Translation into another language

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:15 AM

Hi, I'm a german translator and would like to translate BP-BGT-DSotSC into german. This would be much more easier if you would use TRA Translation files instead of the hard coded D Files. Would you please do the favour at further updates of the WeiDu formatted mods? Thank you for your understanding!

#2 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

I wouldn't consider the D file as being "hard" coded. At least not when compared to the old way of copying the whole dialog.tlk file.

None of my mods have been packaged with a TRA file because no one ever volunteered to translate any of them. Which for a mod as old as DSotSC never made sense to me. But anyway, you do realize that unless BGT-Weidu is converted first, only the actual new text from DSotSC would be in German? That means about 90% of your mod is in English. To me it would be more logical to convert BGT-Weidu first, then the smaller mods. Yes, I will plan for that option in the future.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#3 weigo

weigo
  • Modder
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:43 AM

Hi,
the german translation for the new BGT-Weidu is still in development. It will be finished in the next few weeks. (I don't know exectly when)
So, it would make sense to translate DSotSC into another language. The Chosen of Mystra version of DSotSC is still translated to german. So we could use that translation as a basis for the BGT version.

I compared the Dialog files and only five files have few different entries.
I lokalised the items, both version uses and we have to copy the translation for that items into the setup.tra file.
And the next step is to compare the .spl files.

I hope it's OK for you, that I still changed the files for translation. :blush:
If you need the tra and the tp2 files Sir BillyBob, I can send you.

Modification:

BP-BGT-Worldmap-v6.6 (Download)

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 04:24 AM

I would gladly add any translations to the package. I tried to mess with TRA files back when I first played with Weidu and I kept getting errors. So I never tried them again. One is used in BoneHill for the talking sword. That took me weeks to figure out. I suspect it wouldn't be as hard anymore. Starting to get used to this goofy proggy.

Some of the item descriptions should be different from CoM, I downgraded some of the +4 weapons to +2 or +3. The history of the item should match between us though. Weigo, are you saying you have already translated everything? If so, sure, send it and I will post up a 1.71 version (small update folks!) that has both languages.

Anyone working on NTotSC???

Classic Adventures

#5 weigo

weigo
  • Modder
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

No, I'm not finished with all the translation. I want to finish first the BGT-Weidu Project.
So we still need more time to translate DSotSC. :(

I don't know, if someone is working on NTotSC. But if Leonardo is interested in translation, I can send him the .tra files.

Modification:

#6 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

Of course I'm interested. Please send me the files!
leonardo_watson@yahoo.de

How far are you with the BGT-WeiDu? Have you translated version 0.94 or version 0.99, which has much more text.

My aim is the complete translation of the whole "monster", that means BP-BGT-SoS-TDD-TS-NEJ-CtB-DSotSC-NTotSC-SoBH. Maybe some further mods in the future. Something is done, much is to do.

What's about so much deleted lines in BGT-Weidu v.99? Are the missing lines coming with the next update?

#7 weigo

weigo
  • Modder
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

@Leonardo Watson
I sent you a PM on the Baldur's Gate Forum with the Link for the NTotSC files.

I translate the BGTv0.99b3. But its the wrong topic here.

Modification:

#8 Serdrick

Serdrick
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

Hi!
First, I apologize for not so good English.
I have prepared for translation NTotSC4BGT_V132 and BoneHill4BGTv195 as now some person translate them on Russian. These are simple patches for the current versions mods. In them contain all changed files, necessary for getting multi-language version of these mods. Besides for that, was taken all text lines from *.baf files, and now they too can be translated. I have checked up all this at installation in BGT099b4, all is correct (and log files too are correct). Besides for that, I have decompiling some scripts(from modify .baf files) from this mods, to check up correctness of their compilation. All too is correct. I hope, that all this will be used in the following versions of these mods. Besides small patch for DSotSC_V172 which contains taken of *.baf files text lines, and corrected DSFORDRG.baf file.

Attached Files

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

Thanks, I think. Unfortunately, I am already wrapping up BoneHill version 2.0. I have several dialog updates. This may not make it into your language's updates. I will have to look at what I have changed and see if I can just post the updates here for you to look at. Minor changes really and most are actually the conditions and actions, not the text itself. This may be perfect timing from you since I haven't uploaded BoneHill yet.

