Photo

Are you still playing Icewind Dale series?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Still game? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Still a player?

1. Yes (62 votes [77.50%])

Percentage of vote: 77.50%

2. No (18 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

I always try to get into IWDII, but I usually spend more time trying to plan out my characters for it.

If there was a way to downgrade IWD2 into 2E (exactly like BG2), then I'd be happy. Most people seem to prefer 3E over 2E though...I just can't stand all the pre-planning.

IWD was great though, I'll probably play it again this year because I didn't know ToTL existed before I uninstalled my game the first time.

I trust you also have the IWD addon, Heart of Winter? It added lot to the gameplay.

#22 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

I trust you also have the IWD addon, Heart of Winter? It added lot to the gameplay.

IIRC, TotLM couldn't be installed w/o HoW. You get to castle Maluradek from Lonelywood, after all ;)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#23 -KSR-

-KSR-

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

Just started IWD recently

Played a good few Infinity Engine games.

Started with BG2-SoA then bought BG1 With ToTSC add on

Completed BG1-TotSC and replayed BG2 with imported char from BG1-ToTSC - Didnt manager to finish it tho.

Bought IWD2 when it came out and played to completion. Really enjoyed this - although did leave it for a period of 4 months before picking up again. Strangely enough was able to zip past the area i previous had trouble with beforehand and had caused me to pause playing :-)

Downloaded IWD recently and started playing - was actually quite impressed with it - was just what i was looking for - a "new" Infinity Engine game that i hadnt played yet. Really got into it and am still playing it now when time permits.

If only there was more to continue with after i finish it... <sigh>

KSR

#24 kuddles

kuddles
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:20 AM

I played them actually quite recently, and loved them. Probably won't play them again, at least for a long time, since the games were so linear. But for someone who had a hankering for some hack-n-slash action, but wanted said action to have some tactics involved, (and whose pretty much exhausted his efforts in the turn-based realm) it was a good amount of fun and a hell of a well-written story. The dialogue in particular in the second one was pretty entertaining, especially the humourous ones that mock RPG conventions.

The last battle is crappy powerplayer shit.
Ok, actually the second part of the last battle.
Madae just heals herself after drinking from the poisoned pond --> doh

Uh, do you know that you can prevent that from happening?

Edited by kuddles, 31 July 2006 - 07:21 AM.

#25 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

IWD is a great game, the sad thing about it is that you can't do the area's randomly, it might offer a bit of replayability.

Forced to play in exactly the same way each time...boring.
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#26 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

I guess the reason why I like the Icewind Dale series is that I like fiddling with character statistics and inventories, plus I just like the atmosphere of the games. Oh well, I'm also the only person here who likes PoR:RoMD, so I don't know how seriously one can take my opinions... :P

#27 Manveru

Manveru
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

Being long time IE games fan I decided to play all IWD series. Back to my modding days I believed cliché treating those games mostly as the ressources reservoirs for BG2 mods. Now I have decided to give IWD1/2 a try especially as I am doing some research on innovation in CRPGs design.

I have played through IWD, HOW and ToTL and currently I am in 5th chapter of IWD2 (dread orcs/elves area). I tried to treat those games on their own merit, trying to forget the reference of BG series and Planescape. In some points it was possible in others these games confirmed some of my beliefs:

IWD1 - I think that main story of this game is not bad for the purpose it is supposed to serve. I had no feeling to lose time playing this game. Of course, battle was main part of the game and quests were not so appealing as in BG or PST but it allowed to occupy several evenings. The part that disappointed me the most was the fact that IWD was technically inferior to BG2 - the spell selection is smaller and quality seems to be lower too (no spell sequencers, no contingency, abjurations by mage school and other interactive spells), items seem to be less interesting too (though HoW and ToTL repair this problem partially), still it is far from dialogue based items from PST or Lilarcor sword from BG2.

Graphically IWD1 and its addons are well done but often they use too much of repetitive design. IWD is like a mix of masterpieces (eg. Severed Hand areas, especially in the towers) and crafted repetitive dungeons with not much customization which would be better in NWN which is based on tilesets than in bitmap area based game. This was the big problem with ToTL (the area designers of this addon clearly made also the IWD2 areas) where some area elements were repeatedly used everywhere, in result dungeons were monotonous. The same reproach can be made for IWD2 - areas of BG2 and PST seem to be much more developped, and represent higher artistic level.

In general basic IWD1 represents good piece of entertainment for long winter evenings, its addons can prolongate game's lifetime, but not much (main quest of HoW is less involving than the main game and ToTL, which can be compared with Watcher's Keep of ToB or with Durlag's Tower of BG1 does not keep their level in the competition).

As for IWD2, I have mixed feelings: from one side the quests are more developped in this game (the time loop quest, defending bridge quests, more of conviction quests where diplomacy really can play role), there are more riddles than in IWD1 and more interactive elements of the game world - some of those elements are even more developped than in BG2. From the other side the game main story becomes tiring at the end, almost all side quests are actually integrated into main story in such a way that player has to do them to continue, player has to do all battles as well. The linearity is terrible, because we cannot skip some element which is less interesting in given moment to come back to it later. As far as game mechanics is concerned, I dislike the experience system in IWD2: how it comes that some lesser monster in the beginning of the game gives 500 exp and then much later in the game we get 500 exp for the white dragon ? - yes it is good for game balance, but not really good for player balance (which feels cheated, not rewarded enough for his effort) so that experience is no longer an incentive in this game, what is left is the story (which with all its turns is still far behind BG series or PST which involve directly PC), the 3rd edition is also quite complicated and it is not easy to get used to it after steady diet of BG series - it requires too much thinking during levelups (or even before them) taking away part of the fun - the player is not an accountant. Currently I came to the point that I have enough of playing IWD2 even if there are many parts of the game which were well done (eg. part of the nomad village, Targos part) not mentionning Oswald which has voice of Jan Jansen ;)

In conclussion IWD1/2 is not comparable to BG series and PST which are story driven games. When comparing these games with other action oriented cRPGs they are not the best neither (Diablo 2 has higher replayability), if one wants good tactical game then IWD is not the first choice neither (I prefer for example Fallout Tactics for battle purposes, and there is also more atmosphere in this game). Still IWD is more fun to play than some of other "IE style" games (eg. Temple of Elemental Evil which is boring, terribly booring and slow with its turn based system, Gorasul which is very low quality clone of BG1/PS:T mix and Pool of Radiance: Myth Drannor is an insult for real cRPG players), in such comparison IWD is looking quite well.
Elen Sila Lumenn' Omentielvo

#28 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

Back to my modding days I believed cliché treating those games mostly as the ressources reservoirs for BG2 mods.

This is a stereotype that is hard to break, unfortunately. I keep hoping that people will finally start looking at IWD2 as a moddable media in itself, instead of trying to patch and repatch BG2. I think that the time is ripe for it.

BG2 modding is a good thing, but not only it becomes so crowded nowadays, that it already sparks logical conflicts between the mods and sour grapes about people doing the same thing, it is becoming trivial, tired, making it more and more difficult to get the player to replay the same old game for the sake of a new NPC or a quest. I think it was proven with a reasonable certainty that TCs on BG2 scale are practically infeasable in any sort of "our lifetime", and suffer greatly from non-original artistic content and too many things that have to be done - ie building storyline, engaging NPCs, both joinable and unjoinable etc.

Meanwhile, the wistful sighs for another game "like BG2" continue.

Taking TUTU conversion lessons to heart, I'd say that modded IWD2 is a yet another untapped "BG2", but if and only if the community starts to actively mod it. Having poked around IWD2 for a while now with IWD2NPCs, I am seeing nothing but possibilities and realistic possibilities. The tough part - the groundwork was layed and layed well by the commercial developper, but they did not finish it up.

