Photo

Our hero's story?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 cirerrek

cirerrek
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

So what is the deal with the protagonists confusion about his origin?

Admittedly, I'm early in the game just having landed on Telos, but in that time the conversation options are strange.

Is our hero suffering from amnesia like Revan?
Is our hero simply being secretive about his/her past?
Does our hero only know/remember bits and pieces about his/her past?
Or does our hero not remember the relatively recent past?

Wacko. I've named the character, leveled him up/her, talked to many people with him, and I still have no idea who is or who he is supposed to be.

The convesation with Kreia on the Ebon Hawk after leaving Peragus tries to force you into a box, doesn't tell you what the box is, and tells you that you are fool and are going to pick the wrong box.

Well hopefully this is some sort of plot device to keep the story interesting. So I guess I'll go talk with a few more NPCs in the hopes of unraveling more of the story.

#2 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:09 AM

god knows, I'm still trying to figure out the whole force bonds thing
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#3 Kai of Candlekeep

Kai of Candlekeep

Me? Nice? Dream on.

• Modder
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

The following post contains SPOILERS.

You've been warned.

This is how I understand the story of KotOR 2:

I think the premise is that The Exile is one of the last surviving Jedi (leaders) during the Mandalorian wars, one of the "renegade" Jedi who followed Revan.

The Exile was... well, exiled... because s/he followed Revan into battle, and since they couldn't find the actual Revan (s/he dissappeared shortly after the Mandalorian War, never to be seen again), the Jedi council punishes you instead. Apparently, your character was a pretty high-ranking officer during the war, which is presumably why Bao-Dur calls you "General."

The Jedi Civil War (which was actually Jedi vs. Sith, but most common people do not know the difference; all they know is that all Force users must be Jedi, either dark or light, but whatever...right?)

Anyway, the story begins on board the Ebon Hawk, with T3-M4 making hasty repairs to the ship to allow for a safe-ish landing on the nearest planet, which just happens to be Peragus.

Apparently, the Exile had returned to Republic space after travelling (wandering) for about 5 years, just long enough to miss out on the Jedi Civil War. You were a passenger (a VIP) on board the Republic fleet vessel, The Harbinger, en route to Telos for a meeting with Bastila Shan and Admiral Carth Onasi (old friends from KotOR 1).

It is assumed that the Republic was taking you in for several reasons: (1) to evaluate your threat level (since it is unknown at this point whether you are corrupted like Revan, or if you are sympathetic to the Republic's cause; (2) Bastila and Carth both want to know what happened to Revan, and they think you might be the key to finding out, so they definitely wanna talk to you about that; (3) the surviving members of the Jedi Council are interested in talking to you, but the Republic wants to have you in custody first, in case you need to be protected from the Jedi (because they have no idea what those old Jedi have in mind for the Exile yet).

Anyway, the Harbinger is attacked and boarded by Sith, but during the attack you are rescued by a mysterious old woman named Kreia and taken on board the Ebon Hawk to make your escape... but that went awry when the Ebon Hawk was damaged in the firefight and by asteroids and whatnot, so T3-M4 makes hasty repairs and lands you on Peragus. Thus, you have to find a way to get off that rock before the Sith come and get you (you already know this part).

Now, Kreia has known all along that the Sith are hunting you down. Not so much because you are actually "the last Jedi" (because you really are not, even though they tell you that you are several times), but because you are the last truly POWERFUL Jedi, strong in the Force much like Revan once was, and the only Jedi that the Sith percieve to be a threat.

So now you got the Sith on your tail, and this cranky old woman pushing you to do a lot of very strange things, and as you travel you start collecting these people who have some wierd connection to you in some way or other. Talking to your companions will reveal their backstory. But in a nutshell:

Atton Rand = I believe he was in the Mandalorian War, but I do know for certain that he fought during the Jedi Civil war. He is a Force adept (untrained Jedi) who was being recruited for the Sith. I'm still unclear as to what he was doing locked up on Peragus.

