Photo

Alright, Horred what's the gameplan....?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jacen Saracen

Jacen Saracen
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

I frequent these forums every so often to check your posts. I am very much a fan of your work, and like to keep an eye on the evolving status of Big Picture, so my question is--

what are your current, but-could-change-at-any-minute plans for this monster? Is this something you consider fairly well finished, with a tweak now and then when you're in the mood? Is there a master plan at work that may not be readily apparent to the casual forum skimmer involving some major final push to get this bad boy way beyond where it already is? Hmmm.... hmmm....?

Whatever the case, thanks for your hard work. It is mightily appreciated.... :cheers:

Oh, and is it possible to download just your AI package and integrate into maybe a non-modded install? Are their various options here, or is it a "you want my AI, then you need the whole thing" kind of deal?

Enquiring minds...., well at least my mind..... would like to know. :new_thumbs:

#2 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

I frequent these forums every so often to check your posts. I am very much a fan of your work, and like to keep an eye on the evolving status of Big Picture, so my question is--

what are your current, but-could-change-at-any-minute plans for this monster? Is this something you consider fairly well finished, with a tweak now and then when you're in the mood? Is there a master plan at work that may not be readily apparent to the casual forum skimmer involving some major final push to get this bad boy way beyond where it already is? Hmmm.... hmmm....?

Whatever the case, thanks for your hard work. It is mightily appreciated.... :cheers:

Oh, and is it possible to download just your AI package and integrate into maybe a non-modded install? Are their various options here, or is it a "you want my AI, then you need the whole thing" kind of deal?

Enquiring minds...., well at least my mind..... would like to know. :new_thumbs:

Well, you may have noticed the BP Workroom at the top. Lots of posts, and replies, up there. Especially the past few weeks. I've been very busy.

BP-Weidu is still in the work. The process of converting 5000+ in-game files to weidu hex-offset coding is simply staggering amount of work. It's the singlemost holdup on BP-weidu release.

BP-weidu is no longer the "Glue of All Mods", thanks to the weidu conversions I started and King Diamond perfected (or, is on the way to perfecting. ;) ). So, you may ask--what is the point? What is left to make BP worthwhile? Simple--the advanced AI, and the in-game (creature/area/encounter) enhancements. It always was the true spice of the BP experience. :D

As such, the AI has been getting special attention of late. I've made several major improvements to the system, including offscreen attack response (no more fireballs into the black spaces!) and accurate "cloud spell" detection. Webs, cloudkill, stinking cloud, meteor swarm--you name it. The shouts system has gone through a massive overhaul--it not only works now, it has many many enhancements. Lots of colorful dialog. Monster-types grunt instead of talk, but get the message across to their companions nonetheless.

More support for the difficulty slider is being added, and a more diverse spread of encounters can be achieved. There is actually some support (in certain regions) for HARD and INSANE settings. (e.g.) Beware the Beholder's Lair on INSANE!!! More areas are getting special attention. Mostly "more stooges", but not entirely.

100's of bugfixes. Both BP and Bioware bugs alike. Some BP components have become optional (Wand of Orcus, Ascension, Spellhold), and more are on the way (Suldanessallar, and Horred's Lair, are definitely planned). Support for translations is on the way. A Spanish translation is already planned.

You can play BP-weidu with SoA-ToB solo, or with all the mods you formerly could. Perhaps even more, when it's done. Even NeJ2 compatability (already tested)--in fact, Vlad's toughened creatures with my advanced AI makes for a real slaughterhouse! And since BP was merged with TDD for so long, I have a whole set of scripts that kick in when TDD is installed, unsing its vast array of spells.

My AI takeover will be executed in such a way that it will affect most CRE files (in-game, and any previously-installed mods), but will hardly touch the actual in-game AI scripts. The goal is to not overwrite a single in-game file (BP has ~5000 in-game files!), or as few as is possible. Lots of hex-patching! Probably ten times more than any mod I've seen out there to date.

If any of you out here are interested in some specifics on the scripting (the codes, the theories, and so on). Let me know. I'll copy a couple relevant workshop threads out to the public forum. I'll be glad to talk your ears off about scripting, my pleasure.

DO NOT ask for an ETA. I'm working as fast as I can on it, putting in more time than I should be. So much for a life... :crying: It's not just mere conversion I'm doing--I'm fixing and enhancing on a grand scale as well--almost everything I can see, or dream up. BP-weidu will be more than just a superior installer. It will be superior product as well.

#3 Jacen Saracen

Jacen Saracen
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

:ermm: Well, uh....

Now that your master plan has been established, all I can say is.....

.....DAMN..........

:coolthumb:

Edited by Jacen Saracen, 01 February 2006 - 10:37 PM.

#4 J Beau

J Beau
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:59 AM

I agree. I was on the edge of my seat just reading your post, Horred. I can't wait to download this thing. I appreciate all the hard work and I will make sure the mod is well used when it is finally unveiled.