I know that it is not as easy as it sounds, because much of our tools are not adjusted to deal with IWD2, and hard-coded issues, but I am sure a lot more can be done with IWD2 than designating it as a source of area art for BG2 mods.

My 'IWD2 modding' wish list includes, but is not limited to:

1) Game rebalancing. Currently, the game is too hard on a typical BG2 player, almost pushing you to the improbably and boring stats (ie fighters with 18s where it counts and 3's in INT/WIS/CHA departments.)
2) Dialogue improvements for the later part of the game.
3) Two or three alternative paths through the game - done in a no-nonsense way, politiking and plotting on such a scale to show the Bodhi vs Aran "choice" in BG2 in what it was - non-choice.
4) Adding new, skippable quests, with or without adding new areas to dilute the straight-line progression.
5) Possibly adding a "centralized" and "starting" location, the Pirate City of Luskan with its Hosttower, accessible from most parts in the game with its own quests etc, to again, break the "straight line" and add something for a player who wants the urban environs.

And of course I do hope that people will notice my work on NPCs - no matter if they like my work or despise it, but as a modding opportunity - and start adding more joinable NPCs, placing a particular emphasis on the cross-mod content, gradually increasing the number of joinable NPCs to BG2 quantity, and allowing a player to create very different parties.

#29 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

1) Game rebalancing. Currently, the game is too hard on a typical BG2 player, almost pushing you to the improbably and boring stats (ie fighters with 18s where it counts and 3's in INT/WIS/CHA departments.)

This was mainly what made me stop. Even though I actually tried a game with the boring stats, I couldn't even finish. I dropped it. That, and no party interaction + boring (and too little) quests.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#30 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

I don't think that IWD2 has little quests. They are just either tied into the main story-line, or a bit less obvious than BG2 ones (ie a messanger shows up and tells you to go THERE! Do THAT!) When I was replaying Targos with a walk-through to do the interjections, I was surprised just how many side-quests I missed.

#31 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:27 AM

I don't think that IWD2 has little quests. They are just either tied into the main story-line, or a bit less obvious than BG2 ones (ie a messanger shows up and tells you to go THERE! Do THAT!) When I was replaying Targos with a walk-through to do the interjections, I was surprised just how many side-quests I missed.

The second time around, I used a complete walktrough. The quests are, to say the least, boring. I'm surprised you don't think IWDII has fed-ex quests, the game practically has little else :huh:
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#32 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

This was mainly what made me stop. Even though I actually tried a game with the boring stats, I couldn't even finish. I dropped it. That, and no party interaction + boring (and too little) quests.

Strangely enough, I had no problems at all using characters that weren't "twinked" in that way. Actually, I never really noticed stats having a measurable effect on the game. It's all about your equipment and tactics -- and so is BG2.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#33 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

@...how it comes that some lesser monster in the beginning of the game gives 500 exp and then much later in the game we get 500 exp for the white dragon ?

Well, depending on your skills and level, challenge diminishes and thus the reward for besting your nth monster of the same variety in a row. I bet Buffy doesn't get XP at all by now. ::)

@stats that matter
I know it is all the same old story to some, but I think I know only a single game where stats really mattered somewhat, but then again I used run around almost naked. So equipment was largely off the table.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#34 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

I'm surprised you don't think IWDII has fed-ex quests, the game practically has little else .

I am not sure what you mean. I meant the pointers in BG2 a-la messanger who tells you that if you go to the location he indicated on the map, you'll deal with Animal Troubles in Trademeet. IWD2 handles the main story-line big quests in that manner sending you from area to area. But the for the optional side quests, I found I had to run and talk to people more, f.ex to get the doppleganger's unmasking in Tragos and later see the quest conclusion in the Ice Temple. I did not really feel it was fedex stuff.

#35 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Well, what I meant was that the game had alot of fedex-type quests (the whole storyline was practically fedex), and contained alot of "go there. get that. put it in there. when it turns green, push the button and go into the next room and kill some stuff."-type quests. Which bored me.