Bao-Dur = he tells you several times that he was a tech during the Mandalorian war, and he served under you. He is also a Force-adept. His big thing is that he's eaten up by guilt about some of the monstrous traps and mechanical horrors he created during the war, and he wants reassurance from you that he did the right thing. You find him in the Restoration Zone on Telos... apparently he got involved in the restoration effort to sort of "make up" for all the destruction he caused during the war.

Handmaiden = This one is a bit odd, but apparently her Echani father had an affair with a Jedi and... she is the result. She inherited her Force-sensitivity from her mother.

Mira = The Mandalorians killed her family during the war, and Mira herself was taken as a slave and this is where she learned how to handle firearms and mines so well (and her nifty little special ability). When the war ended, she found her way to Nar Shadaa to make a living as a bounty hunter.

Disciple = He was going to be trained as a Jedi, but the civil war broke out, and everyone went away to fight, and not many of them returned. In the end he was turned away from the Order because there were not enough Masters to train everyone, and they only picked the best of the best. So he now travels in the guise of a "historian and researcher", trying to find Jedi relics (holocrons) or a Master who is willing to train him.

Mandalore = We all know who he is, right?

T3-M4 = He is the same droid that Revan bought in Taris. I'm not sure if the story changes depending on whether Revan is male or female here, but in any case... Bastila knew that wherever Revan went after the Mandalorian war, s/he was not going to take Bastila or anyone else along. Bastila had hoped that Revan would take the ship and the droids, so she left a message in T3's memory core, but apparently she was wrong because Revan eventually left everything behind. This is why you find HK-47 on board as well.

So basically most of your companions (except Mandalore and the droids) are "the lost Jedi" that Kreia wanted you to gather for the purpose of eventually destroying them.

Ok, now back to Kreia.

Her part in this saga is very vague, but basically she "created" both Sion and Nihilous... they were both her students. They were both created for the same basic purpose: to destroy all the remaining Jedi and Sith. Her plan backfired and she lost control of her apprentices, which is why she comes looking for you. Because you are the only one left who has the power to stop them. She set out to intercept the Harbinger when she discovered Sion's plan to ambush it, and that's how you ended up... where you ended up.

The end of the story is not so much about betrayal, more like leading up to Lucas' theory that there are only ever 2 Sith, no more, no less: Master and apprentice... since Kreia couldn't have Revan, she took the next best thing: you.

Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...
- Sir Kalthorine ut Wistan

I find you amusing... in a "What the hell is wrong with you?" kind of way...
- Jaheira, BG1

#4 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

I disagree with the Kreia part. Her part in the story is not at all vague. She had her hand in manipulating all the crew members as well as the Exile mainly.

Kreia's main problem's with the Force itself. She detests the Force and seeks to destroy it, even though she's dependent on wielding the Force. She knew about the Exile and that the Exile was "force-dead". For some reasons, she was curious how the Exile survived the M5 deaths which created a huge echo in the Force and should have killed or deafen any force sensitives who heard it.

Atton was definitely in both wars, he said so himself. As to why he's on Peragus, its not stated anywhere in the game. He was recruited into the Sith as an elite assasin.

Disciple works as a spy for the republic besides researching Jedi history. He was contracted by Carth to look for the Exile.

Kreia of course wanted the Exile to kill her apprentices but I'm not sure if its because to destroy all Jedi and Sith. Her apprentices betrayed her and exiled her.

Just my 2 cents.

#5 Suluku

Suluku
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:39 AM

It seems obvious to me that the thing Kreia hates above all is the moral dichotomy of 'light' and 'dark', dictated by The Force. She wants to create a new 'order', led by human values, which makes its own moral decisons (e.g. whether or not to go to war against the Mandalorians) and uses The Force as it sees fit. The Exile has already started on that path (although she/he doesn't know it at first), which is why Kreia is so interested in him/her and why the Jedi are so hostile. The Sith 'enemies' in the game are yesterday's news as far as Kreia is concerned. At the end the Exile and his/her crew are the beginning of that new order and Kreia dies with her work done.