Oh, and will BP supply party AI or will it work in conjunction with the eSeries and gMinion stuff.

Edited by J Beau, 02 February 2006 - 03:04 AM.

Tempus fugit - memento mori
Time flies - remember death

#5 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:23 AM

I agree. I was on the edge of my seat just reading your post, Horred. I can't wait to download this thing. I appreciate all the hard work and I will make sure the mod is well used when it is finally unveiled.

Oh, and will BP supply party AI or will it work in conjunction with the eSeries and gMinion stuff.

It will work fine with Seanas' BP-Series scripts (based on eSeries/gMinion, but enhanced for BP's IDS files). Since I don't use parrty AI, I cannot personally comment on their performance. But knowing Seanas, I'm sure they work fine. ;)

#6 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

It is really good news to hear ! I loved the AI part of Big Picture, but I really don't like TDD and SOS. If we can play with BP-Weidu without those (and without Ascension), it will be really great ! A real alternative to Tactics !

By the way, what's up with Tactics' components not included in Big Picture (like Shauagin's city) ? Can the user choose between Tactics and BP version of some battles ?

Another question : if I combine BGT-WeiDU and BP-WeiDU, will I get an improved AI in the BG1 part ? It would be great !

I have almost completed BGT-WeiDU's French translation. I believe there is not much text to translate, is'nt it ? If so, you can count on me for French translation of BP-WeiDU. :)
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#7 Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

Can you tell us to what extent you are taking into account/cooperating with other enhancements out there, such as the upcoming BG2 fixpack, Rerfinements, Divine & Arcane Remix, possibly Galactygon's Lost Crossroads? :)

#8 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

It is really good news to hear ! I loved the AI part of Big Picture, but I really don't like TDD and SOS. If we can play with BP-Weidu without those (and without Ascension), it will be really great ! A real alternative to Tactics !

By the way, what's up with Tactics' components not included in Big Picture (like Shauagin's city) ? Can the user choose between Tactics and BP version of some battles ?

Another question : if I combine BGT-WeiDU and BP-WeiDU, will I get an improved AI in the BG1 part ? It would be great !

I have almost completed BGT-WeiDU's French translation. I believe there is not much text to translate, is'nt it ? If so, you can count on me for French translation of BP-WeiDU. :)

The Ascension in BP has been modified; it almost exactly does what the original authors intended (AFAIK). They had hundreds of broken objects, missing spell referrnces, and so on. Mostly bugfixes to the AI here, plus some better detection.

I've already made improvements to Sahuagin City. The latest version of Tactics still overwrites IDS files, if they are not present in the override folder . No appendage, no checks for previous entries--nothing. I think compatability issues should be addressed to the overwriters, not to the appenders.

If I don't decide to biff BP (with >5000 files, I likely will), Tactics will work. If I biff BP, Tactics will break BP (or any other biffed mod with custom IDS entries in action, trigger, spell, or race). Most major mods I know of have both custom entries and biffs. Unless they "worked around" smaller mods, and purposely left these files in the override---big trouble with Tactics. Besides, most of the AI is of the cheating variety. We don't favor that here....

As my post stated, my AI will have an effect on any previously installed mod. without overwriting the scripts. I overwrite the script entries in the CRE files instead (subtle difference). So yes, any mod you think of (including BGT) will have BP-quality AI...excluding custom scripts, naturally.

Excellent; when I get TRA files made, I'll be sure to make them available. ;)
A few hundred lines or so, a thousand tops...

Can you tell us to what extent you are taking into account/cooperating with other enhancements out there, such as the upcoming BG2 fixpack, Rerfinements, Divine & Arcane Remix, possibly Galactygon's Lost Crossroads?

At this point, not at all. I'm so busy dealing with BP and its relation to the bigger mods it used to govern, I haven't looked at many smaller packages. It's not a matter of superiority complex, it's a matter of time. Cooperation on my end is not an issue. I hope they show some consideration for a three-year-plus-old mod.

When it comes to STATS.IDS, there unfortunately isn't much room for cooperation. You change it, you break BP in some way. Unless they used the buggered scripting states, that I purposely left alone. :P That's why I released the BPDetectStats package two years ago (recently overhauled by King Diamond)--so people could see what I have, and take advantage of it in their own mods. Bottom line: It's the most accurate, most versatile system out there. No reason not to use it!

EDIT: Keep in mind that I am writing to the hex offsets, not overwriting in-game files. It is possible that someone else could alter the same file in the same manner (at different offsets), and both modfications will work. I'm coding my "byte-writing" in a very fluid manner, which allows for presence of other modifications. Many mods that claim "smart appendage" are really just overwriting on a smaller scale, with no other allowances whatsoever. The proof is in the .tp2 file. ;)

Case in point: Let's say I want BOB.CRE to have three Cure Light Wounds (CLW) spells. I'm mod # 4 in the install (mod D). First, I check to see if Bob knows the spell. If he doesn't, I teach it to him. Then, I check through his memorized spells. I count how many CLW he has. If he has 3 or more, I leave him alone. If he has 2, I add 1. 1, I add 2.