And battles and such things are second-hand: I won't to experience an exciting storyline; but there was way too much combat between all of the dialogue.

- Yahtzee

#36 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Well, what I meant was that the game had alot of fedex-type quests (the whole storyline was practically fedex), and contained alot of "go there. get that. put it in there. when it turns green, push the button and go into the next room and kill some stuff."-type quests. Which bored me.

And battles and such things are second-hand: I won't to experience an exciting storyline; but there was way too much combat between all of the dialogue.

A good storyline is asking a lot these days, or so it seems, though that was already a problem when IWD first came out years ago. Even though Oblivion is a good game, I still consider the last actually interesting storyline to be the one in KotOR II.

After that, I've seen a couple of good storylines, sure, but none that would actually lit the spark of interest in me (Beyond the initial two hours of playing a new game). Hopefully they didn't botch NWN 2 that bad... otherwise it might seem that graphics are taking over, and that the story is not the most important factor.

Which, in part, might explain why I'm playing Wizardry 8 at the moment, and not Oblivion.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 30 August 2006 - 02:37 PM.

#37 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Er... I think this adequately describes the quests in every game I played; BG1 was the only game which had any kind of freedom of exploration. It's how games are made, I am afraid. Fed-ex quests, as I understand them, are low-level quests that are made using the "take this and give it to Character X" formula.

As for story-lines, they all boil down to 'there is something you need to defeat because (usually the world as we know it is going to end; or 'you're going to die!'). You can do it by following the instructions obtained while playing...' The only small twists are added by the Protagonist's background. S/he can be a Destined one of some sort (usually unknowingly) or a mercenary dealing with the problems in the region.

I think it's unfair to blame IWD series for the flaws which are inherent to every other game. Now, NPCs is what it definetly lacks, being a party game, here I make no argument. That's the most important difference for me and the "I want some joinable NPCs here, damn it!" was what stopped me from playing and started me on modding it. Of course, I am also very much in favour of adding at least 1 more political line to IWD2 and adding 2 or 3 different outcomes (which for me is the second biggest tweak it needs).

At any rate, I see all the downflaws identified as correctable by modding, and that is the main thing.

#38 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

A solution for the feeling that the world seemingly revolves around you would be to use a timer with each quest. Even day/night would be more fun. I can wait for ages and the druids still wait for their turn to attack Trademeet. When two imminent dangers are happening at once you should atleast be able to miss out on one.

Also interesting would be some RPing options that let you fubar some quests or get an easy solution without knowing the connections. You where nice to the beggars and as it turns out some of them now a secret entrance past the big bad guards or giving up one reward might alter the course of another quest later and so forth, but I agree that pure item collection is boring.

Edited by jester, 31 August 2006 - 08:45 AM.

"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#39 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

I don't agree with you there Domi. Both KotORs, the Fallouts and Bloodlines did not have a large amount of fedex. As I recall, fedex are typical for the more actionpacked RPGs: NWN, IWD and so on, which may be the reason why I don't like those titles.

- Yahtzee

#40 -domi_ash-

-domi_ash-

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

The problem with timered quests is that they don't take into account each player's individual pace. A player who rests often and uses inventory a lot will be punished. I've recently seen a suggestion of the quest counter as an alternative (ie every quest of equal priority is numbered and you can do any three out of say five, and the fourth and fifth will be taken care without you). It's still a pain in the neck to handle, but I think it is overoll fairer than the timer.

I think that easy solution and shortcuts were used before (ie Priest of Ilmaater takes you directly to the Undercellar in BG1; poisoned guards in the Galvena's Festival).

Would be cool if anyone who tried to add optional quest conetnt to IWD2 used both, because it does address common complaint of low replayability value. Some of the original quests I guess can use shortcuts (for example a small creature that helps with the drumms, or say a renegade priestess of Auril that can give some tips at least at what the hell you are supposed to do in the Ice Temple or help you to get directly into the big battles skipping some of the minor slaying)