Name and Tooltip field for each one.  I use the Find command to track down the correct strref numbers for each one.  This is a painful process but better than restarting a game.

You can also start a new game and see if the areas are still messed up.  If they are, something isn't right.  If they are fine, it is definitely your saved map.

View Post

Checked the map with a new game and it's fine so it's my save game map (phew!). I'll check my save game with NI and see what I can do there. Thanks for the advice BillyBob! :)

Posted Image

#9 -Guest_Spawn_*-

-Guest_Spawn_*-

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:17 AM

I seem to be suffering from similar problems for the first time.
Baldurs Gate is fine its just the two areas leading to the gnoll stronghold that ctd & i can't clua console into them.

Hills
/ Mountains
2Trees/
/
Gnoll

My Weidu Log

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // Component Name
~SETUP-BP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy -Big Picture version
~SETUP-NEJ.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey v1.3h
~SETUP-NEJ.TP2~ #0 #1 // Continuous and Custom Kit Imoen
~SETUP-NEJ.TP2~ #0 #2 // Now for the decompression of area .tis and sound files. You MUST install this for the mod to work. This will take a while so don't panic!
~SETUP-BPNEJ.TP2~ #0 #0 // Big Picture patch for Neverending Journey weidu
~SETUP-BPNEJ.TP2~ #0 #1 // Do you wish to replace the Human Fighter Kit Guardian with the NEJ Moonknight?
~SETUP-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.TP2~ #0 #0 // BP-BGT-NEJ, Patch 313
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Install BP s_&_h Patch version 6
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #1 // BP Nerfs: Based upon Hlidskialf's Nerf scripts, this component reduces the difficulty of some of the more troublesome creatures.
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #2 // NEJ-specific fixes
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #3 // Sureblade Nerf: Downgrades Rolf's sword to something more manageable
~SETUP-BPSERIES.TP2~ #0 #0 // BPSeries v1.0.2
~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.4
~SETUP-SBT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shorter-Better Transition for BP-BGT-NeJ Release 14
~SETUP-SBT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Import Khalid into Shadows of Amn - requires SBT
~SETUP BP-BGT WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Revised worldmap for the Baldur's Gate - Big Picture compatibility mod including coloured Baldur's Gate map icons
~SETUP BP-BGT WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #1 // Setup default worldmap location visibility (recommended)
~SETUP BP-BGT WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #2 // Clothmap style map for Throne of Bhaal
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades

Any option besides reinstalling everything since the discs are currently on loan to a friend whose version runs perfectly!!!

#10 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:28 AM

I don't think your game needed the updated Worldmap. That was really for people that had DSotSC and or CtB installed. The regular map in BGT-BP should have been fine. I suspect the two areas you mention are the ones that had their area codes changed for compatibility reasons.

Yacomo, you out there to verify?

Classic Adventures

#11 -Guest_Spawn_*-

-Guest_Spawn_*-

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:33 AM

If i were to find and install DSotSC would that fix it?

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:43 AM

DSotSC will rearrange those areas for you but you will want to uninstall his map mod first, install DSotSC, and reinstall the map mod. Otherwise, his map is going to get overwritten by the DSotSC map. And the Map mod has a much better looking map.

Classic Adventures

#13 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:10 AM

I don't think your game needed the updated Worldmap.  That was really for people that had DSotSC and or CtB installed.  The regular map in BGT-BP should have been fine.  I suspect the two areas you mention are the ones that had their area codes changed for compatibility reasons.

Yacomo, you out there to verify?

View Post

Uh oh and I hoped, nobody noticed this :crying: Actually I learned just a couple of minutes ago from Ascension64 that those two areas are named differently in plain BGT and with DSotSC installed :( So, yes, you will need DSotSC installed for v2 of the worldmap to work properly. Uninstall worldmap, install DSotSC, reinstall worldmap and all should be fine.

#14 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, I was running out of disk space so there simply was no room for everything. Did a full uninstall-reinstall session taday and everything seems to be in order now; I have movies, can access those areas mentioned above and Immy+Minsc aren't mute anymore. Yay!! :P There's one prob tho: my worldmap got crazy, it has spell descriptions on it. Any way to fix this? I installed BP-BGT-NeJ+patches and all mods exactly the same order I had them.

View Post

Hi Minnamarit - sorry, I was away during the holidays, but obviously you had great help. Glad to hear that you managed to fix your problems :thumb:

Concerning the string problems with your save game there is one more option: You can always copy the worldmap.wmp file from the override to your save game folder. If you do this, the visibility of your areas will be reset to default, so you'll have to visit them again. In some cases like Cloakwood you'll have to use NI to make them accessible, but I think this might still be easier than changing the labels by hand.

* EDIT * Thinking about it, I could also write a small WeiDU patch file for your save game that reapplies the correct strings - just tell me if you want it ;)

Edited by Yacomo, 28 March 2005 - 10:12 PM.

#15 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:53 AM

View Post

Hi Minnamarit - sorry, I was away during the holidays, but obviously you had great help. Glad to hear that you managed to fix your problems :thumb:

Concerning the string problems with your save game there is one more option: You can always copy the worldmap.wmp file from the override to your save game folder. If you do this, the visibility of your areas will be reset to default, so you'll have to visit them again. In some cases like Cloakwood you'll have to use NI to make them accessible, but I think this might still be easier than changing the labels by hand.

* EDIT * Thinking about it, I could also write a small WeiDU patch file for your save game that reapplies the correct strings - just tell me if you want it ;)

View Post

Hi Yacomo,
Thanks for the advice. I actually already "updated" my worldmap by starting a new game, CLUAing to all areas I had visited so far and then overwriting my old my map with this new one. Worked like a charm, altough it ment a lot of CLUAing as I had visited almost all places already. And of course it's cheating! ;) I tried to use NI but for some reason it didn't worked right on my PC anymore; some of the text and buttons didn't show at all and it didn't let me to edit my wordmap. I tried to install Java again but it did npthing. I wonder if there's some incompatibility issue with my XP system?

Anyways, I don't have map problems anymore but clearly DSotSC and BoneHill mods didn't like using an old save; names of people and places got mixed and some of the dialogue as well. This concerns only those people I've already met and spoken to, and quests that I've already done in these mods; I started the last part of BoneHill a while ago and it has no problem with dialogues and such. Well, Pelltar actually has someone's line as his name but his dialogues are ok... :rolleyes: So, as I've already done the first part of BH and whole DSotSC (Great mods both! I actually thought I had a powerfull party before I met The Party of Lot [damn duergars!] and a pit fiend whos name I can't ever pronounce...Suddenly remembered why I always hated repulsion field so much! :wacko: ) it's moreover an esthetical problem. However, if the're a quick way to fix it, I'd gladly try it.:)

Edited by minnamaarit, 29 March 2005 - 02:55 AM.

Posted Image

#16 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:19 AM

However, if the're a quick way to fix it, I'd gladly try it.:)

View Post

If all is working except for some strings I'd rather not try to 'fix' it and potentially break something else :whistling:
As for your problems with NI: In order to edit the worldmap NI will need more memory (the map is too huge for the default settings). If you have v2 of the worldmap mod, you can find modified NI start scripts for both regular and beta versions there. Otherwise I can of course post them for you.
NI showing 'wrong' strings: Only thing I can think of is that NI is still using an 'old' dialog.tlk file, maybe you now have two installs of BG2 on your machine and NI is running from within the old directory? Or do you only see wrong strings while editing save games? Then that's because the save games contain stuff that got copied over from your last install (worldmap, areas, creatures etc.) which is now pointing to wrong strings, I would be able to fix the map for you, but unfortunately there is no 'generic' way to fix all the creatures and areas :(

#17 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:32 AM

However, if the're a quick way to fix it, I'd gladly try it.:)

View Post

If all is working except for some strings I'd rather not try to 'fix' it and potentially break something else :whistling:
As for your problems with NI: In order to edit the worldmap NI will need more memory (the map is too huge for the default settings). If you have v2 of the worldmap mod, you can find modified NI start scripts for both regular and beta versions there. Otherwise I can of course post them for you.
NI showing 'wrong' strings: Only thing I can think of is that NI is still using an 'old' dialog.tlk file, maybe you now have two installs of BG2 on your machine and NI is running from within the old directory? Or do you only see wrong strings while editing save games? Then that's because the save games contain stuff that got copied over from your last install (worldmap, areas, creatures etc.) which is now pointing to wrong strings, I would be able to fix the map for you, but unfortunately there is no 'generic' way to fix all the creatures and areas :(

View Post

Yeah, I think too it's best to let it be as there are no "real" problems. As for NI, I have to look more into it. I'm sure I have no double installations of SoA, though.

Posted Image

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:06 PM

NI with XP can also have the problem of not having the "right" version of Java installed. I discovered that the Java website tries to have you download version 5.1 but NI needs an older version which you can get from a link on the NI website. 1.23 or something. Anyway, this could be part of the problem, use the Java link that NI gives you for downloading Java, do not use the standard version from the normal Java website.

Classic Adventures

#19 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

• 429 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

Ok, will try that. Thanks. :)

Posted Image