By doing it this way, all spells that mods A, B, and C may have added to the selection are still there. We modded the same file, but in a friendly, cooperative way.

I forget which mod exactly, but it is a (so-called) smart-weidu game-enhancement type mod. I saw code in it that removes all known and memorized spells first, then adds the ones it wants a creature to have. Anything that anybody had added before them is thus lost and gone. See the difference?

Don't expect me to cooperate much with Galactygon. Last time we conversed, he had the nerve to offer me "scripting lessons". He was criticising a block of code I didn't even write! (KR's cloudkill detection). He offered nothing in the ways of improvement, I might add. I've seen his attempts at scripting...

[CONCRETE FACT--so you don't think I'm pointlessly dis'ing him] His scripting system (when I saw it last) was based on checking the CRE's intelligence, and making major decisions based on it. This is fine and dandy, but it doesn't take into account that most of the CRE's were slapped together by lazy coders, and have most/all abilities set to a default 9. :whistling:

If Lost Crossroads is evar released, and it works with BP, then hey--it works. His original mission was to have it compatible with BP--let's hope he stuck to it. IMHO--I think your BG2 discs will have melted or turned to dust before he gets it done! :lol:

BTW-- BPDetectStats now sets a scripting state on the cloud itself, so detection of any web, stinking cloud, meteor swarm, incendiary cloud (you name it) --and if you are standing in it, taking damage or not--is possible. Accurately, as well--my Zone of Sweet Air code does not try to dispel a web, for example. KR's code has become outdated, at last.

Edited by horred the plague, 02 February 2006 - 01:41 PM.

#9 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

Copied from the BGT-weidu forums; mirrored here for your convenience:

FIRST PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

All done or not (far from it, really), I'm releasing my best beta at the same time all the other mods get updated. So BP-BGT will be a reality once again--and soon! And all the "classic" mods will be redundant. And al these sorts of questions will be redundant (thus the beta release ;) ).

And BP-weiduv171+(v173 by beta-release time) is already 99.8% ( = best modder's guess ;) ) compatible with your BGT-weidu mod, and any others I have tried (& I tried all the biggies, including NeJ2). I have the "Play Baldur's Gate +" code, KD's GUI code; every worthwhile code there was to hijack! :whistling: ...and more! :D

Besides BP, there are currently 13 optional components. 3 are BP-originals, 1 is Ascension, and the other 9 are various components of Tactics that were formerly "hardwired" into BP. Note that I didn't get all of these from Tactics ( I got Kensai Ryu's work from KR, and Gebhard Blucher's work from G Blucher, and permission for Ascension from Gaider himself); and most have been altered to a varying degree (again, with permission).

Certain "Tactics" components I left hardwired, by choice. Among these are KR's improved dragons & improved crypt king, and GB's improved mind flayers. Probably others as well.

And, who knows--maybe this release will get a couple more weidu ninjas into my court, to help me finish the remaining 2500+ in-game files (converting from "file overwrite" to "hex patching"). :Bow: in advance for any help with this massive chore. :whistling:

P.S: @ seanas: You've seen the requests...should we add the BP-series to BP-proper? Obviously 100% full accredidation; I have them installed but still haven't used them let alone modded on them. :unsure: But I'll be glad to give you an in-depth critique after I finish overhauling these last 42 MAGExxx. scripts--if you &/or Cirerrek wish one. ;)

Edited by horred the plague, 17 February 2006 - 02:45 PM.

#10 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:56 AM

P.S: @ seanas: You've seen the requests...should we add the BP-series to BP-proper? Obviously 100% full accredidation; I have them installed but still haven't used them let alone modded on them. :unsure: But I'll be glad to give you an in-depth critique after I finish overhauling these last 42 MAGExxx. scripts--if you &/or Cirerrek wish one. ;)

yeah, no problem, include them in the BP-weidu. as for critique: i'm quite sure there's room for improvement in the BP-Series.... :blink:

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#11 J Beau

J Beau
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:58 AM

That would be a great addition! ;) Also, since you are going to release this as a Beta, how are you going to handle updates? Are there going to be patches? Will we have to start a new game when new material comes out? Or will we be able to just uninstall BP and reinstall the new version and keep on going? I really appreciate all the hard work and I can't wait to download this. :cheers:

#12 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:51 AM

That would be a great addition! ;) Also, since you are going to release this as a Beta, how are you going to handle updates? Are there going to be patches? Will we have to start a new game when new material comes out? Or will we be able to just uninstall BP and reinstall the new version and keep on going? I really appreciate all the hard work and I can't wait to download this. :cheers:

Updates will come as needed, or when a significant amount of remaining files gets converted over to hex-patching. I do not "forsee" any changes that will require a new game. I don't touch the GAM file, I don't touch the WMP.

