Photo

Realistic Baldur's Gate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

I know Baldur's Gate is a huge and complex game but I have to admit that it still lacks dynamics.
For example, playing evil is unsatisfactory: knocking out the locals and robbing them won't hurt Anything of your power (unless their trust, which will be red, but who cares...) In real life, most of that neighbourhood would have attacked you in angry mobs if you came back -- depending on alignments.

So, I'd just give suggestions on how to make BG better and more immersive -- tho some may not be possible '\OVERRIDE'-wise:
- to make citizens walk to work/to the taverns/etc. as real people. Not to stare at the roof all day;
- limited shopkeeper money and a dynamic replenishing stock. I know this might annoy rushing players, but it works better for roleplaying -- you'll value evil bounties more than before;
- smarter AI, tho this has been included in other modifications. However I'm bolding it, cuz BIG monsters were just too easy to defeat thanks to their huge stupidity to cheezy spells (cloudkill and all;)
- to allow the weaker opponents (esp. bounties) to surrender to your sword and submit (rebuttal: you're a child of Murder; but still.) Hunted for money victims may follow you like Frennedan(sp?) everywhere if you tell them to; even across areas. They may also attack you however.
I think you get the picture. Unfortunately it may sound like a BG junky project (by only improving replayability, not expanding it,) however, if such things could be generalized, it would be much better.

#2 Little Dragon

Little Dragon

Die Gedanken sind frei

• 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

- limited shopkeeper money and a dynamic replenishing stock. I know this might annoy rushing players, but it works better for roleplaying -- you'll value evil bounties more than before;

In regards to making shopkeepers more realistic-if you kill a merchant you should be able to steal their entire inventory. Evil will never have money problems. :lol: Wouldn't really work in terms of challenging gameplay, though.
"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22"
Joseph Heller, Catch-22 (1955)

#3 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:32 AM

Evil will never have money problems.  :lol: Wouldn't really work in terms of challenging gameplay, though.

View Post

But they'll also have reputation problems <_< A simple despicable scoundrel would easily be impaled. To gain experience you have to be smooth - not to kill and bludgeon. If that's so, you'll be dead when you quit the shelter.

#4 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

Actually, this sounds like an excellent idea. I like it.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#5 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

Killing merchants should give you all his/her inventory. and any merchant you meet in the same city will run away from you in fear...so you gotta go outa town to sell loot...

you should be able to bully good characters into joining party...like aerie will be definately easily threatened...

me: we need a cleric. you're coming with us...

aerie, shaking in fear: o-o-kay....

but certain ones like mazzy will die rather than join you. B)
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#6 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

aerie, shaking in fear: o-o-kay....

The problem with that is when you meet Aerie she is in the Circus, her Uncle Quayle is there and we can assume some friends too. She doesn't know the PC or their reputation...why should she feel bullied? If you attempt to flex your muscle, she screams and you get attacked not only by the circus freaks but by every guard in the Promenade and possibly draw the attention of the Cowled Wizards...nice!

I don't think bullying will work for the purposes of getting someone to join your party.

Killing merchants to gain access to their inventory would only work on perhaps the first one or two then the others would start hiring more guards, petitioning the authorities for more vigilance etc Also how do you move a whole shop worth of stolen goods? ....to be realistic even a fence (like Roger) should stop at a certain stage due to lack of funds or fear of being caught with the stolen goods.

You arrive in trademeet with 100 swords, 50 sets of armour, 500 arrows etc etc and no one is suspicious? Even the most succesful of merchants should never buy this much stuff from a stranger, it would put him on bad terms with his regular suppliers.

Of course the game would allow most of the above...but it shouldn't! :)
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#7 Torn

Torn
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

A lot of new evil options will be added to the game via the Mod for the Wicked. If you have any suggestions in that particular field, come to our forum; we always welcome new ideas :).