Nothing vague here at all. KOTOR 2 for me was an interesting and subversive take on a rather pompous imaginary world. Possibly Obsidian didn't quite have the courage of their convictions (although heroes going against 'type' are a common theme in Bioware/Obsidian games), but I liked being made to think and didn't mind about the lack of really tough fights.

#6 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:03 AM

Just a few things I picked up.

Still Spoiler of course

It seems that if you choose a dark sided Revan, Carth gets assasinated by Bastila and she joins Revan in the dark side.

Also, in a dialog option you find out that Kreia actually trained Revan.
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#7 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

It seems obvious to me that the thing Kreia hates above all is the moral dichotomy of 'light' and 'dark', dictated by The Force. She wants to create a new 'order', led by human values, which makes its own moral decisons (e.g. whether or not to go to war against the Mandalorians) and uses The Force as it sees fit. The Exile has already started on that path (although she/he doesn't know it at first), which is why Kreia is so interested in him/her and why the Jedi are so hostile. The Sith 'enemies' in the game are yesterday's news as far as Kreia is concerned. At the end the Exile and his/her crew are the beginning of that new order and Kreia dies with her work done.

Nothing vague here at all. KOTOR 2 for me was an interesting and subversive take on a rather pompous imaginary world. Possibly Obsidian didn't quite have the courage of their convictions (although heroes going against 'type' are a common theme in Bioware/Obsidian games), but I liked being made to think and didn't mind about the lack of really tough fights.

View Post

*GIGANTIC SPOILER ALERT* (Flee those who can!)

This is not entirely true. To repeat Celestine: Kreia detests the force and seeks to destroy, she doesn't wish to create some new order. Propably my favourite part of the game, if you play light side, is where the three masters greet you on Dantooine when you've got them gathered. They comment the point where you went force-dead:

Master: The force left you. You were deafeaned.

Kreia (cutscene): At last, you heard.

Master: You were blinded to the force.

Kreia: At last, you saw.

And so on and so on. Kreia has uncovered her own truth: Life can exist without the force, and as she doesn't want her life to be controlled by somthing "godly", because it has given her so much sorrow and pain, she hates it and seeks to destroy it, which is why you're so special to her. Whether you walk the path of light or darkness isn't that important to Kreia, for after all:

Is it an evil action to destroy the force? It will leave the jedi weak, but also the sith.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#8 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

Spoilers
Okay, I'm almost to Malachor V, so everything else is pretty easy to figure out.

I'm going to punch a few holes in the game, but I'll have to start out with I like it okay.  Not as much as the first, but it is just plain fun to run around with a light saber and be a jedi.

First.  The premise of the story is pretty good, given that it is pretty hard to write after you just played the ultimate bad guy/girl turned good or maybe bad in the first installment. 

It was also nice to have the dialogue options to tell the game how Revan turned out for you in the first game. 

--Intro--

But, I could have done with a nice long intro, that starts with you in command of the fleet above Malachor V and making the decision to have Bao-Dur use the gravitronic device on the planet.

Wouldn't Revan have made that call?

Anyway, when the dust settles, Bao-Dur gets our shell shocked force deaf jedi back on their feet and you numbly decide to go see the council to..face judgement, figure out why you can't feel the force, cry on someones shoulder for all the death and destruction that you caused, hope they execute you for the evil beast that you have become, or something along those lines.  The cutscene would then play out as the custscene did in the game, where you are exiled by the council and they have their little pow-wow to discuss why the are doing what they are  doing. 

With no real answers, no one that is willing to let you cry on their shoulder, no prison sentence or execution to look forward to, you head into exile on the outer rim. 

If that whole cutscene is poignant  enough, then I know the character that I am playing and I can hate him/her or love him/her for doing what they did. 

And I'm not wondering the whole time when my character has a dialogue options that involve things that charater might really know, but I don't.  When that happens I get dropped into reality every time.  Grrr!!!!!

--Number of Planets--

The game needs at least one more planet.  Preferably two.  I'd like more time to adventure with the NPCs that I really like. 

