Request for when its finnaly finished...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 -The Wraith-

-The Wraith-

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:15 PM

Well, I have been closely watching the um ahem progress on this mod, and seriously cant wait for it to be released! I have a growing dread though:
I no squat about the different file types et cetera on the computer, and thus have a hard time getting mods to work, more specifically, mods (or other files) in ZIP format. I have no idea what to do to get them working, so I have been stuck with Westley Weimer's mods being my only option, due to the fact that they are self extracting or somesuch
So my request is PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE THIS MOD A SELF EXTRACTING THINGY WHEN IT COMES OUT PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!

#2 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:05 AM

This mod will be compressed, as is every download on the Internet... otherwise you'd have to download a few hundred files and rearrange them into the correct folder structure.

All WeiDU mods simply need to be extracted to your BG2 folder, then then Setup-[mod name] file should be run. This is usually stated in the readmes that come with mods.

#3 -The Wraith-

-The Wraith-

Posted 21 January 2003 - 08:20 PM

hmm...this has not been the case with me. Mayhap it is not the mods that are at fault here...I apologize for disturbing your forum, and must now look into this matter...

#4 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 01:16 AM

"I no squat about the different file types et cetera on the computer, and thus have a hard time getting mods to work, more specifically, mods (or other files) in ZIP format. I have no idea what to do to get them working, "

download winzip, easily available in any one of hundreds of free download sites, (for example, search inside file planet, or run search on yahoo for "winzip")

download winzip, and install it...and then download something, save to folder or desktop, then right click and extract to desktop or a folder, then carefully read the instructions and follow install procedure

:D :P B)

dont worry about it...we all forget just how hard it can be to get started, especially if you dont feel computer savvy....

:)
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#5 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 06:51 AM

Don't use WinZip, it's a pile of outdated rubbish... and all the mods I'm involved in will be coming out in the RAR format.

Get WinRAR from www.rarlabs.com

#6 AG3

AG3
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 09:39 AM

An outdated program and format that lacks many features, but it is still the easiest program to use for newbees, IMHO. I've used it for years. But there's nothing wrong with having more than one program, and several internet sites still use the (outdated, lousy compression rate) zip format. :)

#7 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:21 AM

Too bad, I'm on a modem and RAR it shall be.

#8 AG3

AG3
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:28 PM

But there's nothing wrong with having more than one program...

I use Winace to unpack RAR files myself, but for the zipfiles that are still in use on the web, Winzip is a better program. Winace has a few quirks I dislike.

I was simply pointing out that Winzip is good for beginners, not that you should use it for the Mod. I have a modem myself, so the smaller the better. :)

#9 Niz

Niz

Osprey's Demon Wizard Brat

• 232 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 01:25 PM

There are better things out there than ace but they're mostly console apps and take a very long time to extract. You could make it a self-extracting archive with winrar and winace so then nobody would have any difficulty with it...

#10 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 04:30 PM

WinACE is a terrible program, and in my experience the RAR format is better than ACE. The WinRAR and WinZip interfaces are virtually identical (with WinZip set to classic mode).

I don't like self-extracting archives, and I don't see it being a less complex solution than including the instruction "hit the extract button".

#11 AG3

AG3
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 05:17 PM

Indeed, the Winace program and interface sucks, and the compression rate is sometimes lower than even Winzip. But since it can unpack RAR files, and I sometimes need to unpack ACE files, it's still on the computer.

#12 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:23 AM

WinRAR can unpack ACE files.

#13 AG3

AG3
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 09:27 AM

How much are you paid to promote WinRAR? ;)
But seriously, Winace was the first program I downloaded after a rather bad Harddrive crash, and since I very rarely have to unpack RAR files (or ACE for that matter), it just lies dormant on my computer.

#14 Niz

Niz

Osprey's Demon Wizard Brat

• 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 10:45 AM

Well in most cases RAR or ACE make little difference in compression and the interface is not all that botherful to me, then again I've learnt tolerance by years and years of seeing 10 micro$oft created errors a day at least *sigh*.

#15 AG3

AG3
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:48 PM

Well, since it's not the most used program on my computer, the lousy interface is bearable.

Microsoft is good at forcefully teaching people patience and tolerance, at least in those who don't find the crashes so unbearable that they smash the computer... And the good old DOS days instilled a certain amount of it in me as well. Not to mention all the useful autoexec.bat and config.sys skills I have obtained, and that are of an immense use to me in every day life now... :rolleyes:

#16 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 02:04 PM

The most useful thing you can do with those two files, in this day and age, is REM them.

#17 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:14 PM

I know winxp can unpack zip files, but im not sure if mac os can. In any case if your os can do it itself its faster and easier so i have no need for winzip.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#18 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:22 AM

Woah, biggest bump I've ever seen! :P

BTW the problem with .rar files is they can't be opened by Macs. .zip files can be.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 11 June 2004 - 02:23 AM.

#19 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:01 AM

If this mod requires ToB (doubt it will, mind) that won't be a problem. ToB never made it to the Mac, did it?

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:09 AM

I use picozip for all my uncompression needs. It handles rar, zip, ace, cab, arc, arj, tar, and many other formats w/o any need to look else where. The interface is excellent and easy to use.