There will be versions, not patches. Much neater this way. Since BP is very near the end of the install---well past the biffing mods---reinstallation won't be a big pain.

BP will not be biffed up until it reaches its final release stage. Perhaps, not even then. It doesn't alter "too" many more files than DefJam and TuTuTweaks (every CRE file is sorted through, same as those mods).

@ Seanas: I'll add the scripts as another optional component then. And give them a good "buff & wax" job. ;)

#13 J Beau

J Beau
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the quick response and the good news. :new_thumbs:

EDIT: Deleted duplicate post. Forum is acting funny today

Edited by horred the plague, 18 February 2006 - 08:43 AM.

#14 coralzombie

coralzombie
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

[quote name='J Beau' post='241006' date='Feb 18 2006, 10:29 AM']
Thanks for the quick response and the good news. :new_thumbs:

EDIT: Deleted duplicate post. Forum is acting funny today

Edited by coralzombie, 19 February 2006 - 10:48 AM.

#15 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

Just so I'm not accused of keeping my loyal supporters out of the loop, I will announce this here as well.

BPv172-weidu, final workshop alpha, has been uploaded to our workshop (private) ftp server. We will begin giving it "one last good runover" before releasing BPv175-weidu BETA (a rounder number than v173 :D ) to the public.

#16 --Aroc--

--Aroc--

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

Great news Horr :Bow: ed

#17 coralzombie

coralzombie
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:28 PM

Hooray for horred and team. ( I greedily rub my hands in anticipation of the beta release and my future exploits in bg2)
i just cant wait to kill more innocent people.

i remember those good old days when we all sat in my basement smoking cigars drinking koolaid and playing ad&d with our stubby pencils.
rest in peace E.D

#18 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

I`m waiting for it too :).

#19 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

Just to keep you posted on progress, as well...

We've worked out a lot of issues (many of them installer-oriented) in the past few days. Special thanks to King Diamond for all his help! :Bow: :cheers: He really cleaned up a lot of mess and clutter, that I had made. :whistling:

He's also brought the tp2 into the modern era, by installing some inline 2DA systems for creature conversion. This has a dual benefit: 1) it makes the tp2 much smaller, more efficient, and install faster 2) it makes it 200% easier for me to convert the remaining creature files over to hex-patching. :D With those, and a couple tricks I've added--this is a cutting-edge wiedu installer, we are building.

Also done were some major fixes to the shout system I've built for this release. Neutrals and evilcutoff's each have seperate code with in the shout scripts. This should keep neutral from aiding enemies. Also added was a seperate shout for dying (it used to be lumped with the "I'm being attacked" shout, even in some bioware scripts I've seen). Seperate support script for each shout, as well.

And, of course, the hell hound I've been rambling on about in BGT-weidu forums.

BP-weiduv174 will be released to the workshop crew in a couple days, for hopefully the last run. I'll keep you informed every few days, or if something major happens.

:cheers:

Horred

#20 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

Very good news here, Horred! I really hope we can combine both Big Picture's AI Improvements and aigleborgne's Enhanced Creatures so that we can reach a gameplay level never believed possible untill some time ago!

Just like the guy who posted first in this topic, I am not at the moment interested in the Mods themselves but I'd love to have the game take advantage of your AI modifications so I'll just go for it, if possible.

One more thing. I used to install these Tactics modifications, not wanting any others because of too much cheating or because of metagaming/reload sindrome (awfully overpowered encounters).

- Improved Crypt King
- Improved Golems
- Improved Nymphs
- Improved Copper Coronet
- Improved North Forest
- Marching Mountains

I checked seanas' pinned topic about what parts of Tactics are or not included (with/without modifications from you) in Big Picture. Two of the ones I appreciate (Improved Crypt King, Marching Mountains) are reported to be unknown weather they are or not present in Tactics. Can you shed some lights about this ?

Also, Improved North Forest is an element I consider worth but is not included in Big Picture. Can I still install it ?

Improved Golems and Improved Nymphs are present but modified. Can you please tell us what differs from The Tactics' version ?

One more thing, would it be possible to let the user decide what Tactics-based modifications install so that I could, example, have the chance of skipping the already too overpowered Improved Ilyich component that seanas report to be *even tougher* in Big Picture ?

I used to install a small modification inspired to Tactics and called "Slightly Improved Ilyich"...Would you believe it can be compatible ?

Sorry for the load of perhaps silly questions but I am pretty new...

Thanks again for all you are doing for us! :cheers:

Edited by Salk, 02 March 2006 - 12:45 AM.