Strange installation activity + dialogue problems

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:50 AM

I've installed BP and CtB on my system. When I ran the setup.exe files for some smaller mods (weimar's upgrades, imoen romance, etc.) however, it appeared that CtB was reinstalling itself automatically. Will this affect my game? Should I just delete CtB's setup application before running these other ones?

the reason I'm writing is because I'm hitting a lot of problems in my game. While BP and CtB should be compatible, I'm constantly getting the "X can't talk right now. X appears to be busy" message. I do have the patch installed.

i'd really like any help on this! Thanks!

#2 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:55 AM

It looks very much like something went horribly wrong when you installed CtB. I never had the problem with CtB reinstalling itself after my BP-BGT-NeJ installation. Does CtB report any errors when it installs or does it install successfully? My best guess is to start again and see if the problem occurs again.

#3 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

Just two things:

1) Yes, I fear it is no good thing if CtB reinstalls itself :(
2) The cause for CtB reinstalling could be that you had installed one of the smaller mods before CtB and are now going to 'alter' that smaller one. In such a case WeiDU automatically uninstalls all mods that were installed after the mod you are altering, applies your alterations and then reinstalls all other mods.

Btw: The latter is one of the reasons why the 'wise men' say: Install the large mods before the small ones B)

Maybe this helps a tiny little bit,

Yacomo

#4 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:27 AM

Thanks! I didn't realize that weidu would do that. I don't think any other problems occurred with the installation. Well, looks like it's time to reinstall everything. *sigh*

#5 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

Always install game patches first, then huge mods, than big mods, and finally the minis, i.e. items, tweaks, NPCs. In the case of CtB, many core game files are modified. Therefore, installing anything beforehand may get broken by CtB. Only the other big mods (TDD, SoS, BP) work well when installed before CtB because the CtB installer checks for them and makes sure it updates their versions of the core files. Well, in theory...

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#6 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:20 AM

Hmm...are there any small mods or parts of small mods that, while compatible with BP, I shouldn't install if I want to also play CtB? Or just loading them up after CtB should be (mostly) fine?

Thanks again for all the help. This has been really useful.

#7 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

I haven't heard of a mod that works with BP but not with CtB.

Classic Adventures

#8 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I've reinstalled everything and my original dialogue problems have gone away.

Now, however, I am unable to enter the Druid's Grove and Windspear Hills areas. During area loading, I hear a warning from Windows and the game crashes.

Is there a way to move the area files from my install CDs only my C: drive? Or will that screw things up?

Help! :)

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:26 AM

I suspect that something from CtB was added to those areas. You may have had another bad install. Can you post the Weidu.log file here to we can see the order of your install? Not a DEBUG file, just the log.

Classic Adventures

#10 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the response!

Weidu log file? How do I grab it off my system?

I suspect that something from CtB was added to those areas.  You may have had another bad install.  Can you post the Weidu.log file here to we can see the order of your install? Not a DEBUG file, just the log.

View Post

#11 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

Look in your SoA folder. It is just a text file, Notepad can open it.

Classic Adventures

#12 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the post, Sir BillyBob. You've been such a great help. I'm sorry for all the questions.

As requested, here's the weidu log file. You know, I realized that after uninstalling everything, I still had a folder called script compiler in the BG2 directory. That probably should have been deleted, huh?

In any event, thanks again!

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // Component Name
~SETUP-NEJ.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey v1.3h
~SETUP-NEJ.TP2~ #0 #1 // Continuous and Custom Kit Imoen
~SETUP-NEJ.TP2~ #0 #2 // Now for the decompression of area .tis and sound files. You MUST install this for the mod to work. This will take a while so don't panic!
~SETUP-BPNEJ.TP2~ #0 #0 // Big Picture patch for Neverending Journey weidu
~SETUP-BPNEJ.TP2~ #0 #1 // Do you wish to replace the Human Fighter Kit Guardian with the NEJ Moonknight?
~SETUP-NEJFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey v1.4 Patch
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Install BP s_&_h Patch version 6
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #1 // BP Nerfs: Based upon Hlidskialf's Nerf scripts, this component reduces the difficulty of some of the more troublesome creatures.
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #2 // NEJ-specific fixes
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #3 // Sureblade Nerf: Downgrades Rolf's sword to something more manageable
~SETUP-CHECKTHEBODIES V150.TP2~ #0 #2 // Check The Bodies for Baldur's Gate II (SoA & ToB) v 150
~SETUP-CHECKTHEBODIES V150.TP2~ #0 #3 // Check The Bodies optional music component.
~SETUP-CTB_FF.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check the Bodies Fast Forward?
~SETUP-FR_ROV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Freedom's Reign (SoA or ToB)
~SETUP-FR_ROV.TP2~ #0 #1 // Reign of Virtue (ToB)
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinite Weapon, Potion and Ring/Amulet Stacking
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Unlimited Bag of Holding (Blucher)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix
~IMOEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // 'Imoen Romance Add-on Mod BG2:SoA(ToB required!)v1.201'