--NPCs--

I found it annoying to get Canderous, HK-47, ad T3-M4, characters that I had worked really hard to get up to level 20, painstakingly selected their feats and attributes, only to get them back in KOTOR2 at level 4 or so. 

The NPCs need to be fleshed out better.  It seemed to me that in the KOTOR 1, it took almost the entire game to get everything out of the NPCs.  In KOTOR2, it seems like you can gain all the influence you need in a dialogue or two. 

Also in KOTOR 1, it seemed like an NPC had planet tailored to them exclussively or pretty close.  So there was generally a reason to use all the NPCs. 

KOTOR 2 makes much better use of T3-M4but then they saddle you with Go-To and HK-47.  HK-47 might have been interesting, but they dropped one of the planets.  Plus, while he has the same old evil, death and dismemberment dialogue, and some of it is pretty funny, it just doesn't have the same punch as it did in the first installment.  It was like the voice actor just didn't have the heart to be that evil for a second time. 

Handmaiden is potentially intriguing, but too naive to be that interesting.  I think a Sith Lord would take particular interest in warping her sense of honor and discipline into an attack dog mentality without her even knowing it. 

I liked Mira.  Spunky, but grounded enough to not be annoying.  I've given her a set of fully modded Elite Watchmen Blasters and with Rapid Fire going, she can lay down a hail of covering fire that The Duke himself would be pleased with. 

I also like Visas.  Something about that covered eyes, belly dancer look appeals to the Goth in me.  But she was way too easy to defeat and turn to the light side.  I should have seen a glimmer of potential for redemption in her and then worked at it the whole game.

Atton.  Did anyone every figure out why he was on Peragus in the first place?  Luke and Darth Vader could pilot a spaceship.  Why not The Exile?

Mandalore = Made for a reasonably plausible cameo appearance.  No problem with him one way or another.  Wish I could take his armor off.  I know he is Canderous from his voice, his reference to Clan Ordo and Kreia's cutscene with him.  What does it matter if I know what he looks like.  The Exile didn't know if and likely wouldn't know that he had traveled with Revan

Bao-Dur:  Really liked his introduction in the game, but he was pretty ho hum thereafter.  I think he has more dialogue, but I think it is unlikely that I'll manage to geth through it before the end of the game.  I like that he can be pretty competent without the use of a lightsaber.  Would have loved to have him on Peragus ;)  What is the deal with him not being able to wear robes?  Would his arm cause them to catch fire?  If so, couldn't they just cut the left sleeve off and equip his remote with a  fire extinguisher? 

Kreia is Kreia.  They did pretty well with her IMO.  A combination of extremely cryptic and some how more forthcoming than your typical Jedi Master, while still lying through her teeth, and telling you that she was the entire time. 

Haven't played with Hanharr, so no comments there.

--Game Play--

More Force Powers = Good (mostly)
More Reasons to Keep Your Skills Up = Good
Feats to Get More Class Skills = Good (given the above)
Too many Force Powers Accessed from the Same Menus = Bad
--give me an extra menu slot for powers that affect the group or just one person
Force Enlightment = Good (Thank goodness, if you selected those powers)
Spots in the game where you exclussively use The Exile or NPCs = Good (Make use of that team that you have assembled)
More Upgrade Options = Okay (Good if you want to min/max, bad if you just want to get through the game)
Inability to Access Upgrade Item without exiting out of the Create Item Dialogue (Bad)
Lightsaber Forms = Neutral (I can't really tell that much of difference, maybe if they had their own really cool animations)

Well, that is about all I can think of now.  Perhaps I'll have more to add after I defeat the game.

View Post

Though I don't agree with everything you say, you have many good points actually. Especially about the intro-thing. It would have been cool if you had seen how you were exiled at the start of the game, with the cutscene ending when you left, and then later find the holodisk that showed the entire discussion, also after you left. Very cool indeed.

Good points Ci.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#9 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:19 AM

I gotta agree too
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

#10 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:13 AM

Ok, now back to Kreia.

Her part in this saga is very vague, but basically she "created" both Sion and Nihilous... they were both her students. They were both created for the same basic purpose: to destroy all the remaining Jedi and Sith.

