Forum bug reports

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#61 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

Is the return of the Portalis forums a bug or a feature?

Also, is the lack of any visible posts on Infinity Engine Modding News (despite a clear "Latest Post Info" on the index) a bug, or a feature of some new prestigious membergroup I've been assigned to?

#62 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

Is the return of the Portalis forums a bug or a feature?

Also, is the lack of any visible posts on Infinity Engine Modding News (despite a clear "Latest Post Info" on the index) a bug, or a feature of some new prestigious membergroup I've been assigned to?

Both bugs, both fixed :).

#63 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

Let's see if we can go three-for-three, then:

The removal of the original poster's name from the news items you're syndicating from G3: bug or feature?

Edited by jcompton, 27 October 2005 - 02:29 PM.

#64 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:34 PM

Feature. Two out of three isn't bad ;).

#65 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

Feature.

I disagree. I'd disagree with a link, but the URL tag doesn't seem to be working properly.

Edited by jcompton, 27 October 2005 - 02:38 PM.

#66 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:48 PM

I'm not sure it's possible to keep the original poster, but I have to say I haven't experimented.

Is something wrong with url tags? They seem to work for me. Example Link

#67 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:57 PM

I can't replicate it, perhaps it was a mistake I was making at the time.

#68 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

... Why don't we have ad banners for our mods like PPG? I think it would help promote the mods. If there is a good reason not to then nevermind.

PPG runs banners for Studios mods too, so just running your own banners would be closer to BlackWyrm's example I think.

Incidentally, my opinion on the forum upgrade stands as follows:
<SlidMang0> Why the hell should I have to scroll past a million fucking smilies to find the post button? Is this skin designed for people with unusually elongated monitors?
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#69 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:17 PM

Ah, I knew there was something I had forgotten ;). Thanks, and check in a few minutes.

#70 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

Smilies now fit the window. There are also fewer, which can still be accessed by clicking the Show All button.

#71 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:33 AM

Minor bug : on a thread with both members and guests, the left cell of guest's post is smaller than the left cell of a member's post.

Example : http://www.shsforums...showtopic=17613
Post number 4
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#72 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:51 AM

The removal of the original poster's name from the news items you're syndicating from G3: bug or feature?

If you take a close look on the RSS feed, you'll notice that the original poster's name isn't preserved anywhere in the feed. Therefore, it would be impossible import information from a feed that doesn't exist.

It's not a bug, nor a feature, it's just not possible.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#73 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:46 AM

I still think electric chair is not funny. Anybody who can point me to the origin of this forum title?
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#74 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:50 AM

If you take a close look on the RSS feed, you'll notice that the original poster's name isn't preserved anywhere in the feed. Therefore, it would be impossible import information from a feed that doesn't exist.

It's not a bug, nor a feature, it's just not possible.

That was fairly dumb on my part. Every item now has a <dc:creator> tag with the author's name.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#75 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:42 AM

Good job on renovating, guys! I am glad that you have resolved all the problems and the forum is up and running again.

I have a few purely aestetical questions, however, and I appologize in advance if that is the wrong thread, but I could not find a better place for it.

1) Is there an option to customize the forum colors, and if so, how could it be reached by an individual user?
2) Is there a mechanism to change the default forum Member tag?
3) Are you planning to make the banner narrower, perhaps by shifting the text and the circle with ShS to the right, empty portion of the banner field? The banner now takes up way too much space, I think, and it is not very appealing (in my humble opinion).
4) Under the member's name there is a tag 'card'. I thought it was an option to send a greeting card, or something, but it just access the profile. It maybe a bit of a confusing title.

Sorry about these silly questions, but I usually like to customize forums to be pleasing to my eyes.

Edited by Ashara, 28 October 2005 - 05:43 AM.

#76 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

Is the ShS ball next to each forum supposed to indicate new posts? If it is, it's either:

- Not working.

or:

- Working like shit.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#77 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

The New Posts buttons work for me, but they seem to be a bit different from the way they used to work, which was really suckily. Instead of visiting the page, reading half of it, closing the window, and coming back later to finish it off and not knowing which posts are unread because it assumes you read them all, it now keeps track of what you have and haven't read. Except it thinks I haven't read any posts in any forums until I mark them all as read.

#78 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

Has anyone else got the clicks? When I clicked to come into this forum I went through about 20 audible click noises before it opened.

If this helps any: while the clicks where going on the status bar was alternating in time with the clicks between these to messages:

Opening: http://www.shsforums...40 (or at least this is where it ended up the was changing so fast it was hard to see if the other links were redirections or this one)

and

Done.

I could turn my speakers off but then how would I hear Metallica? :)

Edit: it happened again while editing this post!

Edited by Rabain, 28 October 2005 - 11:30 AM.

A knight without armour in a savage land...

#79 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

1) Is there an option to customize the forum colors, and if so, how could it be reached by an individual user?

Unfortunately not at the moment. I might get around to adding more skins at a later time, but I can't really say when that will be, if it happens.

2) Is there a mechanism to change the default forum Member tag?

I'm not quite sure what you mean with "Member tag". :)

3) Are you planning to make the banner narrower, perhaps by shifting the text and the circle with ShS to the right, empty portion of the banner field? The banner now takes up way too much space, I think, and it is not very appealing (in my humble opinion).

It's unfortunately not possible to move contents of the banner to the right, since the board is dynamical in width (depending on each visitor's screen resolution), which means that there's an added tile to fill the space to the right. The banner in itself isn't more than 491 pixels wide. As for its height, well... it's not much higher than the old one.

As for it's appeal, that's one of the "you can't please everyone"-situations we run across every now and then. I've heard lots of positive comments on it as well - more than negative. I personally like it quite a lot.

4) Under the member's name there is a tag 'card'. I thought it was an option to send a greeting card, or something, but it just access the profile. It maybe a bit of a confusing title.

Good point. I'll see if I can change it to 'info' or something later on. :)

The New Posts buttons work for me, but they seem to be a bit different from the way they used to work, which was really suckily. Instead of visiting the page, reading half of it, closing the window, and coming back later to finish it off and not knowing which posts are unread because it assumes you read them all, it now keeps track of what you have and haven't read. Except it thinks I haven't read any posts in any forums until I mark them all as read.

It's a bit different than before, yes. The new system is a feature in IPB 2.1, and might take some time to get used to for people more familiar with the old and less functional system.

Has anyone else got the clicks? When I clicked to come into this forum I went through about 20 audible click noises before it opened.

This is very difficult for me to reproduce, since I don't hear any clicks at all...

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#80 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:47 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean with "Member tag". :)

I, personally, feel quite uncomfortable with a tag "deviant" in my profile. Frankly, I feel insulted, the way I felt insulted when I had a tag "apprentice" over at the Attic, or "meatbag" over at the CoM. Just the way I feel insulted when I see a dismissing smiley in an answer on a serious and polite question, but I seem to have mentioned it over at PPG already.