Who is Brythe?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Shfelliot

Shfelliot
  • Modder
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:37 PM

You walk into the Slums District of Athkatla in some faint hopes of making some sense of your current situation as the Child of Bhaal. And this whole Irenicus mess is enough to make your head spin. He took your sister, too. Bastard.

After making your way through some of the darker corners of this section of town, you find an alley you haven't noticed before. Heck, it probably wouldn't have been noticed if you weren't trying to find something like it. You're an adventurer, after all, and you know for a fact you never know what you might find in those out-of-the-ways places.

As it goes, there is something there. Or rather, a someone in a long brown cloak, standing on a slightly elevated wood platform. Why he would be standing here of all places does seem a bit odd, but you gather the general feeling he's probably someone who doesn't feel the need to draw a lot of attention to himself. In a city full of the thieves and other unsavories you've seen, it's not hard to see why.

It's only when he turns to your footsteps as you approach do you notice upon closer inspection the utter lack of any sort of skin coloration on him at all...his skin is ghost white. His pale face is masked by a mesh of stringy, dirty unkempt, long black hair that streams over it showing two rather sunken, distant hazel eyes that don't really seem to be staring at you...but rather through you. His face is such to keep your gaze that you didn't even notice the rather intimidatingly large blade attached to his back...a bastard sword, no doubt, and a longsword sheathed at his left side.

Upon further inquiries, you learn quickly enough that this individual is a mercenary of some sort, and he calls himself simply 'Brythe'. He tells you up front that he is by no means a good person. He speaks of having a long history in prison and being implicated in some rather unspeakable events, murder among them. He surprisingly admits, freely, that he was once a convicted murderer and he did in fact do what they said he did.

This all being said, he says he served his time and now simply wishes to go on with his life. He then makes a rather shocking offer...he offers to join you, making the promise he will never speak until spoken to, he will never force his opinion on you, he will do whatever you ask, whether it be slay a six-year old girl or go charging into a group of beholders. He is a tool...a tool that will never fail to be used for whatever purpose you see fit...and that, in the world of adventuring, is infinitely more valuable than a trusted friend...as a trusted friend can betray you. But he, as a tool, has no reason to...because he is not alive...he is, in a way, dead inside. His only request is that you do not ask him about a certain two week period...

This man's name is Brythe...long forgotten by most, he was a Tethyrian and accused of killing over 150 people over the course of two weeks. He rotted in the worst and darkest Tethyrian dungeon for over 63 years. It is two years later...

...and the story is just beginning. Do you trust him? Can you trust him? Can you take him with you? Can you change him? Has he already been changed? Has he not served his time for his crimes? That's a lifetime and a half for most humans in Faerun...Or once a murderer, always a murderer...?

Welcome to the very start of a joint BGII NPC project between myself and SConrad, the story of Rebryth Elameril, known simply to the world at large (for those who know him) as 'Brythe'.

Brythe is a multi-layered, branching male human fighter NPC (dual wields a bastard sword and a longsword) with lots of dialogue options for SoA and ToB for good and neutral NPCs. (Brythe will not join evil NPCs under any circumstances) Brythe will never speak unless spoken to. He will never initiate conversations. If you want him to stop talking to NPCs, he will. He can be a silent warrior the entire game if you want. If you want to talk to Brythe, you have to initiate it. He will never force his opinion on you. He will never leave your party unless you ask him to. Large branching conversations very similar to the romance dialogues.

As a good or neutral Child of Bhaal, you will constantly be wrested with the question of the ramifications of keeping such a wildcard on your party...on what he has done, on what he may do, on what you can discover on him, on what can be changed. Such is the nature of Brythe.

Edited by Shfelliot, 07 December 2005 - 07:39 PM.

#2 Acheron

Acheron
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

I'm new to the community, but I must say this an intriguing opening. He sounds like the sort of NPC I'd give a shake. :P

-Acheron

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

Sounds incredibly interesting... I find myself simultaneously repulsed and thoroughly intrigued by him. Can't wait to see some previews and more info! :)

#4 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:26 AM

I'll keep this NPC in mind. It looks and feels interesting to have him in your party.
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#5 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:03 AM

Brythe will slay a six-year old girl without hesitation, but will refuse to join, if PC is evil? Could you elaborate on your reasoning?