Just to clarify a few things, here is a quote from the official KoToR Chronicles:

"JEDI MASTER KREIA, Revan's old mentor, is still haunted by guilt, wondering whether it was her teaching that resulted in Revan's fall to the dark side, and begins to search for him. Sensing his last location, she travels to Malachor V, but is unable to shield her emotions, and is completely consumed by the dark side of the Force. She is lost to the Jedi, spending the next several years on Malachor V, learning its secrets, and eventually becoming The master of the Sith academy there. Guided by Kreia's influence, Sith assassins once again begin to emerge silently from Malachor V and strike at isolated Jedi across the Republic, capturing some Jedi to turn to the dark side, and slaying those that resist. Taken to the dark side world of Malachor V to be fed to the planet's dark energies, these Jedi husks create even more assassins and DARK JEDI, feeding the planet's hunger."

And thus Kreia becomes Darth Traya. Her two most powerful apprentices are Sion and Nihilus, both of them fallen Jedis. Both are the "results" of the MV tragedy, and both of them are "dead" according to normal means. Sions physical body was completely destroyed, but Malachor's essence allowed him to exist even beyond death - his body is kept together by pure DS energies, and it is the Force that keeps him "alive". Nihilus is a somewhat different case. He dies at Malachor too, but his essence is kept alive by the planet's power - he reborns as a "wound" in the Force. According to normal logic, he shouldn't exist (just like Sion).
Kreia merely teaches them in the Trayan Academy in the ways of the Sith, she has nothing to do with their "creation". On the contrary, it is the Exile and Revan who are responsible for them, since they were the ones who activated the Mass Shadow Generator in the final moments of the Malachor V battle.
Both of them hate the Jedi above everything else (maybe because the Jedi still have what was denied to them), bu they have a will of their own - when Traya attempts to use them against the Force itself, they turn on her and exile her (why they keep her alive remains a mytery...).
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#11 cirerrek

cirerrek
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

Well, I finished KOTOR2 last night.

-Ending-

Brought sufficient closure to be considered an ending.

I got the feeling from the tone of the writing that if there a next installment, it will be based on a new protagonist.

I found it mildly amusing that the Exile ended the game quite a bit more powerful than the vaunted Revan that I ended KOTOR 1 with.

The scriptwriters and the quality assurance personnel did not do a stellar job. They have software out there for screenplay writing that is supposed to help you keep track of all the twists and turns, so you don't end up contradicting later material with early material or visa versa, among other things. They should have used something other than Notepad!

My main beefs with the ending are:

1) When the Ebon Hawk crashed on Malachor V, it looked awfully battered to me. It was wedged between two pillars of stone!

I find it hard to believe that it would have been spaceworthy after such a 'landing'. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to the technical ability of Bao-Dur and the droids working double shifts to get it hammered back into shape, before the rock around it crumbled away magically freeing it.

2) Mira was thrown from the ship and lived! That is impressive!

Here is how I would have done it.

Assume the Ebon Hawk is a total wreck. And two of the NPCs are in critical conditon from the wreck. Bad enough that they are going to need a little more help than just some old fashioned force heal. The team explores the area and finds some of the downed Republic ships. One of which is in semi-serviceable conditon. You get your usual team of two NPCs and another team of NPcs is responsible for shuttling parts back and forth from the Ebon Hawk to the Republic Ship. The Storm Beasts would be set to respawn periodically in order to make this process difficult. And you've got time limit to get the med bay in the Republic ship back in working order or the two critical NPCs will die. So while the Exile and his/her team are off after Sion and Darth Traya, the other team members can be doing something constructive.

3) Go-To explains to the remote that he is not going to let the remote activate the mass shadow generator and yet, in the end the planet explode, which I must assume was a result of the mass shadow generator being activated. Would be nice if they had shown what had happened. As in The Little Remote That Could herocially gave its transistors to stun the Go-To bot and activate the generator before being blown to bits.

