Photo

Best CRPG

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Computer RolePlaying Games (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Which CRP is in your opinion the best ever?

1. Baldur's Gate (10 votes [9.01%])

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (46 votes [41.44%])

Percentage of vote: 41.44%

3. Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (2 votes [1.80%])

Percentage of vote: 1.80%

4. Icewind Dale I (1 votes [0.90%])

Percentage of vote: 0.90%

5. Icewind Dale II (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Planescape: Torment (28 votes [25.23%])

Percentage of vote: 25.23%

7. Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (5 votes [4.50%])

Percentage of vote: 4.50%

9. Knights of the Old Republic (1 votes [0.90%])

10. Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (1 votes [0.90%])

11. Fallout (3 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

12. Fallout II (6 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

13. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (5 votes [4.50%])

Percentage of vote: 4.50%

14. Neverwinter Nights (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Temple of Elemental Evil (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Ultima (The Series) (0 votes [0.00%])

17. The Elder Scrolls (0 votes [0.00%])

18. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Arcanum (2 votes [1.80%])

Percentage of vote: 1.80%

20. Gothic (1 votes [0.90%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

Given the nature of this forum I thought we needed this poll. Best roleplaying game for the computer?

I think I remembered most of the more popular ones. Also, I haven't put down most of the old ones, so if you like them best, complaint all you want about them not being represented ^_^.

Total lists of things I've left out on purpose:

1. Old games (Like the first Pool of Radiance)
2. Action RPGs (Like Fable, Diablo, Dungeon Siege etc.)
3. MMORPGs (Like World of Warcraft, Everquest, etc.)
4. Expansions, because they are integrated in the game. One exception is Throne of Bhaal, because I don't want to force people who vote BGII to vote for ToB also ;)
5. Some games, such as Ultima, I listed as a whole series, because it was too immense to list all the games.

EDIT: I left out Pool of Radiance II: Ruins of Myth Drannor by mistake, but I guess no one would vote for it anyway ;)

Second EDIT: Stupid me, I had already used up all my slots when I wrote "other", so everybody who wants to vote will have to vote for that as well. Sorry :doh:

Third EDIT: Poll fixed by Sebastian :)

Fourth EDIT: When you vote, bear in mind that you are voting for the unmodded game. The fact that a game has more mods does not make the vanilla game better - it adds to its replay value.

Edited by Grunker, 04 September 2006 - 06:40 AM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

Baldur's Gate II: SoA.

#3 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

My favourite is Fallout II.
I love the immorality of that game :) .

#4 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

I'm a Planescape: Torment guy myself.

That story was immense... Best game ever.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#5 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

I played P:T only once and I was very impressed with dialogs and quests, but I didn't manage to finish it because it was working very poorly on my comp, despite the fact that it fullfilled recomended requirements.
Some time after that I borrowed it to a classmate and he haven't returned it to me :( .
I could buy a new copy for 20 Gold Pieces, but I don't feel a need to play that game.

#6 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

I played P:T only once and I was very impressed with dialogs and quests, but I didn't manage to finish it because it was working very poorly on my comp, despite the fact that it fullfilled recomended requirements.
Some time after that I borrowed it to a classmate and he haven't returned it to me :( .
I could buy a new copy for 20 Gold Pieces, but I don't feel a need to play that game.

You should. It truly is amazing.

- Yahtzee

#7 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

Depends what you are after:

Most vesatile game when it comes to RP choices: Fallout2 (also because of the SPECIAL character model with perks)

Best story: Planescape Torment ( A true epic)

Best setting: Arcanum (The Planes are fine, but I just loved the Jules Verne feeling of Arcanum)

Best fights: ToEE (Turn based fighting is the only way to go to let the player decide and not the engine)

Best mods: BG2 (The reason why it is so undying is that the additions for me outweigh the naked game at least 1:3, read I could not be forced to play through unmodded BG2 again if it was the last game on this planet.)

Well probably if it was the last. :D
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#8 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Fixed the poll and voted BGII. There are a lot of other great choices, but there's a special place in my heart for that one. ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#9 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:54 AM

Fallout II of course. Baldur's Gate and PS:T are good and stuff, but Fallout I and II have them beat easily.
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#10 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

I like a few of those listed but picked BGII as my overall game.

#11 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:34 AM

Fixed the poll and voted BGII. There are a lot of other great choices, but there's a special place in my heart for that one. ;)

Thanks for fixing the poll :)

Well it seems as though my favourite games are the only ones voted for, but given the nature of this forum, I suppose that's not too odd ;)

- Yahtzee

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:31 AM

Depends what you are after:

Most vesatile game when it comes to RP choices: Fallout2 (also because of the SPECIAL character model with perks)

Best story: Planescape Torment ( A true epic)

Best setting: Arcanum (The Planes are fine, but I just loved the Jules Verne feeling of Arcanum)

Best fights: ToEE (Turn based fighting is the only way to go to let the player decide and not the engine)

Best mods: BG2 (The reason why it is so undying is that the additions for me outweigh the naked game at least 1:3, read I could not be forced to play through unmodded BG2 again if it was the last game on this planet.)

Well probably if it was the last. :D

Yea, Arcanum rocks! B) ToEE was nice too, good to see that I wasn't the only person who liked it. I really liked SPECIAL in Lionheart too.

#13 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

I like Fallout 2 because of it's versatility and replayability.
It's a one of few games that I played without reloading after getting killed and still enjoyed it.

#14 Guest. :)

Guest. :)
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

I cast my vote for Torment. Best story I've ever read.. -Without- mods, seeing as it's nearly impossible to work with considering all the pain-in-the-butt hardcoding.

But still, in my book, vanilla PS:T > Modded BG2.

#15 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

I cast my vote for Torment. Best story I've ever read.. -Without- mods, seeing as it's nearly impossible to work with considering all the pain-in-the-butt hardcoding.

But still, in my book, vanilla PS:T > Modded BG2.

We're getting closer to BGII! Come on PS:T fans, vote! ;)

I really liked SPECIAL in Lionheart too.

No measure of SPECIAL improvement could save lionheart from being a complete and utter failure. There's only room for 20 choices in the poll, and seeing as Lionheart is a mixture of diablo and real roleplaying I left that out to.

As for ToEE, it's true that I hate the game, but it's also true that the combat was amazing and never got boring (except fighting dem trolls).

- Yahtzee

#16 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:46 AM

No, you don't ! :P I go for BG2. Torment had an amazing story, indeed, but the gameplay was quite a drawback. :P

#17 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

No, you don't ! :P I go for BG2. Torment had an amazing story, indeed, but the gameplay was quite a drawback. :P

Damn, we're three votes behind now! :P

Edited by Grunker, 11 January 2006 - 10:27 AM.

- Yahtzee

#18 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

Damn, we're three votes behind now! :P

Get used with it, such polls were made before and Torment always lost to BG2. :devil:

#19 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

Get used with it, such polls were made before and Torment always lost to BG2. devil.gif

I'm gonna go cry now.

No, to lose to 2nd best is no shame ;)

- Yahtzee

#20 Guest. :)

Guest. :)
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

If this were in the PS:T board, we would -totally- win. :whistling: