Photo

Alright, Horred what's the gameplan....?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 ne2 Luka

ne2 Luka
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:17 AM

I biffed these:

2da, are, bam, bcs, bmp, cre, dlg, eff, itm, mos, spl, sto. I didn't touch *.tis.

It seemed to work, and now my override holds only 33 files (which should be good), but performance has improved only slightly. It's still rather unplayable.

...Someone?

#62 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:35 AM

I biffed these:

2da, are, bam, bcs, bmp, cre, dlg, eff, itm, mos, spl, sto. I didn't touch *.tis.

It seemed to work, and now my override holds only 33 files (which should be good), but performance has improved only slightly. It's still rather unplayable.

...Someone?

Check your PC vs the "stutter bug" list in the BG2 readme file (anti-virus, etc) next. Steer clear of bottomless baggies. Also, approximately how many mods are you trying vs your PC's stats?

Next thing to look at is BALDUR.BCS. Many mods are adding a lot of content to this script, not necessarily in an efficient way. This script is always running. Add that to some enhanced AI scripts for nearly everyone you meet, and there can be troubles. I saw some issues in my own monster install run, until I rearranged this file. My PC isn't the best, but it's not a weakling either.

In one install, I noticed that the size of BALDUR.bcs had increased by 10 times its original size! With many blocks of very long OR() statements at the beginning of the script. Absolutely certain to be a performance killer.

What can be done about this?
1) rearrange the script manually, and get on with life. Easy for me to say, but most likely not easy for everybody. If I just had a clone, I could assign him to making everybody's scripts run better for them. :lol:
2) figure out what mod is adding precisely what, and figure out a more performance-efficient way of doing things; or better placement of the block, if all else fails. Sometimes just changing the order of the trigger blocks in a script can work wonders (as I proved very recently, with the eSeries player scripts).

P.S: I know BP is not the cause of BALDUR.bcs--related problems; I'm more than happy to offer my expertise in helping individual modmakers find better solutions to this conundrum, which grows in mathematical proportion to the number of mods installed.

Edited by horred the plague, 08 April 2006 - 04:38 AM.

#63 ne2 Luka

ne2 Luka
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:50 AM

I finaly found out what degraded performance on my machine. It was Anti-Virus-Anti-Spyware. Once they are down the game runs smoothly again.

...Sorry for the trouble, and thanks.

#64 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:11 AM

I finaly found out what degraded performance on my machine. It was Anti-Virus-Anti-Spyware. Once they are down the game runs smoothly again.

...Sorry for the trouble, and thanks.

I'm glad that this was all it was--but the BALDUR.bcs issue is NOT one to be ignored.