4) What happened to the infamous Force Bonds. We spent all game hearing about them and asking about them and yet in the end Darth Traya dies and you don't.

--Game Play revisited--

-Path finding-

The NPC path finding sucks. They are always getting in the way of each other or the Exile during a firefight. I typically use two of the NPCs that are proficent with ranged weapons, just so they don't get in the way of the Exile. (My brother just pointed out that Force Jump can can negate some of this problem).

I've noticed the NPCs standing around and doing nothing in combat. Actually Mandalore seems to do this the most often.

Occassionally the NPCs get lost, so you have to switch to them in order to figure out where they are, and then the rest of your party will run towards the lost party member(s). Yeah, you can switch to solo mode, but that gets pretty annoying, especially if more than one party memeber is lost.

--Items--

There are way too many high powered stat altering items in the game. I think between the circlet of Saresh (I ended up using a Force Focus Visor when I found one near the end of the game), the Ossus Keeper Robe, and a few other items, I had a Wisdom of 30 or so and my other stats weren't too shabby either. There should be a couple of uber items, but they should be dear to come by.

-Combat-

The pause after using a force attack power, before an Attack command is responeded to is quite long. This gives your melee party members plenty of time to get in your way. Grrrr!

I noticed that you could sort of get stuck in attack mode. When an enemy gets close, if you don't do issue a command, the game defaults to the basic attack. If this happens with a group of enemies you will wade in and start attacking, since it is a group, you probably want to clear them out with a force power like Force Wave, but if you kill the first enemy in one hit, then the game would queue up another basic attack before you could issue the command to use Force Wave, thus it would always end up behind the attack in the action queue, so the Force Wave wouldn't fire off until three combat rounds had passed. You can probably tweak this by playing with the Pause settings, but then the feel of real time combat suffers.

You can't use throw lightsaber when you are wielding a saber in each hand. Yeah, I know, it was that way in KOTOR 1, and I still find it annoying.

I like the switch weapon feature that they have added to KOTOR2.

I think Power Attack is supposed to knock back an enemy, but I don't recall it ever happening. If I repeat, I would go with Critical Stirke, because of the extra damage, and it routinely seems to stun an opponent.

--Features I'd like to see--

Okay, other than addressing all the stuff I've mentioned.

I'd like to be able to queue up attack sequences and defensive powers.

As in see enemy:

Defense:

Use a stimulant, use Melee Shield, Cast Master Speed

Attack:

Throw grenade, Use Force Push, Attack

or my personal favorite so I get a variety of attack animations

Critical Strike, Power Attack, Flurry

And I would like the ability to alter the attack sequence in the attack action queue.

Edited by cirerrek, 19 May 2005 - 10:01 PM.

#12 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:55 PM

Power attack will knock back an enemy if you roll a natural critical hit...or if you built a lightsabre with "keen" components, and score a 17-20 on a roll.

setting it up in autopause will give you the ability to control combat on a turn based system, which for many people, me included prefer over real time.

yeah, ai sucketh..and like yourself, i prefer my people in ranged mode...or jedi support is pretty good while my guardian slashed away... :devil:
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#13 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:42 AM

Spoilers alert!

The force bond with Traya is a scum, she simply lied to you. The Jedi Masters dropped you hints of that throughout the game.

I like the save-NPC with a time limit idea. It definitely gives a sense of urgency and is a more realistic approach than the current one.

Path-finding sucks, I agree. Its most of the time buggy or otherwise don't work at all, especially when they have queued actions and you changed their stance. Annoying.

#14 Efreet

Efreet
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

3) Go-To explains to the remote that he is not going to let the remote activate the mass shadow generator and yet, in the end the planet explode, which I must assume was a result of the mass shadow generator being activated. Would be nice if they had shown what had happened. As in The Little Remote That Could herocially gave its transistors to stun the Go-To bot and activate the generator before being blown to bits.

SPOILER

It was cut. According to the "Sith Lords Restoration Project" there is a sound file where HK47 comes to the rescue :w00t:

Edited by Efreet, 20 May 2005 - 08:51 AM.

