Vampire Kit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

I think if you introduce a new kit, called a "Vampire" (so it looks like Valen has a seperate class), that would be nice. It should be a thief kit coupled with some AD&D vampiric abilities and necromancy spells as innates (ie Animate Dead, Charm Person, Skulltrap, Wraithform, Polymorph Self, etc.).

Andyr has done something similar in his Elai shade NPC mod, except that it deals with shadows rather than vampires.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#2 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

Eh, that wouldn't make the most sense, considering that her race is Vampire. But actually, she could simply be seen as a class-less vampire. Or is that what you meant?

#3 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

Eh, that wouldn't make the most sense, considering that her race is Vampire.

Really, how did Wes manage that? (I have never looked at Valen at all.)

What I mean is, in BG2 you cannot have "Vampire" display as a NPC's race, therefore I assume Valen's race is displayed as "Human." What Galactygon would like (and I'd tend to agree) is a new Vampire thief kit so she'd get have "Vampire" displayed somewhere in her character sheet.

#4 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

I think if you introduce a new kit, called a "Vampire" (so it looks like Valen has a seperate class), that would be nice. It should be a thief kit coupled with some AD&D vampiric abilities and necromancy spells as innates (ie Animate Dead, Charm Person, Skulltrap, Wraithform, Polymorph Self, etc.).

Andyr has done something similar in his Elai shade NPC mod, except that it deals with shadows rather than vampires.

I'll certainly take a look at Elai. I had considered tying Valen's vampire powers to a customized NPC kit but that would preclude her being an assassin or some other existing kit that I may offer as an option.

I think the best bet is to tie the vampire abilites to an undroppable item as Wes Weimer has already done.

Eh, that wouldn't make the most sense, considering that her race is Vampire.

Really, how did Wes manage that? (I have never looked at Valen at all.)

What I mean is, in BG2 you cannot have "Vampire" display as a NPC's race, therefore I assume Valen's race is displayed as "Human." What Galactygon would like (and I'd tend to agree) is a new Vampire thief kit so she'd get have "Vampire" displayed somewhere in her character sheet.

Valen's race is displayed as "Vampire" on the character sheet.

Edited by Thorium Dragon, 06 June 2005 - 06:21 AM.

Mod in Progress: Valen Expansion

#5 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

Just ignore me then.

#6 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

Just ignore me then.

No problem. "Learn something new every day", right? :thumb:

#7 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

Actually, her character sheet's race classification was blank, but I just said that she was a vampire 'cause she is a vampire. Yes, confusing be these sheets of characters. :huh:

#8 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:39 PM

Actually, her character sheet's race classification was blank, but I just said that she was a vampire 'cause she is a vampire. Yes, confusing be these  sheets of characters. :huh:

You are right, Togashi.

I stand corrected, Idobek.

Her race variable (viewable in ShadowKeeper) is designated as "Vampire" and the game will respond to this flag, such as in an NPC script, but does not show up on the character screen.

#9 Lord-Jyssev

Lord-Jyssev

LĪJ

• 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

How would you make it appear in the game?

Edited by Thorium Dragon, 13 June 2005 - 05:04 PM.

#10 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

It's unfortunately hardcoded.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#11 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

Vampire is NOT a race, but a condition! Her character sheet should state her race, if anything, her class is fighter/thief.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#12 Lord-Jyssev

Lord-Jyssev

LĪJ

• 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

It's unfortunately hardcoded.

-Galactygon

drat!

#13 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:03 PM

Vampire is NOT a race, but a condition!  Her character sheet should state her race, if anything, her class is fighter/thief.

True.

Ideally, the game should treat vampirism as a state applied to a character in the same mechanism as a "fallen" paladin or ranger- the state is applied and the character's abilities change accordingly.

However, the original designers never imagined vampires as playable characters or NPCs, so it served thier purposes to flag it as a monster race.

#14 Lord-Jyssev

Lord-Jyssev

LĪJ

• 451 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

maybe it could have it's own special effect icon instead of being a "kit"...

#15 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

For information about creating (read: simulating) new races.. I think you might want to have a quick squiz at this :)

#16 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:11 AM

That's no use at all. The issue here is that "Vampire" will not show up on a character record sheet as a character's race. This is hardcoded. The only way to change it is to replace one of the current playable races (or tiefling).

The other way to do things is to have Valen be a human and give her a Vampire kit. Then her vampirism would be a condition. Now we'd have to change all scripts that specifically affect the vampire to also affect the vampire kit. Most probably affect undead anyway, so it might not be too hard to do (mass patching of this kind is possible using WeiDU). If there are any vampire specific items and spells then there could be a problem--I'm not sure they can detect kits.

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

Unnecessary. Do you really need this sort of confirmation or alteration at the expense of how much longer it's gonna take? You know she's a vampire, why bother wasting time to get the game to point out something you know.

#18 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:10 AM

Game immersion?

The fact that it's details like these which make a mod that much better?

I also doubt it'd take particularly long time.

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

I don't see one piece of text particularily immersing. I just feel the time could be better spent on other things that need work first.

#20 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

I don't recall anybody saying this should be a priority. I'm sure everybody agrees that the main body of the mod should be completed first.