#6 Shfelliot

Shfelliot
  • Modder
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

Brythe will slay a six-year old girl without hesitation, but will refuse to join, if PC is evil? Could you elaborate on your reasoning?

Yes very much on both counts, and stick around awhile and you just might get your answer as to why. :) There is nothing uncomplicated about it. That he's such a uncomfortable fit for a good or even most neutral aligned parties is part of the allure, I think, of designing him.

Edited by Shfelliot, 08 December 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#7 --Eon Blue Apocalypse--

--Eon Blue Apocalypse--

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

Sounds like the coolest npc I've read about for a long time. :cheers:

#8 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:40 AM

Awesome concept :D.

#9 -Dreamer-

-Dreamer-

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:32 AM

well you guys sure know how to keep secrets. :)
good luck 'n I will look forward to this.

#10 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:43 AM

I was pondering the idea of a mercenary for quite a while now and I must say that I like that angle about him. As a mercenary I think he should also receive payment in gold which he deducts from the groups treasury in regular amounts.

Once you cannot pay him. He will retire to a pickup spot until you hav the funds again, but I guess I am still thinking of the way I would have handled my merc. Carry on. ;)
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#11 Undertaker

Undertaker

Destiny, Infinity, Eternity

• 68 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:24 AM

How about FAQ, overview threads, portrait options :) , etc?
Evil hidden everywhere
Evil has a chilling stare
Null and void of any care
Is where the answer lies
It does no good to beg or cry
It does no good to question why
It does no good it never dies
Evil never dies

#12 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

I was pondering the idea of a mercenary for quite a while now and I must say that I like that angle about him. As a mercenary I think he should also receive payment in gold which he deducts from the groups treasury in regular amounts.

Once you cannot pay him. He will retire to a pickup spot until you hav the funds again, but I guess I am still thinking of the way I would have handled my merc. Carry on. ;)

I don't know Brythe's character as well as Shfelliot does, so he might have to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I honestly don't think Brythe cares that much about gold. He is driven by... other motives. ;)

How about FAQ, overview threads, portrait options :) , etc?

I believe Shfelliot was working on that, but feel free to start a FAQ-thread or something else if you wish (or anyone else). ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#13 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

[quote].. enough that this individual is a mercenary of some sort,..[quote]

Sorry I was led astray by this bit, but I guess he does have reasons. ::) My idea was a pure gun for hire that is why the gold came into play. I am curious what his motives are in the future to be a 'tool' after being incarcerated for so long.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:19 PM

Sounds very interesting, I'll be giving this mod a try when you guys finish it some day. :) I like Brythe's "tool" aspect, so you can have him as an evil NPC if you want to, but you don't have to listen to him boasting of his deeds (Korgan) or snarky comments (Edwin makes enough of those). All in all, sounds very promising! Remember to drop by the Sol Ek Sa forum if you need any portraits. ;)

#15 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:22 PM

It sounds very cool, I presume there is some reasoning behind him deciding to join you? And also, 63 years in prison? How old is this guy?

Edited by Tom, 11 December 2005 - 01:25 PM.

Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#16 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:46 PM

This NPC sounds incredible. I can't wait to download him when the time comes. :)
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#17 Pixel Kaiser

Pixel Kaiser

Formerly Tameon the Dragoon

• 1425 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

Mmm...a fresh idea. Yummy.

How much work is currently done? Also, I gots to ask; what does this mean for poor Khadion? zomg its teh jery zingar all over agayn

Edited by Tameon the Dragoon, 11 December 2005 - 05:14 PM.

#18 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:39 AM

How much work is currently done?

Not much, I'll admit. Mostly concepts and planning, so far.

Also, I gots to ask; what does this mean for poor Khadion? zomg its teh jery zingar all over agayn

Although the Khadion mod has a much larger scope than Brythe (or just about any other NPC mod), work has progressed quite a bit farther and has priority. We decided pretty early that Brythe wasn't going to sacrifice work for Khadion.

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#19 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:56 AM

Sounds brilliant like everything (mod related, at least :P) that comes out of Shfelliot`s brain. :)

Edited by khayman, 12 December 2005 - 08:57 AM.

#20 SConrad

SConrad

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

Sounds brilliant like everything (mod related, at least :P) that comes out of Shfelliot`s brain. :)

Definitely agreed. ;)

Iron Modder 5 - Winner