Then she saw his eyes, red and mad as hell. And in that moment she knew that he could kill anyone, no matter how strong. Madness, true madness could put a fist through a plank.

#15 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

SPOILER

It was cut. According to the "Sith Lords Restoration Project" there is a sound file where HK47 comes to the rescue :w00t:

View Post

Well that's just... Scary.

- Yahtzee

#16 Athena

Athena

Tiny Terror/Lady Arien

• 369 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

Spoilers alert!

The force bond with Traya is a scum, she simply lied to you. The Jedi Masters dropped you hints of that throughout the game.

More spoilers....

The bond with Traya was another thing that suffered when Obsidian had to make cuts.
Originally, Master Vash was supposed to be alive (IIRC, she was on the droid planet, before that was cut, too) and she had some interesting information about Force bonds. Namely, that one way a bond could be broken is if one of the pair fell to the dark side. So Traya and the Exile did have a bond, but presumably it was severely weakened, possibly even severed, when she resumed her role as a Sith Lord.
I'm not sure how much I go for that theory, since it raises several irritating questions about both KOTOR games, but that's the explanation Obsidian gave. I do tend to believe that Traya strongly exaggerated the danger of the bond, but that's just my theory.

Vash's unused voice clips did ship with the game, so with the right tools and a little time it's possible to hear her conversations.

I will say this for K2--I thought the bond here was much improved over the bond with Bastila in the first game. :)

Edited by Athena, 20 May 2005 - 05:56 PM.

Six Mod --A golem. Of sorts.

"There was pain without hope of healing. There was life that refused to end, long after the mind had begged the body to cease. And worst, there were dreams come true." ~The Books of Blood

#17 cirerrek

cirerrek
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

Spoiler
-
-
-
-
-

I like the save-NPC with a time limit idea. It definitely gives a sense of urgency and is a more realistic approach than the current one.

Thanks :) I felt they missed a number opportunities like this to spice up the game with a sense of urgency.

But given all that they cut, it is not a wonder that they didn't take the time to tweak a few things to improve the overall story.

Yes, I suppose Kreia/Traya could have exaggerated the strength of the force bonds and she did have some access to your mind, so she could probably transmit the needed pain/fear to make her suggestion realistic.

I could see HK-47 blowing away Go-To. Hey what if in fact it wasn't the mass shadow generator that exploded, but rather it was Go-To? He kept threating to blow up the Ebon Hawk if you didn't do what he wanted and he claimed the explosion would be rather dramatic with permanent consequences.

Actually, I would have even liked seeing HK-47 doing something suitably nasty to Go-To :devil:

Well, off to play a little Starfarers of Catan.

#18 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

• 737 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:33 AM

I like the idea of Hk doing it, then legging it to the Ebon Hawk before the planet goes nova

#19 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:33 AM

I find it hard to believe that it would have been spaceworthy after such a 'landing'. I guess I'll have to chalk it up to the technical ability of Bao-Dur and the droids working double shifts to get it hammered back into shape, before the rock around it crumbled away magically freeing it.

SPOILER:

If you play evil, the Ebon Hawk falls into the depths. In this case the story suffers even more, since it is completely unclear how the other members of the crew survive the Ebon Hawks death - and they SURVIVE, that much is clear from Traya's stories about them.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#20 cirerrek

cirerrek
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

SPOILER:

If you play evil, the Ebon Hawk falls into the depths. In this case the story suffers even more, since it is completely unclear how the other members of the crew survive the Ebon Hawks death - and they SURVIVE, that much is clear from Traya's stories about them.

View Post

I think "before the rock around it crumbled away magically freeing it." and "the Ebon Hawk falls into the depths." roughly translates into the same thing.

The character I was playing ended just on the light side of neutral. (Who was to know that I was at point where I couldn't getting any more lightside points and maybe I shouldn't have encouraged some Onderonians to revolt in order to make HK-47 love me :devil:.)

I had a cutscene with the Ebon Hawk falling away into the Abyss, but then at the end it is rocketing away with you in it before the planet explodes/implodes (hard to tell from the movie).