Photo

Will you buy official mods for Oblivion?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

So, where do you stand, are you going to buy official Bethesda-made mod for Oblivion? I absolutely detest the whole idea, selling mods for a single-player game, and will not buy a single one of them. I'll just find a way to get around playing them without paying for them *wink wink*.

http://www.waiting4o...interview3.html

44. The announcement of the availability of regularly produced downloadable available content which will be charged for generated much controversy. Can you describe the overall strategy / philosophy behind the new approach? Is it purely a lucrative endeavor?

We are taking a different approach than we did with Morrowind. We want to be able to have content on a more regular basis and be able to dedicate the necessary resources to doing them at a certain level. Charging a small amount for this extra content allowed us to do this. Doing them for free this time around wasn't really something we contemplated. We didn't like the way it worked before and wanted to change it and do it better. Much like the game, if people think a plugin is worth it, they'll get it. If not, they won't.

45. Will the downloadable content facilitate or hamper the developement of regular expansion packs (on CD / DVD) for TES4 Oblivion?

It has no effect on our ability to do expansions.

46. Is there any plans to make the downloadable content available on CD or to integrate it as part of future expansion pack, so that it's easier to install?

At this time we have no plans to bundle them or distribute them in any other way.

The infamous horse armour mod will be available for purchase on day 1 of the launch.
Posted Image

Edited by Archmage Silver, 10 March 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#2 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:12 AM

The only thing I can say to this subject is: Bittorrent

ronin

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

They'll probably include some sort of a password system to the installer of the mods, requiring a code you get when you purchase the mod. Well, I believe some people are quite good at making generators for those kind of things.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

Nope. Not because I dislike the idea, which I do by the way, but because I've no intention of purchasing Oblivion. Games, particularly Oblivion, are expensive enough as it is to further rip money away from consumers with things that should have been included in the game to begin with.

The fact that content will be available for download the very same day the game is placed on the shelf further supports my belief that this "downloadable content" is nothing more than a way to add $20 or more to the price of the game.

#5 Black Mage

Black Mage

Stabbity Hadoken!

• 167 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Gah... that was me. :doh:
Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

#6 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

Buy? What a... strange idea indeed! P2P still rocks, you know :lol:

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:53 AM

Buy? What a... strange idea indeed! P2P still rocks, you know :lol:

They'll probably include some sort of a password system to the installer of the mods, requiring a code you get when you purchase the mod. Well, I believe some people are quite good at making generators for those kind of things.

So until someone cracks that up, P2P progs won't help.

Nope. Not because I dislike the idea, which I do by the way, but because I've no intention of purchasing Oblivion. Games, particularly Oblivion, are expensive enough as it is to further rip money away from consumers with things that should have been included in the game to begin with.

The fact that content will be available for download the very same day the game is placed on the shelf further supports my belief that this "downloadable content" is nothing more than a way to add $20 or more to the price of the game.

Well, they have to get it out, and didn't have the time for fine tuning it, but that's why the construction set is there. Yes, I admit that team Beth disappointed me with this "let's sell some mods" thing but Oblivion is well worth its price as it is, unlike some other games cough Fable cough. Really, the games cost just about the same Oblivion does nowadays, and where will you find a game with more content that Oblivion? [/FanBoyRant] :whistling:

#8 Black Mage

Black Mage

Stabbity Hadoken!

• 167 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:48 AM

Well, they have to get it out, and didn't have the time for fine tuning it, but that's why the construction set is there.

No time in 3 years development? It's not like they've been implementing anything else worthwhile.

Really, the games cost just about the same Oblivion does nowadays

I must be buying different games, I guess. I hardly ever spend more than $30 for a game, and online it's generally the most expensive game listed.

where will you find a game with more content that Oblivion? [/FanBoyRant] :whistling:

:rolleyes:

I think I'll survive without soil erosion. [/AntiBethMode]

Edited by Black Mage, 11 March 2006 - 03:51 AM.

#9 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:10 AM

The new Rainbow Six was cracked before it was even released, I dont think there will be any problem with the Oblivion mods.

ronin

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:31 AM

Yeah, that might well be. Although we shouldn't discuss that here... probably. They're not LucasArts but they do have lawyers. Although they'll never get us because we don't live in the States. :P

#11 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:35 AM

As long as you don't post any links or howtos they shouldn't really send lawyers. Tops they'd just C&D you from discussing said topic here and ask to remove the topic - and I higly doubt they'd bother.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:00 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. After all, they're not LucasArts or M$.

#13 Black Mage

Black Mage

Stabbity Hadoken!

• 167 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:53 AM

While we're on a similar subject, what's the stance on Abandonware here? No linking either, right?

#14 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:16 AM

Linking is always a lot dangerous, yes.

However, if the site offers for download only games where nobody gets hurt (= the company is no more and it wasn't part of ESA or similar) then I doubt anybody is going to take the time to menace you.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

Somehow I sense no one here likes the idea of paying for Oblivion mods... well, I'm not complaining. :D

#16 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

It depends on the content of the mod and the price they are asking for.

-Echon

#17 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

A growing trend for games is to connect to the company server and check your CD key every time you start it up (Quake 4 does this for example). At the moment you can simply disable your internet connection, but I suspect they'll start forcing you to be connected soon enough.

#18 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

A growing trend for games is to connect to the company server and check your CD key every time you start it up (Quake 4 does this for example). At the moment you can simply disable your internet connection, but I suspect they'll start forcing you to be connected soon enough.

If disconnecting works for the game, then surely simple forbidding the game to use connection by firewall preferences should work as well. As for games that are requiring connection to start, I know only one such game ATM - HL2. And incidentally I know that there's cracked version as well, which behaves itself :lol: Surely, if protection of such kind will be built in mod itself, I'm afraid none warez group will ever bother to waste their efforts on cracking "some tiny sh*tty mod", but I suppose that if any protection will exist, it will be built in game itself as a part of whole copy protection system, which is highly increases chances that eventually it will be cracked ;)

Edited by Creepin, 11 March 2006 - 09:57 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#19 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:03 AM

I am continuously amazed at how quickly reality follows satire. :wacko:

I've commented on how ridiculous the whole official "plug-in" trend is before, but still I am surprised that they are actually going through with this. :rolleyes:

I'm going to hold off buying the game itself until I find out how much "extra material" missing from the game is included in these "add-ons". ^_^

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:22 AM

I am continuously amazed at how quickly reality follows satire. :wacko:

I've commented on how ridiculous the whole official "plug-in" trend is before, but still I am surprised that they are actually going through with this. :rolleyes:

I'm going to hold off buying the game itself until I find out how much "extra material" missing from the game is included in these "add-ons". ^_^

Well, it's basically only horse armour and some other crap, everything you need to enjoy the game is in it already. Plus, the modders can imitate the official mods without using them if the construction set is what was promised.