DSotSC has the fixed dragon script now. So I will make sure that gets included as well. I can't remember any other updates.

I will work on uploading a small patch update for DS and NT so players don't have to download another big package. Thanks again for the great work!

Classic Adventures

#10 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

I have to tell u that polish players are waiting on retranslation dsotsc/ntotsc....I think I won't handle it...but if in the future will be some TRA files instead of *.D it would be nice to know about it.

#11 Serdrick

Serdrick
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

If it is necessary, I am ready to assist in release multi-language version BoneHill2.0.

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

If it is necessary, I am ready to assist in release multi-language version BoneHill2.0.

It will be necessary but after I upload 2.0. You need to see the redesigned TP2 file. Both Tutu and BGT are built into this version. I just finished it and I was looking at your code. There would be several large gaps in the Russian version because of the changes I just did. It would only be to the TP2 and a few dialog/script files. In fact, I don't think the scripts would be effected at all.

The only problem with language translations is that if I make a text change, you guys would either need access to the updates before I post them, or I would have to keep reposting updates after you make the language changes.

I still have some small updates I plan to make to BH. There is a quest that doesn't happen and I think I need to make sure everything in Garrotten wraps up cleanly when you are ready to leave town. I think it does but I need more players to go through it all. I can't believe no one has had a big bug in BH for months now.

The advantage to DSotSC is that I haven't had to fix a dialog's text in months, just items effects, scripts, and area issues. NTotSC was already in Polish originally, so why can't it be converted back? It wasn't a Weidu file however so is that your problem?

Weigo, any chance of a German translation of BH please?

Classic Adventures

#13 Serdrick

Serdrick
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:17 AM

OK, I shall wait, when you will make upload 2.0

#14 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

SBB...I don't have NTotSC for BG1 only...and even if I would have it still would take a LOTs more time to retranslate it...as it is totally non-weidu from my knowledge
and also there were some changes to make it compatible with BG1NPC...IMO it would be easier to retranslate english->polish than export the original polish and implement to the new version...there are NOT so many dialogs there...or maybe I am wrong?

#15 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

The translation to English was not the best available. I have cleaned up, rewritten, and otherwise changed several of the dialogs in the mod. You will see them all in the D directory under NTotSC. There are not many. What I wasn't sure of is would it be easier for you to install the original and extract the dialogs using DLTCEP or is it easier to take my text and convert it back to Polish? I am afraid that you may loose something in the double translation. Also, pulling from the original may let you find out what I may have translated incorrectly.

How I convert a TBG mod (non-Weidu) mod to a Weidu mod is to install it, and see what new files get installed. Then extract them and their assigned string references. The hardest part is what you all are still finding, bugs in the item effects, spells that don't work correct, or areas that still have issues. Normally this is caused by taking any BG1 file and trying to make it work on the BG2 engine. Most work fine, some don't work at all. There are definitely differences in how the two engines worked with ITM, SPL, and EFF files.

Classic Adventures

#16 weigo

weigo
  • Modder
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

Weigo, any chance of a German translation of BH please?

View Post

I can try to make a translation, but the next month I have a lot of work in real life, because I changed my working place.
For a translation it would be a good thing to have the new 2.0 version of SoBH.

Modification:

#17 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

Working on it. The file is 213MB so it takes me awhile to upload. Should be done in the next 24 hours. Then I just need TheWizard to push it out there.

Classic Adventures

#18 Serdrick

Serdrick
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

It is patch for multi-language version of SecretOfBoneHill200. I have checked up its installation in BGT099b4, all is correct, but I can not check up it in Tutu, as this mod at me is not installed.

Attached Files

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

That is okay, I can fix the D files to match the BGT ones. The compiled scripts that are different between the versions have no text in them so they are unaffected by a translation. Thanks for posting this.

Classic Adventures

#20 weigo

weigo
  • Modder
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

Good work Serdrick. :D
I wanted to ask you, if you would make a multi-language version, but you were faster than I thought. :coolthumb:

Modification: