• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:39 AM

First off, it it has not been said, thank you for creating it. It is a wonderful resource and one of my favorite websites.

I was wondering if a sub-category might be made for the games, the "joke mod" category. There are a few jokes on there, and some of them can really hose your game. They might be fun, but the last thing we want is a new mod-user giving up on the community and mods because of one joke mod.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#2 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

I am not sure how frequently Ice visits the boards these days (he is pretty busy), so you might have more luck PMing him at PPG or G3.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#3 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

I think it's really for the best if you don't ask us to start classifying which mods we consider to be jokes.

#4 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

Where is his list at?

ronin

#5 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:21 AM

I think it's really for the best if you don't ask us to start classifying which mods we consider to be jokes.

View Post

Well, talk about totally shooting down a compliment. All MTS was asking for was a new category.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#6 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:33 AM

Where is his list at?

http://modlist.pocketplane.net

Well, talk about totally shooting down a compliment. All MTS was asking for was a new category.

You, of all people, should appreciate the dangers of subjectivity.

#7 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

Oh...that modlist...geez now I feel really stupid asking the question I asked before...thats one of my favorite bookmarks.

ronin

#8 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

One can add one's own entries to the modlist, which is what makes it so wonderful.  There isn't one specific person on which the burden for keeping it updated lies.

Then again, there is something to be said for not listing terrible mods.  (Yes, I'm aware Goo is on there. :) )

View Post

As said above, people would add their own. Not asking the moderators to move mods. :)

#9 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Yes, but keeping the modlist properly organized is part of the territory. If someone adds a mod to the PST section when it is in fact an Icewind Dale romance, then we would of course move it.

Similarly, if someone submitted a mod that we concluded was a joke to a non-joke area, we would have to move it to the joke area. This would then result in mass hysteria and rioting.

#10 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

People do tend to throw fits when things happen they don't like.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

While I fully agree that it'd be helpful to indicate to users which mods are properly lasting content and which are of limited comedy value, the fundamental problem is that, for example, igi regularly makes a huge fuss when somebody explains that GbG is a joke mod, and we'd rather not give him more material to gain attention with.

#12 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

I'd assume that mods would only be placed in the joke category if the author requested it.

#13 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

And at any rate, we're not adding a "joke" category, voluntary or compulsory. Yes, I do think it's a shame when people are put off of modding, but this is why there are also resources which review mods or offer individual recommendations, and why the free and open discussion of mod quality and mod recommendations should be encouraged rather than restricted and censored.

Rest assured, we do agonize from time to time over whether we would be justified to append "For Chrissake, don't download this!" to some mod descriptions.

#14 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:02 PM

Hmmm... perhaps add a user rating system, or something? While it may not filter out all the bad stuff, it'd warn for the terrible ones out there.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#15 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

It could be helpful if there were a review or two attached to each mod, I suppose. The problem is that such reviews tend to be of "praise" nature, instead of concentrating on bugs, inconcistency with the game content and other problematic issues. I fail to see how it can be encouraged, however: the only full NPC mods review I have seen was at ironworks.com, and, as I recall, it provoked a good deal of hostility. As for the quest/kit mods, the information is sorely lacking. The issue is the same: too often, critique is perceived as personal offence of the modder in question.

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:37 PM

I'd assume that mods would only be placed in the joke category if the author requested it.

Then, alas, the whole concept falls down because people choose to spoil it.

#17 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:45 AM

It could be helpful if there were a review or two attached to each mod, I suppose. The problem is that such reviews tend to be of "praise" nature, instead of concentrating on bugs, inconcistency with the game content and other problematic issues.

When TeamBG started its modlist, there were review sections for many of the mods. There should be at least a rating for each of the mods, since many people would be too lazy/have little time for full-fledged reviews.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#18 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

I am against plain rating, actually, because very much of it is a matter of taste, especially mods concentrating on writing. Concerning NPC's, some people like action text, some do not. Some like explicit sex scene descriptions, some do not. Some like jokes, some do not. The list could go on endlessly, and people would never agree on anything. So, a review, even a two-paragraph review, would be more helpful to a player, in my opinion.

Edited by Kulyok, 10 October 2005 - 09:16 AM.

#19 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:20 AM

Both should be fine. While opinions vary a great deal, they have a tendency to recognize quality work.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#20 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

It could be helpful if there were a review or two attached to each mod, I suppose. The problem is that such reviews tend to be of "praise" nature, instead of concentrating on bugs, inconcistency with the game content and other problematic issues.

When TeamBG started its modlist, there were review sections for many of the mods. There should be at least a rating for each of the mods, since many people would be too lazy/have little time for full-fledged reviews.

-Galactygon

View Post

I agree, a public rating system would be nice. Would help seperating the good mods from the not-so-good mods.

Unless touchy people would disagree, but since when has PPG being touchy-feely?

(That was not a crack on PPG)
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.