BGIII

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#41 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

A prequel? Nothing good can come of that.

View Post

The Throne of Bhaal ENDED THE SERIES okay? They couldn't do a sequel even if they wanted to, hence the decision to make a prequel.

View Post

Throne of Bhaal ended the story of the main character from BG1 and BG2 (and, BTW, the ending of TOB is so vague about Charname's fate that it leaves places for more than one sequel... :P ... but that is just my opinion). Who the hell says that BG3 should be about Charname or his descendants ? There is not a direct connection such as this in IWD series, nor in the Elder Scrolls series, but that does not stop them to be considered a part of the same series. Just one sample (to demonstrate how could a sequel be) : Charname could disturb some things in TOB and in a BG3 another hero could fix the mess. The main problem is not that TOB says a little about Charname's fate, but the fact that it has 3 endings for the player to choose. If it had not, it would have been much easier to create a sequel (just another sample : if Charname's ascends to godhood, Cyric could find a way to strip him of his divinity and cast him out among mortals again). And there can be imagined other ideas too. ;)

View Post

Why they can't do a sequel?

Simple.

Who should decide whether Charname chose the mortal life or chose to become god? That's why only prequels can be made.

Edit: Whoops, jsut read the last part of your post, and yes that was the point I was trying to make earlier.

Edited by Grunker, 01 April 2005 - 09:40 AM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#42 Sir guestalot

Sir guestalot
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:53 AM

They could make 2 diffrent options:P and 2 diffrent games :D

#43 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

Interestingly, both parts, prequel and sequel, can involve gods as characters. Side note I repeat: BG3 can be about anything Baldur's Gate-ish.

#44 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:20 AM

Or anything else. Dark Alliance has BG in name but I heard it isn't related to BG in anything else.
Stars are out.. the magic is back

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#45 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

Or anything else. Dark Alliance has BG in name but I heard it isn't related to BG in anything else.

Other than the fact the first part of the game is set there, and the storyline involves the player(s) trying to prevent an attack on the city. Baldur's Gate is the main area in - and heavily figures in the storyline of - Dark Alliance 2 as well.

#46 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:33 PM

Who should decide whether Charname chose the mortal life or chose to become god? That's why only prequels can be made.

View Post

BG2's backstory is built upon assumptions about the player's actions in BG, with only a few weak attempts to account for the player having different story paths. (Why would an evil player wake up with Minsc and Jaheira? Why does Edwin owe me a year of service? How do I know Neb?) I really don't see anything that would prevent the same methodology from BG2 > BG3.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#47 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:24 PM

BG1 was good.

BG2 followed BG1, and it was less good.

ToB followed BG2, and it was a steaming pile of horse shit.

If BG3 follows ToB, what will it be?

Edited by SimDing0, 01 April 2005 - 01:24 PM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#48 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

BG1 was good.

View Post

BG3 before BG1, so it must be excellent
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#49 BallOfFire

BallOfFire
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

View Post

BG2's backstory is built upon assumptions about the player's actions in BG, with only a few weak attempts to account for the player having different story paths. (Why would an evil player wake up with Minsc and Jaheira? Why does Edwin owe me a year of service? How do I know Neb?) I really don't see anything that would prevent the same methodology from BG2 > BG3.

View Post

Neb was part of the main storyline in BG1; you had to answer his riddle to get out of the Flaming Fist Headquarters.

And @ Tom, lol

#50 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:34 PM

Neb was part of the main storyline in BG1; you had to answer his riddle to get out of the Flaming Fist Headquarters.

View Post

...if you ever let the Flaming Fist arrest you. If you didn't, you never met Neb.

Mind you, I don't see any of those decisions (even the way you mysteriously have it both ways where Minsc and Edwin are concerned) or even all of them together as having the same magnitude as a decision to become, or not become, a god of good or of evil.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#51 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:46 AM

The only problems I've e ver had in Bloodlines was when it crashed at the caves when you had to save the profeser
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#52 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:58 AM

The only problems I've e ver had in Bloodlines was when it crashed at the caves when you had to save the profeser

View Post

Yep, that was the only bug I had, but a game should not be released with a game stopping bug in it. Apart from that it was a good game

#53 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 02:23 AM

there is a patch for it, which lets you continue on through the game
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#54 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:45 AM

Yep, that was the only bug I had, but a game should not be released with a game stopping bug in it. Apart from that it was a good game

View Post

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many games have been released with game stopping bugs. Suffice it to say that the number is very high indeed.

The problem is that while the bug may appear on some systems, there's a good chance it'll never be an issue on a huge number of other computers, and thus may well have never been noticed during betatesting, however intesive it was. That's the main problem with the fact there's such a vast number of possible PC hardware combinations.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 02 April 2005 - 05:24 AM.

#55 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:46 AM

View Post

View Post

BG1 was good.

View Post

Yes but these were all rather unimportant things. Now the decision of whether to be a god or not is the culmination of what all the games have stroven against, so to decide whether or not Charname chose to be a deity would create som pissed off fans... But what the hell, were pissed off anyways, bring it on! <_<

BG2 was much worse than ToB Sim...
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#56 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:49 AM

BG2 was much worse than ToB Sim...

View Post

Rest assured you're one of a exceptionally tiny minority who shares that opinion.

#57 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:52 AM

ToB. :(
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#58 Sein_Schatten

Sein_Schatten

His Divine Shadow

• 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:44 AM

The problem is that while the bug may appear on some systems, there's a good chance it'll never be an issue on a huge number of other computers, and thus may well have never been noticed during betatesting, however intesive it was.  That's the main problem with the fact there's such a vast number of possible PC hardware combinations.

View Post

care to explain why software bugs like "door wont open until you kill all enemies in area x whereas the door should be opened anytime" has any relevance with hardware combinations? :blink:

#59 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:23 AM

Care to explain how "good chance" means "100% chance"?

EDIT: Incidentally, I don't recall ever experiencing such a problem in Bloodlines...

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 02 April 2005 - 05:25 AM.

#60 Sir guestalot

Sir guestalot
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:37 AM

Who ever said ToB was better then SoU is wrong;p

TOB is short:/ and annoying.