#13 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:23 PM

You have to have the script compiler folder. Leave it alone.

Let's see here.

CtB Optional Music - No, do not install if playing BGT-BP, is okay if just playing BP.

Other than that, I don't see any possible conflicts or problems.

Anyone else? :(

Classic Adventures

#14 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:39 AM

I did a fresh install this past weekend, and BP sets-up fine. (I CLUA'ed to some areas, and it worked fine for BP, but not after I installed CtB.) Well, for now, I'm just going to start playing. :-) I'll pop in CtB once I've gone through BP.

Thanks again for your help!

#15 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:01 AM

Oh, just one more thing. I noticed in another post that recommended removing the space between "bodies" and "v150" in both the exe and tp2 files. I haven't noticed any problems in my installation, but is it worthwhile to try that one more time, or does it have nothing to do with the problems I'm encountering?

Thanks again!

#16 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

I don't think it does but I also removed that space before installing. Couldn't hurt to try it. Just remember that CtB doesn't uninstall worth a crap. You will have to rebuild. Easy solution is to take your current working directory of SOA and make a copy of the directory. If the CtB install fails on the SOA folder, just delete the whole folder and move the original back.

Classic Adventures

#17 --Silverstar--

--Silverstar--

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:05 AM

Tried it with the adjusted file names, but same problem still. I give up. Time to play BP!

Thanks for your help!

#18 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

:WTF: I just loaded the CtB Mod with some difficulty. I had to repair a couple of parsing errors where the (~) was missing at the end of both the CB3661.ARE lines in the v150.TP2 file.

After that was repaired, the mod updated all the WeiDu versions to version 177. Then when I rand the Setup-CheckTheBodies.exe the installation would error out with
Error: No translation provided for @6610118
Error: [checkbod/items/tranlate/CBMIELIK.ITM -> [override/CBMIELIK.ITM patching failed <COPY> <NOT FOUND>
Stopping Installation because of error.

At which point I located the line in the .TP2 file that referenced the particular file and deleted it. After that, the mod appeared to load just fine, however now when going thru Candlekeep I keep running into the problem of not being able to initiate dialog with the NPC's. I ran the 26498 patch to resolve the dialogue issue, but now I can not see anything in the dialogue boxes when I talk to the NPC's.

Any clues where to go from here? If anyone wants to email me some clues, my email is cnourse@cfaith.com

Thanks for the help.

:angry: :angry:

It takes a village...

#19 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

:WTF: I just loaded the CtB Mod with some difficulty. I had to repair a couple of parsing errors where the (~) was missing at the end of both the CB3661.ARE lines in the v150.TP2 file.

After that was repaired, the mod updated all the WeiDu versions to version 177. Then when I rand the Setup-CheckTheBodies.exe the installation would error out with
Error: No translation provided for @6610118
Error: [checkbod/items/tranlate/CBMIELIK.ITM -> [override/CBMIELIK.ITM patching failed <COPY> <NOT FOUND>
Stopping Installation because of error.

At which point I located the line in the .TP2 file that referenced the particular file and deleted it. After that, the mod appeared to load just fine, however now when going thru Candlekeep I keep running into the problem of not being able to initiate dialog with the NPC's. I ran the 26498 patch to resolve the dialogue issue, but now I can not see anything in the dialogue boxes when I talk to the NPC's.

Any clues where to go from here? If anyone wants to email me some clues, my email is cnourse@cfaith.com

Thanks for the help.

:angry:  :angry:

View Post

Hey, no need to be angry, after all CBisson made CtB available for free :devil:

There is a fixed tp2 posted on top of this forum, maybe this helps ;) Keep in mind that you'll have to install from scratch, I've heard several complaints that CtBs uninstaller is not working as it should :(

Have fun,

Yacomo